PDA

View Full Version : Mesoraco heating up at Dayton

Blitz Dorsey
05-26-2008, 11:54 PM
I figured he would go to Billings as soon as their season began. However, Mesoraco is showing serious signs of life at Dayton. Maybe he will end up staying with the Dragons if he keeps it up. He's batting .260 with 2 HRs in over 50 ABs:

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Devin%20Mesoraco&pos=C&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=519023

redhawk61
05-26-2008, 11:58 PM
During his 8 game hit streak he is hitting .367
Who knows how fast WJ wants to move guys but if he keeps this up he could get himself a promotion to high A with consideration, if he does well enough at Sarasota starting next year at AA, which would be amazing. He would have to continue at a pace like he is now but it is possible

*BaseClogger*
05-27-2008, 12:02 AM
During his 8 game hit streak he is hitting .379
Who knows how fast WJ wants to move guys but if he keeps this up he could get himself a promotion to high A with consideration, if he does well enough at Sarasota starting next year at AA, which would be amazing. He would have to continue at a pace like he is now but it is possible

There are many factors other than offense. Namely, defense...

redhawk61
05-27-2008, 12:09 AM
his defense is said to be very very sound

dougdirt
05-27-2008, 12:10 AM
his defense is said to be very very sound

He certainly has his issues to work out defensively. He has the tools and athleticism to work those issues out, no question.... but he does have quite a bit to work on defensively still.

AmarilloRed
05-27-2008, 12:12 AM
There are many factors other than offense. Namely, defense...

He has thrown out only 1 of 16 baserunners on the season. He will need to improve in that respect.

RedlegJake
05-27-2008, 12:15 AM
His defense has been pretty rough, as Doug noted. That kind of surprised me since he was supposed to be good defensively but that may just have been scouts parlance for he has the tools to be very good, not so much that a HS kid was actually there already.

redhawk61
05-27-2008, 12:16 AM
Hey doug what kind of numbers has he been putting up as far as like LD% and BABIP I don't know where to look for those numbers that you get.

redhawk61
05-27-2008, 12:17 AM
His defense has been pretty rough, as Doug noted. That kind of surprised me since he was supposed to be good defensively but that may just have been scouts parlance for he has the tools to be very good, not so much that a HS kid was actually there already.

They should get JB to work with him some like Soto has helped out Cueto and E-Vol

AmarilloRed
05-27-2008, 12:31 AM
Hey doug what kind of numbers has he been putting up as far as like LD% and BABIP I don't know where to look for those numbers that you get.

You can find BABIP at FanGraphs.com. Mesoraco's BABIP was.264 last year, and .345 so far this year. I am not sure where you find LD%: Doug will have to get you that one.

All right, you can also find LD% at hardballtimes.com(not sure if that is correct), but I think it only tracks LD% for major league players.

fearofpopvol1
05-27-2008, 01:08 AM
I figured he would go to Billings as soon as their season began. However, Mesoraco is showing serious signs of life at Dayton. Maybe he will end up staying with the Dragons if he keeps it up. He's batting .260 with 2 HRs in over 50 ABs:

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Devin%20Mesoraco&pos=C&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=519023

I'm not sure that constitutes heating up, but it's an improvement, no less.

RedlegJake
05-27-2008, 01:12 AM
I'm not sure that constitutes heating up, but it's an improvement, no less.

Well, since he was hiting about .100 after his first few games that is heating up - a current 8 game hit streak acounts for most of that production

dougdirt
05-27-2008, 01:28 AM
Mesoraco has a 13% LD rate according to Firstinning.com. As for him heating up, he absolutely is. He has played 15 games. The first 7 were pretty bad, with 0 XBH. The last 8 have resulted in big time production.

fearofpopvol1
05-27-2008, 01:34 AM
I think "heating up" is a bit extreme. But, we can agree to disagree.

dougdirt
05-27-2008, 01:50 AM

So hitting .367/.441/.700 over his last 8 games after hitting .136/.208/.136 in his first 7 games isn't heating up?

