PDA

View Full Version : New MLB.com mock draft

OnBaseMachine
05-28-2008, 02:51 PM
1. Tampa Bay Rays: Tim Beckham, SS, Griffin HS, Griffin, Ga.
Thought about switching back to FSU catcher Buster Posey here, but instead decided that the toolsy high school shortstop out of Georgia is the way to go ... for now. Southern California catcher Kyle Skipworth, Vandy third baseman Pedro Alvarez and San Diego lefty Brian Matusz are still in the mix for the Rays.
Last week's projection: Tim Beckham

2. Pittsburgh Pirates: Pedro Alvarez, 3B, Vanderbilt
No change here, with the Pirates still in line to make some waves by taking Alvarez. They'll still consider Posey and perhaps even Matusz if they feel they need to go with the top college pitcher.
Last week's projection: Alvarez

3. Kansas City Royals: Eric Hosmer, 1B, American Heritage HS, Plantation, Fla.
People keep wanting Hosmer to fall because of signability, but I'm sticking to my guns here. Now, I'm well aware things can change in the last several days and if the Pirates don't take Alvarez, the Royals just might and send Hosmer sliding some. Justin Smoak, the South Carolina first baseman, and Matusz still could figure into it if things on the bonus end go awry.
Last week's projection: Hosmer

4. Baltimore Orioles: Brian Matusz, LHP, University of San Diego
It seems to be coming down to Matusz or Smoak in this spot and depending on who you talk to, the O's are going in different directions. I came very close to switching to the bat here, but the gut is telling me the southpaw is the pick.
Last week's projection: Matusz

5. San Francisco Giants: Buster Posey, C, Florida State
If the Rays don't take him and the Pirates take Alvarez, this is the next place Posey can end up. The Giants supposedly are leaning bat even if Posey's gone, with Smoak and Skipworth beings possibilities. If Matusz is around, they might discuss going in that direction, but they'll be pleased as punch to get the FSU catcher.
Last week's projection: Posey

6. Florida Marlins: Kyle Skipworth, C, Patriot HS, Riverside, Calif.
If the O's go for a hitter along with the Giants, the Marlins could possibly jump on Matusz. But assuming he's gone, like he is in this scenario, Skipworth still seems to make a whole lot of sense here, and they've been on him all along.
Last week's projection: Skipworth

7. Cincinnati Reds: Yonder Alonso, 1B, University of Miami
It sounds like it might come down to a hitter-vs.-pitcher debate. Aaron Crow, the Missouri ace who's been in this spot since the first projection, still is very much in the mix, but here's thinking he could slide a few spots and the Reds decide to go with the college first baseman they like the best.
Last week's projection: Crow

8. Chicago White Sox: Gordon Beckham, SS, University of Georgia
They'd have interest in Alonso if the Reds don't take him and they might have interest in Skipworth if he's around. ASU's Brett Wallace still gets mentioned occasionally here, but G-Beck still makes the most sense in this slot.
Last week's projection: Gordon Beckham

9. Washington Nationals: Justin Smoak, 1B, University of South Carolina
As stated here last week, SoCal high school outfielder Zach Collier will likely be discussed, as would Skipworth if he somehow is still there. Crow could be considered, as could lefty Christian Friedrich, though that's less likely. The way things are lining up in this projection, though, the switch-hitter from South Carolina is the pick.
Last week's projection: Smoak

10. Houston Astros: Aaron Crow, RHP, University of Missouri
College arms have always been what made sense here, starting with Tanner Scheppers before he got hurt. Shooter Hunt was a possibility, but there's talk of him sliding a bit. A bat could still be a possibility, but if Crow actually does make it to this spot, he won't go any further.
Last week's projection: Alonso

11. Texas Rangers: Andrew Cashner, RHP, Texas Christian
Hunt was in this spot a week ago and it still seems likely that a college arm will go here, though the possibility of California high school pitcher Gerrit Cole is still a possibility along with SoCal outfielder Aaron Hicks. But Cashner has had plenty of helium, has a big arm and a good delivery and has the added bonus of being in the Rangers' backyard at TCU.
Last week's projection: Hunt

12. Oakland A's: Christian Friedrich, LHP, Eastern Kentucky
If Hunt (or Crow, for that matter) are still around, they'll get some consideration here, no doubt. Wallace is still in the mix, as are high schoolers Aaron Hicks, an outfielder, and Ethan Martin, a right-hander. But I'm sticking with my initial pick here, the next-best college lefty in the class after Matusz.
Last week's projection: Friedrich

13. St. Louis Cardinals: Ryan Perry, RHP, University of Arizona
Zach Collier still gets mentioned prominently here and Hunt would likely get some consideration. Aaron Hicks is reportedly in the mix, but we're sticking with Perry, the Arizona right-hander with the big velocity.
Last week's projection: Perry

14. Minnesota Twins: Aaron Hicks, OF/RHP, Woodrow Wilson HS, Long Beach, Calif.
Hicks, the toolsy outfielder (and talented pitcher, though he doesn't want to go that route), is still the best choice here. Other considerations could be Collier and maybe Canadian high schooler Brett Lawrie, who's name is starting to pop up at least in discussions about picks at this point in the round.
Last week's projection: Hicks

15. Los Angeles Dodgers: Zach Collier, OF, Chino Hills HS, Calif.
It's hard not to put a high school arm like Ethan Martin (last week's pick) or Jake Odorizzi with the Dodgers, and they both might be in the mix. So might Brett Lawrie. But if Collier, another toolsy outfielder from SoCal, is still available, the Dodgers might find his upside too difficult to pass up.
Last week's projection: Ethan Martin

16. Milwaukee Brewers: Anthony Hewitt, SS, Salisbury School, Salisbury, Conn.
Hewitt's still very much in the mix here and will likely be part of a very interesting draft-room discussion. Other high schoolers who could figure into that debate are Hicks, if he's still around, and Lawrie. If a power arm like Cashner or Perry floats down, that might be the way to go and perhaps Josh Fields, Georgia's closer, could sneak into consideration. For now, though, we'll stick with Hewitt and his tremendous upside.
Last week's projection: Hewitt

17. Toronto Blue Jays: Brett Wallace, 1B/3B, Arizona State
A guy who can hit like this might deserve to go higher, and he just might. If that's the case, the Jays may stay within their borders and take Lawrie, who hails from British Columbia. But with Wallace on the board, his offensive skill set will be too hard to pass up.
Last week's projection: Wallace

