PDA

View Full Version : Jay Bruce is the saviour!

ChatterRed
05-28-2008, 12:47 AM
Okay, they won and his batting average is 1.0000.

My thread titile is a kidding. But it's a good sign that his first game is a win!

mroby85
05-28-2008, 12:59 AM
i'm excited to see this offense after we get keppinger back, i think bruce adds a lot to it.

NeilHamburger
05-28-2008, 01:23 AM
I think bruce has a legit shot at hitting over .400 this year.

Slyder
05-28-2008, 01:30 AM
Now lets see if Dusty can keep Patterson from shooting ourselves in the foot and leave him on the bench until Kepp, Mercker, and/or AGon is ready to come back and send Patterson walking.

After watching tonight assume we find a contender who Griffey would go to for a shot at a ring:
1 Freel/Hairston RF (whoever isnt starting is the double switch/utility guy)
2 Kepp SS
3 Bruce CF
4 Dunn LF
5 Phillips 2b
6 Votto 1b
7 EdE 3b
8 Catcher

I was impressed with what I saw from Bruce so far. His walk totals might not been that great at AAA but Phillips has made it work too. Thats a lot of potential for power and explosiveness where we can tell Freel he doesnt have to make something happen to score and cut back on the boneheaded steal attempts, he just has to wait and be ready to run really really fast.

Just one note... Janish also had a great first start/debut too so be ready for the inevitable struggles. But in the long run the Reds are better with Bruce out there than anyone else we have. Hopefully Dusty isnt stupid and puts Patterson out there for more than the 9th inning of ANY game and doesnt pitch hit with him (Freel, Hairston, and heck even Arroyo>Patterson with the bat).

I love the excitement I havent been this excited for Reds baseball since 99.

goreds2
05-28-2008, 01:35 AM
i'm excited to see this offense after we get keppinger back, i think bruce adds a lot to it.

YES! When we get KEPPE back, it will be very exciting to see him in right field or shortstop.

05-28-2008, 04:06 AM
YES! When we get KEPPE back, it will be very exciting to see him in right field or shortstop.

Fay reports that Kepp is recovering faster than expected. He is already running and hitting. He should be back in around two weeks. Very good news, his right handed bat is needed.

smoke6
05-28-2008, 07:40 AM
Jay brought excitement that I haven't seen in a long time. I read somewhere that Jay Bruce will make Reds fans forget about Johnny Bench. So far, so good.

durl
05-28-2008, 08:44 AM
So did the rain drive everyone from their seats last night or do fans not care to watch the Reds win?

Orodle
05-28-2008, 08:50 AM

after one game your going to make that assumption?

Ghosts of 1990
05-28-2008, 09:45 AM

easy man. I'd be thrilled with .290

SarasotaFan
05-28-2008, 10:58 AM
Jay brought excitement that I haven't seen in a long time. I read somewhere that Jay Bruce will make Reds fans forget about Johnny Bench. So far, so good.
Who ??? :D

Krawhitham
05-28-2008, 11:06 AM
Adam Dunn was the saviour
Austin Kearns was the saviour
Homer Bailey was the saviour

Krawhitham
05-28-2008, 11:07 AM

Pass the bong man

Jharb74
05-28-2008, 11:13 AM

So was Tom Seaver, Kevin Mitchell,and Ken Griffey Jr. Sense a trend?

NeilHamburger
05-28-2008, 11:15 AM
I actually think Bruce may hit .500 this year after thinking it over, anything less and I'll be extremely dissapointed.

SarasotaFan
05-28-2008, 11:19 AM
I actually think Bruce may hit .500 this year after thinking it over, anything less and I'll be extremely dissapointed.
Me too. Trade him.

bluesanta
05-28-2008, 11:25 AM
I'll be thrilled if he's better than Patterson. So about a .210 average should be suffice,

SarasotaFan
05-28-2008, 11:31 AM
I'll be thrilled if he's better than Patterson. So about a .210 average should be suffice,well then that's not really better than Patterson now is it, cause Patterson will have the edge in other areas...

