PDA

View Full Version : Travis Wood and Jordan Smith promoted to Chattanooga, Daryl Thompson to Louisville

OnBaseMachine
05-25-2008, 02:14 PM
I posted this in another thread but it deserves a thread of its own. LHP Travis Wood (46.2 IP, 39 H, 2 HR, 21 BB/41 K, 2.70 ERA) and RHP Jordan Smith (67 IP, 61 H, 2 HR, 7 BB/44 K, 2.55 ERA) have been promoted to AA Chattanooga. Congrats to those two guys.

You have to think this probably means Daryl Thompson is heading to AAA Louisville.

Caveat Emperor
05-25-2008, 02:19 PM
I always just assumed that Wood was destined for a catastrophic arm injury based on the nicks and soreness through his early seasons -- another feather in Krivsky's minor league development strategy that he's been relatively healthy and now successfully moving one step closer to the bigs.

Blue
05-25-2008, 02:35 PM
I'm very surprised that Wood has moved up. His numbers warrant the move but I figured they would move him at a snail's pace.

dougdirt
05-25-2008, 02:39 PM
I'm very surprised that Wood has moved up. His numbers warrant the move but I figured they would move him at a snail's pace.

He has a little more than a half a season's worth of innings in Sarasota now between the last two seasons.

93ip, 95K, 48bb, 88h, 3.77 ERA.

Most impressive thing this year for Wood though? His groundball rate has gone up dramatically this year. The previous two years he hovered around the 40% GB rate, this year he has hovered around the 50% GB rate. Strikeout guys that get groundballs are very good.

Superdude
05-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Anyone know how Wood's velocity has been this year?

dougdirt
05-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Anyone know how Wood's velocity has been this year?

Well, SaberScouting.com went and saw him one time this year. They had him at 86-88 MPH, but the game also started at 10:30 in the morning. I have had other reports of him working 89-92 and hitting 93 every so often in other games. We will find out soon enough, as we can actually listen to the Chattanooga games and can read articles about their games.

Joseph
05-25-2008, 02:49 PM
Thats fantastic. AA is an injury away from the bigs, which means these guys are doing what they should to help the Reds next year or the year after.

OnBaseMachine
05-25-2008, 03:02 PM
Daryl Thompson has been promoted to Louisville.

MikeS21
05-25-2008, 03:04 PM
Well, SaberScouting.com went and saw him one time this year. They had him at 86-88 MPH, but the game also started at 10:30 in the morning. I have had other reports of him working 89-92 and hitting 93 every so often in other games. We will find out soon enough, as we can actually listen to the Chattanooga games and can read articles about their games.
If you can find a lefty who can consistently get it up to 91-92, and occasionally hit 93, that's huge.

Blue
05-25-2008, 03:38 PM
If you can find a lefty who can consistently get it up to 91-92, and occasionally hit 93, that's huge.

Especially if he can learn to control it. 91-93 mph fastball + perhaps the best changeup in the minor leagues = success! Not sure if he's spinning much of a breaking ball at this point. I'd almost rather him throw the changeup at distinctly different speeds.

Grande Donkey
05-25-2008, 03:43 PM
According to my friend with the lookouts there will be a number of moves throughout the system on Monday and/or Tuesday.

dougdirt
05-25-2008, 03:46 PM
According to my friend with the lookouts there will be a number of moves throughout the system on Monday and/or Tuesday.

Seems like the players already know whats up. I have heard of 5 pitches on the move over the last two days. Generally pitchers aren't actually put on rosters though until their day to pitch.

reds44
05-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Maybe Jocketty has finished with his learning process. Should be an exciting off day.

gedred69
05-25-2008, 04:15 PM
Seems we are starting to see the what so many Baseball experts have been saying about the Reds Farm System, One of the top two or three. (I really hope Thompson becomes the definative justification for the so far ho-hum "Big Trade"). I remember WK saying, "he isn't just a throw-in, he has real potential", and thinking like many at the time, yeah right ........

Aronchis
05-25-2008, 04:28 PM
Wow. Some rush jobs. Neither guy really had the raw numbers I would have liked at this point though some good promise.

I guess the Thompson/Bailey thing comes full head.

reds44
05-25-2008, 04:28 PM
With Bailey's struggles and Lehr going to Korea, Thompson is probably in line to be the next starting pitcher called up.

OnBaseMachine
05-25-2008, 04:34 PM
With Bailey's struggles and Lehr going to Korea, Thompson is probably in line to be the next starting pitcher called up.

Throw Maloney in the mix as well. He's really pitching well in May.

dougdirt
05-25-2008, 04:38 PM
Throw Maloney in the mix as well. He's really pitching well this season.