18. New York Mets: Ike Davis, OF, Arizona State
It's still looking like the Mets will opt for talent that can help them sooner rather than later, at least with some early picks. There was talk of an Anthony Hewitt workout recently, but keep in mind he lives nearby and a workout doesn't necessarily mean being picked. That being said, he might be a backup plan if other things fail. If Perry makes it down this far, he could be a choice, but we'll stick with ASU's Davis, the son of former big-league reliever Ron.
Last week's projection: Davis

19. Chicago Cubs: Brett Lawrie, C/3B, Brookswood SS, Langley, B.C.
It's looking likely that the Cubs will go with a high school bat if the right one is there. That could be Collier, or it could be Sarasota High shortstop Casey Kelly. But if Lawrie and his bat (and athletcism) are still around, that seems like the best bet. His recent performance in the Dominican Republic with Team Canada, however, might price him out of this spot when all is said and done.
Last week's projection: Lawrie

20. Seattle Mariners: Shooter Hunt, RHP, Tulane
All along, the feeling was the Mariners would look for the best college pitcher with a live arm. It could be Perry or Cashner if they were here, but they're not in this projection. Hunt is and the slide will stop here.
Last week's projection: Cashner

21. Detroit Tigers: Casey Kelly, SS, Sarasota HS, Fla.
The Tigers have been willing/able to do just about anything with their top picks and it's automatically assumed that any "signability issue" types could slide to them. Barring that, they would have interest in high school talents like Collier or Lawrie, or strong college arms like Perry or even Rice's Bryan Price. Kelly, the son of one-time Reds bench coach Pat, has a ton of athleticism and could one day be a very good, big shortstop. He also could be the quarterback at the University of Tennessee and there is some concern it might take a little extra to sign him away from that. The Tigers are a team who could do it if they so choose.

22. New York Mets: Jason Castro, C, Stanford
Castro, a left-handed hitter who's proven he can catch to most scouts, has been mentioned as a possibility all up and down the first round over the past few weeks. With the Mets still looking for college bats and Castro still not off the board, this seems to be a good match.

23. San Diego Padres: Daniel Schlereth, LHP, University of Arizona
Scouts have always liked Schlereth's arm and his bulldog mentality, but he had kind of a setup-man profile. Then he pitched in a series against Stanford with a ton of eyes on him and came out throwing 97-98 mph. He's been lights-out in his last few outings, greatly enhancing his status, and now is being looked at as a guy who might be able to close at the next level.

24. Philadelphia Phillies: Ethan Martin, RHP, Stephens County HS, Toccoa, Ga.
There's a tendency to want to put any toolsy high schooler with the Phillies and while they've taken their fair share, it's not a guarantee (see Savery, Joe, from last year). That being said, they'd certainly be interested if Hewitt or perhaps Collier was sill on the board here. Since neither is, we'll go with the top high school arm still around in Martin. There's a chance he'll be long gone, but the Phillies have shown a willingness to take who they think is the best available player when it's their turn.

25. Colorado Rockies: Jake Odorizzi, RHP, Highland HS, Ill.
Odorizzi's name moved steadily up the charts this spring as he continued to throw consistently well to the point where some thought of him as perhaps the best prep arm in the class. He might not be the first off the board, but word is the Rockies would love to see him around at this slot.

26. Arizona Diamondbacks: Josh Fields, RHP, University of Georgia
Another strong-armed college reliever (it appears to be a strength in the class), he might go above to a team looking for a short reliever who can move quickly. Fields had a subpar junior season and went back to school rather than sign with the Braves, who took him in the second round last year. He was unhittable in his senior season and though he's a Scott Boras advisee, he should sign and move quickly, a la Matt LaPorta.

27. Minnesota Twins: Brett DeVall, LHP, Niceville HS, Fla.
The inclination was to find a "safer" pick to offset the high-risk, high-reward pick of Hicks by the Twins at 14. There wasn't one that fit and the Twins have never been afraid of going their own route. DeVall is the best lefty in the high school ranks and a pretty advanced pitcher, so he could be seen as rather safe, at least as far as prep arms go.

28. New York Yankees: Gerrit Cole, RHP, Orange Lutheran HS, Orange, Calif.
There's been a lot of talk about the Yankees repeating -- in a way -- what they did in last year's Draft by taking an injured college pitcher with their first-round pick. In this case, it would be Fresno State's Tanner Scheppers. That shoulder injury is so unusual, though, that it could scare any team off. So could Cole's supposed price tag, but the Yankees can obviously afford to negotiate with the Boras advisee. There's no doubt about Cole's arm strength and he can crank it up into the upper 90s. New York is a team that can definitely wait to let the rest of his game catch up to the velocity.

29. Cleveland Indians: Jemile Weeks, 2B, University of Miami
Rickie's younger brother isn't quite as strong as big bro, but he can run and has shown more pop this year than expected. If another college bat made its way here, the Indians could go in that direction, but Weeks could be the top name on their board by the time their turn to pick comes around. The only question is whether he can stick at second, with some believing a move to center field is in order.

30. Boston Red Sox: Lance Lynn, RHP, University of Mississippi
The Red Sox are willing to go in any direction at any point in the Draft, so this pick could be anyone's guess. There'd been a lot of talk about South Carolina's Reese Havens in this spot, but Lynn's name has recently cropped up as a late-first-round candidate. After a bit of a dip in performance in the middle of the season, he's really stepped it up lately (when it counts), including an outstanding start at the SEC Tournament, with plenty of people on hand to see it.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080528&content_id=2786402&vkey=draft2008&fext=.jsp

OnBaseMachine
05-28-2008, 02:52 PM
Alonso is a great hitter but if the Reds are going to draft a first baseman it needs to be Justin Smoak. Smoak is considered the best defender of the college first baseman and he is a switch-hitter with plus-plus power from both sides of the plate. His bat has drawn comparisons to Lance Berkman.

redsmetz
05-28-2008, 02:57 PM
7. Cincinnati Reds: Yonder Alonso, 1B, University of Miami
It sounds like it might come down to a hitter-vs.-pitcher debate. Aaron Crow, the Missouri ace who's been in this spot since the first projection, still is very much in the mix, but here's thinking he could slide a few spots and the Reds decide to go with the college first baseman they like the best.
Last week's projection: Crow

And when will be the first time an announcer calls a game with him in the field describing a ball hit just over the first baseman, saying, "it's over Yonder"?

