PDA

View Full Version : Edinson Volquez dominates again

OnBaseMachine
05-24-2008, 01:04 AM
Edinson Volquez was absolutely dominant again tonight. His final line against the Padres was:

6 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 12 K...92 pitches...his command was much better tonight and it showed. He could have went another inning but had to be PH for.

For the season Volquez now has a 1.34 ERA in 60.1 innings and has allowed only 41 hits (6.1 H/9) and has struckout 74 batters (11.1 K/9). This kid has been amazing. I've never seen a Reds pitcher go on a run like Volquez has through his first 10 starts. Of his 18 outs recorded tonight, 12 were via the strikeout, five via the groundout and the other was a routine flyout. Volquez now has 75 groundouts/38 flyouts, which is right around a 2:1 GO/FO ratio. Opponents are only slugging .275 against him. Just incredible.

He's pitched well enough to be 10-0 but is only 7-1 after a blown save tonight and the victim of poor offense.

RedlegJake
05-24-2008, 02:09 AM
When you can double a guy's era, cut his K/9 rate by a third and still have a #1 pitcher that's impressive.

OnBaseMachine
05-24-2008, 02:34 AM
Volquez impresses Peavy

By Hal McCoy | Saturday, May 24, 2008, 02:22 AM
What do you think?

Edinson Volquez, as usual, was high voltage Friday night in Petco Park, only this time the Cincinnati Reds offense didn’t have his back.

Volquez struck out a career-best 12 in his six innings and held the San Diego Padres to two hits — and that wasn’t good enough for a victory.

Oh, the Reds finally scraped together a victory, accomplished when Adam Dunn crushed his 250th career home run, a down-range shot off San Diego’s Trevor Hoffman leading off the eighth inning.

It secured the Reds a 3-2 victory, ending their four-game losing streak on this west coast matriculation.

So the Reds win and Volquez gets a no-decision, maintaining his record at 7-1 and his earned run average at a major-league best 1.34.

How impressive was he? San Diego’s best pitcher, Jake Peavy, is sitting on the disabled list but he watched Volquez Friday and said, “He’s electric. Wow.”

Said Dunn, “Volquez is so good. I catch myself being a spectator, thinking I’m in the stands and I have to say, ‘Hey, I’m in this game and I might have to catch a fly ball.’”

Despite getting nothing for his hard work, Volquez called it the best game he has pitched this year, “Because I had all my pitches working. My last start (a win over Cleveland during which he gave up two runs and four hits in six innings) I wasn’t so good. I didn’t have my fastball.”

Asked when was the last time he struck out 12, he said, “Last year in the minor leagues — 12 strikeouts and a one-hitter in seven innings, also against the Padres (Class AAA Portland).”

For the Reds, it was overcoming poor baserunning. Again. It was overcoming poor offense again — just six hits.

While Volquez held a team to one run or less for the ninth time this season, the Reds could do little or nothing against 35-year-old lefthander Shawn Estes, who spent last year out of baseball recovering from Tommy John surgery.

Estes retired the first 11 Reds before Ken Griffey Jr. reached on first baseman Adrian Gonzalez’s error with two outs in the fourth.

Meanwhile, Volquez was striking out nearly everybody — his first six outs were whiffs and he had nine after four innings.

Rain began to fall heavily in the top of the fifth and Estes walked Adam Dunn. He then lost his no-hitter when Jerry Hairston Jr. singled to center. After Joey Votto struck out, play was halted and the tarp was pulled over the infield.

The last time the Reds had a game rained out in this city was 1971 — and this one continued after a 29-minute delay.

Both pitchers resumed work and Estes wiggled out of the two-on mess by striking out Paul Bako and getting Volquez to ground out.

Volquez tied his career high in strikeouts at 10 by whiffing Scott Hairston (Jerry Jr.’s little brother) to open the fifth, but he walked Luke Carlin and Estes bunted him to second.

