PDA

View Full Version : So how many losses do we have to get to get this guy next year

redhawk61
05-23-2008, 01:42 AM
Steven Strasburg RHP San Diego State

Strasburg would be atop my draft board this year, if he were eligible. The big right-hander has struck out 40.41% of batters faced this year while walking a scant 3.67%. If Tony Gwynn isn’t happy enough with those ridiculous numbers, Strasburg has yet to allow a single home run despite playing the 20th most difficult schedule in a home park that favors hitters (111 PF). Strasburg’s fastball is arguably the best in college ball today. Sitting in the high-90’s with pin point command, it's a big reason why is his FIP is an astonishingly low 0.76 – cross town rival Brian Matusz’s FIP is 2.06 which is astounding in its own right but really puts Strasburg’s season in perspective. There may only be a baseball prospect worth tanking over once every 10 years, and as a Ranger fan, I want Texas to lose out so they can have a shot at a guy that I believe will be widely regarded as the best college pitcher since Mark Prior on draft day ’09.

RedlegJake
05-23-2008, 02:08 AM
SS is 8-1, a 1.28 ERA with a sick 125/11 K to BB ratio over 84 innings. His stuff is as unhittable as it's probably possible to be, and he has pin point command of a moving fastbal that can hit 98/99 and a mid-80s slider with a sharp late break. Barring a major change like an injury, the Reds would need to be the worst team to get a chance to draft him since he looks right now like the heads and tails #1 next summer pick.

Blue
05-23-2008, 02:14 AM
We'll go on a mini-tear second half and put ourselves about 7th or 8th again.

redhawk61
05-23-2008, 02:15 AM
would 61-101 get the job done?

And from the little video I saw, his mechanics look very good from an injury standpoint. He doesn't seem to do the Inverted W, instead keeping his elbow below his shoulder. Again that is from just a little bit of video.

to get to 61-101 we must go 40-74 the rest of the way. So tempting, but at the same token I am sooooo tired of losing.

Blue
05-23-2008, 02:19 AM
Nevermind my earlier post. We're 8th worst right now.

redhawk61
05-23-2008, 02:22 AM
Nevermind my earlier post. We're 8th worst right now.

We really need Griff and Dunn to step up and let a few more balls land for base hits, and for them to strike out a few more times. lol

klw
05-23-2008, 12:29 PM
I think unless the Reds play the balance of the season in the Pacific time zone or do a major fire sale that they will be hard pressed to end up with a worse record than the Giants.