Fixed that for you. His 'struggles' earlier in the year were likely due to his BABIP that was well over .400 in April.

Luvsbaseball
05-25-2008, 04:43 PM
I just talked to Travis again and he said that Lee Tabor just called him and said right after Tabor pitched to his 1 batter the coach told him to go home and get packed because he is headed to Chattanooga. So they are leaving the ballpark now heading for Chattanooga.

dougdirt
05-25-2008, 04:46 PM
I just talked to Travis again and he said that Lee Tabor just called him and said right after Tabor pitched to his 1 batter the coach told him to go home and get packed because he is headed to Chattanooga. So they are leaving the ballpark now heading for Chattanooga.

Wow... There must be some serious shake ups coming throughout the entire system. That is at least 6 guys on the move, all pitchers.

reds44
05-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Like I said before, Walt is done with his evaluation process.

I have to think Bruce is coming up tomorrow.

OnBaseMachine
05-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Like I said before, Walt is done with his evaluation process.

I have to think Bruce is coming up tomorrow.

I sure hope so. I'll be very disappointed if he's not.

Aronchis
05-25-2008, 04:51 PM
I would hate to see Homer's evaluation yikes!!!;)

Demotion back to AA?

Spring~Fields
05-25-2008, 04:52 PM
Daryl Thompson has been promoted to Louisville.

:clap::clap: All Righttttt !!!

Grande Donkey
05-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Where did you all see that Thompson was going to Louisville?

LoganBuck
05-25-2008, 04:59 PM
I would hate to see Homer's evaluation yikes!!!;)

Demotion back to AA?

Homer has a new buddy, is my way of thinking. With the old guys on the staff at Louisville, he has been kind of by himself, age wise. Thompson is also of an upward trajectory. Someone to push Homer. I like it.

kaldaniels
05-25-2008, 05:00 PM
Fixed that for you. His 'struggles' earlier in the year were likely due to his BABIP that was well over .400 in April.

Doug...in your eyes has Maloney's value changed this year...it seemed last year you didn't think he had big league "stuff" for lack of a better term. Has he taken a big step forward this year in your opinion.

dougdirt
05-25-2008, 05:03 PM
Doug...in your eyes has Maloney's value changed this year...it seemed last year you didn't think he had big league "stuff" for lack of a better term. Has he taken a big step forward this year in your opinion.

I like him a little more now than I did last year. His change up and curveball have been impressive the three times I have seen him this year (he always ends up pitching when I have things to do.... so I have seen him less than others in AAA this season). I still think his fastball is mediocre at best, but he is a lefty so that helps. Still, I don't see much more than a #4 starter for him. There is nothing wrong with that of course.

Degenerate39
05-25-2008, 05:05 PM
I wonder how long it will take till we get to see Maloney or Thompson up in Cincinnati if Belisle continues to bomb.

kaldaniels
05-25-2008, 05:05 PM
I like him a little more now than I did last year. His change up and curveball have been impressive the three times I have seen him this year (he always ends up pitching when I have things to do.... so I have seen him less than others in AAA this season). I still think his fastball is mediocre at best, but he is a lefty so that helps. Still, I don't see much more than a #4 starter for him. There is nothing wrong with that of course.

Absolutely good to hear. I'll take Maloney as a #4 everyday of the week.

jfleur87
05-25-2008, 06:35 PM
I wonder the thought process of Homer as he see's guys like Thompson and possibly even Maloney have success and maybe even continue on to the bigs, one would have to think it would make him work harder....wishful thinking?

Kingspoint
05-25-2008, 07:56 PM
I wonder the thought process of Homer as he see's guys like Thompson and possibly even Maloney have success and maybe even continue on to the bigs, one would have to think it would make him work harder....wishful thinking?

You'd think....and for most people it does.

RedsManRick
05-26-2008, 12:45 AM
Thompson could be in the mix next spring. With Maloney, Bailey, and Thompson, it will be nice not have to go to a guy like Fogg.

Caveat Emperor
05-26-2008, 04:07 AM
Thompson could be in the mix next spring. With Maloney, Bailey, and Thompson, it will be nice not have to go to a guy like Fogg.

Thompson could be in the mix Wednesday after the debacle that was Dusty's bullpen management on Sunday.

Grande Donkey
05-26-2008, 10:30 AM
More moves, some have already been mentioned I believe. My friend said that there would still be more.

Daryl Thompson RHP from Chatt to Louisville.
Ramon Ramirez RHP from Chatt to Louisville.
Drew Anderson INF from Louisville to Chatt.
Lee Tabor from Sarasota to Chatt.
Justin Tordi from Chatt to Sarasota.

redsof72
05-26-2008, 12:34 PM
Scott Carroll to Sarasota. Josh Ravin to Dayton.

mth123
05-26-2008, 12:40 PM
Seems like all the right moves to me.

