PDA

View Full Version : Good win for Cueto last night!

44Magnum
05-28-2008, 10:03 AM
He didn't pitch his best, but he stopped the leaking when he had to. That first inning was something after the first two guys reached. This kid is going to be special! :thumbup:

RedsInFL
05-28-2008, 10:17 AM
Got very high hopes for Cueto, I agree with you. He is special.

TheBigLebowski
05-28-2008, 10:20 AM
I agree that he is going to be special but he is anything but right now.

He should have given up a LOT more runs than he did last night. I think his biggest problem right now is that he's tipping his pitches. He has to be. Even if his location is bad (which it really wasn't last night with 1 or 2 exceptions), his stuff is too good to be getting hit as hard as it is. Ian Snell is not what one would consider a "good hitting pitcher" by any measure. However, even he was all over Cueto's stuff last night. If I were Pole or Soto I'd examine his delivery and mannerisms closely. It's my honest opinion that someone has picked up on something.

CySeymour
05-28-2008, 10:35 AM
I personally haven't seen a lot of Cueto so far. Should he have started the season in the bigs or was it the right thing to bring him north?

Ghosts of 1990
05-28-2008, 10:40 AM
First inning jam was a thing of beauty to escape from. Happy he added another 'W" to his career total.

LexingtonLegend
05-28-2008, 10:47 AM
I personally haven't seen a lot of Cueto so far. Should he have started the season in the bigs or was it the right thing to bring him north?

IMO Cueto would be dominating guys in AAA and learning nothing. I think it's a good thing that he is up here getting to face major league hitting. It looks like to me he tends to give up clusters of runs, if we could just get him out of there in time in the 6th or 7th before he gives up that bunch of runs he'd have a better chance at being on the hook for a win.

CySeymour
05-28-2008, 10:49 AM
IMO Cueto would be dominating guys in AAA and learning nothing. I think it's a good thing that he is up here getting to face major league hitting. It looks like to me he tends to give up clusters of runs, if we could just get him out of there in time in the 6th or 7th before he gives up that bunch of runs he'd have a better chance at being on the hook for a win.

You are probably right. I also think this is one reason why Earl Weaver liked having his young pitchers starting out in the bullpen instead of the rotation. But, and this is a huge but, if Dusty can resist over using Cueto, he should be able to learn quite a bit this season.

44Magnum
05-28-2008, 11:06 AM
Cueto is right where he needs to be. The defense (RF) killed him last night. Numerous pitches were added to his total due to inept defense behind him!:thumbdown

OUReds
05-28-2008, 11:45 AM
Cueto is a flyball pitcher (under 40% ground ball %) with atrocious outfield defense behind him. The difference between his FIP and ERA has been between 1.00 and .7 all year.

He's also been a bit unlucky, with 17% of his fly balls going for home runs against a league average of 11%. Now, he's going to be above 11% due to the ballpark and his growing pains, but 17% still says unlucky to me.

He's 22, the 5th youngest player in the league, and holding his own. He's gonna be a darn good pitcher very soon.

bluesanta
05-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Cueto is right where he needs to be. The defense (RF) killed him last night. Numerous pitches were added to his total due to inept defense behind him!:thumbdown

I noticed that too. Griffey is soooooo slow these days, and I think it's just that he dosen't care enough to hustle after plays. I'd much rather have a hardnosed player like Freel out there.

ChatterRed
05-28-2008, 01:54 PM
I keep hoping Griffey will hit #600 and retire.

Orodle
05-28-2008, 03:21 PM
he needs to get ahead, always seems like he pitching from behind in the count

Hondo
05-28-2008, 03:29 PM
Jim Leyland says "You should always go with the Talent"

And I am glad the Reds are sticking with Cueto... It is so much more exciting, anticipating his starts and seeing him Pitch, than when Belisle or Fogg get ran out there...

I would just as soon see Homer Bailey pitch instead of Belsile every 5th day...

Oxilon
05-28-2008, 04:15 PM
I keep hoping Griffey will hit #600 and retire.

Griffey's going to eventually heat up. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes on a tear once he hits #600. He's defense, however, will only be shades of what it once was, and that might be saying it nicely.

Come the deadline, I really hope we can flip him to an AL contender, not only for us, but for him. The dude deserves to be on a playoff contender, and well, we deserve a CF/RF who can actually play some defense.

Hondo
05-28-2008, 04:55 PM
Griffey's going to eventually heat up. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes on a tear once he hits #600. He's defense, however, will only be shades of what it once was, and that might be saying it nicely.

Come the deadline, I really hope we can flip him to an AL contender, not only for us, but for him. The dude deserves to be on a playoff contender, and well, we deserve a CF/RF who can actually play some defense.

I agree that he will heat up. He may be slow in Right, but they guy is going to start hitting and end up with 30 Homers and 90-100 RBI, and when he does HEAT up... The same people that are bashing him now will be sitting down in the same corner with the former Adam Dunn bashers... Not saying much!

krm1580
05-28-2008, 05:14 PM
I agree that he is going to be special but he is anything but right now.

He should have given up a LOT more runs than he did last night. I think his biggest problem right now is that he's tipping his pitches. He has to be. Even if his location is bad (which it really wasn't last night with 1 or 2 exceptions), his stuff is too good to be getting hit as hard as it is. Ian Snell is not what one would consider a "good hitting pitcher" by any measure. However, even he was all over Cueto's stuff last night. If I were Pole or Soto I'd examine his delivery and mannerisms closely. It's my honest opinion that someone has picked up on something.

I looked at the MLB gameday from last nights game, which granted is not 100% perfect, but his location was not terrible, his velocity was good, there was a 12-15 MPH difference between is Fastball and offspeed stuff and he was getting ahead most of the time in the count so I am not sure why he was getting hit as hard as he was.

It could be that he did not have a lot of movement on his pitches or that he does not throw his change up enough, but there may be something to the fact that he is tipping his pitches.

GoReds33
05-28-2008, 05:18 PM
I wish we had more starting pitching waiting. If we did, I wouldn't mind sticking Cueto back in the minors until he can control everything, and keep it down.

44Magnum
05-28-2008, 05:23 PM
I agree that he will heat up. He may be slow in Right, but they guy is going to start hitting and end up with 30 Homers and 90-100 RBI, and when he does HEAT up... The same people that are bashing him now will be sitting down in the same corner with the former Adam Dunn bashers... Not saying much!

Dude,
I sure hope you are right. I just honestly don't think he has anything left in the tank to get close to those numbers again.