PDA

View Full Version : IS manager trade with Mets possible?

wally post
05-23-2008, 01:13 PM
Based on how the New York media is frothing over Willie Randolph's head, I'm wondering if it (in a perfect world) is possible to trade for Heilman AND Randolph. We give them Dusty and Weather or another player back. Randolph would enjoy the tame media in Cincinnati and Dusty could quote -away with his non-sequiturs to the ravenous news hounds in NY.:D:beerme:

Highlifeman21
05-23-2008, 01:14 PM
Interesting concept.

Why the Mets would want The Dusty currently escapes me, though.

wally post
05-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Me neither, but maybe 'cause he's a winner? :D

flyer85
05-23-2008, 01:25 PM
I don't know about Dusty but I sure would like to ship them a package(Arroyo, Weathers, Affeldt) and get my hands on Heilman and Pelfrey.

Cyclone792
05-23-2008, 01:28 PM
I'm guessing here, but I think there's been trades involving player-managers before. I can't ever remember hearing anything about regular managers though.

Maybe activate Dusty on the roster for a day, then ship him out. I would even personally throw in a three year supply of toothpicks myself to help get that deal pushed through.

OnBaseMachine
05-23-2008, 01:38 PM
I'm guessing here, but I think there's been trades involving player-managers before. I can't ever remember hearing anything about regular managers though.

Maybe activate Dusty on the roster for a day, then ship him out. I would even personally throw in a three year supply of toothpicks myself to help get that deal pushed through.

Wasn't Lou Piniella traded from the Mariners to the Rays for Randy Winn?

rotnoid
05-23-2008, 01:40 PM
Wasn't Lou Piniella traded from the Mariners to the Rays for Randy Winn?

Was that a trade or a hey, we took your manager, here's Randy Winn to keep you quiet? I don't remember the details, I'm just asking.

OnBaseMachine
05-23-2008, 01:43 PM
Was that a trade or a hey, we took your manager, here's Randy Winn to keep you quiet? I don't remember the details, I'm just asking.

Here's a little piece I found on google:

Before entering the 2003 season, the Devil Rays decided to trade Randy Winn to the Seattle Mariners for the right to negotiate with manager Lou Piniella. Lou Piniella was a very famous Tampa native who has great managerial skills. Lou Piniella became interested and accepted the job.

http://www.barrystickets.com/pro-baseball-tickets/devil-rays-tickets.php

jmcclain19
05-23-2008, 03:15 PM
Didn't Willie Randolph lie at one time about being offered the Reds job and blasted Cincy in the media about it, only to admit the lie when he was hired as the Mets skipper?

wally post
05-23-2008, 04:29 PM
I don't know about Dusty but I sure would like to ship them a package(Arroyo, Weathers, Affeldt) and get my hands on Heilman and Pelfrey.

Whoa! If so, that's pretty dicey! Willie obviously has some insecurities and has not responded well to criticism, but i would take him over Dusty in a minute... Mr. J and Mr. C, if you are reading, please make it so!

RedFanAlways1966
05-23-2008, 10:23 PM
Aug. 3, 1960: The Indians traded manager Jimmy Dykes straight up to the Tigers for their manager, Joe Gordon, marking the only trade in-season of managers in major league history.

Nov. 5, 1976: The Pirates traded catcher Manny Sanguillen to the A's for their manager, Chuck Tanner.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-23-2008, 11:35 PM
Dusty for Randolph would be like Morgan, Menke, Billingham, Geronimo, and Armbrister for May, Helms, and Stewart all over again.

One can dare to dream.