OnBaseMachine
05-26-2008, 12:50 PM
Scott Carroll to Sarasota. Josh Ravin to Dayton.

Nice.

I know there were rumors a couple weeks back that Kyle Lotzkar could see some time in Dayton soon, wonder how far down the road that could be?

redsof72
05-26-2008, 12:57 PM
Apparently he is not totally healthy in extended spring training. Nothing serious but they will not move a guy up if he isn't completely healthy.

11larkin11
05-26-2008, 01:06 PM
I was hoping Carrol to Sara and Lotzkar to Dayton, but if he isn't completely healthy, I understand. I expect him to start in Billings, maybe a few starts in Dayton beforehand if he is healthy.

11larkin11
05-26-2008, 04:49 PM
Dragons announcer says Valiquette will be promoted to "another club" after this game.

OnBaseMachine
05-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Dragons announcer says Valiquette will be promoted to "another club" after this game.

Nice. He's been pitching well in May and deserves a promotion.

SMcGavin
05-26-2008, 05:13 PM

Thompson's 2008 in AA: 8.2 K/9, 2.1 BB/9, 2.60 FIP
Maloney's 2008 in AAA: 8.1 K/9, 2.6 BB/9, 2.62 FIP

I'm excited about Thompson too but Maloney is criminally underrated around here.

LoganBuck
05-26-2008, 05:14 PM
Is Valiquette the longest tenured Dragon ever?

TheBigLebowski
05-26-2008, 05:51 PM
Very nice developments.

Nice to see former Gator Justin Tordi moving up the ranks. He may have one of the best gloves in the system.

Caveat Emperor
05-26-2008, 05:54 PM
I'm excited about Thompson too but Maloney is criminally underrated around here.

He lost a bit of luster when he got knocked around pretty badly in spring training -- makes most people take his numbers with a grain of salt. He may yet become a useful big leaguer, but spring told us that he still isn't ready yet.

camisadelgolf
05-26-2008, 06:04 PM
Very nice developments.

Nice to see former Gator Justin Tordi moving up the ranks. He may have one of the best gloves in the system.

Did I read it wrong, or didn't he just get demoted?

I don't mean to bash on him, but I think his biggest asset is that he plays pretty much every position on the diamond. I wouldn't say he really 'moves up the ranks' so much as he is organization filler who is just happy to be playing professional baseball.

fearofpopvol1
05-26-2008, 06:09 PM
Thompson's 2008 in AA: 8.2 K/9, 2.1 BB/9, 2.60 FIP
Maloney's 2008 in AAA: 8.1 K/9, 2.6 BB/9, 2.62 FIP

Wow, that's an interesting set of stats. Didn't realize those numbers were so similar. Plus with Maloney being a lefty, I'd have to think he's going to get the call next.

TheBigLebowski
05-26-2008, 06:10 PM
Did I read it wrong, or didn't he just get demoted?

I don't mean to bash on him, but I think his biggest asset is that he plays pretty much every position on the diamond. I wouldn't say he really 'moves up the ranks' so much as he is organization filler who is just happy to be playing professional baseball.

Maybe I read it wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

I'd honestly be very surprised if he ever made the show. He was a whiz with the glove here at UF but he was ridiculously overmatched at the plate. His last year here he hit something like .264 with one home run, and that was with aluminum bats. Defense is definitely his forte.

camisadelgolf
05-26-2008, 06:28 PM
Maybe I read it wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

Yeah, he went from AA to A+. He doesn't even belong in Sarasota because his bat isn't even good enough for rookie ball, but his versatility gives the organization options for trying players at new positions and such.

mth123
05-26-2008, 07:07 PM

Sarasota had Josh Beal and Steve Otterness jumping from extended spring to pitching last night (they are handy right there in Florida). I can see one of them sent to Dayton with Valiquette getting the real promotion. It wouldn't surprise me to see both Beal and Otterness in Dayton and some one else accompany Valiquette to Sarasota.

OnBaseMachine
05-27-2008, 02:30 AM
Chattanooga will be competing with a new look in upcoming weeks as the result of eight transactions made Monday by the parent Cincinnati Reds.

The most notable departure was starting pitcher Daryl Thompson, who moved on to Triple-A Louisville after going 3-2 with a 1.76 earned run average in 10 Double-A starts. His ERA ranked second only to Carolina’s Ryan Tucker (0.93) among league pitchers.

“Thompson has been lights-out the entire time he’s been here,” Goff said. “For him to get a promotion wasn’t a surprise.”

