PDA

View Full Version : This Date In Reds History (5/30/08): Past Lineups

Big Klu
05-30-2008, 04:22 PM
50 years ago (1958), a 10-1 win at Connie Mack Stadium in Philadelphia.

Cincinnati
Johnny Temple 2b
Pete Whisenant lf
Smoky Burgess c
Steve Bilko 1b
Don Hoak 3b
Gus Bell cf
Jerry Lynch rf
Roy McMillan ss
Harvey Haddix p

Philadelphia
Richie Ashburn cf
Chico Fernandez ss
Harry Anderson 1b
Rip Repulski rf
Chuck Essegian lf
Stan Lopata c
Willie Jones 3b
Ted Kazanski 2b
Curt Simmons p

WP: Harvey Haddix (3-3)
LP: Curt Simmons (4-5)
HR: CIN - Smoky Burgess (3), Steve Bilko (3).

Harvey Haddix pitched a complete-game five-hitter with 10 K's to get the win for the Reds.

Big Klu
05-30-2008, 04:25 PM
45 years ago (1963), a 5-4 loss at Crosley Field vs. the Giants.

San Francisco
Cap Peterson 2b
Willie McCovey lf
Willie Mays cf
Orlando Cepeda 1b
Felipe Alou rf
Jim Davenport 3b
Ed Bailey c
Jose Pagan ss
Billy O'Dell p

Cincinnati
Pete Rose 2b
Tommy Harper rf
Vada Pinson cf
Frank Robinson rf
Daryl Spencer 3b
Marty Keough 1b
Don Pavletich c
Leo Cardenas ss
Joe Nuxhall p

WP: Billy O'Dell (8-0)
LP: Joe Nuxhall (4-3)
Sv: Bob Bolin (5)
HR: SF - Cap Peterson (1), Felipe Alou (11).

Giants 2B Cap Peterson hit his first major-league home run leading off the fifth inning against Joe Nuxhall.

Big Klu
05-30-2008, 04:34 PM
40 years ago (1968), a 5-3 loss at Crosley Field vs. the Dodgers.

Los Angeles
Willie Davis cf
Zoilo Versalles ss
Wes Parker lf
Ken Boyer 1b
Rocky Colavito rf
Bob Bailey 3b
Paul Popovich 2b
Jeff Torborg c
Claude Osteen p

Cincinnati
Pete Rose rf
Tommy Helms 2b
Vada Pinson cf
Alex Johnson lf
Tony Perez 3b
Johnny Bench c
Lee May 1b
Leo Cardenas ss
Gerry Arrigo p

WP: Claude Osteen (3-7)
LP: Gerry Arrigo (3-3)
Sv: Jack Billingham (5)
HR: CIN - Vada Pinson (2).

Big Klu
05-30-2008, 04:42 PM
35 years ago (1973), a 5-2 loss at Busch Stadium in St. Louis.

Cincinnati
Dave Concepcion ss
Joe Morgan 2b
Pete Rose lf
Johnny Bench c
Tony Perez 1b
Bobby Tolan cf
Denis Menke 3b
Cesar Geronimo rf
Don Gullett p

St. Louis
Lou Brock lf
Ted Sizemore 2b
Joe Torre 1b
Ted Simmons c
Luis Melendez cf
Ken Reitz 3b
Jose Cruz rf
Mike Tyson ss
Alan Foster p

WP: Rich Folkers (1-0)
LP: Ed Sprague (0-1)
Sv: Wayne Granger (3)
HR: CIN - Tony Perez (7), Dave Concepcion (6). STL - Jose Cruz (5).

oregonred
05-30-2008, 04:49 PM
35 years ago (1973), a 5-2 loss at Busch Stadium in St. Louis.

Cincinnati
Dave Concepcion ss
Joe Morgan 2b
Pete Rose lf
Johnny Bench c
Tony Perez 1b
Bobby Tolan cf
Denis Menke 3b
Cesar Geronimo rf
Don Gullett p

St. Louis
Lou Brock lf
Ted Sizemore 2b
Joe Torre 1b
Ted Simmons c
Luis Melendez cf
Ken Reitz 3b
Jose Cruz rf
Mike Tyson ss
Alan Foster p

WP: Rich Folkers (1-0)
LP: Ed Sprague (0-1)
Sv: Wayne Granger (3)
HR: CIN - Tony Perez (7), Dave Concepcion (6). STL - Jose Cruz (5).

What was George "Sparky" Anderson smoking that day?? Not batting Pete Rose at leadoff.