Jody Gerut, a lefthanded hitter, shot one just over the third base bag for a run-scoring double and a 1-0 Padres lead.

The Reds threatened in the sixth but bad baserunning, an Ohio Valley malady, surfaced again.

Ryan Freel led with double but was caught off second on a comebacker to Estes hit by Corey Patterson. After Brandon Phillips walked with two outs and with Adam Dunn batting, Patterson inexplicably tried to steal third and was called out by umpire Eric Cooper on a close play.

Interim manager Chris Speier was succinct about trying to steal third base.

“When you try to steal third in that situation, you know you have to make it,” said Speier. “It has to be easy, almost a gift, because you’ve got your boy (Dunn) up there. For our situation, it looked as if he was safe, but to be honest you have to make it easy, no question mark, almost a no-throw situation.

“But Dunn had another chance and picked us up again,” Speier added.

The Reds finally solved a tiring Estes for two runs in the seventh on a ground ball RBI by Bako and a run-scoring pinch-hit by Javier Valentin.

But they ran themselves out of the inning when Freel was unable to get down a suicide squeeze bunt and Bako was caught.

San Diego tied it, 2-2, in the seventh against Jarod Burton on Khalil Greene’s single, stolen base and Hairston’s double.

Dunn, though, turned on Hoffman’s 3-and-1 pitch for his team-leading 12th homer and team-leading 30th RBI.

All that remained was for closer Francisco Cordero to do his thing — although he issued a two-out walk before getting the last out for his 10th save in 11 opportunities.

Equipment manager Rick Stowe walked up to Dunn after the game and flipped him a ball: “Number 250. Off Trevor Hoffman.”

Dunn caught it and said, “Right where I need to be — not even halfway to Ken Griffey Jr. That’s unbelievable. Not my 250, his 598. I’m ticked that it isn’t being celebrated more.”

http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/

OnBaseMachine
05-24-2008, 02:40 AM
I'd say perhaps the biggest key in Volquez striking out 12 tonight was he had an outstanding curveball. His curveball was a plus pitch tonight. When he learns to command that pitch on a consistent basis then he'll only get better, if that's possible. Solid command of the curveball leads to fewer walks (as evidenced tonight with only two in six innings).

redsrule2500
05-24-2008, 02:57 AM
Pitch efficiency is still a slight issue with Voluqez.

He hasn't been anywhere near a complete game.

fearofpopvol1
05-24-2008, 03:07 AM

In all fairness, most strikeout pitchers aren't pitch efficient and rarely pitch complete games. Now, he does walk a few too many batters and that hurts his cause, I'd agree to that.

Caveat Emperor
05-24-2008, 03:13 AM

He could've likely gone 7 and still come in around 110 pitches.

That's Harang territory for pitch efficiency, and I'll take it.

GAC
05-24-2008, 06:44 AM
I'm still befuddled as to how a 35 yr old Estes who just came back from TJ surgery dominated us. ;)

Degenerate39
05-24-2008, 08:52 AM
I hate West Coast games because I would have loved to watch The Dominican Dominator last night. I hope he continues this success all season and likewise with Hamilton.

Dom Heffner
05-24-2008, 09:18 AM

Other than Blue Jay pitchers, who throws complete games?

I'm still befuddled as to how a 35 yr old Estes who just came back from TJ surgery dominated us.

Thank you for saying this. I'll bet every fan can say this, but sometimes pitchers who are really awful can look like Tom Seaver when you look at a 6 inning sample size.

Major league pitchers are major league pitchers for a reason. The studs are good pretty much everytime out with an occasional blip, while the rest of them aren't so good so often.

Kyle Lohse is a great example of this. he is perfect one day and awful the next. it's why he hasn't been more than a 4th or 5th starter but also why he'll keep a job somewhere. Somebody has to go out there and throw and they all can't be like Peavy.

In another thread we were discussing Cliff Lee and Volquez and someone said Volquez's numbers were a bit over his head as were Lee's, but the difference is Volquez's ground ball rates combined with his strikeout rate will serve him much better than Lee could ever hope for.

