PDA

View Full Version : Keppinger/EE

Jim Fazio
05-31-2008, 10:18 AM
My prediction when Keppinger comes back is that EE will be traded and Keppinger or Hairston Jr will play SS and 3rd base. Any thoughts about this? Can either play 3rd effectively?

Hondo
05-31-2008, 10:26 AM
I was thinking about who would need/want Edwin? Trying to look for a match with a team that may have a Starter we can get or a Top Notch younger 3rd Baseman...

Hopefully Walt can sell "potential" to someone in need of a Third Baseman... I for one cannot think of any team that needs Edwin. But if it was possible to package him with say, Homer Bailey for a Pitcher? That may be an intriguing thought...

bgwilly31
05-31-2008, 10:48 AM
We need RH power.

If we get rid of 1-2 guys that fit that on our team. We will surely be replacing it with another RH power.

Lockdwn11
05-31-2008, 11:03 AM
EE drives me crazy! He can get on a roll and look like a All-Star for a month then he can go in the tank for two and look like he doesn't know what he is doing out there.

Orodle
05-31-2008, 12:03 PM
Encarnacion at times can carry the Reds, but at times looks horrible. Keppinger is a much more consistant player and I would rather have him playing over EE. However, Kepp is a better defensive SS than Hairston. Kepp won't make the long ranging plays but get the routine stuff done.

schmidty622
05-31-2008, 12:17 PM
No, When Keppinger comes back you get rid of Griffey for what ever it takes to get him out of town. Doesn't matter if its just a player to be named or what. Losing him in right would free up the lineup so much.

1. Hairston - CF (I'd rather have Bruce here but Dusty wouldn't)
2. Keppinger - SS
3. Bruce - RF
4. Dunn - LF
5. Phillips - 2B
6. Votto - 1B
7. Encarnation - 3B
8. Bako/Ross - C
9. Pitcher

If you sign Dunn long term that could be a pretty damn good lineup for a few years. The only thing I would look to do is upgrade at catcher and center. Other than that I would love to see that lineup for awhile.

thatcoolguy_22
05-31-2008, 01:40 PM
No, When Keppinger comes back you get rid of Griffey for what ever it takes to get him out of town. Doesn't matter if its just a player to be named or what. Losing him in right would free up the lineup so much.

2. Keppinger - SS
3. Bruce - RF
4. Dunn - LF
5. Phillips - 2B
6. Votto - 1B
7. Encarnation - 3B
8. Bako/Ross - C
9. Pitcher

If you sign Dunn long term that could be a pretty damn good lineup for a few years. The only thing I would look to do is upgrade at catcher and center. Other than that I would love to see that lineup for awhile.

It will be hard enough just trading him to a team willing to pick up the prorated portion of his remaining contract let alone picking up a player of any significance. Hairston is crushing right now and is exactly what Corey Patterson was not at the top of the lineup. With Country Kepp in the 2 and Bruce in the 3 we have A LOT of baserunners in front of AD. However does anyone think Jerry Hairston has turned a corner in his career a la brandon Phillips or is he just starting the season on the mother of all hot streaks from a sub par player?

I hoping for the first option... http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/sign/sign0004.gif (http://www.generalfinancecentre.com)

keeganbrick
05-31-2008, 01:45 PM
If you started Keppinger and Hairston at SS and 3B you would have the worst left side of infield defense I have ever seen. That is not going to happen.

What happens when Keppinger and Gonzalez come back? Hairston is playing great now, but most likely will drop off some. I would just stick Keppinger back at SS and bat him lead off and use Hairston off the bench.Honestly, I dont even wanna see Gonzalez back on the field in a Reds uniform.

ChatterRed
05-31-2008, 02:01 PM
The problem is that Hairston is 32 years old and EE is like 24. Does one bad stretch make a career for EE? I love what Hairston is doing, but I still believe EE is just in a slump.

What needs to happen is that someone in the Reds organization needs to have the cahunas to sit Griffey and insert Hairston in the OF, put Keppinger at SS, and leave EE at 3B. The lineup, when Keppinger returns should be this:

CF or RF Hairston
SS Keppinger
CF or RF Bruce
2B Phillips
LF Dunn
3B EE
1B Votto
C Ross/Bako (lefty-righty situations)
P

Those top 3 hitters get on base like there's no tomorrow. We need baserunners. They make things happen.

thatcoolguy_22
05-31-2008, 02:08 PM
The problem is more than likely Hairston regresses towards the norm and Griffey stays in the #3 hole. EE needs to remain at 3rd base. He is still young and does project to be a 25 HR .850 OPS type of player. Not to mention besides the occaisonal errant throw he has the range and glove to win a legitimate gold glove in the future.

