PDA

View Full Version : Do or Die month coming up!

icehole3
05-30-2008, 07:31 AM
June is a killer month schedule wise. Play 16 straight games against killer teams.

http://www.sternfannetwork.com/forum/images/smilies/Happy/HappyWave.gif

cumberlandreds
05-30-2008, 07:55 AM
Ah.....But we have Jay Bruce now. All will be well. :)

RedFanAlways1966
05-30-2008, 08:51 AM
So far the REDS are about as good (bad?) against winning teams as they are agisnt losing teams...

Teams w/ winning record: 11-13
Teams w/ a losing record: 13-14
Team (NY Mets) at .500: 1-2

Spring~Fields
05-30-2008, 10:34 AM
Ah.....But we have Jay Bruce now. All will be well. :)

No, the Reds still have a manager who is superstitious about lineups batting the CF and SS one two, and dismissing OBP against left and right handed pitchers and constructing his lineups wrong reducing the probability for base runners and runners to be driven in. Griffey will continue to bat third, Dunn down in the order, and Votto behind a A. Phillips type, and the free swinging B. Phillips is the cleanup hitter protecting a Junior that struggles to hit left or right handed pitchers out of respect.

Even Jay Bruce cannot over come wrong thinking.

Screwball
05-30-2008, 10:46 AM

Watch the blasphemy, SF.

;)

jojo
05-30-2008, 10:47 AM

I think talent trumps poor strategy.

It's good strategy that can't trump poor talent.

WVRedsFan
05-30-2008, 10:56 AM

You said a mouthful. The problem with the last 8 Reds rosters is simply a lack of talent across the board. We fool ourselves into thinking a Freel or a Gonzalez (not limited to to these two, btw) is talent, but in the end we see they are role players. We're getting better, though. Votto at first, Philips at second, Bruce and Dunn in the outfield show real talent. But what of catcher, third (I've soured on Edwin--sorry about that), and the third outfield spot. Junior's a short-timer and our answer is Freel? Starting pitching is good to go with Harang, Arroyo, Cueto, and Volquez, but what after that? The bullpen is, uh, better somewhat.

I have confidence in Jocketty to find the talent, but working on the cheap is difficult when you're saddled with so many multi-year contracts that aren't working out.

Spring~Fields
05-30-2008, 11:12 AM

Talent would trump poor strategy if given the appropriate chance, while giving talent the chance would be the appropriate strategy, that Baker does not prescribe to. See objective OBP, SLG, OPS, see Griffey batting third, see that talent is not being given its full chances to achieve the higher probabilities.

We saw a sample of that the first night that Patterson was benched, while Hairston and Bruce played.

The superstition has nothing to do with talent or strategy, the superstition of batting a CF and SS one, two regardless of their ability or talent is trumped by the ignorance in the strategy, circumventing potential talent and productive outcomes by others.

The problem here is that the manager has poor strategies, thus the manager lacks the management skills, lacking the talent within himself.

Sea Ray
05-30-2008, 05:39 PM
Was it just me or did it really look like the Pirates were pitching around Bruce to get to the poorly placed #3 hitter (Griffey)? If so that shouldn't happen. No way should the opposing team fear your brand new rookie #2 hitter over your veteran #3 hitter. Batting Griffey and Phillips 3-4 is a problem.

RedsManRick
05-30-2008, 06:00 PM

I'll agree with this. The right players utilized poorly will outperform the wrong players utilized superbly.

WVRedsFan
05-30-2008, 06:09 PM
Was it just me or did it really look like the Pirates were pitching around Bruce to get to the poorly placed #3 hitter (Griffey)? If so that shouldn't happen. No way should the opposing team fear your brand new rookie #2 hitter over your veteran #3 hitter. Batting Griffey and Phillips 3-4 is a problem.

Well. It appeared to me they were pitching very carefully to both Bruce and Griffey. In the first game, Griff walked three times and got an RBI. In the second game, he was 0-3, but no RBI. His OBP was .375, Bruce had that big game on Tuesday, walking two times and he walked 2 times on Wednesday, but the one game where Griff was not behind him, he was Oh-for Three.

My theory was that they were jpitching carefully to both to get to Phillips, which makes them dumber than even I thought they were, even though Brandon was only 2-10.

Interestingly enough, Both Griffey and Bruce drove in two runs in the three games.

Marc D
05-30-2008, 06:12 PM
Forget June for now, the Reds are currently 13-12 in May. Win at least one of these next two games and we just witnessed winning baseball played by our beloved Reds for one entire calendar month.

Baby steps.

Spring~Fields
05-30-2008, 06:36 PM
I'll agree with this. The right players utilized poorly will outperform the wrong players utilized superbly.

Well certainly I do too in that context, I should say as you are paraphrasing it.

I just have a problem making the determination that Hairston, Bruce, Dunn, Votto, B. Phillips, Encarcion and Keppinger are poor talent until we can determine that they have been utilized superbly in some manner other than a small sample.

Especially if their OBP, SLG and OPS are ignored in that utilization against right-handers and left-handers, that might be starting a given game. I may have over estimated them though they are 10th in runs scored out of 16, and the team is 3rd out of 16 in errors made, I am not sure where the pitching is right now because of the inflation from Fogg, Arroyo early on.

On the early sports program before the game Harang was quoted as saying that after he warmed up that he had nothing left after being used the other night as a reliever. Which is talent being poorly utilized.