The balls can't leave the yard when they are either not in play or on the ground.

GAC
05-24-2008, 09:47 AM
Last night, even in a win, our 1-2-3 spots went a collective 1 fer 12. Just glancing over this past week, that has been a pretty solid pattern. You've seen some slight mixing in (spot starts) of Freel, Hairston, and Janish in there, with Jr and Patterson being pretty much regulars.

Wanna see something that will make you sick?

Patterson over the last week...

.095 BA .095 OB% .095 SLG% .190 OPS

Jr....

.222 BA .276 OB% .333 SLG% .609 OPS

And here's the kind of production we are getting out of the top three spots in the batting order overall...

OB% SLG% OPS

#1 .314 .385 .699
#2 .304 .383 .688
#3 .324 .361 .685

A player's performance is his fault.

It's the fault of a manager (and FO) that lives in denial, says they hate to lose, things will get better, while refusing to acknowledge or do anything about it when it comes to who plays and bats where.

Falls City Beer
05-24-2008, 09:55 AM
A 24-year-old Volquez is this team's MVP; and there's not another player on this team that's within a country mile of touching him. It's 100% no contest.

Benihana
05-24-2008, 10:43 AM
Best pitcher in baseball this year- literally. Unbelievable.

kaldaniels
05-24-2008, 11:02 AM
I'd say perhaps the biggest key in Volquez striking out 12 tonight was he had an outstanding curveball. His curveball was a plus pitch tonight. When he learns to command that pitch on a consistent basis then he'll only get better, if that's possible. Solid command of the curveball leads to fewer walks (as evidenced tonight with only two in six innings).

Is it me or do George/Chris call his curveball a changeup sometimes. Maybe I'm mistaken, but if so his changeup has a heck of a lot of drop on it.

RedlegJake
05-24-2008, 11:35 AM
A 24-year-old Volquez is this team's MVP; and there's not another player on this team that's within a country mile of touching him. It's 100% no contest.

I agree. He's become the Reds loss stopper and #1 with Harang being pushed for now into the #2 slot quality wise. 1 or 2 is really not meaningful with those two. Harang has a game every 5-6 starts like his last one, while Volquez has been money every start but the rain marred outing in Pittsburgh. Another thing about EV - he still has plenty of room to improve. He can become more efficient in fewer long counts, he can improve his curve in terms of consistency. That's scary - to have his ability at this point and yet still be a 24 year old work in progress.

membengal
05-24-2008, 11:49 AM
Closest I can recall to a stretch of effeciveness like Volquez has put together from a Reds pitcher was Danny Jackson in 1988.

And even that can't touch what Volquez is doing right now.

With apologies to Brandon Webb, I do believe the best pitcher in the National League pitches for the Reds.

RedEye
05-24-2008, 11:58 AM
At what point do the Reds think about negotiating a LTC with this guy?

Spring~Fields
05-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Last night, even in a win, our 1-2-3 spots went a collective 1 fer 12. Just glancing over this past week, that has been a pretty solid pattern. You've seen some slight mixing in (spot starts) of Freel, Hairston, and Janish in there, with Jr and Patterson being pretty much regulars.

Wanna see something that will make you sick?

Patterson over the last week...

.095 BA .095 OB% .095 SLG% .190 OPS

Jr....

.222 BA .276 OB% .333 SLG% .609 OPS

And here's the kind of production we are getting out of the top three spots in the batting order overall...

OB% SLG% OPS

#1 .314 .385 .699
#2 .304 .383 .688
#3 .324 .361 .685

A player's performance is his fault.

It's the fault of a manager (and FO) that lives in denial, says they hate to lose, things will get better, while refusing to acknowledge or do anything about it when it comes to who plays and bats where.

The west coast pitching seems to have done a good job with the Reds offense

Thankfully a less than normal Hoffman 4.91 ERA made a mistake to Adam Dunn.

