PDA

View Full Version : What will happen in the coming weeks?

fearofpopvol1
05-29-2008, 03:48 AM
Things are going to get pretty interesting here soon. Keppinger has already started light rehabbing and while it's still probably a month before he would be back, it will happen eventually. Norris Hopper is due back pretty soon.

Merker is pretty close to being ready again from his rehab assignment. Majewski has been pitching very well in AAA as of late. He shouldn't go near the Reds 25 man roster again, but I think he'll still be considered. Matt Maloney has pitched very well in AAA this season. His ERA is a bit inflated, but it's due to a couple of starts where he got rocked. He's been great ever since. He's only given up 1 HR in over 60 innings of work and is K'ing almost 1 batter an inning (and he's a lefty no less). Thompson has pitched great in AA and he just had a great 1st start in AAA this last evening. Homer has had his ups and downs this season, but he has made progress with his secondary pitches all season long and was very good in his most recent start. Belisle has obviously struggled mightily and is a prime candidate to be replaced. Cueto has been inconsistent, but it seems unlikely anything will happen to him.

Looking at numbers, Danny Herrera has been the best reliever in the high minors for the Reds this year (also a leftie). The Reds pen outside of Cordero has been pretty unstable. I would think Burton and Affeldt (both of which have been pretty good outside of an outing or two) are safe. Weathers is probably safe too. Fogg could be safe for depth purposes. Lincoln and Bray though are probably on the hot seat.

So, what do you think is going to happen over the coming weeks? And what would you do if you were Walt (if anything)? Obviously, the players coming off the DL have to be dealt with one way or another.

If it were me, I would bring Hopper up in place of Javy. I know Javy is a decent pinch hitter, but at least Hopper has speed and can play defense. I think as a PH, he could be useful. I see less upside in Javy. Once Keppinger comes back, I would send Hairston back down to AAA.

For the starting pitching, I would probably give Belisle 1 more start. If he falters, I would give Maloney a start and see what happens.

As for the reliever situation, I would guess Merker is going to replace Bray. I'm okay with that, but I'd prefer to see Danny Herrera over both of them. I'd like to see Lincoln jettisoned, but I'm not sure there is an ample replacement. You can't run out all LHP. I'm sure some will say Roenicke, but I don't see him jumping AAA completely and I'm not sure that's a good idea anyway. I'd like to see him refine his control more. I'd be interested in trying Belisle out in the pen over Lincoln as well should it come to that. I think he could be effective there. It's doubtful he'd be worse than Lincoln.

Will M
05-29-2008, 03:56 AM
Things are going to get pretty interesting here soon. Keppinger has already started light rehabbing and while it's still probably a month before he would be back, it will happen eventually. Norris Hopper is due back pretty soon.

Merker is pretty close to being ready again from his rehab assignment. Majewski has been pitching very well in AAA as of late. He shouldn't go near the Reds 25 man roster again, but I think he'll still be considered. Matt Maloney has pitched very well in AAA this season. His ERA is a bit inflated, but it's due to a couple of starts where he got rocked. He's been great ever since. He's only given up 1 HR in over 60 innings of work and is K'ing almost 1 batter an inning (and he's a lefty no less). Thompson has pitched great in AA and he just had a great 1st start in AAA this last evening. Homer has had his ups and downs this season, but he has made progress with his secondary pitches all season long and was very good in his most recent start. Belisle has obviously struggled mightily and is a prime candidate to be replaced. Cueto has been inconsistent, but it seems unlikely anything will happen to him.

Looking at numbers, Danny Herrera has been the best reliever in the high minors for the Reds this year (also a leftie). The Reds pen outside of Cordero has been pretty unstable. I would think Burton and Affeldt (both of which have been pretty good outside of an outing or two) are safe. Weathers is probably safe too. Fogg could be safe for depth purposes. Lincoln and Bray though are probably on the hot seat.

So, what do you think is going to happen over the coming weeks? And what would you do if you were Walt (if anything)? Obviously, the players coming off the DL have to be dealt with one way or another.

If it were me, I would bring Hopper up in place of Javy. I know Javy is a decent pinch hitter, but at least Hopper has speed and can play defense. I think as a PH, he could be useful. I see less upside in Javy. Once Keppinger comes back, I would send Hairston back down to AAA.

For the starting pitching, I would probably give Belisle 1 more start. If he falters, I would give Maloney a start and see what happens.

As for the reliever situation, I would guess Merker is going to replace Bray. I'm okay with that, but I'd prefer to see Danny Herrera over both of them. I'd like to see Lincoln jettisoned, but I'm not sure there is an ample replacement. You can't run out all LHP. I'm sure some will say Roenicke, but I don't see him jumping AAA completely and I'm not sure that's a good idea anyway. I'd like to see him refine his control more. I'd be interested in trying Belisle out in the pen over Lincoln as well should it come to that. I think he could be effective there. It's doubtful he'd be worse than Lincoln.

