PDA

View Full Version : Baker suspended two games

FreelFanatic
05-23-2008, 04:35 PM
I have yet to find this on any of the usual suspects: Fay, Rosecrans, etc., but I just got a text alert from MLB.com that said:

Reds manager Dusty Baker has been suspended two games for inappropriate actions during Thursday's game. His suspension will begin tonight.
----

Obviously, I can't show all of you my phone, but this is fact, according to MLB.com.

TheOnlyRedsFan
05-23-2008, 04:37 PM
i got it too just momets ago

FreelFanatic
05-23-2008, 04:40 PM
Still nothing on the web yet, nothing even on mlb.com!

Ghosts of 1990
05-23-2008, 04:46 PM
He wont be missed.

DannyB
05-23-2008, 04:57 PM
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080523/SPT04/305230094

Cincinnati Reds manager Dusty Baker has been suspended for two games and fined an undisclosed amount after making contact with umpire Eric Cooper Thursday night.

The incident happened during the seventh inning of Cincinnati's game against the San Diego Padres.

Baker’s suspension is scheduled to begin tonight, when the Reds continue their series against the Padres.

_Sir_Charles_
05-23-2008, 05:08 PM
Any chance that means Junior will be out of the #2 or #3 hole and down to the 5, 6 or 7 where he belongs? Or will Dusty still make out the lineup?

Hondo
05-23-2008, 05:11 PM
Any chance that means Junior will be out of the #2 or #3 hole and down to the 5, 6 or 7 where he belongs? Or will Dusty still make out the lineup?

I think "Dudepick" still makes out the Lineup card, then the appointed Manager makes the moves during the Game.

bgwilly31
05-23-2008, 05:40 PM
i dont believe they showed contact last night during the game. The incident happened inbetween innings and during a commercial break.

What a crock.!

Did the umpire get suspended for egging a player on by staring him down the entire time he walked out to his position! I cant stand chump power hungry umpires.

GoReds33
05-23-2008, 05:50 PM
That's terrible. The umpire was looking to throw Edwin out. Dusty was just sticking up for him. Sometimes MLB needs to take a look at the umpire before the player/manager.

RiSK
05-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Players have a union, and are able to fight any suspension; so it's much easier for MLB to just suspend a manager who cannot fight it, as they don't have a union.

Justice served, in their eyes.

Red in Atl
05-23-2008, 06:09 PM
Complete and utter BS! You can say what you want about Dusty (I like him btw), but that certainly doesn't deserve a suspension. Crazy!!!

Hondo
05-23-2008, 06:13 PM
What happens if the Reds win the NEXT 2 Games.... What will Redszone do then?

captainmorgan07
05-23-2008, 06:20 PM
Wow that's a huge suprise. I didn't see any contact when i saw it on tv last nite. Definately a big overreaction by home late ump eric cooper last nite in tossing edwin. How in the heck did he hear edwin say something while taking ground balls if edwin is that soft spoken.

jmac
05-23-2008, 07:20 PM
This isnt meant personal because alot of us feel like you.
However I think we place alot of this on Dusty when in all actuality, I doubt there would be very many managers at all that would do that right now.
Now the Patterson issue is a different story but as far as Jr, most managers would probably still bat him third.(with our current lineup I mean)

NeilHamburger
05-23-2008, 07:34 PM
Lucky Dusty, I'd rather spend the next couple days at the beach then watching a dead from the neck up ball team. Where's our Roy Hobbes, that's right, he's winning the triple crown in Texas.

Slyder
05-23-2008, 08:22 PM
Lucky Dusty, I'd rather spend the next couple days at the beach then watching a dead from the neck up ball team. Where's our Roy Hobbes, that's right, he's winning the triple crown in Texas.

Where would our rotation be without Volquez. That is all.

Any chance Dusty not going to appeal? Would like to have him gone 2 games we could honestly win, so he doesnt have an oppertunity to screw it up.

NeilHamburger
05-23-2008, 08:57 PM
It's laughable that people actually think a starting pitcher is more valuable than someone winning the triple crown right now. It's absurd really.