Blue
05-27-2008, 02:15 AM
I sure hope this kid becomes a star. He has a very chantable name.

MES-OR-A-CO clap clap clap-clap-clap

and there isn't much question that he's heating up.

What constitutes a good LD%?

fearofpopvol1
05-27-2008, 02:57 AM
So hitting .367/.441/.700 over his last 8 games after hitting .136/.208/.136 in his first 7 games isn't heating up?

Too small of a sample size for me. It's an improvement to be sure, but let's see how well it's sustained over a bit longer period of time.

dougdirt
05-27-2008, 03:16 AM
Too small of a sample size for me. It's an improvement to be sure, but let's see how well it's sustained over a bit longer period of time.

Well its 30% of his season.... ;)

dougdirt
05-27-2008, 03:16 AM

For his age/level, 13% is about average.

Lockdwn11
05-27-2008, 06:56 AM

That maybe so but at least he is showing signs of life in A ball at what the age of 19?

sjesu
05-27-2008, 04:50 PM

Jay Bruce, at age 19 in Dayton: 16%

For what it's worth.

redsof72
05-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Mesoraco's biggest weakness right now is his ability to receive pitches. He has a strong arm even though he has thrown out only one runner. He needs a little improvement on his footwork in coming out of his crouch to throw, but he is a year out of high school. As far as receiving pitches, his first game was the worst I have ever seen at the pro level, but he has not had another game like that one. He still is way, way below average in this area, but he has very little experience catching pitchers throwing 92 with 82 mph sliders. Bottom line: He has improved in every area since his first game with the Dragons and that is the sign of a guy that has a chance. Players who have the ability to improve as the competition improves are the ones who make it. I was skeptical of this kid at first and he has a long way to go but I like what I have seen.

11larkin11
05-27-2008, 05:52 PM
Count me in the group that doesn't understand how an 1.141 OPS isn't heating up.

lollipopcurve
05-27-2008, 07:57 PM
I was skeptical of this kid at first and he has a long way to go but I like what I have seen.

You seem to have something of an inside perspective. True?

NJReds
05-28-2008, 10:14 AM
Mesoraco's biggest weakness right now is his ability to receive pitches. He has a strong arm even though he has thrown out only one runner. He needs a little improvement on his footwork in coming out of his crouch to throw, but he is a year out of high school. As far as receiving pitches, his first game was the worst I have ever seen at the pro level, but he has not had another game like that one. He still is way, way below average in this area, but he has very little experience catching pitchers throwing 92 with 82 mph sliders. Bottom line: He has improved in every area since his first game with the Dragons and that is the sign of a guy that has a chance. Players who have the ability to improve as the competition improves are the ones who make it. I was skeptical of this kid at first and he has a long way to go but I like what I have seen.

I wonder if the Reds could have Johnny Bench spend some time working with him.

Oxilon
05-28-2008, 12:46 PM
I wonder if the Reds could have Johnny Bench spend some time working with him.

Couldn't hurt, just as long as they don't ask his opinion on Mesoraco's curveball.

Aronchis
05-28-2008, 01:29 PM
Couldn't hurt, just as long as they don't ask his opinion on Mesoraco's curveball.

LOL, good one.

Blitz Dorsey
06-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Still heating up... average up to .286.

Keep on keepin' on, Devin!

SMcGavin
06-03-2008, 10:55 AM
After 68 ABs his line is now .279/.347/.471. An OPS of .818. And he doesn't turn 20 years old for another couple of weeks. If he keeps this up you have to think he stays in Dayton all year, and if his OPS is around .800 at the end of the season he's going to be easily in the top five of Reds prospect lists.

crazyredfan40
06-03-2008, 11:46 AM
After 68 ABs his line is now .279/.347/.471. An OPS of .818. And he doesn't turn 20 years old for another couple of weeks. If he keeps this up you have to think he stays in Dayton all year, and if his OPS is around .800 at the end of the season he's going to be easily in the top five of Reds prospect lists.