Hairston to AAA??? Right now he is playing great and is our best leadoff hitter.
Play him in RF and bench Jr.

I like Merker but Bray doesn't need more time at AAA. Time to find out if he can pitch.

I would like to see someone from AAA get a chance to start rather than Belisle.

Majewski - trade him.

Lincoln actually has some stuff. I would prefer keeping him rather than Belisle or Fogg. Remember he is coming back from two major injuries.

Herrara - needs to be here this year, only question is when.

Hopper is a bit of an odd man out after Freel & Hairston.
I for one would like to see Freel moved, especially if Hairston continues to play well and Hopper seems healthy.

Javy has no use on this team ( or likely any other ). I hoped he has saved his money.

fearofpopvol1
05-29-2008, 04:17 AM
Hairston to AAA??? Right now he is playing great and is our best leadoff hitter.
Play him in RF and bench Jr.

I like Merker but Bray doesn't need more time at AAA. Time to find out if he can pitch.

I would like to see someone from AAA get a chance to start rather than Belisle.

Majewski - trade him.

Lincoln actually has some stuff. I would prefer keeping him rather than Belisle or Fogg. Remember he is coming back from two major injuries.

Herrara - needs to be here this year, only question is when.

Hopper is a bit of an odd man out after Freel & Hairston.
I for one would like to see Freel moved, especially if Hairston continues to play well and Hopper seems healthy.

Javy has no use on this team ( or likely any other ). I hoped he has saved his money.

Hairston is playing quite well right now, but don't expect that to sustain. Within a month, his numbers will regress. I'm all about playing him while he's hot, but would you rather have him over Keppinger? I don't see where he plays once Kepp comes back (unless he is on the bench). I'd prefer to keep Hopper on the bench over Hairston, but we can agree to disagree.

As for Bray, I don't like what I've seen. I guess he hasn't been fully healthy for a long period of time, but his BAA is over .300. If he stays, I don't want him pitching in any crucial spots.

As for Lincoln, he is coming off of 2 injurries, but his career numbers are not dazzling by any means. His fastball is decent, but he's not a special reliever. He's prone to giving up bombs.

redsrule2500
05-29-2008, 04:42 AM
Drop Lincoln, not Bray. Maloney up in place of Belisle. Hopper in place of Javy. That is all.

mth123
05-29-2008, 06:57 AM
Drop Lincoln, not Bray. Maloney up in place of Belisle. Hopper in place of Javy. That is all.

With Patterson and Hatte gone, Javy is the only LHPH on the team. Need that more than Hopper. Unless the team is going to play Hairston/Freel/Hopper in the OF and make Griffey LHPH (an idea that I support wholeheartedly), than Javy has to stay.

redsrule2500
05-29-2008, 08:05 AM
With Patterson and Hatte gone, Javy is the only LHPH on the team. Need that more than Hopper. Unless the team is going to play Hairston/Freel/Hopper in the OF and make Griffey LHPH (an idea that I support wholeheartedly), than Javy has to stay.

So, basically Janish at SS and Freel in place of Griffey? I like the idea overall, but it will never happen.

MikeS21
05-29-2008, 09:11 AM
So, basically Janish at SS and Freel in place of Griffey? I like the idea overall, but it will never happen.
Of course it will never happen. As long as Junior can walk out to RF, he will be the starting RF for this season. You are not going to pay a guy $15 million to sit on the bench. The Reds aren't the Yankees or Red Sox. Like it or not, Junior is going to start.

I'd love to see what Janish could do if he got about ten straight starts at SS.

bucksfan2
05-29-2008, 09:45 AM
Hairston to AAA??? I like the way Harriston plays. He said that he was hurt the past few years with a cracked rib in his back. Let him prove that all along that the injury effected his play.

Merker is a problem. I doubt he can sustain even another 20 game stretch without back problems. I shop him for anything in return.

Enough of Belisle. How many time can you continue to run him out without getting performance. Bring up Bailey

Majewski is interesting. If he continues to pitch you give him a chance if someone is injured.

I like Lincoln but his performance hasn't been good as of late.

The problem with Herrera is there are 3 lefties ahead of him right. Bray, Affeldt, and Merker are blocking Herrera right now. If the reds fall out of contention Affeldt will probably be delt and Herrera will see the majors.

Hopper can't hit the ball out of the infield. He doesnt' deserve a spot on the roster. I think there is a little more of a problem with his elbow that many think.

Good riddance Javy.

RedRoser
05-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Keep Hairston up, keep Bray, replace Belisle in the rotation with Bailey, Thompson, or Maloney, send Lincoln and Javy Valentin somewhere else.