5/23 - 6 hits 3 runs, shutout 1-6, scored 2 runs in the seventh, one run in the ninth

5/22 - 5 hits 2 runs, shutout 2-9, scored 2 runs in the first

5/21 - 5 hits 2 runs, shutout 1,3, 5-9, scored 1 run in the second, 1 run in the fourth

5/20 - 6 hits 1 run, shutout 1-8, scored 1 run in the ninth

5/19 - 10 hits 5 runs, shutout 4, 6-9, Phillips had four and Dunn had two of those ten hits, scored 1 run 1, 2, 5 and 2 runs in the third

while refusing to acknowledge or do anything about it when it comes to who plays and bats where.

Well they may not be able to do anything about the defense and pitching right now, but they certainly could do something about what you’re writing about, I wonder how long it will take for them to act? Since this has been an issue since opening day.

Spring~Fields
05-24-2008, 12:40 PM

I have to agree on Volquez to date, as I can't see any MVP on the offense or amongst the position players at defense.

VR
05-24-2008, 12:49 PM
Closest I can recall to a stretch of effeciveness like Volquez has put together from a Reds pitcher was Danny Jackson in 1988.

On 5/31/90, Sir Jack Armstrong was 8-1 with a 1.51 ERA

OldRightHander
05-24-2008, 01:03 PM

But I think Volquez will have a better second half than Armstrong had in '90.

MWM
05-24-2008, 01:06 PM

Some time next year if he pitches well all season and continues it on the first half of next year.

BCubb2003
05-24-2008, 01:44 PM

After several bad games in a row? If he ever has them?

nate
05-24-2008, 01:44 PM

That season turned out well!

fearofpopvol1
05-24-2008, 02:17 PM
I said this in the other thread, but will say it again.

Volquez to me is by far and away the most exciting thing about the Reds this year. I find myself doing whatever I can to make myself available just to watch him pitch. I've been a Reds fan my entire life and I know that I'm younger than many that post here, but I've never seen a Reds starting pitcher in my lifetime that has just been filthy dominant the way that Volquez has been thus far.

RedsManRick
05-24-2008, 02:17 PM
I wonder when ESPN and the like will get off Cliff Lee's jock and start talking about Volquez.

BCubb2003
05-24-2008, 02:26 PM
People started the season talking about Cueto and how Harang is Mr. Unsung Cy Young, and oh yeah, this Volquez is supposed to be pretty good, too. He just took it all in with a smile, and then started blowing people away.

OnBaseMachine
05-24-2008, 03:28 PM
People started the season talking about Cueto and how Harang is Mr. Unsung Cy Young, and oh yeah, this Volquez is supposed to be pretty good, too. He just took it all in with a smile, and then started blowing people away.

FWIW, I said before the season Edinson Volquez would be the Reds best pitcher by the end of the season.

OnBaseMachine
05-25-2008, 02:18 AM
Another Volquez convert

San Diego manager Bud Black was more than a fair major-league pitcher so it means something when he is eloquent about Edinson Volquez.

On the day after Volquez held the Padres to one run and two hits with 12 strikeouts over six innings, Black said, "Great stuff. Liked the delivery, liked the arm action, liked his willingness to throw his off-speed pitches behind in the count and throw them for strikes.

"There is a lot to like about him, and a lot to like about those three pitches he throws," Black added. "He can strike you out with velocity, he can strike you out with a change-up, and he can strike you out with a breaking ball. His ERA is 1.34 for a very good reason."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2008/05/25/ddn052508spredsnotesweb.html

GAC
05-25-2008, 07:36 AM

If he keeps that pace up I wholeheartedly agree. No doubt. But keep an eye on this Votto kid too if he continues to heat up.

Ron Madden
05-26-2008, 04:20 AM
I hope Dusty doesn't ruin Volquez like Narron did The Lizard.

:(

redsrule2500
05-26-2008, 04:42 AM
I hope Dusty doesn't ruin Volquez like Narron did The Lizard.

