3. Jay Bruce rf
4. Brandon Phillips 2b
5. Adam Dunn lf
6. Andy Phillips 3b
7. Joey Votto 1b
8. David Ross c
9. Aaron Harang p

From C. Trent

A sign that Dusty sees Bruce as the #3 hitter for next year?

SultanOfSwing
05-29-2008, 05:04 PM
1. Ryan Freel c
8. David Ross c

We have two catchers? Who will play center? :D

Hondo
05-29-2008, 05:08 PM
Andy Phillips gettign a Shot at 3rd... Hmm... Dudepick sure likes to Tinker.

_Sir_Charles_
05-29-2008, 05:11 PM
Interesting lineup. Edwin could certainly use a day off to get his head screwed on straight. He's been pretty bad at the plate lately. And Junior...slump or no slump, at his age you simply have to give him days off more often than he has been getting.

The only thing I'd change in that lineup is swapping Brandon and Joey.

Anybody seen Andy play 3rd before? Decent glove? Range wise? I think we've all seen the results of his bat, but with Hairston at SS, a hole at 3rd could be deadly for Aaron tonight.

05-29-2008, 05:12 PM
We have two catchers? Who will play center? :D

fixed it. it was straight from C. trents blog. sorry.

Homer Bailey
05-29-2008, 05:15 PM
As much as Edwin's D gets criticized, we can't afford to have a subpar defender at 3rd while Kepp and Gonzo are out. I'll admit, I don't know anything about Phillips' glove, but I think Edwin should be starting everyday just for defensive purposes.

Hondo
05-29-2008, 05:16 PM
fixed it. it was straight from C. trents blog. sorry.

Don't ever let it happen again. Ever.

:thumbup:

_Sir_Charles_
05-29-2008, 05:18 PM
As much as Edwin's D gets criticized, we can't afford to have a subpar defender at 3rd while Kepp and Gonzo are out. I'll admit, I don't know anything about Phillips' glove, but I think Edwin should be starting everyday just for defensive purposes.

Well, he obviously needs a day off every now and then. I just think that when they DO give Edwin the day off, it should be Janish manning SS to cover any 3B holes in the defense. A poor glove man at 3rd AND Hairston at SS is a mistake IMO. However, Hairston's bat has made him worthy of more starts...there's no doubting that. I guess it all hinges on Andy's glove work.

texasdave
05-29-2008, 05:22 PM
I thought I would never see the day that this was posted on Redszone:
but I think Edwin should be starting everyday just for defensive purposes.
But with the options the Reds currently have available at their disposal, I can't honestly say that I disagree. :)

Homer Bailey
05-29-2008, 05:26 PM
Well, he obviously needs a day off every now and then. I just think that when they DO give Edwin the day off, it should be Janish manning SS to cover any 3B holes in the defense. A poor glove man at 3rd AND Hairston at SS is a mistake IMO. However, Hairston's bat has made him worthy of more starts...there's no doubting that. I guess it all hinges on Andy's glove work.

Exactly.

_Sir_Charles_
05-29-2008, 05:27 PM
Edwin's range and glove have never been an issue as far as I'm concerned. It's always been his brain getting in front of his throwing arm. If he's given too much time to make the throw...he botches it. If it's a bang-bang play, he makes it nearly every time. It's just some mental block or mental lapse that he just has to work through. He's got the tools, no doubt about that.

But of course, if he never does get it down, the OF is always an option. We've got plenty of 3rd basemen coming up (AA and lower) with pretty high ceilings.

Hondo
05-29-2008, 05:33 PM
Edwin's range and glove have never been an issue as far as I'm concerned. It's always been his brain getting in front of his throwing arm. If he's given too much time to make the throw...he botches it. If it's a bang-bang play, he makes it nearly every time. It's just some mental block or mental lapse that he just has to work through. He's got the tools, no doubt about that.

But of course, if he never does get it down, the OF is always an option. We've got plenty of 3rd basemen coming up (AA and lower) with pretty high ceilings.

I really don't want to see Edwin in the OF, his offensive production wouldn't be good enough for an Outfielder... Cause he could only play left or right... This team probably needs a Centerfielder next year...

GoReds33
05-29-2008, 05:36 PM
Replace Andy Phillips, and Hairston, and you have our starting lineup for next season.

05-29-2008, 05:36 PM
Phillips was drafted as a SS, was moved to 3B and 2B in the minors and was moved to 1B in the majors since the Yanks had Jeter and A-Rod.
Don't know if he was any good at 3B, but he was used a lot for defense at 1B.

bgwilly31
05-29-2008, 05:37 PM
why bat A.phillips in front of Votto.

GoReds33
05-29-2008, 05:39 PM
why bat A.phillips in front of Votto.Baker's one of those managers that loves to seperate lefties, even when it's not nessecary.

Ghosts of 1990
05-29-2008, 05:58 PM
why bat A.phillips in front of Votto.

R-L-R-L creates more problems than L-L-L for a manager when he wants to bring in a reliever late in the game. Not to mention a lefty is starting.

_Sir_Charles_
05-29-2008, 06:10 PM
But remember, Votto and Bruce tatoo lefties. That's GOT to figure into that whole equation.

Ghosts of 1990
05-29-2008, 06:15 PM
LOVE that Bruce is hitting 3rd.

05-29-2008, 06:17 PM
The whole lefty righty thing has a lot to do with the starting pitcher's approach to the hitters. Switching every other hitter forces the starter to adjust his approach to pitching on every batter.
If there were three or four of one handed hitters in a row, the pitcher can just focus on one approach, and get into a grove. By having to change his approach from batter to batter, it makes it more difficult to get into a rhythm.

I'm a lefty, and I know when I was pitching I would rather fact four rightys in a row than lefty/righty/lefty/righty.