PDA

View Full Version : Dunn for Sabathia?

Matt700wlw
05-28-2008, 02:06 PM
Sabathia may be available, but for a steep price
By Ken Rosenthal
Ken Rosenthal has been the senior baseball writer for FOXSports.com since Aug. 2005. He appears weekly on the FSN Baseball Report and MLB on FOX.

Updated: May 28, 2008, 11:18 AM EST

Here's an idea: C.C. Sabathia for Adam Dunn.

The Indians probably wouldn't do it, not even after Fausto Carmona returns in a month to restore their surplus of starting pitching.

But the concept pitching rental for hitting rental merits consideration for a Cleveland team that ranks first in the American League in rotation ERA but only 11th in runs per game.

Dunn, Pat Burrell, Bobby Abreu, Mark Teixeira any of those potential free agents would lift the Indians' sagging offense. Teixeira, the only plus defender, is by far the most appealing. Then again, as badly as the Tribe is going, a little creativity might be required.

Dunn and Burrell would be difficult fits; neither can play right field, and their defensive shortcomings would partly offset their offensive contributions.

Teixeira would not be available unless the Braves were desperate for starting pitching and positioned to deal for a suitable replacement at first base.

Abreu? An interesting thought, considering that the acquisition of Sabathia would give the Yankees exclusive negotiating rights with the pitcher until he reached free agency. But the Indians surely would want more than a fading 34-year-old right fielder for a 28-year-old ace.

Second baseman Robinson Cano, 25, would be more intriguing, but the Yankees can control Cano through 2013 and would not trade him unless they received younger pieces such as left-hander Aaron Laffey and outfielder Ben Francisco in addition to Sabathia. For the Indians, who need young players to balance their payroll, such a deal would be self-defeating.

OK, what about Abreu to satisfy short-term objectives plus one or two of the Yankees' better young pitchers to satisfy long-term needs?

Such possibilities are worth exploring, at the very least.

Trading Sabathia for multiple prospects only would make sense if the Indians fell out of contention, which is unlikely in the surprisingly mediocre AL Central.

But keeping Sabathia, then losing him for draft picks, only would make sense if the Indians looked poised for a World Series run. At the moment, they hardly resemble that kind of a team.

The Indians could almost name their price if they were willing to move Sabathia before the July 31 non-waiver deadline.

Let their due diligence begin.

Jpup
05-28-2008, 02:08 PM
This guy gets paid to write this stuff?

flyer85
05-28-2008, 02:09 PM
why would the Reds want to trade for a guy they have no chance of having around next year?

OldXOhio
05-28-2008, 02:17 PM
Sabathia may be available, but for a steep price
By Ken Rosenthal

Here's an idea: C.C. Sabathia for Adam Dunn.

Dunn and Burrell would be difficult fits; neither can play right field, and their defensive shortcomings would partly offset their offensive contributions.

Roses are red, violets are blue. I'm schizophrenic and so am I.

OnBaseMachine
05-28-2008, 02:26 PM
why would the Reds want to trade for a guy they have no chance of having around next year?

Exactly. Keep Dunn and lock him up to a four year deal.

RichRed
05-28-2008, 02:32 PM

Because it's important that the Reds don't try to impede the progress of the true contenders. It only matters that the trade is good for the other team.

flyer85
05-28-2008, 02:36 PM
Because it's important that the Reds don't try to impede the progress of the true contenders. It only matters that the trade is good for the other team.silly me ... wondering what was in it for the Reds. I shall :bang: until forgiven

red-in-la
05-28-2008, 02:39 PM
This guy gets paid to write this stuff?

The point is, how do I get paid to write this stuff?

red-in-la
05-28-2008, 02:41 PM
Exactly. Keep Dunn and lock him up to a four year deal.

Would Sabathia stay in Cincy for 4 years at 16 or 17 mill a year? Does anybody think he wouldn't?

RedsManRick
05-28-2008, 02:42 PM
If the Reds were in need of starting pitching and had a lot of offense to spare, this might make sense.

Unfortunately, our run production and prevention are similarly below average. Shifting the balance doesn't really accomplish anything.

flyer85
05-28-2008, 02:42 PM
If the Reds were in need of starting pitching and had a lot of offense to spare, this might make sense.and it would only make sense if the deal was one to cement them as a playoff team ... nothing could be further from the truth.

OnBaseMachine
05-28-2008, 02:45 PM
Would Sabathia stay in Cincy for 4 years at 16 or 17 mill a year? Does anybody think he wouldn't?

No. He reportedly wants to play on the west coast.

Jpup
05-28-2008, 02:46 PM

He'll be in the Bronx unless he doesn't like money.

CTA513
05-28-2008, 02:49 PM
Only if he would be willing to sign a contract extention to stay.... which I doubt he would.

dabvu2498
05-28-2008, 02:50 PM
CC's going to want a contract longer than the one I'd want to give him.

REDREAD
05-28-2008, 02:51 PM
If the Reds were in need of starting pitching and had a lot of offense to spare, this might make sense.

Unfortunately, our run production and prevention are similarly below average. Shifting the balance doesn't really accomplish anything.

Or it makes sense if the Reds have decided they don't want Dunn back, but are willing to break the bank for CC.. Note, I don't think this is a good idea (CC for Dunn).. however, the concept isn't totally bad. If the Reds plan not to bring Dunn back and they get no worthy offers of young talent, then trading Dunn for a vet that they do want to lock up long term makes more sense than letting Dunn walk.. Think of Milwaukee trading Lee for Cordero 2 years ago (although that trade was more complex)..

red-in-la
05-28-2008, 02:53 PM

Too bad. If the Reds spend Dunn money to re-sign him, they should have spent it on an ACE instead.

I am not exactly against retaining Dunn, just not at the cost of a true ACE or #2 starter.

fearofpopvol1
05-28-2008, 02:59 PM
Wasn't this actually a proposed trade in like 2004 or 2005? One that was actually getting reported by a lot of people? I could've sworn it was.

I don't think this deal would make sense for the Reds because I don't think that pushes them over the hump. The Reds need bullpen help more than SP help and the offense, while better lately, is still questionable.

jojo
05-28-2008, 03:52 PM

Me. I don't think Dunn would either.

KronoRed
05-28-2008, 06:52 PM
When Dunn goes it needs to be for more then 1 guy and it needs to fill some of this teams glaring holes considering the big hit him being gone will create in the offense.