PDA

View Full Version : Why is Harang starting tonight?

DeadRedinCT
05-29-2008, 10:25 AM
On three day's rest no less. It would be a perfect time to bring up Maloney - he last pitched on May 24th, so it would be on his regular turn. Push back a day both Harang and Volquez, with Volquez taking Belisle's scheduled spot. DFA either Fogg or Lincoln, with Belisle taking that spot in the bullpen or option Belisle (I believe he has one option year left) to make room for Maloney (probably have to remove Drew Anderson from the 40man).

steig
05-29-2008, 11:48 AM
This move would give us a better chance of winning the atlanta, series.

Slyder
05-29-2008, 11:48 AM
Don't we have a 40 man roster spot open from moving AGon to the 60 day dl?

HeatherC1212
05-29-2008, 12:08 PM
I think the AGon move actually freed up the spot for Andy Phillips.

BLEEDS
05-29-2008, 12:54 PM
Ummm, it's been 7 days since his scheduled last start - May 22nd.

He - and just about every other pitcher on our team - had to pitch in that 18 inning game vs. San Diego. He pitched 4 innings giving up 2 hits and NINE (9) K's. He should be fine.

Voltar is pitching tomorrow, on 4 days "rest" if you will, but it will have been 7 days since his last start too.

The only person who went on 3 days rest in between STARTS was Arroyo, aka Mr. Rubber Arm, who actually has a RIDONKULOUS record pitching on short rest.

Put down the pitch forks and douse the torches.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

LeTsGoCiNnCy3
05-29-2008, 01:16 PM
ya i dont know about 3 days rest for harang but arroyo seems to pich lights out on short rest

OldRed1966
05-29-2008, 02:04 PM
I agree. I don't know why they didn't pitch Belisle today, and push Harang and Volquez back a day. It would have been a much better mathchup with the Braves.

bgwilly31
05-29-2008, 02:05 PM
Ive got no worries for harang. He will be fine.

I want something new in our 5th spot. We've got a chance now to make a run and we need to FIX **** now.

belisle is garbage. Bring up homer or this maloney cat.

05-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Harang pitched on his throw day on Sunday. He normally throws that many pitches on that day on the side, but this time, he just threw them in a real game. He'll be fine.

OldRed1966
05-29-2008, 03:15 PM
Ive got no worries for harang. He will be fine.

I want something new in our 5th spot. We've got a chance now to make a run and we need to FIX **** now.

belisle is garbage. Bring up homer or this maloney cat.

Harang pitched on his throw day on Sunday. He normally throws that many pitches on that day on the side, but this time, he just threw them in a real game. He'll be fine.

I don't think anyone is worried about Harang, but wouldn't you rather have Harang face the Braves than the Pirates, and vise versa with Belisle.

Hondo
05-29-2008, 03:18 PM
I don't think anyone is worried about Harang, but wouldn't you rather have Harang face the Braves than the Pirates, and vise versa with Belisle.

I would rather have Harang Pitch against the Braves.

I would also rather have you Pitching instead of Belisle.

DeadRedinCT
05-29-2008, 03:55 PM

Thank you. This is part of the point I was trying to make, when I noticed while perusing Matt Maloney's minor league stats. Kill two birds with one move - remove Belisle from the rotation while giving his replacement his first career start on his normal day to pitch AND, since the Reds have already won the series with the Pirates, set them up as best as possible to win the series versus Atlanta.

No pitchforks or torches ;). I can understand why the Reds are doing what they are doing (keeping Harang and Volquez on their regular turns).

levydl
05-29-2008, 04:35 PM

If that were the case, why don't we use him out of the bullpen all the time when it's his throw day? Pitching in a game and throwing on the side are different, even if it was the Padres.

_Sir_Charles_
05-29-2008, 05:22 PM
Well, Matt actually threw in Louisville earlier today. Nice start again btw.

7.0 ip / 4 hits / 2 er / 3 bb / 5 k's

So he's now 6-2 with a 4.09 era.

In a side note...the little screwball'er we got in the Hammy trade....

Herrera (s, 3) 1.2 ip / 1 hit / 0 r / 1 bb / 2 k's ....era down to 0.98. The kid's dealin!

Hondo
05-29-2008, 05:31 PM

Herrera (s, 3) 1.2 ip / 1 hit / 0 r / 1 bb / 2 k's ....era down to 0.98. The kid's dealin!

Maloney did that? This team is so funny sometimes. They could bring up a guy like that to see what options they have, and instead they want to trot Fogg out there... Of course, maybe they wanted to set up the rotation a certain way, and didn't want to bring up Maloney or Bailey to make their first start of the year aginst the Braves... So it's like... Sending Fogg to the Wolves, and he wins, Great. If he doesn't, atleast the Young guys didn't get rocked.

_Sir_Charles_
05-29-2008, 05:36 PM
Well, Matt's era is still a bit high, but he struggled early in the season. He's come on VERY strong of late. His last 5 starts have all been supurb.

And again, saying that Fogg is starting saturday and actually having Fogg start on saturday are two different things. :O) But one start won't kill us. It's not like we're going to the WS this season. If Maloney & Bailey need another week in Louisville...fine. Just so long as Fogg isn't a long term plan. Remember, this is the reason we signed Fogg in the first place. To bide our time until the kids are ready. Affeldt was signed for the same reason but with an understanding that he had solid value out of the pen even AFTER this season.

bgwilly31
05-29-2008, 05:40 PM

by hammy trade do you mean Hamilton.

Are you talking about the little short guy we got with Volquez?

_Sir_Charles_
05-29-2008, 05:42 PM
Yes, Hammy = Hamilton. And Herrera is Daniel Herrera. He got promoted to Louisville a while back and he's continued to be dominant. I'll try to scrounge up his numbers.

_Sir_Charles_
05-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Danny Herrera...5'8", 145 lbs, 24 years old, lefty

Chattanooga:

3-0 / 2.55 era / 10 games / 17.2 ip / 12 hits / 5 er / 7 bb / 10 k's / .211 opp. avg.

Louisville:

0-0 / 0.98 era / 14 games / 18.1 ip / 11 hits / 2 er / 3 bb / 16 k's / 3 saves / .167 opp. avg.

HalMorrisRules
05-29-2008, 06:31 PM
If that were the case, why don't we use him out of the bullpen all the time when it's his throw day? Pitching in a game and throwing on the side are different, even if it was the Padres.

C. Trent had a link to this article today and it advocates the very thing that you mentioned here. I wouldnt be against it at all.

Baseball Prospectus (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=879)

Kingspoint
05-29-2008, 08:19 PM
On three day's rest no less. It would be a perfect time to bring up Maloney - he last pitched on May 24th, so it would be on his regular turn. Push back a day both Harang and Volquez, with Volquez taking Belisle's scheduled spot. DFA either Fogg or Lincoln, with Belisle taking that spot in the bullpen or option Belisle (I believe he has one option year left) to make room for Maloney (probably have to remove Drew Anderson from the 40man).

Excellent post. That is exactly what they should have done.

improbus
05-29-2008, 09:04 PM
Harang is the ace. It is an ace's job to step up and take the ball, whether rested or not.

Hondo
05-29-2008, 09:48 PM
This is the Pirates. Harang should have been on normal Rest.

levydl
05-30-2008, 09:42 AM
C. Trent had a link to this article today and it advocates the very thing that you mentioned here. I wouldnt be against it at all.

Baseball Prospectus (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=879)

I realize it's only 1 game, but how'd that seem to work out? Pitching in a game is not like throwing in the bullpen.