Also Denis ".638 OPS in 1973" Menke at 3rd. Or Bobby ".555 OPS in 1973" Tolan in CF. Talk about a black hole. What I would do is get that Griffey kid up from the minors in RF, shift Geronimo over to CF. Trade for George Foster and move Pete Rose to 3B. DFA Menke, Trade Tolan post haste...

Wonder how many Redszone threads were started after that out machine of a lineup was posted on the net? :beerme:

Big Klu
05-30-2008, 04:50 PM
30 years ago (1978), a 4-3 10-inning loss at Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium.

Cincinnati
Pete Rose 3b
Ken Griffey rf
Dave Concepcion ss
George Foster lf
Cesar Geronimo cf
Mike Lum 1b
Junior Kennedy 2b
Don Werner c
Tom Hume p

Atlanta
Jerry Royster 2b
Brian Asselstine cf
Biff Pocoroba c
Jeff Burroughs lf
Gary Matthews rf
Dale Murphy 1b
Barry Bonnell 3b
Darrel Chaney ss
Phil Niekro p

WP: Jamie Easterly (1-2)
LP: Doug Bair (1-1)
HR: ATL - Gary Matthews (6).

The Braves rallied for one run in the ninth to tie the game, and then Gary Matthews led off the bottom of the tenth with a game-winning home run off Doug Bair.

oregonred
05-30-2008, 04:58 PM
30 years ago (1978), a 4-3 10-inning loss at Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium.

Cincinnati
Pete Rose 3b
Ken Griffey rf
Dave Concepcion ss
George Foster lf
Cesar Geronimo cf
Mike Lum 1b
Junior Kennedy 2b
Don Werner c
Tom Hume p

Atlanta
Jerry Royster 2b
Brian Asselstine cf
Biff Pocoroba c
Jeff Burroughs lf
Gary Matthews rf
Dale Murphy 1b
Barry Bonnell 3b
Darrel Chaney ss
Phil Niekro p

WP: Jamie Easterly (1-2)
LP: Doug Bair (1-1)
HR: ATL - Gary Matthews (6).

The Braves rallied for one run in the ninth to tie the game, and then Gary Matthews led off the bottom of the tenth with a game-winning home run off Doug Bair.

That's all Sparky's fault too. Talk about the ultimate black hole at #6-#8 in the lineup. Don .428 OPS Werner -- are you serious?? That'a a Bob Boone Sunday special lineup.

If I were Dick Wagner I'd fire his arse after the season if he keeps running out that dreck against the last place Braves. They won't make the playoffs this year. I'm calling that right now :thumbdown

I'd move Hume to closer and see what happens. I think he could be effective in that role. He's not a starter...

I'd also deal Driessen while he still has a lot of value. I can't see that working out long term. Call up Ray Knight, get him in the lineup everyday and see what happens.

I'd get Pete Rose signed to a contract after the season. I think he still has 5-6 quality seasons left. No way I let him test the FA market after the season ;)

Big Klu
05-30-2008, 05:11 PM
What was George "Sparky" Anderson smoking that day?? Not batting Pete Rose at leadoff.

Also Denis ".638 OPS in 1973" Menke at 3rd. Or Bobby ".555 OPS in 1973" Tolan in CF. Talk about a black hole. What I would do is get that Griffey kid up from the minors in RF, shift Geronimo over to CF. Trade for George Foster and move Pete Rose to 3B. DFA Menke, Trade Tolan post haste...

Wonder how many Redszone threads were started after that out machine of a lineup was posted on the net? :beerme:

Menke would have gotten a lot of love from RedsZone '73, because his OBP was largely walk-driven. :p: He had only a .191 batting average, but a "robust" .368 OBP, thanks to 69 walks. He had 23 more walks than hits that season. He also had a .270 SLG. Honestly, it would have made more sense to take the bat away from him and make him bat empty-handed.

Tolan was toast. He was 1973's version of Corey Patterson. However, Cesar Geronimo was not yet ready for prime time, as his line of .210/.266/.309/.575 would illustrate. Foster was already in the system--he was acquired from the Giants in 1971, but he was at AAA along with Ken Griffey and Dan Driessen.

The 1973 team had a lot of offensive holes, considering that they were defending NL Champions and eventual division champs. But the the top five in that order were strong. (Dave Concepcion had a breakthrough season in 1973--unfortunately, it was cut short by a season-ending injury right before the All-Star Break.) It is a minor quibble that Rose was hitting third instead of first, but the fact is that at least the first five were the right players.

Big Klu
05-30-2008, 05:17 PM
That's all Sparky's fault too. Talk about the ultimate black hole at #6-#8 in the lineup. Don .428 OPS Werner -- are you serious?? That'a a Bob Boone Sunday special lineup.

