PDA

View Full Version : It's Official...Bruce is up.

Kingspoint
05-26-2008, 05:24 PM
Bruce gets the call
Posted by JohnFay at 5/26/2008 5:03 PM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Jay Bruce will be promoted to the Reds tomorrow. The corresponding roster to move will be announced then. That's all I've got for now.

05-26-2008, 05:37 PM
That sucks. What will RedsZone complain about now?

steig
05-26-2008, 05:40 PM
now I have a valid excuse for watching this team on TV every night.

NeilHamburger
05-26-2008, 05:46 PM
So barring an immediate trade we now have an outfield of griffey, bruce and dunn.

I'm guessing a lineup of:
Hairston SS
Bruce CF
Griffey RF
Phillips 2nd
Dunn LF
EE 3rd
Votto 1st
Bako/Ross catcher

Thats my guess for baker's lineup

Scott Botkins
05-26-2008, 05:59 PM
Just remember to go easy on the kid, he's young and will go into slumps but he will help our team overall. The Reds should have done this a long time ago but didn't because we didn't have a legit leadoff hitter. Whoever is our SS should be leading off.

Blue
05-26-2008, 06:06 PM
So barring an immediate trade we now have an outfield of griffey, bruce and dunn.

I'm guessing a lineup of:
Hairston SS
Bruce CF
Griffey RF
Phillips 2nd
Dunn LF
EE 3rd
Votto 1st
Bako/Ross catcher

Thats my guess for baker's lineup

Dusty is probably throwing a fit in Walt's office right now. "You tell me how I'm supposed to make out a lineup card when the centerfielder isn't a leadoff hitter?! Huh?! Huh?!?! The next thing you'll do is take away my shortstop who can hit second! I'm going to have to go to my office and stare into space for hours thinking about how I'm going to handle this. I'll have to go tell the umpire that he'll have to start the game with our team already having two outs and Griffey at the plate."

Then Walt, under his breath, "you've been doing that all season..."

"Huh?!?!"

"Nothing."

Scott Botkins
05-26-2008, 06:08 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20080526&content_id=2776406&vkey=pr_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin he will speak tomorrow with Jocketty at 4pm at GABP

Slyder
05-26-2008, 06:15 PM
Maybe Baker gets a clue?
Hairston SS
Dunn LF
Phillips 2b
Votto 1b
Griffey RF
EdE 3b
Bruce CF
Catcher

Blue
05-26-2008, 06:17 PM
Maybe Baker gets a clue?
Hairston SS
Dunn LF
Phillips 2b
Votto 1b
Griffey RF
Bruce CF
Catcher

:laugh: Good one.:laugh:

gilpdawg
05-26-2008, 06:20 PM
Maybe Baker gets a clue?
Hairston SS
Dunn LF
Phillips 2b
Votto 1b
Griffey RF
Bruce CF
Catcher
We playin without a third baseman? :D

ChatterRed
05-26-2008, 06:21 PM
I just hope Patterson gets released.

captainmorgan07
05-26-2008, 06:28 PM
Finally what we've all been clamoring for has finally come true. We need to be patient with the kid. We don't want another repeat of Brandon Larson on hands. Kids gonna go through some rough patches don't expect mvp numbers out of the shoot. Im sure he'll make his fair share of starts in CF. His range is not as good as patterson so our defensive outfield may become worse till he gets adjusted.

bubbachunk
05-26-2008, 06:28 PM
http://forums.desolatecarnage.net/html/emoticons/dance.gif http://forums.desolatecarnage.net/html/emoticons/dance.gif http://forums.desolatecarnage.net/html/emoticons/dance.gif

Speechless but that is my reaction ^^

DannyB
05-26-2008, 06:29 PM
That sucks. What will RedsZone complain about now?

Corry Patterson leading off of course.;)

schmidty622
05-26-2008, 06:36 PM
Thank goodness.