I hope you just didn't compare Edinson Volquez to Elizardo Ramirez.....

OnBaseMachine
05-26-2008, 11:33 AM
There was no way I would've pitched Volquez in that game last night. He clearly didn't have anything, and that's understandable considering he was pitching on one days rest. His fastball was still running up there at 95/96 but changeup was really flat. It usually has the dip and dive movement but it really flattened out last night due to lack of rest. I seriously would've pitched a position play before Volquez. Giving up a walk-off homerun can be tough mentally, so hopefully Volquez can put that behind him and move forward. It will be interesting to see how he responds his next start both mentally and physically.

KoryMac5
05-26-2008, 11:44 AM
There was no way I would've pitched Volquez in that game last night. He clearly didn't have anything, and that's understandable considering he was pitching on one days rest. His fastball was still running up there at 95/96 but changeup was really flat. It usually has the dip and dive movement but it really flattened out last night due to lack of rest. I seriously would've pitched a position play before Volquez. Giving up a walk-off homerun can be tough mentally, so hopefully Volquez can put that behind him and move forward. It will be interesting to see how he responds his next start both mentally and physically.

We need to put this hurting Volquez confidence stuff to bed. There is nothing out there to make me believe that giving up a home run that won the game would shake this guy. He has confidence in his stuff, he shows that on the mound and in his interviews. I have seen nothing thus far tro show me that he will have an Ankiel, Wohlers, Moore type melt down. This is just more piling on, believe me we have enough to pile on Dusty about without the dime store psychoanalysis.

KronoRed
05-26-2008, 11:59 AM

An arm is an arm, the talent in it might be different but overuse is always a bad thing.

Matt700wlw
05-26-2008, 01:53 PM
N A S T Y is what he is. His last start was a joy to watch

Why did he pitch last night? Did Josh Fogg pitch last night?

Ron Madden
05-26-2008, 02:05 PM

I was comparing the situations they were thrown into.

I hope you can understand that.

BCubb2003
05-26-2008, 02:10 PM
From interviews, Volquez seems like one of the brightest players in a long time. I think he'll be OK.

fearofpopvol1
05-26-2008, 02:13 PM
I don't see it as such a bad thing. I mean, it was bound to happen sooner or later. It's not always good for people to be too confident.

Ron Madden
05-26-2008, 02:25 PM
I'm more worried about his arm than his head.

WebScorpion
05-27-2008, 10:27 AM
N A S T Y is what he is. His last start was a joy to watch

Why did he pitch last night? Did Josh Fogg pitch last night?

Yes, Josh Fogg pitched. We used 10 pitchers and had 3 blown saves. (Weathers, Cordero, and Bray) The only pitchers who did not pitch were the previous night's starter, Arroyo, and the kid, Cueto, who has the young arm which really needs protection. Volquez is beyond the age where he needs to be babied, I really don't have a problem with him being used here. If it hadn't ended, I'd expect Arroyo to be next and Cueto would have been the last resort before position players. Hopefully, we won't have too many more 18 inning games.

bucksfan2
05-27-2008, 10:42 AM
Yes, Josh Fogg pitched. We used 10 pitchers and had 3 blown saves. (Weathers, Cordero, and Bray) The only pitchers who did not pitch were the previous night's starter, Arroyo, and the kid, Cueto, who has the young arm which really needs protection. Volquez is beyond the age where he needs to be babied, I really don't have a problem with him being used here. If it hadn't ended, I'd expect Arroyo to be next and Cueto would have been the last resort before position players. Hopefully, we won't have too many more 18 inning games.

Arroyo had been used as a PH earlier in the game.

Games like sunday happen every once in a while. Pitching in relief once every 2-3 years isn't going to kill a pitcher. You can't plan for an 18 inning game and you have to adapt and use the roster the best you possibly can. I agree that we need to stop babying Volquez. He still is a young arm but it has been through the ringer before.