M2
05-28-2008, 03:00 PM
I'd be in shock if the Reds took Alonso in front of G. Beckham.

Aronchis
05-28-2008, 03:03 PM
The Reds are in a bad spot. The talent they would really like will likely be gone by the time they pick. I expect another out of left field Mes type pick.

Oxilon
05-28-2008, 03:22 PM
Seems like there's an overhaul of catching prospects available in the draft this year. Where would Mesoraco fall between the likes of Posey, Skipworth, Lawrie, and Castro?

M2
05-28-2008, 03:34 PM
The Reds are in a bad spot. The talent they would really like will likely be gone by the time they pick. I expect another out of left field Mes type pick.

While a higher pick always nets you more options, there's plenty of talent to be had in the top 10 this year. If the Reds are looking at G. Beckham, Crow and Smoak on the board when they pick, then they really can't complain about being in a bad spot. Oddly the Reds never seem to be associated with G. Beckham even though you've got to figure he profiles as exactly what they're looking for. In fact they seem to be actively trying to tie themselves to anyone but the lesser Beckham (even complete reaches like Kelly and Wallace). That's got to be a disinformation campaign. My take is if Beckham's there, the Reds will trip over themselves on the way to hollering out his name.

fearofpopvol1
05-28-2008, 03:39 PM
I'd be in shock if the Reds took Alonso in front of G. Beckham.

I agree completely. And I'm not usually one to say you should draft for need over talent, but the fact that Gordon Beckham does happen to be a need for the Reds (more than 1B/Alonso) makes this even more difficult to understand.

M2
05-28-2008, 03:42 PM
I agree completely. And I'm not usually one to say you should draft for need over talent, but the fact that Gordon Beckham does happen to be a need for the Reds (more than 1B/Alonso) makes this even more difficult to understand.

Plus, a SS who can hit is a perpetual need. Nabbing a 1B who can hit is one of the easier general manager tasks in the game of baseball.

11larkin11
05-28-2008, 03:55 PM
Smoak is very intriguing, especially as a switch hitter. I like Alonso, but I would be taking Matusz, Crow, Smoak, and Beckham ahead of him.

lollipopcurve
05-28-2008, 04:12 PM
In fact they seem to be actively trying to tie themselves to anyone but the lesser Beckham (even complete reaches like Kelly and Wallace). That's got to be a disinformation campaign. My take is if Beckham's there, the Reds will trip over themselves on the way to hollering out his name.

May be true. But the MiLB scouting report suggests that Beckham may end up moving to 2B. Another Aaron Hill (a Buckley pick)? Another Chris Valaika? I'm a little suspicious of Beckham's bustout this year. The huge power spike is weird. Meanwhile, Brett Wallace has won the Pac 10 Triple Crown 2 years in a row. He is not a "complete reach" at #7, in my opinion. That kid is going to hit for solid power and get on base a lot in the major leagues. I assume Alonso's bat is for real, too. A lot of the college guys are going to be fine with me this year -- while the only high schooler I'll feel comfortable with is T. Beckham, and I really doubt he'll be there.

Aronchis
05-28-2008, 04:22 PM
The Reds are always interesting with bats. They always seem to find the guy that falls that shouldn't or the sleeper. Adam Dunn, Joey Votto, Jay Bruce, I suspect Todd Frazier. It doesn't seem to matter who is running the club either.

Jay Bruce should have been a top 5 pick. His rise during his final HS year and the mutterings of franchise potential should of rocketed him up the charts.

Frazier IMO should have been a 1st rounder, yet he fell. Votto was a sleeper pick from Canada. Dunn was a football player.

I wish they could do that with arms.

Blue
05-28-2008, 04:58 PM
That's one terrible attempt at handicapping the Reds choice by Mayo.

flyer85
05-28-2008, 04:58 PM
I would go with the arm over a 1B. If you are a 1B you have nowhere to move and you have to rake to have much value.

Give me Beckham or Crow over Alonso.

lollipopcurve
05-28-2008, 05:03 PM
I would go with the arm over a 1B. If you are a 1B you have nowhere to move and you have to rake to have much value.

Understood. One of the reasons I like Wallace is that he may be able to stay at 3rd.

M2
05-28-2008, 05:06 PM
May be true. But the MiLB scouting report suggests that Beckham may end up moving to 2B. Another Aaron Hill (a Buckley pick)? Another Chris Valaika? I'm a little suspicious of Beckham's bustout this year. The huge power spike is weird. Meanwhile, Brett Wallace has won the Pac 10 Triple Crown 2 years in a row. He is not a "complete reach" at #7, in my opinion. That kid is going to hit for solid power and get on base a lot in the major leagues. I assume Alonso's bat is for real, too. A lot of the college guys are going to be fine with me this year -- while the only high schooler I'll feel comfortable with is T. Beckham, and I really doubt he'll be there.

I don't like Wallace's power profile, he's going to lose a lot of juice with a wood bat. Also, though I don't recommend scouting based on body types, the kid is built like a 55-year-old house frau. No way do you take him in front of Smoak or Alonso.

If Beckham has to move to 2B or 3B, that's fine if his bat is for real (power to all fields, great eye at the plate, good bat speed, level swing, has done well in wood bat leagues). It's one of the reasons you draft a SS with a quality bat, he doesn't have to be a SS in the final analysis. Plus, Beckham's bat at this juncture is an order of magnitude better than Valaika or Hill's were heading into their drafts. He's got a 1.305 OPS. That's just insane production.

I'm with you on Beckham being the only high schooler of interest where the Reds will be picking. I'm hoping Hosmer and Skipworth go higher just to increase the pool of players I'd like the Reds to be selecting from.

OnBaseMachine
05-28-2008, 05:54 PM
The chances of Brian Matusz falling to the Reds seems to be increasing each week. Two months ago there was zero chance of that happening, but now those chances are improving. If Matusz makes it past the Orioles there's a decent chance he falls to the Reds. I sure hope so because Brian Matusz would look awful nice in the Reds rotation in a couple years.

M2
05-28-2008, 05:57 PM
The chances of Brian Matusz falling to the Reds seems to be increasing each week. Two months ago there was zero chance of that happening, but now those chances are improving. If Matusz makes it past the Orioles there's a decent chance he falls to the Reds. I sure hope so because Brian Matusz would look awful nice in the Reds rotation in a couple years.

