PDA

View Full Version : APB: Norris Hopper

HotCorner
05-27-2008, 12:56 PM
The latest news I could find on Hopper comes from the Enquirer on May 8th.

HOPPER UPDATE: Norris Hopper, on the disabled list with a sore right elbow, tossed Tuesday.

"It's a lot better," Hopper said. "I still have some tingling in my fingers. But it's getting better."

Anyone else hear anything more recent?

flyer85
05-27-2008, 01:10 PM
I guess tingling fingers must be a bad thing.

KronoRed
05-27-2008, 01:25 PM
Norris..the secret second half weapon

flyer85
05-27-2008, 01:27 PM
the Reds have about 10 guys on the current roster if they just disappeared I don't think anyone would notice for some time.

nate
05-27-2008, 01:52 PM
Sounds like he has the bends.

AtomicDumpling
05-27-2008, 03:52 PM
I wonder if we could trade Hopper to Korea for Lehr.

Spring~Fields
05-27-2008, 04:12 PM
the Reds have about 10 guys on the current roster if they just disappeared I don't think anyone would notice for some time.

That is true, they would be soon forgotten. The Reds announcers will literally have to remind other’s and myself that the former Reds so and so is now coming to bat or has been placed in such and such a position for the opposing team.

Many of will be saying, Oh, yeah, I remember him. "Easy out here waiting to happen" :D

Hoppers days are numbered, his best play might be to keep the fingers tingling unless he wants to go to the minors or elsewhere.

HotCorner
05-27-2008, 04:28 PM
IMO

Hopper > Patterson

I'd rather have Hop off the bench than Dusty's boy.

Reds1
05-27-2008, 04:38 PM
IMO

Hopper > Patterson

I'd rather have Hop off the bench than Dusty's boy.

OMG I don't think anyone would disagree with this post!

Rounding Third
05-27-2008, 09:23 PM
Sounds like he has the bends.

I think Dusty Baker punched his funny bone.

Ron Madden
05-28-2008, 01:58 AM
The sooner the Reds rid themselves of guys like Hopper and Patterson, the better it will be for all of us.

Highlifeman21
05-28-2008, 08:22 AM
OMG I don't think anyone would disagree with this post!

If used exactly the same, Patterson > Hopper. They both have similar wheels, can bunt about the same, but the difference comes in Patterson's defense compared to Hopper's.

Unfortunately they aren't used the same, so it's hard to say who is better. Patterson's not a leadoff hitter, and should hit 7th or 8th (but we'll never see that happen), while Hopper is more of a true leadoff hitter who has an AVG driven OBP. Conversely, nothing drives Patterson's OBP...

I honestly wouldn't mind watching a Dunn/Patterson/Bruce OF, but only if Patterson is low low low looooooooow in the lineup (again, which we'll never see).

nate
05-28-2008, 08:46 AM
I honestly wouldn't mind watching a Dunn/Patterson/Bruce OF, but only if Patterson is low low low looooooooow in the lineup (again, which we'll never see).

I'd let Patterson bat 17th.

KronoRed
05-28-2008, 12:34 PM
To be safe I'd bat him 25th, after all the pitchers.

Blitz Dorsey
05-28-2008, 08:58 PM
Hopper would be a very solid player off the bench the rest of this year and next year IMO. A guy that can give you spot starts in the OF and will get on base at a pretty high percentage when he gets at bats. I like Norris Hopper. Not as a starter of course, but as a No. 5 OF. Those spots on the roster are important too.

AmarilloRed
05-30-2008, 11:00 PM
The latest on Hopper for those who are interested:

The news on Norris Hopper isn't as good. "He's kind of stuck," Baker said. "He's throwing but not from very far." Hopper is going to Sarasota to get some at-bats in extended spring training. But extended spring ends when the half-season leagues open in mid-June.

http://beta.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3aa44adae9-8716-4fe9-b65f-50323bf6f5a1&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

GAC
06-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Hopper would be a very solid player off the bench the rest of this year and next year IMO. A guy that can give you spot starts in the OF and will get on base at a pretty high percentage when he gets at bats. I like Norris Hopper. Not as a starter of course, but as a No. 5 OF. Those spots on the roster are important too.

I thoroughly agree BD. Guys like that, if properly utilized (and that's the key) can contribute.

The problem has been with this organization - and I hope that mindset is changed by Walt - is that we try to take those bench/utility players and make them starters.