Orodle
05-26-2008, 06:48 PM
My lineup i bet Dusty tries to run out there:

-1. Corey Patterson
1. SS-Hairston
2. CF-Bruce
3. RF-Griffey
4. 2B-Phillips
5. LF-Dunn
6. 3B-Encarnaction
7. 1B-Votto
8. C-Bako

Grounds_Crew
05-26-2008, 06:51 PM
I'll be at his first game! I'm gonna get to work early tomorrow to watch him bat..and probably meet him! :D

Chi-Town Red
05-26-2008, 07:09 PM
Very excited!!!

Chi-Town Red
05-26-2008, 07:10 PM
I'll be at his first game! I'm gonna get to work early tomorrow to watch him bat..and probably meet him! :D you lucky dog you...tell him everyone here wishes him luck!:thumbup:

ChatterRed
05-26-2008, 07:11 PM
Dusty's lineup:

CF Corey Patterson
SS Janish
RF Griffey
2B Phillips
LF Dunn
1B Votto
3B EE
C Bruce ;)

gedred69
05-26-2008, 07:18 PM
Every now and then, a blind hog finds an acorn. Last year my partial season ticket happened to include Homer's debut, and I can't believe it, Jay Bruce's debut is in it this year! (I'm gonna' go buy a Lottery ticket) :D:D

The "new" Big Red Machine begins construction tomorrow night.

mroby85
05-26-2008, 07:37 PM
Every now and then, a blind hog finds an acorn. Last year my partial season ticket happened to include Homer's debut, and I can't believe it, Jay Bruce's debut is in it this year! (I'm gonna' go buy a Lottery ticket) :D:D

The "new" Big Red Machine begins construction tomorrow night.

thats pretty cool, i was excited cause i have the bakers dozen pack, and volquez got bumped to friday, and hopefully we'll get to see bruce now too!!
this could be the spark we've been missing!

HeatherC1212
05-26-2008, 07:39 PM
This is fabulous news! Yes, it may be long overdue but it's still great and I'm sure he's really excited to finally be heading north to the big club. I'm going to the game on Saturday and I'm excited that I finally get to see Bruce play! :jump:

tommycash
05-26-2008, 07:45 PM
I think this is the move we have all been waiting for.

Now, who gets released/moved down/traded?

GoReds33
05-26-2008, 07:51 PM
Should it really have taken an 0-8 day by Patterson for this to happen?:confused:

None the less, this is the most excited I have ever been as a Reds fan.

mroby85
05-26-2008, 07:57 PM
most excited ever? wow.

Jones1
05-26-2008, 08:00 PM
Scott Hatteberg is gone. Hope we get something for him..

mroby85
05-26-2008, 08:02 PM
where did that come from about hatteberg?

Slyder
05-26-2008, 08:06 PM
We playin without a third baseman? :D

My fault I fixed it. Thought I had put EdE in there and my overwrite was on.

gedred69
05-26-2008, 08:56 PM
where did that come from about hatteberg?

Agree on that. I really believe it will be Patterson. I saw it somewhere on this site where somebody did a mock conversation between WJ and BC regarding eating Patterson's contract. Selling a career AAAA pitcher (Lehr) may help off-set the $$ still owed Patterson. If so, Dusty won't like it, but hey, it's all about winning and Patterson isn't in that equation other than decent defense. The knock on Bruce in CF was the same crap we heard from so many posts last year about Hamilton. Oh, where is he playing now for the Rangers?

IrishDavidKY
05-26-2008, 09:03 PM
The news we've all been waiting on. However, I wouldn't be surprised if you see Fogg go instead of Patterson. IMO they both can go, but I think it will be Fogg.

Chris Sabowned
05-26-2008, 09:07 PM
He better be in the lineup everyday, or else I will be very upset.

GoReds33
05-26-2008, 09:21 PM
most excited ever? wow.I'll go ahead and elaborate on that a little if you don't mind. Jay Bruce is the greatest prospect in the last 30 years for this organization. He brings all five tools, and all of them are above average. Some of the implications I've heard are that Patterson will be gone, so that is reason enough to party right there. I love how the team has turned the page into a great future. With Volquez, Cueto, Bruce, Cordero, Keppinger, Harang, and hopefully Bailey and Dunn, this team will be on track to win the division next year, and hopefully go further in 2010.