Word.

fearofpopvol1
05-28-2008, 06:03 PM

Yes seriously. Behind Posey and the younger Beckham, he would be my #1 choice for the Reds for sure.

OnBaseMachine
05-28-2008, 06:11 PM
Back to Gordon Beckham for a minute. Why do scouts think he may not stick at shortstop in the majors? I've read some reports on him from milb.com and they say Beckham has above average range at shortstop and has the ability to be an excellent defender. If that's true then why would he move off shortstop? With a bat like that and above average range, why move the guy?

Grande Donkey
05-28-2008, 06:13 PM
Back to Gordon Beckham for a minute. Why do scouts think he may not stick at shortstop in the majors? I've read some reports on him from milb.com and they say Beckham has above average range at shortstop and has the ability to be an excellent defender. If that's true then why would he move off shortstop? With a bat like that and above average range, why move the guy?
I've heard that it is because he might end up growing out of it.

OnBaseMachine
05-28-2008, 06:16 PM
The Georgia athletic website shows Beckham at 6'0" and 185 pounds. There's not a whole lot of room for projection there and that's the same exact weight/height of Barry Larkin.

M2
05-28-2008, 07:12 PM
I get the feeling that when you aren't a wizard in the field (e.g. just very good) and you've got a big stick, then the scouts put a defensive caveat on you. Players like that don't have to stay at SS to make it.

IIRC, there was speculation after Larkin got drafted whether he'd remain at SS.

NC Reds
05-28-2008, 10:00 PM
I will be peeved if we take Yonder with this pick.

Matusz
Crow
Gordon Beckman
Smoak

I really want Matusz or Crow.

11larkin11
05-28-2008, 10:43 PM
Do pretty much all of us agree that Matusz would be the best pick? I am really, really hoping for him, but that would mean most likely the 6 guys taken before us are field players and we would take the first pitcher.

Caveat Emperor
05-29-2008, 12:48 AM
I get the feeling that when you aren't a wizard in the field (e.g. just very good) and you've got a big stick, then the scouts put a defensive caveat on you. Players like that don't have to stay at SS to make it.

IIRC, there was speculation after Larkin got drafted whether he'd remain at SS.

Agreed.

It's almost like there is an in-built bias against offensive production from the SS position -- as if scouts see a guy raking and immediately say "well, if he's strong enough to hit it hard, he's obviously too slow to play the position."

Besides, if you're scouting the kid, do you really want to go public with the idea that he's a true SS prospect that can rake? He'd shoot up the draft boards even higher, robbing a lot of teams (many of whom employ the very scouts we're talking about) from having an opportunity to take him.

dougdirt
05-29-2008, 12:48 AM
Do pretty much all of us agree that Matusz would be the best pick? I am really, really hoping for him, but that would mean most likely the 6 guys taken before us are field players and we would take the first pitcher.

Not me. I would honestly go Beckham/Avarez/Beckham before anyone else in the draft.

Mario-Rijo
05-29-2008, 01:58 AM

I'm torn but I would probably go with Matusz over G. Beckham, ya simply cannot have enough good pitching and you cannot get this kind of pitching w/o drafting it or paying huge sums of talent/money for it. I mean if we had Beckham in our system already and someone offered us Matusz straight up you'd have to do the deal, unless perhaps Beckham was Jose Reyes-esque right? We are all really spoiled in Cincy with past SS's and so it's difficult to pass on such a good one but pitching is just too premium.

So my picks in order of preference would be.

T. Beckham
Matusz
G. Beckham
Alvarez
Posey
Smoak
Crow (Would be much higher if not for concerns about possible eventual arm problems)
Hosmer

Kc61
05-29-2008, 11:15 AM
Just from my reading, watching some videos, and without great study, I think this high school first baseman Eric Hosmer is the one to take. He apparently can pitch at 98 mph and has huge power and a great bat for a high school player. But he is a Boras guy and it's unlikely the Reds will take him. He's also another lefty power bat, not the key area of need.

But just my two cents, I think he would be a great value for the Reds at 7.

KoryMac5
05-29-2008, 11:21 AM
I would never take a H.S. player represented by Boras. He always gets leverage by having his H.S. players sign on with colleges.

JaxRed
05-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Not that it adds anything to the discussion of which one to take, but I'm planning to take the day off and attend the draft. Right down the road in Orlando.

lollipopcurve
05-29-2008, 11:32 AM
Not that it adds anything to the discussion of which one to take, but I'm planning to take the day off and attend the draft. Right down the road in Orlando.

Have fun! And fill us in if you get a chance......

lollipopcurve
05-29-2008, 11:44 AM
I don't like Wallace's power profile, he's going to lose a lot of juice with a wood bat.

I disagree. He's got real good bat speed and a short stroke. He also appears to hit it all over.

I don't recommend scouting based on body types, the kid is built like a 55-year-old house frau. No way do you take him in front of Smoak or Alonso.

House frau...nice. You're right, but he's more athletic than he looks. As for the comparison to Smoak and Alonso, I think the fact that Wallace is generally ranked lower may be attributable to his "body type." And looks can be deceiving. As I noted in an earlier post on this subject, Wallace clearly outperformed Smoak on Team USA last summer. It's an apt comparison -- same conditions, facing the same pitchers. My sense is that Smoak benefits by being a switch hitter (as he should) and Wallace gets dinged for not have the same raw power as either guy. I can't believe that if Wallace falls to #12 Oakland won't snag him. Only a week to go......

M2
05-29-2008, 11:53 AM
I disagree. He's got real good bat speed and a short stroke. He also appears to hit it all over.

Yeah, it's a Sean Casey stroke.

lollipopcurve
05-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Yeah, it's a Sean Casey stroke.

Maybe. I haven't seen enough to say you're wrong. But I'm guessing he's got more lift when he wants it.

OnBaseMachine
05-29-2008, 12:09 PM
The draft needs to hurry up and get here. This is a year where I wish the Reds had a couple first round picks so they could grab one of the top college players at No. 7 and then a big high school bat later in the round like Zach Collier from California. I still say the Reds should look no further than one of Buster Posey, Tim Beckham, Gordon Beckham, Brian Matusz, Aaron Crow, Pedro Alvarez, or Justin Smoak. Draft one of those seven guys and I'll be pretty darn excited. After the No. 7 pick the Reds don't draft again until pick number 83. Right now Baseball America has Lance Lynn, a big 6'5" 250 RHPer from Ole Miss rated as the 83rd best player. I'd be more than happy with him considering MLB.com has the Red Sox taking him No. 30 overall. Toolsy HS outfielder Jay Austin from North Atlanta also wouldn't be a bad pick. Hey, it worked out well the last time the Reds drafted a HS outfielder named Jay who also had a first name as a last name.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-29-2008, 02:10 PM
I want the college bat. Smoak, please.