I agree he has done nothing to lead me to believe that they won't leave him in Dayton the rest of the year...

Anyone know how his catching has been lately...I know early he was struggling behind the dish...

Reds Fanatic
06-03-2008, 11:58 AM
I agree he has done nothing to lead me to believe that they won't leave him in Dayton the rest of the year...

Anyone know how his catching has been lately...I know early he was struggling behind the dish...

I was at the game last night and the other team was constantly running on him but I really don't put it as much on Mesoraco as I do on the pitchers not holding runners on or their slow delivery to the plate. Like the poster a few above said his footwork getting out of the crouch to throw probably needs to improve some but he does have a strong arm. He threw one runner out last night and the rest of his throws were pretty much on the mark just a little late which is not too bad considering the runners were getting huge jumps off the Dayton pitchers. That is the first time I have seen Mesoraco catch and I did not really see any big problem defensively and I do like his arm strength.

Offensively he hit a home run to left last night. So he continues to do pretty well at the plate.

dougdirt
06-03-2008, 12:27 PM

If he puts up an .800 OPS in Dayton all year he will be making a legit argument to be the Reds #1/2 prospect.

The_jbh
06-03-2008, 02:09 PM
No way you move him to AA this year... High A at the most. Catchers don't move up the system like other positions. He certainly could work his way into our top 1-4 prospects but he's still a good couple years away if we want to him to CATCH in the MLB

membengal
06-03-2008, 02:10 PM
If he stays in Dayton all year and has success (OPS around .775 or so), it will have been a VERY positive year for Mesoraco. And the organization.

Cyclone792
06-03-2008, 02:18 PM
No way you move him to AA this year... High A at the most. Catchers don't move up the system like other positions. He certainly could work his way into our top 1-4 prospects but he's still a good couple years away if we want to him to CATCH in the MLB

I leave Mesoraco in Dayton all season. He was a drafted high schooler last rather than an advanced college player ala Frazier. I keep him on the Bruce track for this year - Bruce was in Dayton for the full year 2006 - and then we'll see where he is by the end of the season and early next season.

lollipopcurve
06-03-2008, 02:21 PM
If he stays in Dayton all year and has success (OPS around .775 or so), it will have been a VERY positive year for Mesoraco. And the organization.

I agree. Would be a nice lean in the right direction for a draft class that has good potential and a long ways to go.

lollipopcurve
06-03-2008, 02:22 PM
I leave Mesoraco in Dayton all season.

Without question. And if he starts to struggle, I'd send him to Billings.

OnBaseMachine
06-03-2008, 02:31 PM
I leave Mesoraco in Dayton all season. He was a drafted high schooler last rather than an advanced college player ala Frazier. I keep him on the Bruce track for this year - Bruce was in Dayton for the full year 2006 - and then we'll see where he is by the end of the season and early next season.

Agreed.

SMcGavin
06-03-2008, 04:09 PM
If he puts up an .800 OPS in Dayton all year he will be making a legit argument to be the Reds #1/2 prospect.

Indeed, that would make him easily in the top five. :)

RedlegJake
06-03-2008, 05:03 PM
I think the hold back will be learning the nuances of catching. He definitely should stay in Dayton for the full year just for that reason. I see him easily eclipsing an .800 OPS and sustaining that level.

Kingspoint
06-03-2008, 05:50 PM

The average for Dayton is .695 and the League Average is .685, so that would be good. The only players better than .800 for Dayton right now are Mesoraco (.818), Frazier (1.000), and Waring (.838). Mesoraco has played in half as many games as the starters, though. He's in a platoon at Catcher.

dougdirt
06-03-2008, 06:29 PM
The average for Dayton is .695 and the League Average is .685, so that would be good. The only players better than .800 for Dayton right now are Mesoraco (.818), Frazier (1.000), and Waring (.838). Mesoraco has played in half as many games as the starters, though. He's in a platoon at Catcher.

He plays about 85% of the time, he just didn't start until after May began when he was called up. He doesn't always start at catcher, sometimes he is the DH.