Ghosts of 1990
05-26-2008, 09:33 PM
Best move of the year. Best day of the year.

_Sir_Charles_
05-26-2008, 09:35 PM
Well, I refuse to say "kudos Cincy" simply because they've botched this IMO. He should've been with the club out of spring training. The fact that it took THIS long is a testament to how clueless the FO really is.

I also won't be so blind as to think that Jay fixes our problems and rights the ship. He doesn't. He certainly helps and it's obviously long overdue. But until we DFA Patterson, lose at least ONE of the catchers, find a place for Hatteberg, figure out what we're going to do with Griffey, sign Dunn to a LTC, dump the other aging veterans such as Merker & Weathers, and mandate some sort of accountability on Dusty's performance...we won't be going anywhere. Don't get me wrong, this team has potential written all over it. But the FO and Dusty are stunting the team's growth for next season by playing with all these reclaimation projects (namely the Patterson/Hairston/Bako ex-cub fun-bunch). It's time to see what the young players can do. THIS is the year to learn on the job. NEXT year is the year we begin to contend.

Lastly, congratulations Jay...I'm sure you were as tired of waiting as we fans were. Best of luck! Hit 'em where they ain't.

ELCABALLO45
05-26-2008, 10:29 PM
1st time post. Im a BIG BREWER FAN. But this is awesome. Congrats, I remember when we called up Braun about this time last year. And Bruce is only 21. He looks like the real deal. I hope he does great.

BoCcc2832
05-26-2008, 10:33 PM
Alright, where do I get a #32 jersey and how soon can I get it? I also want his rookie card.

schmidty622
05-26-2008, 10:34 PM
Well this is encouraging:

Reds.com

"Bruce, the Reds' first-round Draft pick in 2005, will become the regular center fielder. It's been an unsettled spot with leadoff batter Corey Patterson batting just .201 with a .242 on-base percentage. Ryan Freel has played well when in center field but will remain in a utility role."

NICE!!

ELCABALLO45
05-26-2008, 10:36 PM
Could Bruce lead off? Seriously?

05-26-2008, 10:55 PM
So I heard this Bruce guy is good. I would like to learn more about the kid. Any threads on RedsZone talking about him?

stevekun
05-26-2008, 11:08 PM
Awesome...great news!

redhawk61
05-26-2008, 11:27 PM
Could Bruce lead off? Seriously?

He is a five tool guy so for the moment he could. Down the road when we get a true leadoff hitter he is a projected #3

He needs to improve his BB% but IMO the reason it is so low is he just overmatches AAA and all other pitching, so he was up there swinging the bat. He does have a solid pitches per AB I think it somewhere around 3.5 but don't hold that against me

ELCABALLO45
05-26-2008, 11:29 PM
He is a five tool guy so for the moment he could. Down the road when we get a true leadoff hitter he is a projected #3

I know he is a number 3 hitter but I was just wonder I guess. I don't think it would be a horrible idea right now but once he starts hitting(So probably on Friday) they could move him down

redhawk61
05-26-2008, 11:32 PM
I know he is a number 3 hitter but I was just wonder I guess. I don't think it would be a horrible idea right now but once he starts hitting(So probably on Friday) they could move him down

yeah. Heck we made due with Hamilton as the leadoff hitter last year

TheBigLebowski
05-26-2008, 11:56 PM
Oh man...what great news.

