PDA

View Full Version : A New (unannounced) Public Relations Push?

RedsManRick
05-28-2008, 10:12 PM
This was touched on in another thread, but the Chris Welsh little league stuff tonight really reinforces it for me. The Reds as an organization are making a concerted effort to make good with the public. They've made the push coincide with Bruce's promotion, but I've noticed the announcers are much more positive, talking up Ross's bat, Votto's work ethic, Harang's leadership, etc.

I think this may be Jocketty's largest immediate impact, perhaps a side of the coin us fans don't often consider. It already feels like a different organization. Maybe it's the high of back to back wins talking, but it sure seems like a noticeable change in tone.

Am I crazy, reading way too much in to the normal ups and downs, or do other people see this too?

oregonred
05-28-2008, 10:25 PM
It's about 30 years overdue... This franchise essentially has given the one finger salute to its fanbase from ownership down since the late 70's.

KittyDuran
05-28-2008, 11:12 PM
This was touched on in another thread, but the Chris Welsh little league stuff tonight really reinforces it for me. The Reds as an organization are making a concerted effort to make good with the public. They've made the push coincide with Bruce's promotion, but I've noticed the announcers are much more positive, talking up Ross's bat, Votto's work ethic, Harang's leadership, etc.

I think this may be Jocketty's largest immediate impact, perhaps a side of the coin us fans don't often consider. It already feels like a different organization. Maybe it's the high of back to back wins talking, but it sure seems like a noticeable change in tone.

Am I crazy, reading way too much in to the normal ups and downs, or do other people see this too?Hmmm... you might be reading too much concerning Welsh and the young ballplayers. The Reds have been involved with the area Knothole League for years. IIRC, all the money made from the tickets sold by the kids for the games (usually 3 games) stays with the League. They use it to pay for ball, bats, etc.

RedlegJake
05-28-2008, 11:39 PM
Well, if Jocketty and Castellini really want to be serious about PR, the first they might do would be to go to Washington for permission to talk to Barry Larkin about coming back to the Reds in some position.

REDREAD
05-29-2008, 03:21 PM

I noticed that too. The Brennamans have been much more pleasant to listen to the last 2 weeks. A lot less bile than normal.

I was wondering if that guy from Loiusville was called up to kind of send a message. Also, it seems like they are seperating Marty and Brantley, which is good because Marty whines the worse with Brantley egging him on.

Chip R
05-29-2008, 03:51 PM
II was wondering if that guy from Loiusville was called up to kind of send a message. Also, it seems like they are seperating Marty and Brantley, which is good because Marty whines the worse with Brantley egging him on.

Of course it seems that Thom gets more like Marty when he's doing games with him rather than when he's doing TV. Brantley's easier to take when he's not trying to be mini-Marty.

Unassisted
05-29-2008, 03:52 PM
If this is the case, then why are the 2008 Reds giving viewers less of George Grande on TV than in years past? If ever there was an announcer who could point out a silver lining in events on the field, it's George.

I don't disagree that game broadcasts are more positive, but I suspect you might be mistaking one effect for the reason that changes are being made in the on-air presentation.

westofyou
05-29-2008, 03:55 PM
Hmmm... you might be reading too much concerning Welsh and the young ballplayers. The Reds have been involved with the area Knothole League for years. IIRC, all the money made from the tickets sold by the kids for the games (usually 3 games) stays with the League. They use it to pay for ball, bats, etc.

Yep, Crosley did it, DeWitt did it, Howsam and then Marge and then Lindner.

If anything has been consistent in the franchises history aside from wearing red it's been the teams commitment to local youth league baseball.

RedsManRick
05-29-2008, 04:32 PM
I don't doubt the historical precedent of youth involvement. I just don't remember a 5 minute in the stands segment on it during the game followed by another 5 minutes in the booth.

There seems to be a voiced optimism, friendliness, and general pleasantness (for lack of a better word) that wasn't present even a week ago. Or it could just be that I haven't seen/heard much of Marty recently...

Chip R
05-29-2008, 04:34 PM
I don't doubt the historical precedent of youth involvement. I just don't remember a 5 minute in the stands segment on it during the game followed by another 5 minutes in the booth.

It was a blowout. I'm guessing if it were a 2-1 game, there wouldn't be much, if any, time devoted to that.

dabvu2498
05-29-2008, 04:36 PM

The Kid Glove Games used to be an entirely seperate event -- a home and home series of exhibition games with the Tigers.

That's right... exhibition games in the middle of the season. :eek:

The proceeds of which went entirely to youth baseball in the area. And they used to get pretty big crowds for it.

westofyou
05-29-2008, 04:54 PM
The Kid Glove Games used to be an entirely seperate event -- a home and home series of exhibition games with the Tigers.

That's right... exhibition games in the middle of the season. :eek:

The proceeds of which went entirely to youth baseball in the area. And they used to get pretty big crowds for it.

My first Reds game was a Kid Glove game.

RedsManRick
05-29-2008, 05:00 PM
That's interesting history. I wonder how much of that plays in to things, both within organizations and certain individuals -- an assumption that you are perceived the way you once were based on the way you once operated.

But the Kid Glove stuff was really just a part of it, the tone of teh broadcasts has been noticeably more upbeat.

Blitz Dorsey
05-29-2008, 05:13 PM
When Dunn is playing well, there is little to moan about... especially when none of the announcers have the onions to call out the real deadweight on the team... Ken Griffey Jr.

REDREAD
05-29-2008, 08:07 PM
When Dunn is playing well, there is little to moan about... especially when none of the announcers have the onions to call out the real deadweight on the team... Ken Griffey Jr.

Jr gets called out plenty by the radio crew. Not as often as Dunn, but he gets called out.

Someone else made a good point though.. The Reds have been winning a lot recently (other than LA).. the "new attitude" in the radio may only be a product of the recent winning streak.

Chip R
05-29-2008, 08:11 PM
Jr gets called out plenty by the radio crew. Not as often as Dunn, but he gets called out.

Someone else made a good point though.. The Reds have been winning a lot recently (other than LA).. the "new attitude" in the radio may only be a product of the recent winning streak.

Winning makes everything better. It makes Dusty a better manager, it makes the announcers better, the beer is colder and it's a bargain, the hot dogs taste better and the sun shines brighter. Your seat at the game's better and the ticket prices don't seem as expensive.

REDREAD
05-30-2008, 12:40 AM
Winning makes everything better. It makes Dusty a better manager, it makes the announcers better, the beer is colder and it's a bargain, the hot dogs taste better and the sun shines brighter. Your seat at the game's better and the ticket prices don't seem as expensive.

Yeah, Marty was a little bit crankier tonight (The Harang-Duramit game) Still better behaved than normal though.