Except it was only Tuesday. I have to think that the regulars were plagued by injuries--it was the second consecutive game that Bench, Driessen, and Morgan didn't play.

If I were Dick Wagner I'd fire his arse after the season if he keeps running out that dreck against the last place Braves. They won't make the playoffs this year. I'm calling that right now :thumbdown

I'd move Hume to closer and see what happens. I think he could be effective in that role. He's not a starter...

I'd also deal Driessen while he still has a lot of value. I can't see that working out long term. Call up Ray Knight, get him in the lineup everyday and see what happens.

I'd get Pete Rose signed to a contract after the season. I think he still has 5-6 quality seasons left. No way I let him test the FA market after the season ;)

Knight was already up. He started at 3B the previous day, while Rose moved across the diamond to 1B to fill in for Driessen.

oregonred
05-30-2008, 05:21 PM
Menke would have gotten a lot of love from RedsZone '73, because his OBP was largely walk-driven. :p: He had only a .191 batting average, but a "robust" .368 OBP, thanks to 69 walks. He had 23 more walks than hits that season. He also had a .270 SLG. Honestly, it would have made more sense to take the bat away from him and make him bat empty-handed.

Tolan was toast. He was 1973's version of Corey Patterson. However, Cesar Geronimo was not yet ready for prime time, as his line of .210/.266/.309/.575 would illustrate. Foster was already in the system--he was acquired from the Giants in 1971, but he was at AAA along with Ken Griffey and Dan Driessen.

The 1973 team had a lot of offensive holes, considering that they were defending NL Champions and eventual division champs. But the the top five in that order were strong. (Dave Concepcion had a breakthrough season in 1973--unfortunately, it was cut short by a season-ending injury right before the All-Star Break.) It is a minor quibble that Rose was hitting third instead of first, but the fact is that at least the first five were the right players.

For some reason I was thinking Foster wasn't acquired until after '73.

There were no minor quibbles on RZ 1973. You bat Rose first -- period... Sparky was just playing favorites with Davey batting him leadoff... I'm calling it right now, this team may win the division but it won't win the NL Pennant. Boss, you can archive that prediction :)

oregonred
05-30-2008, 05:26 PM
Except it was only Tuesday. I have to think that the regulars were plagued by injuries--it was the second consecutive game that Bench, Driessen, and Morgan didn't play.

Knight was already up. He started at 3B the previous day, while Rose moved across the diamond to 1B to fill in for Driessen.

Knight only had 40-50 AB's that season. I didn't think he was called up until late in the year...

RZ was running really slow in 1973. They really should have upgraded the servers from that crap UNIVAC hardware that's running the board.

I also like that Soto kid's arm down on the farm. I think he has #1 type stuff.

Big Klu
05-30-2008, 05:27 PM
25 years ago (1983), a 9-1 loss at Busch Stadium in St. Looey.

Cincinnati
Gary Redus lf
Eddie Milner cf
Dave Concepcion ss
Dan Driessen 1b
Ron Oester 2b
Paul Householder rf
Wayne Krenchicki 3b
Dann Bilardello c
Ted Power p

St. Louis
Tom Herr 2b
Ken Oberkfell 3b
Lonnie Smith lf
Keith Hernandez 1b
George Hendrick rf
Willie McGee cf
Darrell Porter c
Ozzie Smith ss
John Stuper p

WP: John Stuper (6-2)
LP: Ted Power (1-3)
HR: STL - Darrell Porter (7).

John Stuper pitched a complete-game nine-hitter to get the win for the Cards.

Big Klu
05-30-2008, 05:38 PM
20 years ago (1988), a 12-3 loss at Wrigley Field in Chicago.

Cincinnati
Dave Collins cf
Chris Sabo 3b
Kal Daniels lf
Paul O'Neill rf
Buddy Bell 1b
Bo Diaz c
Jeff Treadway 2b
Luis Quiñones ss
Ron Robinson p

Chicago Cubs
Dave Martinez cf
Rafael Palmeiro lf
Andre Dawson rf
Ryne Sandberg 2b
Mark Grace 1b
Jody Davis c
Vance Law 3b
Shawon Dunston ss
Les Lancaster p

WP: Les Lancaster (3-4)
LP: Ron Robinson (2-4)
HR: CHI - Ryne Sandberg (6).

Les Lancaster pitched a complete-game eleven-hitter to get the win for the Cubs.

Big Klu
05-30-2008, 05:47 PM
15 years ago (1993), an 8-4 win at Shea Stadium in Queens.

