PDA

View Full Version : Heroin overdose kills GA Tech pitcher

Chip R
05-30-2008, 01:32 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=3418649
Medical examiner says overdose involved heroin

Associated Press

Updated: May 30, 2008, 1:13 PM ET

ATLANTA -- A medical examiner's report shows a heroin overdose caused the death of Georgia Tech pitcher Michael Hutts.

The Fulton County Medical Examiner's office released the report Friday. The report offers the final word on what killed the 21-year-old baseball player, who was found dead in his Atlanta apartment on April 11.

Police suspected an accidental drug overdose from the beginning. Hutts' roommate, Ryan Tinkoff, told police Hutts had injected heroin in the past and believed he may have used heroin the night of April 10.

But investigators have been sifting through the medical evidence. A preliminary medical examiner's report in early May found Hutts died from acute morphine toxicity. Heroin is a modified form of morphine, and quickly breaks down in the body into morphine.

Still, the possibility had lingered that Hutts died from morphine and not heroin, said Dr. Geoffrey Smith, an associated medical examiner.

It was toxicology results, released Friday, that showed a small amount of actual heroin in a urine sample from Hutts' body, as well as the heroin metabolite 6-monoacetylmorphine.

An Atlanta Police spokesman, James C. Polite Jr., said the final report was clearly important information.

"The findings of the medical examiner are crucial in how we investigate," Polite said.

Polite said he did not know if the case's investigators had seen the report, or whether additional detective work into where he got the drugs was going forward.

Hutts grew up in Dunwoody, an Atlanta suburb, and graduated from The Wesleyan School in nearby Norcross. In college, he was listed on the dean's list with a management major last year.

Hutts died less than a week after his best game of the season. On April 6, the reliever threw two scoreless innings against North Carolina, allowing one hit. Overall, he made nine appearances this year.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Wheelhouse
05-30-2008, 03:30 PM
Reds related?

Chip R
05-30-2008, 03:36 PM
Reds related?

Did you see anything in there about the Reds?

joshnky
05-30-2008, 04:25 PM
Did you see anything in there about the Reds?

I think his question was regarding the placement of this article in the ORG if it had nothing to do with the Reds. :confused:

Joseph
05-30-2008, 04:30 PM
Its baseball related though. It belongs in ORG. We talk about other teams all the time, and they aren't the Reds.

Wheelhouse
05-30-2008, 07:03 PM
Its baseball related though. It belongs in ORG. We talk about other teams all the time, and they aren't the Reds.

But those are major league teams that the Reds play. Minor league players, even Reds minor league players, are discussed on the minor league board. Frankly, a tale of death by drug addiction by a man who when he lived played baseball at Georgia Tech belongs in "non-baseball chatter"

cincinnati chili
05-30-2008, 10:42 PM
I missed the memo that Georgia Tech had been granted minor league status. Somebody better inform the NCAA as paying the players will surely trigger an extra benefits violation.

:)

Chip R
05-30-2008, 11:55 PM
But those are major league teams that the Reds play. Minor league players, even Reds minor league players, are discussed on the minor league board. Frankly, a tale of death by drug addiction by a man who when he lived played baseball at Georgia Tech belongs in "non-baseball chatter"

Unfortunately, you don't have a say about it.

KittyDuran
05-31-2008, 05:36 AM
But those are major league teams that the Reds play. Minor league players, even Reds minor league players, are discussed on the minor league board. Frankly, a tale of death by drug addiction by a man who when he lived played baseball at Georgia Tech belongs in "non-baseball chatter"I would tend to agree or at least be in the "Minor League Talk".

Ravenlord
05-31-2008, 05:39 AM
i can't believe that the content of this thread is where it should be within the forum. a f'n kid is dead. ^(%(#*&#.

KittyDuran
05-31-2008, 05:44 AM
i can't believe that the content of this thread is where it should be within the forum. a f'n kid is dead. ^(%(#*&#.Sorry, Raven - prayers go out to his family and teammates. :(

05-31-2008, 08:21 AM

Maybe you should have skipped this thread.

Sea Ray
05-31-2008, 08:38 AM
i can't believe that the content of this thread is where it should be within the forum. a f'n kid is dead. ^(%(#*&#.

Yeah we get that. People die in this country of drug ODs every day. It's tragic. Most of us read ORG to get away from stuff like this. We want to discuss major league baseball. This story has nothing whatsoever to do with major league baseball. It is up to the mods to decide where to put this thread but I don't see that it belongs in ORG guard anymore than softball bats or little league discussions.

This is a story about a drug overdose. The fact that the kid had a scholarship to college to play ball changes the storyline very little IMO.

Let's say for instance that Dougdirt starts a bunch of threads tracking college players both on and off the field. My bet is it would be moved from ORG. This is a story about a drug problem. It's not about baseball.

joshnky
05-31-2008, 09:38 AM
Let's say for instance that Dougdirt starts a bunch of threads tracking college players both on and off the field. My bet is it would be moved from ORG. This is a story about a drug problem. It's not about baseball.

But it was posted by a moderator so it MUST be right. Remember we don't have a say in it.

westofyou
05-31-2008, 10:03 AM
Man.. what a bunch of control freaks you people are.

KittyDuran
05-31-2008, 10:30 AM
Man.. what a bunch of control freaks you people are.What that really necessary? :thumbdown For that matter, was all our responses really necessary? :rolleyes:

Seriously, when I first saw this thread, read it, I thought "what a waste of a young life, and he was getting to sign with the Reds..." Then came Wheelhouse post and I had to re-read it and realized that it should be moved to another forum. Simple as that, it happens all the time.

But thanks, this has put me in a mood... watch out annoying Braves fans today...

05-31-2008, 11:48 AM
But it was posted by a moderator so it MUST be right. Remember we don't have a say in it.

http://www.jackandjaneoftrades.com/Jokes_files/Uptight.jpg