Handofdeath
05-27-2008, 12:21 AM
The lineup I can see happening and would try is:

1.) Hairston SS
2.) Bruce CF
3.) Phillips 2B
4.) Dunn LF
5.) Votto 1B
6.) Griffey RF
7.) Encarnacion 3B
8.) Bako C

bluesanta
05-27-2008, 12:37 AM
The lineup I can see happening and would try is:

1.) Hairston SS
2.) Bruce CF
3.) Phillips 2B
4.) Dunn LF
5.) Votto 1B
6.) Griffey RF
7.) Encarnacion 3B
8.) Bako C

Although I agree with you that Griffey should be batting that low in the lineup, there's no way Dusty will put him back there. Or, they might just trade Griffey so Patterson can get a regular spot, and Dusty can be happy;)

redhawk61
05-27-2008, 12:53 AM
Although I agree with you that Griffey should be batting that low in the lineup, there's no way Dusty will put him back there. Or, they might just trade Griffey so Patterson can get a regular spot, and Dusty can be happy;)

Agreed I think we are looking at something sadly enough more along the lines of

Hairston
Votto
Griff
BP
Dunn
EE
Bruce
Catcher

RiSK
05-27-2008, 01:23 AM
I think it's fairly obvious that Hatteberg is going to be the one to go. We have no spot for him on the club. He's another left handed bat, but so is Dusty's beloved Patterson. While Patterson is obviously struggling offensively, Hatteberg is doing a good bit worse, especially as a pinch hitter. We're spending far less for Hatty, and he's said he would much rather play every day. He wants to leave. I'm certain we'll oblige.

05-27-2008, 02:33 AM
I think it's fairly obvious that Hatteberg is going to be the one to go. We have no spot for him on the club. He's another left handed bat, but so is Dusty's beloved Patterson. While Patterson is obviously struggling offensively, Hatteberg is doing a good bit worse, especially as a pinch hitter. We're spending far less for Hatty, and he's said he would much rather play every day. He wants to leave. I'm certain we'll oblige.

And with Dunn, Griffey and a rookie as the outfield, the Reds will need a defensive CF off the bench a lot this year. Valentin has shown that he can fill in for Votto first, so Hatte is just redundant at this point. He did a great job the two years he started, but there really is no place for him now that Votto is here. The only question is whether or not they got something for him, or at least got a team to pick up his salary.

robmadden1
05-27-2008, 03:09 AM
I'll be at the game I am saving my ticket if he gets into the game. I want to have the ticket stub to show i was at the first game bruce make his major league debut.

Kingspoint
05-27-2008, 03:11 AM

The only problem with letting Hatteberg go is that Krivsky would have been able to get something for him in a trade,....certainly as much as he got last year for that 40-year old he sent to the Mets by the name of Conine. Jockety isn't as good at dealing as Krivsky, so I wouldn't expect it.

Remember that Jockety's strength is spending an owner's money on high-priced Free-Agents, not at making deals with journeyman players or finding diamonds-in-the-rough.

You can't get anything for Patterson, and economically as far as baseball-player value, he's the one that should be let go.

Kingspoint
05-27-2008, 03:17 AM
And with Dunn, Griffey and a rookie as the outfield, the Reds will need a defensive CF off the bench a lot this year. Valentin has shown that he can fill in for Votto first, so Hatte is just redundant at this point. He did a great job the two years he started, but there really is no place for him now that Votto is here. The only question is whether or not they got something for him, or at least got a team to pick up his salary.

There's still no need to keep Patterson even as a bench player. He hasn't walked in over 60 at-bats in May and has hit below .130 since April 10th. Put a fork in him. He's done.

Jerry Hairston, Jr, Ryan Freel, Norris Hopper, Adam Dunn and Bruce can play the Outfield if they trade Junior, which they need to do within a month.

There is no need for Corey Patterson on this team.

Jones1
05-27-2008, 06:32 AM
I disagree, CP will be great for a late game defensive outfielder at any spot and can pinch run If we need him in that capacity as well, he also bunts fairly decent. As bad as his offense is he is by far our best outfielder. He has a place on this team with his 3mil contract that the reds arent going to eat and he is not tradeable. Hatte will be picked up by someone or traded, his value is much higher and hes making half as much as CP. He's disgruntled right now and not helping this club in any way shape or form. MARK MY WORDS, HE'S GONE! The only other option is releasing fogg and I don't think that will happen..