However when Kepp comes back he will be the starting SS and Hairston will just fall into the infield's version of the supersub.

gedred69
05-31-2008, 03:25 PM
I suspect as someone posted, Hairston is on a tremendous hot streak. He was hungry for the opportunity to play, and is making the most of it. Could he be this year's version of Billy Hatcher in '90? (That would be cool)! Keppinger will be a lifetime .300+ hitter, to date he is the most professional hitter on this team, with judgement on hold due to small sample, Votto, and Bruce Almighty. EE can be a monster, and then he can be lost. Reminds me of Danny Driessen, the guy the Reds thought was gonna' replace Tony Perez. How many out there remember him? (You'd have to be 45-50+ to remember him day to day). Does anybody else see the same parallel?

schmidty622
06-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Does anyone know when Kepp is eligible to come off the DL?

Revering4Blue
06-01-2008, 10:48 AM
I wouldn't expect EE to be dealt anytime soon for one reason:

EE's future with the Reds may well be in LF in the event Dunn is traded/bolts as a free agent after this year.

NarrowStairs
06-02-2008, 01:35 AM
Hairston cannot play SS long term. His defense there is horrendous.

Blue
06-02-2008, 01:54 AM
Toronto is blowing their golden opportunity to make some noise in the AL East while the Yankees are down. Maybe this offseason they'll be interested in unloading some contracts and we could get Scott Rolen?

levydl
06-02-2008, 11:19 AM
Hairston's batting average on balls in play is close to .400 right now. He's due to come back to earth soon. He's 32 years old, a member of the Mitchell Report hall of shame, and was a non-roster invitee that didn't make the Reds out of spring training. No way he keeps this up (though it's been fun while he's been doing it).

Encarnacion is still a young buck. We need his right handed bat, as others have said.

fewfirstchoice
06-02-2008, 11:24 AM
When Keppinger and Gonzo get off the DL and the Reds trade JR. and EE heres what the Reds lineup should look like.

1) Hairston - CF
2) Bruce(hes hit great there so far so why move him and it helps break up the lefty righty thing) - RF
3) Keppinger - 3B
4) Dunn - LF
5) Phillips - 2B
6) Votto - 1B
7) Gonzo - SS
8) Ross/Bako - C

It goes righty lefty like Baker likes and it looks like a solid lineup to me.

Hondo
06-02-2008, 11:26 AM
I hope Walt decides to make a BIG splash in next years Free Agent Market and sign Chipper Jones to play Third Base for the Reds... He would Solve a lot of problems...

And I remeber him saying about 5-6 years ago he could imagine playing for the Reds... The last time he was close to being a Free - Agent...

I also want the Reds to sign Kyle Farnsworth, but a lot of people here don't like him... I say TRADE EE for something this team could use... Like a Catching Prospect.

ChatterRed
06-02-2008, 11:53 AM
I like EE, but would not be opposed to a trade for the right return. Also, veteran leadership from a guy who's been there, couldn't hurt.

berryluther
06-02-2008, 12:44 PM

2. Keppinger - SS
3. Bruce - RF
4. Dunn - LF
5. Phillips - 2B
6. Votto - 1B
7. Encarnation - 3B
8. Bako/Ross - C
9. Pitcher

+1

I agree totally. I am betting Dunn's resurgence earns him a LTC. If we are to get anything for Griffey we are going to have to pay quite a bit of his contract.

BLEEDS
06-02-2008, 04:56 PM
When Keppinger and Gonzo get off the DL and the Reds trade JR. and EE heres what the Reds lineup should look like.

1) Hairston - CF
2) Bruce(hes hit great there so far so why move him and it helps break up the lefty righty thing) - RF
3) Keppinger - 3B
4) Dunn - LF
5) Phillips - 2B
6) Votto - 1B
7) Gonzo - SS
8) Ross/Bako - C

It goes righty lefty like Baker likes and it looks like a solid lineup to me.

Keppinger in the 3 hole?!?!? And Dusty would never move Phillips down in the lineup.

This is the best you can hope for, long-term:

1 - CF du jour
2 - Bruce
3 - BP
4 - Dunn
5 - EE
6 - Votto
7 - Keppinger
8 - C

the 7 hole is reserved for the slumping hitter du mois

PEACE

-BLEEDS