PDA

View Full Version : Over/under on how long it takes George Grande to know...

Blitz Dorsey
05-24-2008, 07:42 PM
... How to pronounce the name of the Reds' general manager??? The man's name is of course Walt Jocketty, but Grande has consistently called him JockERty. Even during a sit-down interview with 'ol Walt, Grande kept mispronouncing his name.

Why does FSN really need George Grande doing Reds' games anymore? I think they can find a rotation that includes TBrennaman/Brantley/Welsh and a new PBP guy who doesn't root for the other team and/or tell stories about how he knows player X's cousin and my oh my is she a good mud wrestler. Quite fine in water polo as well. Oh yeah, Edinson Volquez just struck out his 11th batter. Or was it his 12? Oh, no one cares about that stuff. We'll be right back Cards, er, Dodger, er, Reds fans!"

Unassisted
05-24-2008, 08:10 PM
Maybe George is close to vesting in the retirement plan and they're letting him hang around until it vests?

Rounding Third
05-24-2008, 08:20 PM
At least he gets Jerry "Harriston" Jr correct.

reds44
05-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Reminds me of Chris Denorfria.

MWM
05-24-2008, 08:29 PM
He still calls Albert Pujols "pull-holz".

OldRightHander
05-24-2008, 08:38 PM
I don't know about Grande, but I have heard more than one announcer say Encanarcion instead of Encarnacion in the last couple weeks.

TeamBoone
05-24-2008, 09:57 PM
Believe it or not, George Grande is highly respected in the baseball world. And I like him too. I've also heard/seen him emceeing events in person. He's excellent!

Do I ever get a bit aggravated... yeah, sure. But it's nothing major.... and not nearly as much as I get aggravated with he-who-shall-not-be-named.

Be careful what you wish for; it could be much much worse.

MWM
05-24-2008, 11:07 PM
I agree with you, TB. I don't love listening to him, but overall he does a good job of calling the game. He's a bit annoying at times (constantly touting the virtues of small ball), but he's not a bad commentator.

Blitz Dorsey
05-24-2008, 11:22 PM
I don't care how respected he is around the good-old-boys club for all the butt-smooching he's done over the years. I've listened to far too many baseball games over the years on radio and TV and I can say George Grande is clearly the worst PBP man I've ever heard. (At least one that keeps a job for an extended period of time.) He is a disaster. I don't care how long he's been around the game, he doesn't "get" baseball. I don't need someone overly-critical, but I at least need someone who can keep it real. George Grande is the polar opposite of keeping it real. Everything is rosy BS.

MWM
05-24-2008, 11:26 PM
You forgot to add the "IMO" at the end of your post.

Blitz Dorsey
05-25-2008, 12:19 AM
No I didn't. Not this time.

MWM
05-25-2008, 12:39 AM
Well, I must have missed it then. Because it really is just your opinion.

I had Extra Innings for a few years and I've heard some attrocious annoucers.

OnBaseMachine
05-25-2008, 01:11 AM
Put me in the camp that likes George Grande

Stormy
05-25-2008, 01:17 AM
Put me in the camp that likes George Grande

He's a good guy, and has some nice commentating and vocal qualities. Maybe not ideal if you're looking for analytical insight into the game, but I'm not sure why a PBP commentator is expected to be an analyst. He's supposed to call the game cleanly, and with an upbeat and interest-maintaining demeanor. He does all of that, and aside from a few annoyances, I have no problems with him.

OnBaseMachine
05-25-2008, 01:27 AM
He's a good guy, and has some nice commentating and vocal qualities. Maybe not ideal if you're looking for analytical insight into the game, but I'm not sure why a PBP commentator is expected to be an analyst. He's supposed to call the game cleanly, and with an upbeat and interest-maintaining demeanor. He does all of that, and aside from a few annoyances, I have no problems with him.

One of the nicest guys I've met. I remember getting his autograph when I was about ten years old. He stood around and talked with fans for a long time. He's one of the better guys in the game. Like Joe Nuxhall, you never hear him say a bad thing about a player on either team.

mth123
05-25-2008, 04:25 AM

Agreed.

redsrule2500
05-25-2008, 04:34 AM
I have nothing against Grande, besides the slightly less critical look he takes on the Reds. To counter that, we do have Marty.

GAC
05-25-2008, 06:06 AM

Thoroughly agree Stormy. Good post.

No, he is not very good from an analytical perspective, if that is what one is looking for. But is that really his job? I thought that was more of Welsh's role?

We could do far worse then George Grande. Do we know of an announcer that pleases everyone? :lol:

I really never researched much on George Grande, as far as his background and such. But I found this very interesting....

He hosted the very first broadcast of SportsCenter on ESPN in 1979. In the early years of the network, he served as host of the "Inside Baseball" weekly magazine program that evolved into the current Baseball Tonight program on ESPN.

He was the pbp guy for the Yankees in '89 and '90.

He graduated from USC in 1969, where he won the 1968 College World Series while playing for USC's prestigious baseball program. While at USC, he played with 14 future Major Leaguers, including Hall of Famer Tom Seaver and slugger Dave Kingman.

He is also on the board of directors for USA Baseball.

signature baseball calls

Opening line: Hi, hello, and welcome everyone! Along with the "crafty" lefthander Chris Welsh, I'm George Grande.

