PDA

View Full Version : Another roster move announced....

_Sir_Charles_
05-29-2008, 04:14 PM
Today the Reds optioned to Class AAA Louisville RHP Matt Belisle and reinstated from the 15-day disabled list LHP Kent Mercker.

RHP Josh Fogg will start Saturday’s game against the Braves.

per fay as usual

Grande Donkey
05-29-2008, 04:15 PM
Woooooooo. This will make so much difference!

(sarcasm)

_Sir_Charles_
05-29-2008, 04:15 PM
Personally I would've preferred they'd brought up someone besides Merker. Preferably Maloney...or maybe even Homer. Either one would be a better option than Fogg starting.

But regardless, Belisle to Louisville is probably for the best.

texasdave
05-29-2008, 04:16 PM
I would rather run Matt Belisle out there than Josh Fogg. Maybe this is Fogg's last gasp chance at saving his job.

DeadRedinCT
05-29-2008, 04:18 PM
... and the band played on.

Hondo
05-29-2008, 04:22 PM
Josh Fogg? Come on WALT!

This is the type of crap that makes the last 2 wins, just... OK the High is worn off...

Fogg's last little Bullpen outing hr cost the Reds a win, 2/3 Inning, 2 ER... Before that he allowed 1 hit in 2 Innings over 2 apperances... Before that, 2 IP 5 ER out of the Bullpen...

Talk about wasting another start. Give me Homer Bailey.

_Sir_Charles_
I wouldn't be surprised if this was a one time start for Fogg. They may be trying to get their ducks in a row in regards to days off and starting slots available for the kids in Louisville. Maloney, Thompson and Bailey are all capable and have much higher upsides than either Fogg (obviously) or Belisle. A one game start by Fogg could allow them to arrange things to bring up one of the kids. Or at least I'm HOPING so. :O)

James B.
Count me in as another who would rather see Belisle than Fogg. I don't see how this move helps us.

CySeymour
05-29-2008, 04:25 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if this was a one time start for Fogg. They may be trying to get their ducks in a row in regards to days off and starting slots available for the kids in Louisville. Maloney, Thompson and Bailey are all capable and have much higher upsides than either Fogg (obviously) or Belisle. A one game start by Fogg could allow them to arrange things to bring up one of the kids. Or at least I'm HOPING so. :O)

That was my thought as well. Really, a good start by Fogg could be a worse case scenerio.

_Sir_Charles_
05-29-2008, 04:25 PM
Belisle (or Fogg) isn't slated to start until Saturday. At the rate we're seeing changes this week...we could see another before then. *crosses fingers*

HeatherC1212
05-29-2008, 04:29 PM
I REALLY didn't want to go downtown to the game on Saturday and get a sense of dread as I enter the ballpark. PLEASE let this be a temporary thing and let there be another move coming soon! I'll be wearing my free Reds beach towel on my head by the third inning. :eek:

texasdave
05-29-2008, 04:33 PM
In six career games (five starts) Fogg has posted the following numbers versus Los Bravos de Atlanta:

IP 33.1
HITS 46
HR 6
BB 11
K 15
WHIP 1.72
ERA 5.13
BA 0.343
OBP 0.395
SLG 0.597
OPS 0.992

I find them strangely encouraging. He must be due for a good outing against them. Right?

redsfanmia
05-29-2008, 04:34 PM
I am glad to see Belisle gone for now but I think he has value as a mop-up man in the future. I am glad to see Walt making some moves.

Hondo
05-29-2008, 04:37 PM
In six career games (five starts) Fogg has posted the following numbers versus Los Bravos de Atlanta:

IP 33.1
HITS 46
HR 6
BB 11
K 15
WHIP 1.72
ERA 5.13
BA 0.343
OBP 0.395
SLG 0.597
OPS 0.992

I find them strangely encouraging. He must be due for a good outing against them. Right?

46 hits in 33 Innings?

Nice

tommycash
05-29-2008, 04:44 PM
I think starting Fogg might be a move that could be used as trade bait for the future. Bob might not want to eat another million dollar contract, and the Rockies showed interest, but they would be stupid to trade for him if the Reds were going to cut him. So Walt thinks by putting him in the rotation either shows Fogg off to the Rockies (if he does good) or makes Bob want to cut him loose (if he does bad). At least this is what I have been telling myself for the last hour to keep me from going crazy.

Hondo
05-29-2008, 04:51 PM
Josh Fogg is Wasting another start for the Reds... I could see him going against the Pirates, but not the Atlanta Braves...

Hondo
05-29-2008, 05:04 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3417616

Read the last line of the column... It says it all.

DTCromer
05-29-2008, 05:37 PM
Fogg got 2 starts. Belisle had what. . . 5? I think we should at least give him 2-3 more starts to prove he's average at best. I would accept 4 runs in 5-6 innings of work from Fogg. Anything more is gravy.

Lockdwn11
05-29-2008, 09:04 PM
Belisle (or Fogg) isn't slated to start until Saturday. At the rate we're seeing changes this week...we could see another before then. *crosses fingers*

I thought the same thing SC

Orodle
05-30-2008, 12:50 PM
I think starting Fogg might be a move that could be used as trade bait for the future. Bob might not want to eat another million dollar contract, and the Rockies showed interest, but they would be stupid to trade for him if the Reds were going to cut him. So Walt thinks by putting him in the rotation either shows Fogg off to the Rockies (if he does good) or makes Bob want to cut him loose (if he does bad). At least this is what I have been telling myself for the last hour to keep me from going crazy.

I agree. This start is Fogg's last chance/ chance to make him look more valuable to possibly trade instead of eating his contract.