PDA

View Full Version : Blown home run calls

OldRightHander
05-24-2008, 12:53 PM
They're kind of making a big deal out of some of the recent blown home run calls on XM 175 lately and it got me to thinking about how many there have been over the years. I have to believe that it's not really a new phenomenon. There are a couple more that come to mind that happened a few years ago, one which I was in attendance for.

The one I witnessed in person was sometime in the early 90s. I don't remember the year except that Tim Belcher was the starting pitcher that night and Lou was still managing. There were two outs in the 6th inning and the Reds were down a run with Belcher coming up to bat. Lou left him in instead of pinch hitting for him and Belcher went deep to tie the game. Then Larkin came up and hit one out to right field. After he touched home the umpire told him to go back to second and ruled it a double. The ball had cleared the right field fence right under that section of blue seats that were in fair territory by less than a foot and hit off one of the metal support beams that supported the seats, coming right back onto the field. I was sitting down the right field line and could see it clear the wall and come off that beam as clear as anything, but the ump thought it went off the top of the wall and Larking only got credited with a double. No harm was done since Morris followed up with a double and Larking scored anyway. Lou got a little hot under the collar as well.

The other one was in Wrigley Field. I think it was Bret Boone who hit one deep and foul down the left field line and the ump called it fair and Boone got a homer. The Cubs fans went nuts and the rest of the game there was a group of fans who would twirl their fingers in the air with the home run sign every time a player fouled a pitch off. It was really a pretty bad call and the reaction of the Cubs fans was quite humorous as well.

Those are two that I remember well. There have been others I have seen on tv, but those two stick out for some reason.

Big Klu
05-24-2008, 10:46 PM
Larkin's lost homer would have been in 1992. That was the only season that both Tim Belcher and Lou Piniella were with the club.

George Anderson
05-24-2008, 11:41 PM
Back in the early 80's, there was a blown call in a game at Wrigley Field that Mario Soto went absolute nuts over and I think it was over a blown home run call.

blumj
05-25-2008, 01:01 AM
We get a decent number of them at Fenway, off the little ledge on top of the green monster, but it's funny that they make that mistake since the ball bounces straight up when it hits the ledge. I don't know how it isn't obvious that the ball's hit off a horizontal surface instead of a vertical one. But these really are new, since there used to just be a screen before they put seats up there.

redsmetz
05-25-2008, 05:54 AM
What I don't understand about the Larkin call is if the ball came right back on the field (whether off the beam as you say, or off the wall) and he crossed home plate on the run, why wasn't it considered an inside the park home run by the ump? What made it a ground rule double for him to return to 2nd? Clearly he circled the bases without having been stopped or put out.

OldRightHander
05-25-2008, 09:26 AM
What I don't understand about the Larkin call is if the ball came right back on the field (whether off the beam as you say, or off the wall) and he crossed home plate on the run, why wasn't it considered an inside the park home run by the ump? What made it a ground rule double for him to return to 2nd? Clearly he circled the bases without having been stopped or put out.

That's what we were saying in the stands. Maybe that's why Lou went so nuts. Channel 12 showed a nice replay that evening that showed the ball going out and coming back off the beam. Anyone else think maybe they should have video replay for homers?

bucksfan2
05-25-2008, 12:00 PM
There was a game back in the early 90's when I believe Mark Lewis' HR got reversed. We were eating dinner with my family and friends at Willies in Covington and I remember Lewis going deep and the fireworks going off. I remember watching the TV and the HR call getting reversed when the replays showed the ball wrapped around the pole.

cumberlandreds
05-25-2008, 01:10 PM
That's what we were saying in the stands. Maybe that's why Lou went so nuts. Channel 12 showed a nice replay that evening that showed the ball going out and coming back off the beam. Anyone else think maybe they should have video replay for homers?

To answer your question, I think it's way past time to have replay of disputed HR calls. This should have been implemented a decade ago. By the time the umps huddle to discuss and then the ensuing argument by a mangager you could have determined beyond a doubt one way or another.