Lockdwn11
05-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Give me....
T. Beckham
G. Beckham
Matusz

In that order

OnBaseMachine
05-30-2008, 05:18 PM
Keith Law has a mock draft up on ESPN but it's premium stuff. Anyone with a subscription..feel free to pass along who he has the Reds drafting. ;)

fearofpopvol1
05-30-2008, 05:25 PM
Keith Law has a mock draft up on ESPN but it's premium stuff. Anyone with a subscription..feel free to pass along who he has the Reds drafting. ;)

I'm pretty sure RZ'ers could make better picks than Law does/would.

OnBaseMachine
05-30-2008, 05:27 PM
I'm pretty sure RZ'ers could make better picks than Law does/would.

I can't stand Keith Law but I'm curious to see if he's predicting what everyone else is.

Mario-Rijo
05-30-2008, 07:43 PM
I can't stand Keith Law but I'm curious to see if he's predicting what everyone else is.

I gotcha buddy!

Posey projected to go No. 1 to Rays
By Keith Law
Scouts Inc.
(Archive)
Updated: May 30, 2008, 3:30 PM ET

Making a first-round projection is like slamming your head into an omelette -- there's no way to do it without ending up with egg on your face. So, with a towel handy, here's my stab at the first 30 picks of next week's Rule 4 draft, accompanied by notes on other directions each team might take:

1. Tampa Bay -- Buster Posey, C, Florida State

The Rays are down to Posey and Tim Beckham, equally strong choices. Posey probably will cost them more but reach the majors faster, while Beckham is the better long-term prospect.

2. Pittsburgh -- Pedro Alvarez, 3B, Vanderbilt

The Pirates' decision also is down to Posey and Beckham, plus Alvarez, whom team president Frank Coonelly is said to covet in order to send a message to fans that the decision to pass on Matt Wieters last year won't be repeated. However, Alvarez scuffled in front of the Pirates' key decision-makers at the SEC tournament, and they might be waffling on their earlier commitment to him.

3. Kansas City -- Eric Hosmer, 1B, American Heritage H.S. (Plantation, Fla.)

The Royals had sworn off Scott Boras clients after a tough negotiation with Mike Moustakas last summer, but they apparently have decided to have just one more for the road after seeing Hosmer's tremendous upside as a hitter. (They can quit any time.) Brian Matusz also is a consideration here.

4. Baltimore -- Tim Beckham, SS, Griffin (Ga.) H.S.

The Orioles have been on Justin Smoak, Beckham and Matusz this spring and probably would be delighted if Beckham, the draft's top talent, fell to them.

5. San Francisco -- Justin Smoak, 1B, South Carolina

The Giants are said to be "obsessed" with Smoak, but they would take Tim Beckham if he fell here and would look at Brett Wallace or Gordon Beckham if the board blew up -- for example, if the top four picks went Posey-Tim Beckham-Hosmer-Smoak or Beckham-Posey-Hosmer-Smoak.

6. Florida -- Yonder Alonso, 1B, Miami

Florida likes Hosmer, with Alonso as a solid second choice. Ownership will have to sign off on a big over-slot deal to get Alonso in the fold. Alternatives include Kyle Skipworth.

7. Cincinnati -- Aaron Crow, RHP, Missouri

The Reds have been linked to Casey Kelly because his father coaches in their organization and is friends with their scouting director, but they are more likely to go for college pitching, especially if Crow and/or Matusz falls here, which would have to feel like Christmas in June.

8. Chicago White Sox -- Gordon Beckham, SS, Georgia

The White Sox's choices seem to be limited to Beckham and Wallace, although one of the college arms could be a sleeper pick here.

9. Washington -- Kyle Skipworth, C, Patriot H.S. (Riverside, Calif.)

Skipworth could have cemented this spot with a better performance when the entire Washington organization flew to California to watch him play last month, but he still is in its final two with Zach Collier (assuming Alonso is gone).

10. Houston -- Brian Matusz, LHP, San Diego

It's not far fetched to assume that either Matusz or Crow will fall to Houston, and Christian Friedrich and Shooter Hunt certainly will be here as well. Word is the Astros strongly prefer to take a pitcher over a position player. Crazy rumor of the day had them considering Daniel Schlereth.

11. Texas -- Christian Friedrich, LHP, Eastern Kentucky

Reports have Nolan Ryan going to see TCU closer Andrew Cashner recently, but I hope he realizes the folly of taking a college reliever this high with quality starters left on the board. Ethan Martin's first landing spots are here and perhaps Houston.

12. Oakland -- Brett Wallace, 3B/1B, Arizona State

Possibly the best hitter in the draft, Wallace's unusual body type has him low on most of the boards ahead of 12. Oakland also has been linked to David Cooper and, of course, any college player with "good stats."

13. St. Louis -- Shooter Hunt, RHP, Tulane

Local sentiment in St. Louis is for Wentzville, Mo., product Tim Melville, who was a solid top-10 pick coming into the year but had a somewhat disappointing spring. The Cardinals didn't take a high school pitcher before the seventh round in either of the past two drafts. With the big league team off to a good start, they could be in the market for a college reliever like Cashner, but unlike some of Cashner's and Schlereth's other suitors, they have internal options to fill out their 'pen.

14. Minnesota -- Aaron Hicks, RHP/RF, Wilson H.S. (Long Beach, Calif.)

The Twins (and Cardinals) have been linked to Friedrich, but he seems less likely to fall here than he did a month ago. Minnesota has cast a wide net, looking hard at Martin and Zach Collier, but Hicks' emergence as a potential No. 1 starter and/or middle-of-the-order bat has run him back up most draft boards.

15. Los Angeles -- Andrew Cashner, RHP, TCU

If the Twins take Collier, the Dodgers could turn right around and take Hicks, and there's still a chance they could take Collier if he is available. I was as surprised as anyone to hear the Dodgers were looking at college relievers, but Cashner and Schlereth apparently are in play, perhaps a reflection of the shortage of polished, high-ceiling high school players in this draft. They are rumored to be in on Martin, but he is more crude than the players assistant GM Logan White and scouting director Tim Hallgren typically take in the first round.

