PDA

View Full Version : Lehr sold to Korean League...

LawFive
05-24-2008, 05:56 PM
according to ESPN. Hope they're wrong, as their transaction list isn't the most accurate. Pitchers with a <1 WHIP and 4:1 K/BB are NOT what the Reds need to be getting rid of right now - even if he is a career AAA guy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/transactions

reds44
05-24-2008, 05:58 PM
Wayne trying to pay off some more of those contracts...err....wait.

Gainesville Red
05-24-2008, 05:58 PM
Rosecrans has the same thing. Pretty weird.

savafan
05-24-2008, 06:04 PM
Huh??? Why?

Joseph
05-24-2008, 06:12 PM
At least Walt did something finally.

He's starting to make Dan O'Brien look impetuous.

oneupper
05-24-2008, 06:24 PM
This is a punking with the help of ESPN...
You can't sell someone to Korea (or Japan) without their consent.

kaldaniels
05-24-2008, 06:27 PM

In all seriousness are you saying this story is not correct.

mth123
05-24-2008, 06:28 PM

How do you know Lehr didn't agree to it? Maybe the Korean team was offering more money than he was ever likely to earn in the US. Guy has one chance at a lottery winnings earning style career. Maybe he wanted to get it before more time ticked off his career clock.

oneupper
05-24-2008, 06:29 PM
In all seriousness are you saying this story is not correct.

That is my impression. Unless Lehr wanted to go to Korea, I really don't think they can do this.

blumj
05-24-2008, 06:31 PM
No, of course not. If this is legit, it would be because he wanted to go there and asked them to do it.

oneupper
05-24-2008, 06:33 PM
How do you know Lehr didn't agree to it? Maybe the Korean team was offering more money than he was ever likely to earn in the US. Guy has one chance at a lottery winnings earning style career. Maybe he wanted to get it before more time ticked off his career clock.

That's the only way you do a deal like this. Player wants it, Korean team kicks in a consideration to the US team for the contract.

How much could Lehr expect to make in Korea, though?

Doosan's 2007 Payroll is listed at 2.8 billion won or about $2.5 mm.

mth123
05-24-2008, 06:44 PM
That's the only way you do a deal like this. Player wants it, Korean team kicks in a consideration to the US team for the contract.

How much could Lehr expect to make in Korea, though?

Maybe he had a 7 figure deal in front of him or even $500K or so. It probably wouldn't have to be huge to be better than what he was earning in AAA on a minor league contract. My guess is that Lehr had an out in his contract if he wasn't on the big league team by Memorial Day, so the Reds let him shop himself around and he found no takers in the big leagues. His agent probably got some interest overseas and the money was substantially better than minor league money.

Again, this is a guess. I really don't think its a hoax, he's been off the AAA roster for a few days now and was scratched from his last start IIRC.

blumj
05-24-2008, 06:49 PM
It wouldn't necessarily have to be just about making more money, it's a different opportunity, something new after a lot of years of the same old thing.

Spring~Fields
05-24-2008, 08:27 PM
according to ESPN. Hope they're wrong, as their transaction list isn't the most accurate. Pitchers with a <1 WHIP and 4:1 K/BB are NOT what the Reds need to be getting rid of right now - even if he is a career AAA guy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/transactions

Well he is off the Bats roster, must be some truth to it.

RedsManRick
05-24-2008, 08:59 PM
Lehr is a 30 year with a pretty well established AAAA upside having a nice year in AAAA. No clue how much cash we got, but I see no problem with this either way. He was just minor league fodder.

Rounding Third
05-24-2008, 09:22 PM
Maybe more importantly, there is now an open spot in the AAA rotation. Is somebody going up? Or somebody going down?

My guess, Thompson up.

cincinnati chili
05-24-2008, 09:34 PM
The last time I checked the uniform player contract only allows assignments to MLB organizations. However, Players get sold to foreign teams all the time. That doesn't mean the player has to report. I have no idea what happens if he refuses.

Reds Fanatic
05-24-2008, 10:29 PM
This is from Fay's blog:

The Reds sold the contract of Justin Lehr to the Doosan Bears of the Korean League. You'd think that would open a spot for Daryl Thompson in Triple-A. Thompson pitch six innings, allowing two runs on four hits in Chattanooga's 11-5 win over West Tenn. He struck out seven and walked none. He's 3-2 with a 1.76 ERA. He given up 43 hits, struck out 56 and walked 14 in 61 1/3 innings.

camisadelgolf
05-25-2008, 12:08 PM
Ramon Ramirez is taking Lehr's spot. Also, it was in Lehr's contract that if he weren't with the Reds, he would be moved.