PDA

View Full Version : Weekender - Reds Mentions

HeatherC1212
05-30-2008, 04:32 PM
There were a couple of good Reds mentions in the Weekender at mlb.com this week and I thought I'd post them here for you guys. No matter how we feel about the team, it's always nice when MLB in general recognizes the good things! :)

Link: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article_perspectives.jsp?ymd=20080529&content_id=2793657&vkey=perspectives&fext=.jsp

Gamers: The opposite of self-absorbed, of course, is a team-first attitude. Whereas Carter is well-known for having been pleased with himself after going 4-for-4 in a loss and severely bummed with 0-for-4 in a win, we're lucky to have among the new generation guys like Aaron "Big Show" Harang and Edinson Volquez.

Cincy's top two starters, Harang and Volquez both volunteered for duty during extra innings on Sunday, and Volquez actually got pinned with the loss in an 18-inning marathon against the host Padres.

Volquez's feelings about taking the L? Paraphrased, it was "Oh, well. The team needed me. I didn't get the job done."

That's class. Good For Ball.

Speed round: More praise for the Reds, who continue to look like a team that's coming to a playoff race near you within a year or two. Outfielder Jay Bruce, the phenom chosen to follow Joey Votto to the bigs, went 3-for-3 in his debut.