For a double play: Six, Four, yes siree three. (This began as "Six, four, three, yes siree!")

For a home run: Its gonna beeeeeeee gone!

For a spectacular defensive catch: HE GOT IT! HE GOT IT!

Discussing a player: [Insert name], You know his story.

When Reds win: The Reds ended up on the smiling side of the scoreboard this evening.

After a game: This is George Grande for Chris Welsh and the whole FSN crew, see you at the ballpark everybody!

Hap
05-25-2008, 09:05 AM
Have we ever had a Grande-bashing thread before?

GAC
05-25-2008, 09:40 AM
Have we ever had a Grande-bashing thread before?

Here at Redszone we leave no stone unturned. :cool:

Rounding Third
05-25-2008, 09:42 AM
I don't care how respected he is around the good-old-boys club for all the butt-smooching he's done over the years. I've listened to far too many baseball games over the years on radio and TV and I can say George Grande is clearly the worst PBP man I've ever heard. (At least one that keeps a job for an extended period of time.) He is a disaster. I don't care how long he's been around the game, he doesn't "get" baseball. I don't need someone overly-critical, but I at least need someone who can keep it real. George Grande is the polar opposite of keeping it real. Everything is rosy BS.

Have you heard Jeff Brantley attempt play-by-play?

Blitz Dorsey
05-25-2008, 11:14 AM
Brantley is in his second year (not exactly an extended period of time) and should never be in a PBP role. He is a TV color man and very good at it. Not sure why the Reds choose to make him call a couple innings on radio PBP (actually I do know, but that's not the point).

People are missing the point on George Grande. He makes things SO rosey that he skews the call of the game. You can't trust anything Grande says. He will make an obvious error then not correct himself (there's a deep drive, oh, the shortstop hauls it in). Or, there will be a guy on second with one out, the batter will ground out, giving the Reds a guy on third with two outs and Grande will say "Boy he got the job done there." Uh, no he didn't. Yes it's easier to score from third than second with two outs, but never in the history of baseball has a hitter considered it successful moving a runner over in that situation. The only time that is successful is if there are zero out and you move the runner to third with one out. Then a sac fly gets him in.

Grande doesn't need to be more analytical, he just needs to get out of the way and not be peaches-and-cream about everything. I don't need to know about his old love affairs with Jerry Hairston Sr. I don't need to know about his man-love for everyone in the St. Louis Cardinals organization. That's not the job of a PBP man either.

Hap
05-25-2008, 11:53 AM
And then there was the time that David Ross hit a walk-off HR (to center field) against the Cardinals and instead of being excited for the Reds and complementing Ross, GG morphed the situation into a Edmonds love-fest by saying that Edmonds almost caught it, even though the ball was 20-30 feet over his head.

KronoRed
05-25-2008, 12:14 PM
Eh Grande is still better then anyone else the Reds have on tv/radio.

IMO

Blitz Dorsey
05-25-2008, 01:07 PM
Beyond the "shiny happy people holding hands" persona, George Grande just does not know baseball very well IMO. He is proof you can be around a sport for a long time and still not know very much about it. (Mike Brown, anyone?) Saying Grande makes "annoying" comments throughout the game is being very kind. He makes every hitter sound like Babe Ruth and every pitcher like Sandy Koufax. I want my PBP man to be accurate, not over the top critical and not over the top nice.

Listen, I am glad the guy is a nice man, it's just his time as a Reds announcer has passed IMO. I can't believe people think he's better to listen to than Thom Brennaman. Thom is an example of being able to call it right down the middle. He calls a spade a spade and will then talk up that exact same player when he deserves it. Baseball PBP guys need to editorialize more than other PBP announcers -- it's just the way it is. Can't have too much of it though. Grande just keeps getting worse.

Screwball
05-25-2008, 01:12 PM
Listen, I am glad the guy is a nice man, it's just his time as a Reds announcer has passed IMO. I can't believe people think he's better to listen to than Thom Brennaman. Thom is an example of being able to call it right down the middle. He calls a spade a spade and will then talk up that exact same player when he deserves it.

I agree. I really enjoy when Thom does PBP with Welsh. Grande just annoys the crap out of me (seriously George, not every fly ball is a bloop. And for the love of Pete, can somebody please tell him to never say "Prince Albert" again?).

Hap
05-25-2008, 01:15 PM
and not every routine pop fly is "hit pretty good"

GAC
05-25-2008, 02:45 PM
and not every routine pop fly is "hit pretty good"

:lol:

I'm glad someone else notices that!

Tony Cloninger
05-25-2008, 05:17 PM
Thom is better and just like it was said...he calls it like it is and does not sit there and drone on about other things that have nothing to do with the game or what is going on during that game.

kaldaniels
05-25-2008, 05:36 PM
My issue with Grande is his insistence on superlatives...

"No one works harder at stealing bases than Juan Pierre"....say what??? He threw that gem out during the LA series.

If there was a thread with a post added everytime Grande threw up one of those it would be 10 pages long by the end of the year.

sonny
05-25-2008, 07:22 PM
IMO, matt Vasgersian is the best in the business, we should get him in the TV booth.