PDA

View Full Version : What if we win 3 of these 7 games?

Phhhl
05-25-2008, 02:22 AM
And what if we don't?

It looks like the good guys are going to go 2-4 on this west coast trip heading into game 7. A 3-4 trip to the west coast, if the good Lord is willing and the creek don't rise, is not the apocolypse. In fact, neither is 2-5. Accounting for the 6 game winning streak, that would still be 8 and 5 in half a month of games, and trending upward. The Rockies overcame a deficit like the one we face right now in the last two weeks of last year, captured the NL championship and went to the world series. Since then, they have only proven that they are probably a worse baseball team than the Reds were the entire time.

Just sayin'...

There are many reasons to go to the ballpark with Harang, Volquez and Arroyo pitching like they are moving foreward. There are not many teams with a top three like this. The first four days of this road trip sucked big time, but it is no reason to lose perspective.

VR
05-25-2008, 02:26 AM
Agree Santo. One day closer to Bruce getting here.....outside of Harang...whom you know is going to be OK, the starting pitching was solid for the trip. I remain confident in seeing some greatly improved baseball over the remainder of the year.

redsrule2500
05-25-2008, 05:37 AM
3-4 on the west coast would be amazing.

GAC
05-25-2008, 06:51 AM
Greg Maddux simply amazes me. I have to say that in my lifetime he is one of the best pitchers I have ever seen. He is just a class act IMO.

At age 42 he is 3-4 with a 3.94 ERA, WHIP of 1.26. Over 59 innings he has given up 26 ERs, only 5 long balls, walked only 9, while striking out 29.

Belisle is going to have to throw a game like his last outing to win IMO.

Edskin
05-25-2008, 11:19 AM
Greg Maddux simply amazes me. I have to say that in my lifetime he is one of the best pitchers I have ever seen. He is just a class act IMO.

At age 42 he is 3-4 with a 3.94 ERA, WHIP of 1.26. Over 59 innings he has given up 26 ERs, only 5 long balls, walked only 9, while striking out 29.

Belisle is going to have to throw a game like his last outing to win IMO.

Maddux certainly isn't the pitcher he was ten years ago, BUT...he is still clearly a quality ML starter-- and at 42, I see no reason that he shouldn't be able to find a spot in a rotation next year and the year after that.... I think Maddux could easily still be pitching past his mid 40's-- which is just ridiculous.

I'm not familiar with the particulars of his contract, but I would assume he has a no-trade clause, but I would also assume he would want to pitch for a contender if possible. SD is really bad, and I do not see them contending again for a few years (they need to totally revamp the offense). If someone comes calling, which they most certainly will, I could see Maddux pitching in a different uni by the deadline.

RedsManRick
05-25-2008, 04:53 PM
Greg Maddux is DIPS in action. It's beautiful to watch. If you don't beat yourself with walks and homers, you're going to be a major league quality pitcher.

HokieRed
05-25-2008, 09:06 PM
I don't see how anybody can look at today's game and be hopeful for the rest of the season. The only hope I can see is if Jocketty starts cutting people loose, starting with Patterson, Fogg, and Belisle.