16. Milwaukee -- Ethan Martin, RHP, Stephens County H.S. (Toccoa, Ga.)

The Brewers have been hot and heavy on Connecticut prep shortstop Anthony Hewitt, but with four extra picks this year, including the second sandwich pick, they could play the board a little and try to nab Hewitt at No. 32. The Brewers do need some big league relief help and could look to Cashner, Schlereth or even Josh Fields, a senior and Boras advisee just like the Brewers' first-round pick last year, Matt LaPorta.

17. Toronto -- David Cooper, 1B, California

The Blue Jays would love to get Alonso, but there's little chance of that happening, and the top college starters are likely to be off the board as well. Expect a lot of local pressure for them to take Canadian hitter Brett Lawrie, who has had a hot spring but lacks a position. They won't take a prep arm, and they are much more likely to take a college player than a high school player because the high school hitters this year are raw.

18. New York Mets -- Jason Castro, C, Stanford

Interesting rumor of the week had a few top Mets people in to see Georgia at Vanderbilt before the SEC tournament, then spending the whole day up the third-base line, where you would stand to scout left-handed hitters … like Alvarez. The Mets covet Castro but probably could play the board here and try to grab him at No. 22 instead.

19. Chicago Cubs -- Casey Kelly, SS/RHP, Sarasota (Fla.) H.S.

The Cubs' scouting director, Tim Wilken, always has favored multi-sport stars, and Kelly is committed to Tennessee to play quarterback. He also knows Kelly's dad from their time together in Toronto. But more importantly, Kelly is a top-20 talent, maybe top-15, and offers more upside than anyone left on the board. The Cubs also have been tied to pitcher/wideout Jake Odorizzi and Melville.

20. Seattle -- Daniel Schlereth, LHP, Arizona

Everyone is assuming the M's will take a college reliever and shoot him to the big leagues to help their beleaguered bullpen. Cashner, Schlereth, Fields and perhaps Aaron Weatherford would fit here, as well as Arizona's Ryan Perry, who was great on the Cape last summer but has had an up-and-down spring. Scouting director Bob Fontaine has long shown a preference for size, which could hurt Schlereth (he's short) but also could help him (he's built like a football player, oddly enough).

21. Detroit -- Josh Fields, RHP, Georgia

This is the first potential landing spot for Gerrit Cole, a Boras advisee and probably the best pure arm in the high school crop this year, but Detroit also is looking for bullpen help, and Fields has now stuff, is a year or two older than the other relievers in the class and is a Boras advisee as well.

22. New York Mets -- Brett Lawrie, C/2B, Brookswood SS (Canada)

The Mets are looking for position-player depth, and Lawrie would be one of the better bats in their system, although his lack of a position is a long-term concern. He's not a catcher, so taking him behind Castro wouldn't be an issue -- Lawrie could at least return to second base to see whether he could handle that position with pro instruction.

23. San Diego -- Lance Lynn, RHP, Mississippi

The Padres nearly always go college in the first round, and while they have said they would like to take a position player, the best one available in this scenario would be Wichita State's Conor Gillaspie, yet another third baseman to get in line behind Kevin Kouzmanoff and Chase Headley. Lynn fits their profile for college pitching -- major conference, good performances, plus control and two quality pitches. He threw well in front of half of the Padres' organization in the SEC tournament.

24. Philadelphia -- Zach Collier, OF, Chino Hills (Calif.) H.S.

The Phillies also have been linked to various college relievers, including Cashner, Schlereth and Weatherford, and they also are heavy on two Northeast products, Hewitt and Jason Knapp, with Knapp likely to be their pick in the sandwich round.

25. Colorado -- Jake Odorizzi, RHP, Highland (Ill.) H.S.

The Rockies have been heavy on Odorizzi the past few weeks as his game has continued to improve. They also are a possible landing spot for Collier.

26. Arizona -- Tim Melville, RHP, Holt H.S. (Wentzville, Mo.)

This would be found money for Arizona, although it's more of a fill-in-the-blanks pick, as I haven't heard the D-backs specifically linked to Melville, who was expected to go higher than this. Melville's velocity has been better in May, albeit not every time out, and the softness in his curveball might be just the result of a delivery tweak that the team that signs him can untweak.

27. Minnesota -- Anthony Hewitt, SS, Salisbury (Conn.) School

The Twins love Collier, but it's unlikely he'll get past all the teams between the Twins' picks if they don't take him at No. 14. The fear that the Twins would take Hewitt here -- or that the Phils or Mets would earlier -- could drive the Brewers to overdraft him at No. 16.

28. New York Yankees -- Gerrit Cole, RHP, Lutheran H.S. (Orange, Calif.)

Cole is a top-half-of-the-round talent, but his bonus demands are expected to be large, and whispers about his makeup started when he signed with Boras. The Yankees aren't afraid of any of those things.

29. Cleveland -- Ike Davis, 1B, Arizona State

Cleveland is in an unfortunate spot, picking near the end of the round where the best players left on the board will be signability guys, sandwiched between two teams that don't mind making it rain. The Indians are unlikely to go with a high school pick here, given the lack of polish among the available options.

30. Boston -- Reese Havens, SS, South Carolina

The Red Sox would love to see Castro get here, but the Mets won't pass on him twice. The Red Sox have been tied to every tough-sign guy in the draft, but they can just as easily grab a few of those later in the draft, even on the first day, while locking in more of a sure thing with Havens at 30.

For what it's worth, the best players on my rankings who aren't projected to go in the above 30 picks are Conor Gillaspie, Robbie Ross, Jemile Weeks and Aaron Weatherford.

OnBaseMachine
05-30-2008, 07:50 PM
Thanks man.

NC Reds
05-30-2008, 07:51 PM
Matusz or Crow would make me very happy.

OnBaseMachine
05-30-2008, 07:53 PM
wrong thread

fearofpopvol1
05-31-2008, 01:47 AM
Matsuz #10?? That seems hard to believe. I really do hope that if it comes down to Matsuz and Crow that the reds go with the former as opposed to the latter.

NC Reds
05-31-2008, 09:50 AM
Matusz shut out Cal last night. I would wet myself if the Reds got him at #7.

Mario-Rijo
05-31-2008, 04:32 PM
Matusz shut out Cal last night. I would wet myself if the Reds got him at #7.