George Foster
05-23-2008, 10:26 PM
That's terrible. The umpire was looking to throw Edwin out. Dusty was just sticking up for him. Sometimes MLB needs to take a look at the umpire before the player/manager.

Bumping the ump was the excuse used to suspend him. He "really" got suspended for drop-kicking his hat...IMO...

HeatherC1212
05-23-2008, 10:31 PM
That is such a crock. The umpires have been HORRIBLE all season for just about every single team in a lot of different ways. I'm fed up with them all ready and I hate that there's nothing anyone can do about it. :thumbdown

Slyder
05-23-2008, 11:18 PM
It's laughable that people actually think a starting pitcher is more valuable than someone winning the triple crown right now. It's absurd really.

What exactly did our team do with one of the best offenses and the worst pitching staff this century? 7 losing seasons.

Good pitching will always beat good hitting.

FlyerFanatic
05-23-2008, 11:25 PM
What exactly did our team do with one of the best offenses and the worst pitching staff this century? 7 losing seasons.

Good pitching will always beat good hitting.

exactly...we'll see where hamilton is at the end of the year..he might lead in RBI's..about it.

joshua
05-24-2008, 04:28 AM
exactly...we'll see where hamilton is at the end of the year..he might lead in RBI's..about it.

Exactly. How many wins would that give us?
Volquez will have an awesome amount of W's by the end of the season.
I'm sick of Hamilton being brought up constantly by people looking to place blame on the ballclub. Volquez is the better bet in the long run. He's the top pitcher in the entire league right now and he's still really young and can get better and better. not only does he look amazing, but having that low of an ERA with THIS defense is absolutely incredible!

jhiller21
05-24-2008, 05:45 AM

A starting pitcher that has pitched at the caliber that Volquez has (walks and all) is worth it at this point.

7-1, 1.34ERA, 74K/32BB, 2HR

Those stats are incredible.

He may have been effectively wild so far, but it has been really effective.

Hondo
05-24-2008, 01:22 PM
Let me say this. Hamilton is awesome. Volquez is awesome.

I hated the trade because of Volquez History when it went down. I still don't like the trade because I think Volquez, with his near 1-10 record could have been had for a lot less than our Great "Diamond in the Rough" Josh Hamilton...

Wayne Krivisky did a Great job of getting EV evaluated, but gee, I don't know... At the time, Hamiltons Numbers were far superior in his limited playing time, than Volquez's numbers at the same time. So I feel that we are just Lucky to have EV pitching this good.

Orodle
05-24-2008, 02:12 PM
Let me say this. Hamilton is awesome. Volquez is awesome.

I hated the trade because of Volquez History when it went down. I still don't like the trade because I think Volquez, with his near 1-10 record could have been had for a lot less than our Great "Diamond in the Rough" Josh Hamilton...

Wayne Krivisky did a Great job of getting EV evaluated, but gee, I don't know... At the time, Hamiltons Numbers were far superior in his limited playing time, than Volquez's numbers at the same time. So I feel that we are just Lucky to have EV pitching this good.

Its not as if Hamilton was a lock to produce either. I don't want to go say he might go back to his old ways but on top of that had an injury plagued first season. Yes, his numbers were good but it was also over a small sample size.

Hondo
05-24-2008, 03:46 PM
Its not as if Hamilton was a lock to produce either. I don't want to go say he might go back to his old ways but on top of that had an injury plagued first season. Yes, his numbers were good but it was also over a small sample size.

Yeah but 19 Homers in like 275 Ab's?

Volquez numbers pretty much well sucked... (major league numbers)

dougflynn23
05-24-2008, 04:11 PM
:confused:Stop looking a gift horse in the mouth. With "Dude-Pick" gone, the chances of winning go up considerably. He's a horrible in-game manager.

Hondo
05-24-2008, 04:15 PM
:confused:Stop looking a gift horse in the mouth. With "Dude-Pick" gone, the chances of winning go up considerably. He's a horrible in-game manager.

Yeah, how much ya wanna bet the Reds win tonight with "Dudepick" locked up again?

I agree they may be better off with him serving H2O