PDA

View Full Version : 2 more promotions

Grande Donkey
05-31-2008, 03:36 PM
Josh Roenicke promoted to (AAA)....coming to Chatt. is former UT baseballer RHP Sean Watson...
Good moves.

reds44
05-31-2008, 03:38 PM
I like how Walt is handeling the minor league system. Very agressive. I still would like to see Cumberland promoted, though.

Screwball
05-31-2008, 03:39 PM
Good moves.

Agreed. I'm excited to see how Roenicke fares against AAA hitters. I'd like to see him up in Cincy sometime this summer.

Blue
05-31-2008, 03:39 PM
Hopefully the big league bullpen, which has a solid long-term foundation in Cordero, Bray, and Burton, will be getting some help in the near future.

dougdirt
05-31-2008, 03:41 PM
I really like what Watson has done lately, but what does Ramon Geronimo have to do to get a promotion?

OnBaseMachine
05-31-2008, 03:43 PM
Very good moves. Watson got off to a slow start but has 30 K's in 20 innings and a sub 1.00 ERA over his last 10 appearances.

Roenicke has a 2.00 ERA and 2 BB/11 K ratio over his last nine innings.

Joseph
05-31-2008, 03:50 PM
I think Watson is going to arrive quickly in Cincinnati. AA this year, maybe even AAA late. He might be in 'nati next season. Roenicke breaks came next year, maybe even a September call up.

_Sir_Charles_
05-31-2008, 03:54 PM
I really like what Watson has done lately, but what does Ramon Geronimo have to do to get a promotion?

After pointing him out to me yesterday, I can only agree. Geronimo's numbers are VERY impressive.

dougdirt
05-31-2008, 03:57 PM
Where is this coming from btw, I can't find it.

AmarilloRed
05-31-2008, 04:01 PM

Good question. Can you provide us with a link to the quote?

OnBaseMachine
05-31-2008, 04:02 PM
IIRC Donkey has some contacts with Chattanooga.

Grande Donkey
05-31-2008, 04:03 PM

Good question. Can you provide us with a link to the quote?

IIRC Donkey has some contacts with Chattanooga.Yep, email from my friend.

Grande Donkey
05-31-2008, 04:12 PM
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?t=t_ros&cid=498

Watson is on the Lookouts roster now. Roenicke is still there but that should change soon.

M2
05-31-2008, 04:16 PM
I like how Walt is handeling the minor league system. Very agressive. I still would like to see Cumberland promoted, though.

I don't mind it with position players and relievers, but that sort of aggressive promotion schedule has failed the Reds in the starter development arena for decades. It doesn't work and no amount of repeating the mistake is going to make it work.

Kc61
05-31-2008, 04:18 PM
I don't know whether Walt's system of promoting people more aggressively is better or worse, but it really does give fans the impression that he wants the org's top talents in Cincy sooner instead of later. If so, this may tie into the draft next week.

Expectation might be to see a lot more polished college prospects than under Dan and Wayne. Just seems like Walt may have less patience for cultivating teenaged prospects.

In any event, Roenicke and Watson are two of the key people in this organization, the two best prospects for late inning relief. The Reds have a need for more good late inning relief arms at the major league level. Hopefully these two will thrive at the new levels.

OnBaseMachine
05-31-2008, 04:25 PM
I would love to see a scouting report on Ramon Geronimo. He's a bit older for the level (24) but he's totally dominating FSL hitters right now. I'm curious to know what kind of stuff he has. He pitched in Dayton last season so surely someone on here has seen him pitch. If so, could someone enlighten us on how hard he throws and what other pitches he throws?

Falls City Beer
05-31-2008, 04:32 PM
Walt promotes bullpen arms. Aside from Izzy the guy has built his bullpens from within--knows when an arm has a bullpen ceiling and promotes. He doesn't necessarily do the same with starters.

In fact, he wisely broke Wainwright in the "bullpen-to-starter" way.

Still, I'd hardly call these two promotions a sign of "aggressiveness."

Kc61
05-31-2008, 06:24 PM
Walt promotes bullpen arms. Aside from Izzy the guy has built his bullpens from within--knows when an arm has a bullpen ceiling and promotes. He doesn't necessarily do the same with starters.

In fact, he wisely broke Wainwright in the "bullpen-to-starter" way.

Still, I'd hardly call these two promotions a sign of "aggressiveness."

More aggressive than previous regime, let's put it that way. Last year a lot of movement took place at mid season. This year earlier. And based on performance some GMs would not have moved Roenicke and Watson just yet. Glad Jocketty did so.

OnBaseMachine
05-31-2008, 09:25 PM
From Trent:

* Minor league news: Roenicke takes the spot of Tyler Pelland, who was put on the disabled list with a left tricep inflammation.

http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog

fearofpopvol1
05-31-2008, 10:47 PM
I don't mind it with position players and relievers, but that sort of aggressive promotion schedule has failed the Reds in the starter development arena for decades. It doesn't work and no amount of repeating the mistake is going to make it work.

I don't think, thus far, Jocketty has been overly aggressive with the promoting. He's essentially promoting the players that should be promoted whereas Wayne would've likely waited longer. I do agree with you though that I don't want to see any pitchers promoted that shouldn't be. I think thus far though he's handled the pitchers appropriately.

BuckeyeRedleg
05-31-2008, 10:55 PM
I would bet a guy like Guevara would have gotten a chance under Walt.

flyer85
06-01-2008, 12:44 AM
after attending the first two games of the Altanta series there is little doubt that Mercker and Weathers are running on fumes. mercker fastball was 85-87 and weathers about the same.

I hope Fogg's start was his last as a Red.

Kingspoint
06-01-2008, 03:35 AM

Totally agree.

Kingspoint
06-01-2008, 07:28 PM
after attending the first two games of the Altanta series there is little doubt that Mercker and Weathers are running on fumes. mercker fastball was 85-87 and weathers about the same.

I hope Fogg's start was his last as a Red.

Those type of fastballs aren't going to work against the next 4 series...Phillies, Marlins, Cardinals, and Red Sox. They better have some major Veteran Savvy.

Blue
06-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Those type of fastballs aren't going to work against the next 4 series...Phillies, Marlins, Cardinals, and Red Sox. They better have some major Veteran Savvy.

GAWD that's an awful thought. I'm feeling a little sick now.