PDA

View Full Version : Lehr = cash = DFA Corey = Bruce

I(heart)Freel
05-25-2008, 01:18 PM
Purely speculation, but do you almost get the feeling that a club always on the prowl for pitching just might have sold a decent AAA guy for cash for a very specific reason?

Follow me here... Walt asks Bob if he can release Corey, knowing it's going to cost the club about $2 mill (left on the season). Bob grimaces, recalling that he's eaten a lot of dead money this year. Walt says, let me ease the burden and see if I can't make a buck somewhere.

He looks at the minor league contracts and sees that he would be allowed to sell Lehr. He finds a taker. He does the deal, which essentially could be two additions by subtraction. Thompson moves up to AAA, and there's cash to offset the Corey release, which allows the club to bring up Bruce just in time for a homestand.

Junior's 600 isnt nearly as marketable as everyone hoped (which is a d*mn shame, by the way). So Bruce up is good for baseball AND business.

Speculation... sure. But I could see it.

BEETTLEBUG
05-25-2008, 02:06 PM
I think that makes good since. How come I didn't see that? Guess I am not Baseball smart enough.

Homer Bailey
05-25-2008, 02:27 PM
I can only hope what your saying is the truth.

HalMorrisRules
05-25-2008, 03:22 PM
Guys, there isnt anything more going on here than the Reds honoring a clause in a contract.

“Lehr had a clause in his contract that said if a Korean club approached him, we had to let him go and that’s exactly what happened,” said general manager Walt Jocketty. “We had an opportunity to match their offer but it wasn’t something we wanted to do.

Hal McCoy Blog (http://www.daytondailynews.com/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/entries/2008/05/24/the_team_bus_was_parked.html)

Ghosts of 1990
05-25-2008, 03:32 PM
The Reds aren't smart enough to bring up bruce... if they were he'd be here by now and in the lineup today.

They're running out of excuses and honestly just look foolish to everyone else including fans, media, and those who are around the game. The Reds look like they have Egg on their face all too often.

05-25-2008, 04:22 PM
The entire team payroll of the Korean team that purchased Lehr is around $2M. Doubt whatever money the Reds got could offset Corey's meal money, let alone his salary.

Bruce may very well be coming up soon, but it will have nothing to do with Lehr's sale.

IrishDavidKY
05-25-2008, 05:19 PM
Bruce is hitting .363 w/ 10hrs. and 37rbi.... It's way overdue! Bring him to Cincy!!

NarrowStairs
05-25-2008, 05:48 PM
Bakers first game back
1. Patterson CF
2. Hairston SS

Wow. Can we please hit this guy with a brick?

Ghosts of 1990
05-25-2008, 06:00 PM
Bakers first game back
1. Patterson CF
2. Hairston SS

Wow. Can we please hit this guy with a brick?

Why is baker so stubborn and foolish?

HalMorrisRules
05-25-2008, 06:06 PM
The entire team payroll of the Korean team that purchased Lehr is around $2M. Doubt whatever money the Reds got could offset Corey's meal money, let alone his salary.

Bruce may very well be coming up soon, but it will have nothing to do with Lehr's sale.

Nowhere in the quote does it say or even imply that the Reds got a cent for Lehr. They simply released him because they didn't match the offer.

Slyder
05-25-2008, 07:28 PM

Because he's a moron and his teams won inspite of him and because of the massive talent on the team, not because of him. Seems like a lot of people realized that except for Cincy's FO.

aerontg
05-25-2008, 08:15 PM
The Reds aren't smart enough to bring up bruce... if they were he'd be here by now and in the lineup today.

They're running out of excuses and honestly just look foolish to everyone else including fans, media, and those who are around the game. The Reds look like they have Egg on their face all too often.

I tend to think that we "fans" are the exception here on Redszone. Maybe I'm not giving the others enough credit. I get the feeling that if I were to ask the first 100 people I met on the street two questions:

1. are you a Reds fan? if 'yes' then
2. who is this Bruce guy in AAA?

I just BET that less than 10% could even tell me. Sorry, but making a big stink out of the Reds' stupidity isn't going to make them any smarter. Not buying any tickets because the team continues to lose or because there is anything else to get excited about (i.e., Bruce), will do wonders.

Ghosts of 1990
05-25-2008, 08:35 PM
Because he's a moron and his teams won inspite of him and because of the massive talent on the team, not because of him. Seems like a lot of people realized that except for Cincy's FO.

2003 Cubs
1993 Giants

two teams that should have won it all adn did not bc of baker.

Hondo
05-25-2008, 09:59 PM

It is because these are the guys "Dudepick" wanted. That is the only Logical explanation.... He wants to justify his recomendations of signing these 2 guys... Hariston is atleast brininging something to the table at a good value. Patterson has his 3 Million laughing all the way to the bank...

He lolly gags to the field, he lolly gags to the plate, he lolly gags to the dug out....

Do you know what that makes Corey Patterson?

ChatterRed
05-26-2008, 04:31 PM
I was in the minority of people that didn't like the Dusty hire. I guess I'm also in the minority of smart people. ;)

demas863
05-26-2008, 04:45 PM
It is because these are the guys "Dudepick" wanted. That is the only Logical explanation.... He wants to justify his recomendations of signing these 2 guys... Hariston is atleast brininging something to the table at a good value. Patterson has his 3 Million laughing all the way to the bank...

He lolly gags to the field, he lolly gags to the plate, he lolly gags to the dug out....

Do you know what that makes Corey Patterson?

A gaggy-loller?

muethibp
05-26-2008, 04:52 PM
We owe Patterson the money regardless of whether he plays another inning for this team or not. The only incremental increase in payroll in replacing Patterson with Bruce is Bruce's prorated minimum salary for the rest of the year; so, not much. It is inexcusable for Bruce not to be on this team.