Oh, and keep playing that Bruce kid. . . :thumbup:

OnBaseMachine
05-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Mercker is a nice guy but his stuff is no longer what it use to be. Bill Bray is younger and has better stuff than Mercker and deserves to be in the majors over Mercker at this point, IMO. A couple other moves I would make is ship out one of Weathers/Lincoln and call up Josh Roenicke to replace them. I would also DFA Josh Fogg, move Matt Belisle into his role and call up Matt Maloney to be the fifth starter.

Kc61
05-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Hopper for Javy? So you want five righty hitters -- and no lefty hitter -- on the bench? Will not happen. Every NL team needs a lefty pinch hitter, if not two. Forget it.

Mercker for Bray? I wouldn't do it, but could happen.

Lincoln? Throws hard and has a good curve. His results have been mixed but he's done well in shorter stints, like last night. I don't think he's going anywhere unless he melts down. Last two outings were good.

Fogg? Has no role on this team. Majewski or another reliever should replace him. Somebody who is truly a relief pitcher. Fogg needs to go somewhere he can start.

Belisle? Look at the numbers.

Falls City Beer
05-29-2008, 12:42 PM
Majewski could be in the middle of a string of no-hitters at AAA, and it wouldn't matter.

There's a point with some pitchers when results in the minors should mean absolutely nothing, and Majewski passed it two years ago.

OnBaseMachine
05-29-2008, 12:45 PM
Majewski could be in the middle of a string of no-hitters at AAA, and it wouldn't matter.

There's a point with some pitchers when results in the minors should mean absolutely nothing, and Majewski passed it two years ago.

This I agree with.

Kc61
05-29-2008, 12:58 PM

I don't agree. I'd give him one more shot, in low pressure situations.

Majewski was once a good relief pitcher. I know, it was luck, he really wasn't good, etc., but he was reasonably successful for the Nats.

He also has had injury. Maybe he's now healthy?

I'd rather take a shot on him for a few weeks than have Fogg sitting around waiting for third inning blow outs that hardly happen. This emergency starter spot is a waste. I'd rather have another reliever who can be used in relief.

Chip R
05-29-2008, 01:37 PM
This I agree with.

Ditto.

WebScorpion
05-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Wow, this thread reads like a political opinion thread...Keep Belisle, dump Belisle; Keep Hopper, Dump Hopper; Keep Javy, Dump Javy...you get the picture. The great part is we know something will happen! No more putting the same guys on the field and expecting them to magically do something different.

The most immediate change I'd like to see is the solidifying of our rotation. Belisle is not a servicable 5th starter, neither is Fogg...Fogg hasn't even been used in relief. If they aren't going to use Fogg, get rid of him...we could use the bullpen slot. I'd like to get a lefty into the rotation and Maloney appears ready for a tryout. I'd bring him up and give him a shot, (3 starts and an evaluation,) move Belisle to the 'pen (and USE him,) and DFA Fogg.

Keppinger will be back and obviously will be an option somewhere, SS, 3B, supersub, whatever. He puts the bat on the ball way more than anyone else on this team with one first name, so he'll play. That means a body must leave the team by trade, trip to Louisville, or release. My guess is it will be either Janish, Valentin, Freel, or Hairston. I think trading Freel or Hairston is the best option...They have almost the same role and neither one is benefitted by a trip to AAA. I think a bench of Phillips, Janish, Freel or Hairston, and Valentin is pretty well rounded. I'd really like to see them play Janish a little more and move Kepp around, but that's just me. Hopper? I really don't see a place for Hopper unless an oufielder is traded or injured.

IMO, those are sort of no-brainers. The bullpen may be the key to the whole season, though. Cordero is solid and I've already detailed one change, so that leaves us with Affeldt, Bray, Burton, Belisle, Lincoln, and Weathers to hold the middle innings. The more I examine that 'pen, the more I like it. Burton is the only no-doubter, but the rest are league average bullpenners who have good spurts and bad spurts. I don't see anyone coming in being an incredible improvement. If Belisle doesn't pull his weight though, I'd send him down and bring up Mercker...same goes for Lincoln...if he goes figuratively south, I'd send him physically south.

Other than that, I'd just let the young guys in the minors develop and keep my eye on them. I'd try to move Griffey after #600.

Caveat Emperor
05-29-2008, 02:31 PM

The worst part about keeping Majewski in the minor leagues is that, eventually, he'll trick someone into thinking that his success there means he's ready to pitch in the bigs again.

I sincerely hope that chicanery occurs when he's pitching for some other organization.

WVRedsFan
05-29-2008, 02:57 PM
So, basically Janish at SS and Freel in place of Griffey? I like the idea overall, but it will never happen.We've got too many better bats than Janish to play him everyday. Keppinger and Hariston (for now) offer more punch and it pretty much negates any fielding maladies they have. Benching Griffey is not an option because the outcry would be so strong that they just wouldn't do it. Besides when (if) Griffey gets hot, no one will be clammoring for that anyway.