Also leaving the Lookouts were starter Ramon Ramirez, who went six innings with Louisville on Monday and picked up the win, infielder Justin Tordi and relief pitcher Justin James. Tordi was sent back to high Single-A Sarasota, while James was placed on the disabled list for the second time this season.

Joining the Chattanooga team were starting pitchers Jordan Smith and Travis Wood, each of whom arrived from Sarasota. Also arriving were infielder Drew Anderson, who had a brief stint in Louisville, and reliever Lee Tabor, who is back from Sarasota for a second stint.

Smith started Monday for the Lookouts after posting a 7-2 record and 2.55 ERA through 10 starts in the Florida State League. His seven victories led the league.

“He was off to a heck of a start in Sarasota and has earned the promotion,” Goff said. “He’s a bulldog and comes right after guys with a good arm and pitches with a little attitude, which we love to see.”

Wood, a second-round pick of the Reds in 2005, went 3-4 with a 2.70 ERA in Sarasota and has the organization’s best changeup according to Baseball America.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2008/may/27/chattanooga-late-start-lookouts-lose-biscuits-4-2/?sports

Sea Ray
05-31-2008, 11:39 AM
Today's Enquirer had this:

Reliever Steven Otterness made his Dragons debut with a shutout inning Thursday. A 27th-round pick in 2007, the 23 year old left hander had pitched 7 2/3 shutout innings for Sarasota.

If he pitched shutout ball for Sarasota why was he demoted to Dayton?

Grande Donkey
05-31-2008, 12:07 PM
Today's Enquirer had this:

If he pitched shutout ball for Sarasota why was he demoted to Dayton?
I think he was in extended spring training in sarasota and just played in a couple games there .

schmidty622
05-31-2008, 02:15 PM
Anybody have a scouting report or some more information on Jordan Smith? Everything i have read about him has been very positive. Only like his 3rd year as a pitcher and already showing great progress.

AmarilloRed
05-31-2008, 02:30 PM
Anybody have a scouting report or some more information on Jordan Smith? Everything i have read about him has been very positive. Only like his 3rd year as a pitcher and already showing great progress.

Here is a scouting report based on the Baseball America draft tracker in 2006. Might be old information though:

Scouts saw enough of Smith to run him into the first 10 rounds. Smith went to Salt Lake Community College as a catcher/first baseman but realized arm strength was his best tool and transferred to Southern Nevada so he could pitch. While he was used in a limited role, his fastball sat in the 92-94 mph range and touched 96. More significantly to scouts, he wasn't under control to any club. His 6-foot-4, 220-pound frame is another plus. His inexperience and developing secondary stuff are drawbacks, though his slider and split-finger fastball both improved as the season progressed, as Smith learned to throw both with some power.

schmidty622
05-31-2008, 02:34 PM
Man I'm really loving this young pitching depth we have. I hope we can sustain this success in finding talent for our minor leauges and that we don't blow it on trades unless it will make a significant impact on the big club.

RedlegJake
06-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Man I'm really loving this young pitching depth we have. I hope we can sustain this success in finding talent for our minor leauges and that we don't blow it on trades unless it will make a significant impact on the big club.

The Reds have a pitching full of legitimate prospects. Some will bust, of course, and some have higher ceilings than others, but all can be considered true prospects right now:

Matt Maloney LHSP
Homer Bailey RHSP
DarylThompson RHSP
Ben Jukich LHSP
Jordan Smith RHSP

Josh Roenicke RHRP
Tyler Pelland LHRP
Danny Herrerra LHRP
Sean Watson RHRP
Ramon Ramirez RHRP
Ramon Geronimo RHRP
Pedro Viola LHRP

That still leaves younger guys like Ravin and Lotzkar, this year's draft picks, and others like Justin Mallet and Scott Carroll that I didn't list but are also prospects who can move the "busts" off the list as time goes on. Added to Volquez, Cueto, Burton, and Bray the list of young pitching talent in the system is really deep.

*BaseClogger*
06-01-2008, 01:18 PM
Fisher?

membengal
06-01-2008, 01:34 PM
I actually still think Lecure will be a factor down the road too...

RedlegJake
06-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Fisher?

I actually still think Lecure will be a factor down the road too...

Yep. Oversights. But that's what I mean...the depth is startling. And unlike some systems that boast depth where alot of the 'depth' is low ceiling guys, most of these guys have high to mid level ceilings and are very projectable. A couple don't project that well, like Maloney, but they've earned consideration by performance. All in all its a very deep bunch of pitching that should help immensely over the next couple seasons, either by actually making the Reds or providing valuable trade fodder.