Agreed, if he's there and Tim Beckham is not I will be a bit disappointed if he's not a Red. Although I can live with any of the consensus top 8 or so talents. The more I sit and think about it the more I doubt he will be there. My gut says we end up with a 1st basemen and 2 of the 3 are too close to be anything more than insurance/trade bait. Unless of course Dunn isn't going to be around and Votto eventually ends up in LF to make room for perhaps Justin Smoak (please not Alonso at that pick).

cincyinco
05-31-2008, 05:35 PM
Why is everyone so down on Alonso? I love the kids swing. I think its one of the better swings in the draft.

Mario-Rijo
05-31-2008, 06:00 PM
Why is everyone so down on Alonso? I love the kids swing. I think its one of the better swings in the draft.

True and his plate discipline is very good as well. But something about him just screams bust too me, probably has to do with his Incaviglia-esque physique. And if I am going to pick a guy that high he will have as few flaws possible.

Blitz Dorsey
06-01-2008, 07:23 PM
I hope the pick is either Matusz or Crow. We already have our 1B of the future (and he's not much older than these current college 1Bs coming out of the draft) and we still need pitching. Unless they love one of the hitters and he is clearly the best player on the board, take one of the college pitchers!

OnBaseMachine
06-02-2008, 01:08 PM
How the Crow Flies...

or...What's love got to Matusz with it?

This one comes from Dennis in West Springfield:

Since this is most likely the last start for each pitcher before the draft, I'm curious as to which dominant CGSHO performance today would impress you more. I know you probably didn't see either in person, but:

Missouri IP H R ER BB SO AB BF NP
--------------------------------------------------
Crow, Aaron......... 9.0 3 0 0 5 10 29 35 122

or

San Diego IP H R ER BB SO AB BF
-----------------------------------------------
Matusz, Brian....... 9.0 3 0 0 1 10 29 32

Crow was facing Ole Miss (37-25) while Matusz got California (33-20-2)

I know that Crow was on the slide lately (but still in the top 10), but I'm wondering if this might get him reconsidered a little higher (maybe KC or Baltimore)

Thanks,
Dennis

p.s. -- I couldn't think of an appropriate Schoolhouse Rock title for the email so I went with the old Rocky and Bullwinkle double-barrelled alternative.

Dennis -- First off, appreciate the effort with the title. Secondly, your comparison does bring up something interesting. Just how much can one last performance in a regional help or hurt someone? I don't know that there's a hard and fast answer to that. With Matusz, I don't think it matters either way -- he's going to go where he's going to go. That CG SHO isn't suddenly going to make him the No. 1 pick.

For Crow, it might be interesting. I'd been hearing he was sliding, but perhaps not so much because of performance (though he had a mini-slump earlier). Word is he (well, his advisor) has been floating that they want a Major League contract and that's why he's dropped a few slots. Truth be told, though, I don't see him dropping too far because of that and his regional start against Ole Miss (and Lance Lynn) certainly won't hurt as teams in the top 10 (Cincy?) are considering him. That being said, I don't see any teams higher than that taking him.

Some other interesting performances from possible top picks over the weekend of Regional play:

Buster Posey, FSU: 8-for-15, 5 HR, 12 RBI in four games (with one to play vs. Tulane tonight)

Justin Smoak, S. Carolina: 7-for-15, 2 HR, 6 RBI (USC season is over)

Yonder Alonso, Miami: 2-for-10, 4 BB as Miami advances

Gordon Beckham, Georgia: 8-for-18, 1 HR, 6 RBI (one to play vs. Ga. Tech)

More later...

http://draft.mlblogs.com/

15fan
06-02-2008, 02:44 PM
I think it's worth mentioning that after drafting #7, the Reds don't pick again until #84 and #119.

Thus, #7 for the Reds this year comes with a little more pressure to get it right than a top 10 pick in any other year.

#7 has to pan out. Period.

Hondo
06-02-2008, 03:00 PM
I think it's worth mentioning that after drafting #7, the Reds don't pick again until #84 and #119.

Thus, #7 for the Reds this year comes with a little more pressure to get it right than a top 10 pick in any other year.

#7 has to pan out. Period.

Chad Mottola

Ty Howington

Johnny Oliver

Gosh I hope you are correct sir...

medford
06-02-2008, 03:10 PM
I don't believe there is any more pressure to get the 1st pick "right" this year, than there is any other year. The MLB draft is the biggest crap shoot of all the drafts amongst the major sports. w/ 64 rounds, there will undoubtfully be great players taken beyond round 10, and half of the 1st round picks won't amount to much in the majors, if they ever make that far.

Right now, I'd take a Chris Gruler in round 1, if I was garunteed to get a Joey Votto in round 3, and not even think twice about missing a 2nd round pick. If every draft could produce a Joey Votto type talent, plus an additionally major league filler talent or 2, I think a lot of GMs would be happy. Instead many drafts end up producing a couple of fillet type talent and no talent w/ a real shot at multiple all star appearances.

RedlegJake
06-02-2008, 05:02 PM
I don't believe there is any more pressure to get the 1st pick "right" this year, than there is any other year. The MLB draft is the biggest crap shoot of all the drafts amongst the major sports. w/ 64 rounds, there will undoubtfully be great players taken beyond round 10, and half of the 1st round picks won't amount to much in the majors, if they ever make that far.

Right now, I'd take a Chris Gruler in round 1, if I was garunteed to get a Joey Votto in round 3, and not even think twice about missing a 2nd round pick. If every draft could produce a Joey Votto type talent, plus an additionally major league filler talent or 2, I think a lot of GMs would be happy. Instead many drafts end up producing a couple of fillet type talent and no talent w/ a real shot at multiple all star appearances.

While I see some pressure for a "right" #1, I agree with medford that a quality deep draft is more important. Coming up with solid players and signing them in the first 15 rounds and maybe picking up a gem or two even later is more important long term than what happens at #1. Let's just say for instance that you get Brian Matusz and he ends up being an ace but not another player from the year makes an impact. To me that's a lousy draft. If #1 misses however, and #3, #8, #11, #12, and #15 all become big league players that's a much better draft. What everyone wants and what I hope for is acombination of both. I'm greedy.

Mario-Rijo
06-02-2008, 05:13 PM
While I see some pressure for a "right" #1, I agree with medford that a quality deep draft is more important. Coming up with solid players and signing them in the first 15 rounds and maybe picking up a gem or two even later is more important long term than what happens at #1. Let's just say for instance that you get Brian Matusz and he ends up being an ace but not another player from the year makes an impact. To me that's a lousy draft. If #1 misses however, and #3, #8, #11, #12, and #15 all become big league players that's a much better draft. What everyone wants and what I hope for is acombination of both. I'm greedy.