Fon Duc Tow
05-27-2008, 09:10 AM
Just echoing the sentiments of everyone else here.

I've been waiting for this all season and glad to see they finally brought him up.

Looking forward to the game tonight.

Scott Botkins
05-27-2008, 10:26 AM
I'm going to the game tonight, I'll be out in right field. I just hope the rain stays away.

bounty37h
05-27-2008, 11:18 AM
I'll be at his first game! I'm gonna get to work early tomorrow to watch him bat..and probably meet him! :D

show off!!:D:p::cool::jump:

Handofdeath
05-27-2008, 11:32 AM

I'm hoping that the Reds will do the smart thing here. Honestly, that might mean getting rid of Hatteberg. I think you can justify keeping Patterson as a backup OF but no more than that. I think the lineup I'm suggesting can do some damage.

1. I would like for Hairston to have a little bit better OBP but he's got the speed you need for this spot and no other starter is suited for this spot.
2. Bruce at #2 is a good choice because it puts him in a spot with less pressure to start with and with Phillips behind him he'll see some good pitches.
3. Phillips is the Reds best offensive player, for now, and deserves to be here.
4. Dunn's power demands he plays here.
5. Votto is perfect in this spot because Dunn will get pitched around and Griffey still has enough respect from pitchers that Votto will see good pitches.
6. Griffey doesn't have the skills any longer to justify hitting at any other spot. Team above ego here.
7. Encarnacion simply is not a dependable enough hitter to put elsewhere. Perhaps a spot lower in the order might take away a little of the pressure that seems to bother him so much.
8. Where else can you put Bako?

mroby85
05-27-2008, 01:44 PM
I'm hoping that the Reds will do the smart thing here. Honestly, that might mean getting rid of Hatteberg. I think you can justify keeping Patterson as a backup OF but no more than that. I think the lineup I'm suggesting can do some damage.

1. I would like for Hairston to have a little bit better OBP but he's got the speed you need for this spot and no other starter is suited for this spot.
2. Bruce at #2 is a good choice because it puts him in a spot with less pressure to start with and with Phillips behind him he'll see some good pitches.
3. Phillips is the Reds best offensive player, for now, and deserves to be here.
4. Dunn's power demands he plays here.
5. Votto is perfect in this spot because Dunn will get pitched around and Griffey still has enough respect from pitchers that Votto will see good pitches.
6. Griffey doesn't have the skills any longer to justify hitting at any other spot. Team above ego here.
7. Encarnacion simply is not a dependable enough hitter to put elsewhere. Perhaps a spot lower in the order might take away a little of the pressure that seems to bother him so much.
8. Where else can you put Bako?

I like that lineup a lot, i just don't see them bumping griffey down that far, even though it's probably the best thing.

05-27-2008, 02:37 PM
I am not smart enough to be able to put together a good lineup, but here is what I think Dusty will do for today.

Hairston
Bruce
Phillips
Griffey
Dunn
EE
Votto
Bako

I am just not happy with Hairston at SS. I would rather start Janish and bat him 8th, but that leaves the team without a leadoff hitter.

yab1112
05-27-2008, 03:11 PM
the Bruce is loose!! :D:D:thumbup::beerme::thumbup::D

there isn't a smiley in the world that can express my joy

smoke6
05-27-2008, 03:13 PM
OK, so what do ya'll think he'll do in his 1st MLB AB? I say single to right...

DannyB
05-27-2008, 05:13 PM
OK, so what do ya'll think he'll do in his 1st MLB AB? I say single to right...

Grand Slam
Hes that good........;)

texasdave
05-27-2008, 07:32 PM
He had to walk. 'Cuz that's what they said he couldn't do. LOL.
BTW. Jay Bruce has more walks in the month of May than the Corey Patterson. Unbelievable. Patterson had not walked all month. Nice leadoff man.

reds2221
05-28-2008, 06:47 PM
by looking at our lineup now, I am thrilled. Patterson has been our biggest weakness all year and with him gone and bruce in his place, we might pull back to .500 ball.