Scott Botkins
05-28-2008, 11:37 AM
I was at the game last night and Bruce was impressive. I'm going again tonight and I'll be sitting out in right field hopefully catching his first homerun, of course I'll throw it back on to the field to let him keep it.

mroby85
05-28-2008, 12:09 PM

that means we're due then doesn't it :D

Jr's Boy
05-28-2008, 12:15 PM
I was at the game last night and Bruce was impressive. I'm going again tonight and I'll be sitting out in right field hopefully catching his first homerun, of course I'll throw it back on to the field to let him keep it.

I'd throw it back too for an autograph jersey.:)

smoke6
05-28-2008, 01:26 PM
The last Red to get 3 hits in his MLB debut...
Willie Green:rolleyes:

NastyBoy
05-28-2008, 01:33 PM
The second coming of Austin Kearns. :confused:

smoke6
05-28-2008, 01:35 PM
The second coming of Austin Kearns. :confused:

:thumbdown I hope he's better.

Trackman20
05-28-2008, 01:59 PM

Why would we ever want to forget about Johny Bench?!

Jefferson24
05-28-2008, 02:03 PM

If he didn't do it at AAA then it's not going to happen in Cincinnati. I would be happy with .300

smoke6
05-28-2008, 02:04 PM

Well, mostly because he's an absolute A-hole. Have you ever met him?

NeilHamburger
05-28-2008, 04:05 PM
Bench isn't an a-hole if you're a local weatherMAN, if you know what I mean.

UC_Ken
05-28-2008, 04:40 PM
Bench may be an A-hole and Neil I do know what you mean, not that there's anything wrong with that (inside joke for Seinfeld fans) but nothing Bruce will ever do will make people forget the best catcher who ever lived. Even being the best RF ever would just put him on the same team of the best players who ever lived.

Carin4Narron
05-28-2008, 05:21 PM
Jay brought excitement that I haven't seen in a long time. I read somewhere that Jay Bruce will make Reds fans forget about Johnny Bench. So far, so good.PLEASE, let's stop comparing every DAMM guy that comes up to a member of the Big Red Machine! There was only and will be only 1 Big Red Machine!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

_Sir_Charles_
05-28-2008, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackman20 http://www.redszone.com/forums/skins/RedsZone/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1646919#post1646919)

Well, mostly because he's an absolute A-hole. Have you ever met him?

Actually, yes...I have. Although that wasn't directed to me. I thought I'd relate this story.

As a kid, Johnny was my favorite Red. I mean I simply idolized the guy. My family moved down to Houston the same year the All Star game was there and I went to the Hotel downtown where a bunch of the players were staying in hopes of getting some autographs and such. Well, after getting a ton of them, I'm walking around in the lobby and there I see J.B. on the second floor coming down the escalator. I dash over (I was the only one, either nobody else noticed him yet or they didn't recognize him...being in Houston afterall) and say, "Mr. Bench, Mr. Bench...could I please get your autograph?". And my dear, beloved idol, turned to me and said..."get the hell away from me kid" and walked off. I was stunned, heartbroken and above all...pissed. I've since written the guy off as an a-hole. And I've swapped my favorite red title over to Pete Rose. Regardless of what the media says about Pete, I'll stay a fan. I've met him 5 times and each time he's been engaging, polite and willing to chat. And best of all, he's remembered me and my name each time. Great guy and I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here, but he should be in the hall...period.

Oh, wait, this thread is about Jay....GO BRUCE!!! :O)

ChatterRed
05-28-2008, 06:48 PM
I really enjoyed Jay Bruce's interviews. I heard Marty and Hal McCoy talking about him a week ago, in the same conversation about how Homer Bailey isn't very likable, they said that Bruce is very personable, likeable, friendly, outgoing, etc........that you couldn't help but like him. I think he is going to endear himself to the fans in a big way.

Homer could take a few notes. Oh yeah, he's too busy reading his hunting magazine. :D