PDA

View Full Version : So we lose another game thanks to 18 innings

LouisvilleCARDS
05-29-2008, 08:19 PM
Ridiculous. Going to end up losing 2 games for the price of one, because Harang is fatigued. The Padres are officially one my most hated list for 2008 along with the Cubs and the Yankees. :thumbdown

OSUredsFAN
05-29-2008, 08:24 PM
I honestly blame Dusty on this for taking out Dunn once again in that Sunday game not the Pads.

05-29-2008, 08:28 PM
Funny, so was Harang "fatigued" when he pitched last Thursday in San Diego? Absolutely no way of knowing why Harang is getting hit today, except for the fact that he is leaving the ball up to too many hitters, just like he did on full rest in his last start, when he got hit just as hard.

I think maybe the Reds should only pitch Harang inbetween starts in relief. He's done his best work then.

Jefferson24
05-29-2008, 08:29 PM
When your team isn't real good and your manager isn't even close to good this is what you get. Pathetic.

_Sir_Charles_
05-29-2008, 08:35 PM
Personally, I'm still stunned at seeing Phil Dumatrait outpitch Aaron Harang. Fatigue or no fatigue. Simply stunning.

On a side note...what in the world is Dusty thinking tonite? We're down 6-1 and instead of just taking out Harang...he has to do his standard double switch and takes out Adam Dunn. He brings in Janish for defensive purposes. Ummm...we're down 5 and your concern is DEFENSE?!? I've yet to be a Dusty-basher but this one has me completely puzzled. Defensive double switch down by 5. Mind-boggling. (this was before the lead off first pitch homer of course...but the reality remains the same...down by 5 or 20, you need the offense to get back in it)

_Sir_Charles_
05-29-2008, 08:38 PM
It simply HAS to be an injury to Dunn, right? What other reason would you double-switch him out in this game? I'm stumpped.

Lockdwn11
05-29-2008, 08:45 PM
I honestly blame Dusty on this for taking out Dunn once again in that Sunday game not the Pads.

How did taking Dunn out cause the Reds to blow three different leads after the 8th inning? Please tell me because I really would like to know? As far as taking Dunn out tonight the only thing I can think of is Dusty is throwing in the towel and getting dunn some rest for ATL.

Trackman20
05-29-2008, 08:48 PM
Ugly game today...........but if you can get 2 of 3 from every series you're going to be playing when it really matters.

DTCromer
05-29-2008, 08:55 PM

I blame Francisco Cordero for blowing a save and allowing us to play another game on Sunday. I then blame the rest of the bullpen for allowing yet another 3-4 innings to be played.

improbus
05-29-2008, 08:59 PM
I'm not the biggest Dusty fan, but come on guys. Can you really ride a guy for an 18 inning game? Who prepares a pitching staff for that? You plan for nine, scramble through 11 or 12, and then pray it doesn't go any further. Knowing ballplayers, I would guess that Harang volunteered to pitch (he is from San Diego).

Anyway, you're missing the big point. The big issue was not getting any runs in six innings off a guy with 5 ML appearances.

Billy_Bearcat
05-29-2008, 09:06 PM
Anyway, you're missing the big point. The big issue was not getting any runs in six innings off a guy with 5 ML appearances.

Bingo!

Trackman20
05-29-2008, 09:08 PM
Phil D is looking like a Cy Young pitcher tonight. That being said, this umpire is giving him a heck of a strike zone also. You can see the Reds boiling over in their reactions after these crazy strike calls.

Homer Bailey
05-29-2008, 09:54 PM
I have a buddy that works for the Reds. Dunn got taken out because his son had a seizure. Very scary.

NorrisHopper30
05-29-2008, 10:49 PM

Dusty obviously isn't that stupid, it was his son that had a seizure and any normal human being could have assumed he was injured or something we didn't know about happened.

OSUredsFAN
05-30-2008, 12:20 AM
Dusty obviously isn't that stupid, it was his son that had a seizure and any normal human being could have assumed he was injured or something we didn't know about happened.

I was referring to the game on Sunday not tonight.

OSUredsFAN
05-30-2008, 12:28 AM
How did taking Dunn out cause the Reds to blow three different leads after the 8th inning? Please tell me because I really would like to know? As far as taking Dunn out tonight the only thing I can think of is Dusty is throwing in the towel and getting dunn some rest for ATL.

Top 17th: Cincinnati
- J. Votto singled to right center
- C. Patterson sacrificed to pitcher, J. Votto to second
- J. Hairston Jr. lined out to right, J. Votto to third
- K. Griffey Jr. intentionally walked
- B. Phillips intentionally walked, K. Griffey Jr. to second
- P. Bako hit for A. Harang
- P. Bako struck out swinging

They wouldn't have loaded the bases if Dunn was still in the game. Plus the other 4 AB's that he missed could've changed or ended the game, too. Sure there is plently of blame to go around, ie CoCo, Fogg, Votto, etc.

levydl
05-30-2008, 09:47 AM
I'm not the biggest Dusty fan, but come on guys. Can you really ride a guy for an 18 inning game? Who prepares a pitching staff for that? You plan for nine, scramble through 11 or 12, and then pray it doesn't go any further. Knowing ballplayers, I would guess that Harang volunteered to pitch (he is from San Diego).

Bud Black seemed to prepare his staff for it just fine. How many starting pitchers did they have to use, and we had to use 2?

levydl
05-30-2008, 09:50 AM
Funny, so was Harang "fatigued" when he pitched last Thursday in San Diego? Absolutely no way of knowing why Harang is getting hit today, except for the fact that he is leaving the ball up to too many hitters, just like he did on full rest in his last start, when he got hit just as hard.

I think maybe the Reds should only pitch Harang inbetween starts in relief. He's done his best work then.

Harang threw 63 pitches on 2 days rest after throwing just over 100. Then he's called back on 3 days rest, he gets rocked by the freaking Pirates, and you don't think overwork might have something to do with it?

Hondo
05-31-2008, 01:34 AM
Harang threw 63 pitches on 2 days rest after throwing just over 100. Then he's called back on 3 days rest, he gets rocked by the freaking Pirates, and you don't think overwork might have something to do with it?

Had to be, because the Pirates were hitting Doubles like it was BP.

Dudedpick is an IDIOT

If they were going to make someone start that game, should have been Fogg, going... He didn't throw that many pitches in his latest BLOWN SAVE...

And then Harang against the Braves would have been better than Josh Fogg versus Bravos...

BucksandReds
05-31-2008, 03:46 PM
I liked using Harang and Volquez versus the Padres. Odds are we win that game 7 times out of 10 giving who we had pitching in extras versus who they had. We got a little unlucky/ made some game extending bad plays that cost us that. Try to win the game when it's up for grabs. I do agree that Harang was a bad choice for the start against the Pirates. Harang and Volquez going against the Braves and we'd probably be talking about a sweep after tonight. Oh well. We are not out of it yet and just need to keep looking at the next game.