PDA

View Full Version : Former MLB pitcher Gonzalez killed by lightning strike

OnBaseMachine
05-26-2008, 01:29 PM
Wow. Sad news.:(

Former MLB pitcher Gonzalez killed by lightning strike

Associated Press

Updated: May 26, 2008, 12:30 PM ET

CARACAS, Venezuela -- Former major league pitcher Geremi Gonzalez, who won 11 games for the Chicago Cubs in 1997, was killed by a lightning strike in his native Venezuela on Sunday. He was 33.

Geremi Gonzalez pitched for five major league teams and compiled a 30-35 career record.

Emergency management official Herman Bracho said Monday that Gonzalez was struck by lightning at a beach.

Gonzalez pitched for five major league teams from 1997-2006. The right-hander appeared in 131 games with 83 starts, compiling a 30-35 record.

Gonzalez also played for the Tampa Bay Rays, Boston Red Sox, New York Mets and Milwaukee Brewers. He made a combined 24 appearances for the Mets and Brewers in his final major league season in 2006.

The Toronto Blue Jays released him during spring training last year. Gonzalez then moved to Japan and pitched in five games for the Yomiuri Giants.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3412801

oneupper
05-26-2008, 05:42 PM
According to Venezuelan sources:

"The lightning strike hit him in the neck and broke the gold chain he had on"

He was reportedly jet-skiing at the time.

savafan
05-26-2008, 06:06 PM
Crazy. I've been hit in the foot, and my dad was hit in the chest. I'd say we're both lucky.

oneupper
05-26-2008, 06:14 PM
Crazy. I've been hit in the foot, and my dad was hit in the chest. I'd say we're both lucky.

Considering the odds of getting hit...that could be interpreted as both lucky AND unlucky.

savafan
05-26-2008, 06:25 PM
Considering the odds of getting hit...that could be interpreted as both lucky AND unlucky.

My dad has been hit by lightning six times. The one I remember most vividly was when I was younger playing on the living room floor and my dad was sitting on the couch watching TV. Lightning hit the cable line outside and traveled through the television, blowing up the screen and hitting my dad square in the chest. It was scary at the time, but I kinda laugh about it now.

Myself, I've only been struck twice. I'm not trying for my dad's record.

RedlegJake
05-27-2008, 01:07 AM
I read somewhere that there are people who have a unusual propensity to being hit by lightning. Please don;t golf in thunderstorm season my friend. Or at least not with me. :D

Ron Madden
05-27-2008, 01:16 AM
My dad has been hit by lightning six times. The one I remember most vividly was when I was younger playing on the living room floor and my dad was sitting on the couch watching TV. Lightning hit the cable line outside and traveled through the television, blowing up the screen and hitting my dad square in the chest. It was scary at the time, but I kinda laugh about it now.

Myself, I've only been struck twice. I'm not trying for my dad's record.

So, That's what's wrong wit'ya.

just kiddin' Sava. ;)

Tony Cloninger
05-27-2008, 09:40 AM
So your dad's secret identity is Electro? :D