Kingspoint
06-04-2008, 05:33 AM
He plays about 85% of the time, he just didn't start until after May began when he was called up. He doesn't always start at catcher, sometimes he is the DH.

Yes. In the last 12 Dayton games he's played in 10 of them starting all of them with 9 starts at Catcher and 1 at DH. He's been climbing up the batting order from 6th to 5th and the last 3 games or so, he's been batting 4th. The last time he DH'd was 11 games ago (9 games for him).

He had a rough day yesterday being hit by a pitch, picked off, and caught stealing. But, he did get on base 2 of 3 times.

11larkin11
06-04-2008, 09:53 AM
Yes. In the last 12 Dayton games he's played in 10 of them starting all of them with 9 starts at Catcher and 1 at DH. He's been climbing up the batting order from 6th to 5th and the last 3 games or so, he's been batting 4th. The last time he DH'd was 11 games ago (9 games for him).

He had a rough day yesterday being hit by a pitch, picked off, and caught stealing. But, he did get on base 2 of 3 times.

Are you just reading a box score? Because most of the time they include a PO as a CS but its actually just one play.

dougdirt
06-04-2008, 12:37 PM
Are you just reading a box score? Because most of the time they include a PO as a CS but its actually just one play.

Thats what happened. He was picked off and it also went as a caught stealing.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 12:13 AM
After a 2-for-4 night with a double, Mesoraco is now hitting .288/.366/.479 - .845 OPS. Very, very nice. He's showing more power than I expected at this point. Also gotta love that his OBP is nearly 80 points higher than his batting average. He's still probably three years away from the majors in best case scenario, but you still have to like what he's doing right now.

OnBaseMachine
06-05-2008, 12:59 AM
Mesoraco's HR not enough for Dragons
Listen to this article or download audio file.Click-2-Listen

By Marc Katz

Staff Writer

Tuesday, June 03, 2008

DAYTON It's way too early to tell if Devin Mesoraco is Cincinnati's next great catcher.

After all, he's only 19 he turns 20 on June 19 and had a rough go in his first professional half-season in the Gulf Coast League last year.

He couldn't even make the Class A Dayton Dragons out of spring training this season, instead staying behind to work on his game at extended spring training. Not only his bat needed work, but his catching skills as well.

All this from a player the Reds chose with their No. 1 draft choice in 2007.

Monday night, June 2, Mesoraco hit his third homer in 19 games with the Dragons. He's hitting .279, which happens to be the best batting average among the current Dragons.

None of this helped, however, as West Michigan took a second straight game from the Dragons, 10-6 (the third straight 10-spot the team has allowed), but Mesoraco is beginning to settle in.

"He's a fast learner," said Dragons manager Donnie Scott, a catcher in a long playing career that included four major-league seasons. "He's really coming along. He has done more than I expected."

In spring training, Scott figured Mesoraco was headed for another rookie-league season, this time in Billings, Mont.

"It was more because I know what Billings can do for you," Scott said. "In the GCL, you play day games. In Billings, you play under the lights. You can learn a lot playing out there."

Instead, Mesoraco improved enough at extended spring to be given a chance with the Dragons. He has responded.

"You need some time to get comfortable and work on things," Mesoraco said. "Right now, I'm seeing the ball well."

It's more than just hitting.

"He's swinging the bat good," Scott said. "He's showing instincts on the bases. He's catching better."

At the moment, the rest of the Dragons aren't on the same plateau. Some fielding mistakes and base-running gaffes hurt against the Whitecaps, and the pitching is not as precise as it once was. Dayton's 2-1 lead in the third didn't last a half inning.

Dragons pitchers allowed two homers and a season-high 17 hits. In only two innings were the Whitecaps retired in order, and in one of those, there was a walk wiped out by a caught-stealing.

"It will turn around," Mesoraco promised. "We're in a little rut right now. It happens to every club

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/dragons/2008/06/03/ddn060308spdragons.html