PDA

View Full Version : Red-hot Dunn getting job done

OnBaseMachine
05-24-2008, 11:55 PM
Red-hot Dunn getting job done
Left fielder enters Saturday with nine-game hitting streak
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

SAN DIEGO -- The difference between red-hot-hitting Adam Dunn and stone-cold Adam Dunn is apparently minuscule.

The Reds left fielder has his average up to .248 entering Saturday, with a team-leading 12 home runs and 30 RBIs. During his nine-game hitting streak, he is 12-for-27 (.444) with six homers and 11 RBIs and raised his average from .203.

That's a not-so-minuscule jump to the Reds.

"Dunn has gotten hot, hasn't he? It's beautiful," Reds manager Dusty Baker said.

When Dunn was off to a slow start and his production was lousy, he continually insisted that he was feeling fine at the plate and seeing the ball.

"I made a few minor adjustments but as far as seeing the ball and feeling good, I don't feel any better or worse than I felt in spring," Dunn said on Saturday. "It's little stuff and it has nothing to do with the game. It's more batting-practice stuff. I have to give a lot of credit to [hitting coach] Brook Jacoby. He brought up something to try and kind of close off a little more during batting practice. So I've been doing that. It's the only thing different."

Many of Dunn's homers have been big ones. On Saturday, the Reds snapped a four-game skid with a 3-2 win when Dunn hit a solo homer off of Trevor Hoffman in the top of the ninth inning. It was No. 250 for his career, which is one shy of Ted Kluszewski's franchise record for a left-handed hitter.

At one point this week, Dunn homered in a career-best five-straight games. Last weekend vs. the Indians, Dunn was responsible for the go-ahead run in all three wins, including two via homers.

"I think that's coincidental," Dunn said. "I've been getting pitches to hit in those situations. I'm just not missing them."

Despite the slow start, Dunn is projected to hit 41 home runs and 104 RBIs -- which is on track for his usual production -- and he's currently batting at his career average. He's hit 40 homers in each of the previous four seasons and had 100 runs/100 RBIs in three of the last four seasons.

It's a pivotal season for Dunn, who is playing out the option year in his contract, worth $13 million. He is eligible to be a free agent this winter for the first time.

There has been no mention of a contract extension between Dunn and general manager Walt Jocketty.

"I haven't had that talk," Dunn said. "We'll see what happens. I'm not going to go out and track him down."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080524&content_id=2765187&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Spring~Fields
05-25-2008, 12:29 AM
Dunn has been doing an outstanding job and has provided a lot of enjoyable baseball lately. It was interesting too, because when I was tracking the stats heavy for awhile and when Dunn started hitting, those numbers just shot up, daylight and dark difference.

GAC
05-25-2008, 07:43 AM
Here's what a "bad" Adam Dunn did in April.....

.232 BA .396 OB% .415 SLG% .811 OPS

The last 7 days....

.476 BA .607 OB% 1.095 SLG% 1.702 OPS

May....

.283 BA .400 OB% .717 SLG% 1.117 OPS

Look at the OB% even when he was considered to be terrible.

Wake up FO (and Dusty too)..... what are you waiting for? IMHO, the longer you wait, and if he continues to surge, the more you be paying. ;)

I would love to see a 3-4-5 of EE, Dunn, Votto right now, with BP 6th and Jr 7th. I simply think EE would do better hitting in front of these two (see better pitches).

With Freel and Hairston 1-2.

C'mon Dusty... give it a shot man!

mth123
05-25-2008, 09:35 AM
Here's what a "bad" Adam Dunn did in April.....

.232 BA .396 OB% .415 SLG% .811 OPS

The last 7 days....

.476 BA .607 OB% 1.095 SLG% 1.702 OPS

May....

.283 BA .400 OB% .717 SLG% 1.117 OPS

Look at the OB% even when he was considered to be terrible.

Wake up FO (and Dusty too)..... what are you waiting for? IMHO, the longer you wait, and if he continues to surge, the more you be paying. ;)

I would love to see a 3-4-5 of EE, Dunn, Votto right now, with BP 6th and Jr 7th. I simply think EE would do better hitting in front of these two (see better pitches).

With Freel and Hairston 1-2.

C'mon Dusty... give it a shot man!

Agree with your sentiments about Dunn. Steel calls him "slump proof" and the OBP numbers you show even when he is going bad hammers that point home. I just don't get why other people don't see that.

Dunn, Votto, Bruce, EdE and Phillips should form a fine offensive core for years if Dunn is re-signed. Let Janish and Keppinger share SS based on whether its a fly ball guy pitching (play Kepp) or a ground ball guy (play Janish). I actually have no problem with Patterson/Freel/Hairston in CF as long as Patterson would bat low in the order. Fly ball pitcher on the mound for the Reds? Let Patterson play out there and bat 7th with Keppinger (Hairston until Kepp returns) at SS leading off. Ground ball guy? Let Freel/Hairston play CF and lead-off with Janish at SS hitting 7th. The Reds shouldn't be platooning based on who the opposing pitcher is. They should be platooning based upon who their own pitcher is. The current catcher situation is among the worst in baseball (if not the worst) and should always hit 8th until a better guy is acquired.

Sign Dunn and this team can move forward if deployed properly. Let Bruce upgrade RF, get a better catcher, let the kid pitchers grow-up and reinforce the rotation (improvement from Cueto, arrival of Bailey/Maloney/Thompson) and bullpen (Roenicke/Herrara/Pelland/Fisher/Lutz/Viola).

Letting Dunn go would probably call for a bigger reconstruction and will push the timeline back for years IMO.

Degenerate39
05-25-2008, 09:38 AM
Dunn has a 10 game hit streak going on too doesn't he? I'm glad Dunn has came around from the slow start and into this red hot preformance.

BTW What's the record for most consecutive seasons with 40 or more homers?

GAC
05-25-2008, 09:44 AM
Agree with your sentiments about Dunn. Steel calls him "slump proof" and the OBP numbers you show even when he is going bad hammers that point home. I just don't get why other people don't see that.

I respect various fan's opinions of the guy. I deal with the Dunn cliches every day at work. The only person that really counts, as far as seeing (or not seeing) it, is this manager. ;)

Will M
05-25-2008, 10:26 AM
I have never been a Dunn fan but am starting to think his offense is too important to the Reds to let him walk at the end of the year.

The Reds can afford a weak glove in LF. Most teams have one ( Alou, Carlos Lee, Soriano, Chris Duncan,etc ). The Reds just can't have bad defense at 3 or 4 positions.

Spring~Fields
05-25-2008, 01:52 PM
Ranking among National League qualified batters :
Dunn 15. OBP .400 18. SLG .531 13. OPS .924

Phillips 54. OBP .340 19. SLG .529 26. OPS .869

Votto 60. OBP .331 22. SLG .524 32. OPS .855

Encarcion 63. OBP .330 42. SLG .452 55. OPS .782

Griffey Jr. 59. OBP .333 77. SLG .369 74. OPS .702