:thumbup: Absolutely concur!

HBP
06-02-2008, 07:25 PM
You have to think that Crow and Gordon Beckham are their realistic top targets. Both would hopefully speed through the system.

OnBaseMachine
06-03-2008, 10:53 AM
Only two more days until the draft! I don't know about you guys but I can hardly wait.

BRM
06-03-2008, 10:59 AM
Keith Law now saying the Reds are considering Brett Lawrie.

OnBaseMachine
06-03-2008, 11:08 AM

Seriously? Or you just messin' with me?;)

BRM
06-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Seriously? Or you just messin' with me?;)

Seriously.

Grande Donkey
06-03-2008, 11:13 AM
What kind of scouting report does Lawrie have? Is he another late riser a la Bruce and Mes?

Az. Reds Fan
06-03-2008, 11:36 AM
This is the write up they have on Lawrie over on MLB-Draft.com site...

29 . Brett Lawrie, HS 3B/1B/LF, 6' -200, (Canada) -- The kid can flat out rake. Lawrie should hit as a pro, and very well at that, but his lack of a suitable position is a concern. LF or 1B may be his best bet, although some have suggested catcher... I don't see it. Regardless, his bat is his calling card, while employing above average speed to boot. Has already displayed his prowess by going 21-30 against pros from extended spring training, including doubles off of Luke Hochevar and Kyle Davies, as well as tagging 8 HR's in 5 games vs ML Dominican Summer squads. Lawrie is sky-rocketing up boards.

Pretty impressive

And at BA...

16. Brett Lawrie 3b/c Brookwood SS, Langley, B.C. NR 37
Lawrie's legend continues to grow as he tours with Canada's junior national team; he hit five home runs in a doubleheader against the Mariners' extended-spring team in the Dominican Republic, going foul pole to foul pole in a demonstration of one of the prep ranks' most pro-ready bats.

M2
06-03-2008, 11:37 AM

I like Lawrie, but as a later 1st round selection. My take remains the Reds are trying to create helium for second tier first rounders in the hopes it will bump the first tier guys in whom they're more interested.

dougdirt
06-03-2008, 12:41 PM
I like Lawrie, but as a later 1st round selection. My take remains the Reds are trying to create helium for second tier first rounders in the hopes it will bump the first tier guys in whom they're more interested.

I really hope you are right.

fearofpopvol1
06-03-2008, 12:45 PM
The more I'm think about it, I really hope the Reds get Matsuz. I've said it before, but the Reds really need a lefty in their rotation sometime soon (not named Maloney). I wouldn't be too upset if Gordon Beckham was the choice either. I just would prefer Matsuz.

11larkin11
06-03-2008, 01:27 PM
The more I'm think about it, I really hope the Reds get Matsuz. I've said it before, but the Reds really need a lefty in their rotation sometime soon (not named Maloney). I wouldn't be too upset if Gordon Beckham was the choice either. I just would prefer Matsuz.

My thoughts exactly.

OnBaseMachine
06-03-2008, 01:33 PM
I will do cartwheels and jumping jacks in the nude if the Reds draft Brian Matusz. Matusz is a big lefty with four above average pitches who profiles as a No. 2 starter and should be ready to contribute in the majors by the 2010 season. Adding a guy like Brian Matusz to the equation would really push the Reds over the top IMO. Imagine a 2010 rotation of Edinson Volquez, Aaron Harang, Brian Matusz, Johnny Cueto, and either Daryl Thompson or Homer Bailey.

lollipopcurve
06-03-2008, 01:37 PM

Reds hired a very experienced Canadian scout last year. Then they drafted Lotzkar and some other Canadians. I think they mean to do some business up there, so this is not a total surprise. Lawrie has been getting great press.

HokieRed
06-03-2008, 01:46 PM
Any chance Hosmer could fall to us?

OnBaseMachine
06-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Give me Justin Smoak or Yonder Alonso over Eric Hosmer.

M2
06-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Reds hired a very experienced Canadian scout last year. Then they drafted Lotzkar and some other Canadians. I think they mean to do some business up there, so this is not a total surprise. Lawrie has been getting great press.

I'm sure if the Reds were picking #15 again he'd be right near the top of the team's list. Yet I sincerely doubt the team's giving him any real consideration at #7. The Reds are inside the sweet spot of this draft and there's no real reason to dip into the next tier.

I'd expect to see the Reds in on some Canadian kids later in the draft rather than on Lawrie. We can only hope they pick RHP Stosh Wawrzasek. With a name like that who cares what he's like on the mound.

lollipopcurve
06-03-2008, 02:14 PM
I'm sure if the Reds were picking #15 again he'd be right near the top of the team's list. Yet I sincerely doubt the team's giving him any real consideration at #7. The Reds are inside the sweet spot of this draft and there's no real reason to dip into the next tier.

I dunno. This kid's making jaws drop right now, and I could see Buckley taking a liking to him.

We can only hope they pick RHP Stosh Wawrzasek. With a name like that who cares what he's like on the mound.

Draft the catcher Fedorowicz from UNC and make em battery comrades.

dougdirt
06-03-2008, 02:39 PM
I will do cartwheels and jumping jacks in the nude if the Reds draft Brian Matusz.

For our sake, do it alone and in a pitch black room if he falls to us.

camisadelgolf
06-03-2008, 02:52 PM
For our sake, do it alone and in a pitch black room if he falls to us.

I don't care where he does it so long as he records it.

M2
06-03-2008, 03:18 PM
This kid's making jaws drop right now, and I could see Buckley taking a liking to him.

I don't know that he's making jaws drop so much as he's rushing past some of the dubious talents nominally set to be picked in the latter portion of the first round. There's a lot of toolsy OFs who can't hit, college pitchers who aren't performing so great, HS arms with B stuff and funky motions, and college players who lack tools. Lawrie has tools and a quality stick (even a somewhat mature plate approach supposedly). That'll rocket you past the ifs and maybes. Yet I sincerely doubt he's going to get in front of the big hitting 1Bs or the top two catchers or a Beckham or the top two pitchers or Alvarez.

Basically, he's become an exciting possibility for teams that aren't in a position to draft the most exciting talents on the board.