Cincinnati
Roberto Kelly cf
Bip Roberts 2b
Barry Larkin ss
Chris Sabo 3b
Randy Milligan 1b
Reggie Sanders rf
Joe Oliver c
Jacob Brumfield lf
Tom Browning p

New York Mets
Vince Coleman lf
Charlie O'Brien c
Eddie Murray 1b
Bobby Bonilla rf
Jeff Kent 2b
Dave Gallagher cf
Tony Fernandez ss
Tim Bogar 3b
Pete Schourek p

WP: Bobby Ayala (1-2)
LP: Pete Schourek (2-6)
HR: CIN - Barry Larkin (3), Joe Oliver (5). NY - Tim Bogar (1), Bobby Bonilla 2 (12).

Tom Browning, Bobby Ayala, and Rob Dibble combined on a six-hitter for the Reds. Mets 3B Tim Bogar hit his first major-league home run off Browning in the third inning.

Big Klu
05-30-2008, 05:56 PM
10 years ago (1998), a 7-3 win at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles.

Cincinnati
Reggie Sanders cf
Jon Nunnally rf
Chris Stynes lf
Eddie Taubensee c
Dmitri Young 1b
Willie Greene 3b
Bret Boone 2b
Pokey Reese ss
Pete Harnisch p

Los Angeles
Eric Young 2b
Jose Vizcaino ss
Gary Sheffield rf
Bobby Bonilla 3b
Raul Mondesi cf
Todd Hollandsworth lf
Jim Eisenreich 1b
Tom Prince c
Hideo Nomo p

WP: Pete Harnisch (5-1)
LP: Hideo Nomo (2-7)
HR: CIN - Dmitri Young (6).

Big Klu
05-30-2008, 06:10 PM
Five years ago (2003), a 4-3 11-inning win at Pro Player Stadium (formerly Joe Robbie Stadium) in Miami.

Cincinnati
Felipe Lopez ss
Sean Casey 1b
Ken Griffey Jr. cf
Austin Kearns rf
Aaron Boone 3b
Adam Dunn lf
Jason LaRue c
Juan Castro 2b
Paul Wilson p

Florida
Juan Pierre cf
Luis Castillo 2b
Ivan Rodriguez c
Mike Lowell 3b
Derrek Lee 1b
Juan Encarnacion rf
Todd Hollandsworth lf
Alex Gonzalez ss
Mark Redman p

WP: Gabe White (3-0)
LP: Armando Almanza (3-4)
Sv: Scott Williamson (12)
HR: Ken Griffey Jr. 2 (6).

With the Reds down 3-2 after eight innings, Ken Griffey Jr. led off the top of the ninth with a game-tying homer off Braden Looper, and then two innings later, Junior did it again--homering off lefty Armando Almanza with two outs and nobody on for the eventual winning run.

reds44
05-30-2008, 06:12 PM
Five years ago (2003), a 4-3 11-inning win at Pro Player Stadium (formerly Joe Robbie Stadium) in Miami.

Cincinnati
Felipe Lopez ss
Sean Casey 1b
Ken Griffey Jr. cf
Austin Kearns rf
Aaron Boone 3b
Adam Dunn lf
Jason LaRue c
Juan Castro 2b
Paul Wilson p

Florida
Juan Pierre cf
Luis Castillo 2b
Ivan Rodriguez c
Mike Lowell 3b
Derrek Lee 1b
Juan Encarnacion rf
Todd Hollandsworth lf
Alex Gonzalez ss
Mark Redman p

WP: Gabe White (3-0)
LP: Armando Almanza (3-4)
Sv: Scott Williamson (12)
HR: Ken Griffey Jr. 2 (6).

With the Reds down 3-2 after eight innings, Ken Griffey Jr. led off the top of the ninth with a game-tying homer off Braden Looper, and then two innings later, Junior did it again--homering off lefty Armando Almanza with two outs and nobody on for the eventual winning run.
I remember watching this game. It was an afternoon game, IIRC.

Big Klu
05-30-2008, 06:14 PM
I remember watching this game. It was an afternoon game, IIRC.

According to Retrosheet.org, it was a Friday night game.

reds44
05-30-2008, 06:16 PM
According to Retrosheet.org, it was a Friday night game.
I must be thinking of a different game then.

Big Klu
05-30-2008, 06:17 PM
I must be thinking of a different game then.

It's OK...sometimes they run together. :)

cumberlandreds
05-30-2008, 11:48 PM
It's OK...sometimes they run together. :)

I can remember the games in the 70's better than the one's last week. But that's just this old age thing.:)

Big Klu
05-31-2008, 12:42 AM
I can remember the games in the 70's better than the one's last week. But that's just this old age thing.:)

Me too. The only game that I have ever been to (and I have attended 79 Reds games and 5 other MLB games) that I can recite the starting lineups from memory is Opening Day 1982--the first game I ever attended.