PDA

View Full Version : Could Jay Bruce be at the All-Star game this year?

Handofdeath
06-01-2008, 12:45 AM
I'm being completely serious here. Even if he cools off, I don't know that he wouldn't be picked as a reserve. The Reds will have 1 representing them most likely in Volquez and Cordero has a decent shot but you just can't ignore Bruce. If he continues hitting anywhere near as good as he has been for the next month, I don't see why not?

Homer Bailey
06-01-2008, 01:12 AM
I think Phillips will make it, but I don't think Bruce has enough time. A veteran is more likely to be selected than a rookie that missed almost two months (though not his fault).

Ghosts of 1990
06-01-2008, 01:24 AM
I was wondering the same thought tonight

jhiller21
06-01-2008, 03:02 AM
If he keeps this up in the least bit he'll have a shot at being selected as a reserve outfielder.

Just the sound of the ball off his bat is unreal... it sounds like someone fired a cannonball at a redwood tree.

Carin4Narron
06-01-2008, 11:55 AM
PLEASE:rolleyes:

_Sir_Charles_
06-01-2008, 12:03 PM
"Could Jay Bruce be at the All-Star game this year?"

Sure, with a ticket. As a participant...not a chance. He's doing great right now, but let's be realistic people.

OldRed1966
06-01-2008, 12:04 PM
PLEASE:rolleyes:

Exactly. Come on guys let's be realistic. While Bruce has gotten off to an unbelievable start, there's no way he'll even come close to being considered for next month's game.

Fon Duc Tow
06-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Some people wear Superman pajamas. Superman wears Jay Bruce pajamas.

Jay Bruce can win a game of Connect Four in only three moves.

If you have five dollars and Jay Bruce has five dollars, Jay Bruce has more money than you.

There is no 'ctrl' button on Jay Bruce's computer. Jay Bruce is always in control.

Jay Bruce can eat just one Lay's potato chip.

Jay Bruce does not sleep. He waits.

and so on... ;)

_Sir_Charles_
06-01-2008, 02:06 PM
LOL. I love those. I've seen more of them, but they're great regardless.

Oh, and by the way...BRUUUUUUUUCE goes deep again. :O)

Fon Duc Tow
06-01-2008, 02:13 PM
LOL. I love those. I've seen more of them, but they're great regardless.

Oh, and by the way...BRUUUUUUUUCE goes deep again. :O)

Hehe I know. Thats what prompted my outburst. :D

Jr's Boy
06-01-2008, 02:31 PM
No,too early.

realreds1
06-01-2008, 05:46 PM
I'm being completely serious here. Even if he cools off, I don't know that he wouldn't be picked as a reserve. The Reds will have 1 representing them most likely in Volquez and Cordero has a decent shot but you just can't ignore Bruce. If he continues hitting anywhere near as good as he has been for the next month, I don't see why not?

Only if Junior takes him. :cool:

aerontg
06-01-2008, 07:50 PM

If you have five dollars and Jay Bruce has five dollars, Jay Bruce has more money than you.

There is no 'ctrl' button on Jay Bruce's computer. Jay Bruce is always in control.

and so on... ;)

Where on EARTH did you hear those? :D

ryanparkersongs
06-01-2008, 08:20 PM
I went to the game yesterday and I must say the energy that Bruce has brought to the park and the Reds is fantastic...here's my song about it!
http://www.ryanparkersongs.com/2008/06/jay-bruce-almighty.html

_Sir_Charles_
06-01-2008, 09:33 PM

Actually, someone wrote another one in today's game thread right after Jay drew a 4 pitch walk.

Raisor: "The Bruce WALKS among us."
Matt700wlw: "He doesn't walk, the ground moves for him."

Classic. :O)

Fon Duc Tow
06-01-2008, 10:15 PM

Jay Bruce is not hung like a horse. Horses are hung like Jay Bruce.

When Jay Bruce crosses the street, the cars have to look both ways.

Jay Bruce sleeps with a night light. Not because Jay Bruce is afraid of the dark, but the dark is afraid of Jay Bruce.

When Jay Bruce does a pushup, he isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the Earth down.

Jay Bruce doesn't wear a watch, HE decides what time it is.

When you open a can of whoop-ass, Jay Bruce jumps out.

It takes Jay Bruce 20 minutes to watch 60 Minutes.

When Jay Bruce goes swimming he doesn't get wet, the water gets Jay Bruced.

SarasotaFan
06-01-2008, 10:21 PM
ok quit rephrasing chuck norris....

Krovvy Red
06-01-2008, 11:51 PM
There is no such thing as gravity. Jay Bruce just refuses to let anything but his home runs leave the earth's surface.

Jay Bruce has travelled to Mars. That's why there are no signs of life there.

Justin Upton once challenged Jay Bruce to a home run contest. Upton hit a ball 500 feet. Bruce hit Upton 501 feet.

Handofdeath
06-02-2008, 12:02 AM
My whole point is in a month when the ASG is played, if the NL starts picking the reserve OF's or if a OF gets hurt last minute he MIGHT be considered. A month and a half in the Bigs, and assuming he cools off a little, it's hard to ignore a guy with a line of .380/.475/.900. It's a reach, I know, but name a player in history who's come out of the gate like this.

tommycash
06-02-2008, 12:08 AM
I don't think he makes it even if he hits 30 home runs and is still hitting .500 by the ASG. Why you say. Because ever since the Big Red Machine Died, the Reds have never got any respect. Look at Aaron Harang last year. Volquez is getting some press, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make the team. The only time the Reds get face time on ESPN is when they lose to the Braves, Mets, or Cubs, or when Griffey is mentioned.

Krovvy Red
06-02-2008, 01:41 AM
I don't think he makes it even if he hits 30 home runs and is still hitting .500 by the ASG. Why you say. Because ever since the Big Red Machine Died, the Reds have never got any respect. Look at Aaron Harang last year. Volquez is getting some press, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't make the team. The only time the Reds get face time on ESPN is when they lose to the Braves, Mets, or Cubs, or when Griffey is mentioned.

I don't buy into this anymore. ESPN has been all over the young talent on this team this season. I think MLB and the national media recognize the value of marketing these players, making more lesser-heard-from teams more visible, and especially returning teams with history like the Reds to the forefront.

And what's to stop us from voting him in as the extra man? Sox fans banded together and got Okajima in last year. I assume we could get support behind Master Bruce.

wvu-red-fan
06-02-2008, 11:26 AM
It's a reach, I know, but name a player in history who's come out of the gate like this.

Kevin Maas?

Handofdeath
06-02-2008, 11:53 AM
Kevin Maas?

Not quite, Bruce is doing quite a bit better. I know that Gerald Perry had a fantastic start with the Braves but Bruce has just been mindblowing so far.

BlastFurnace
06-02-2008, 01:32 PM

and so on... ;)

Keep them coming....this is hilarious.

EddieMilner
06-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Keep them coming....this is hilarious.

Please don't keep them coming. If you want to read more go here (http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/) and replace Chcuk Norris with Jay Bruce. You will be amused for a week.

Fon Duc Tow
06-02-2008, 10:33 PM
Please don't keep them coming. If you want to read more go here (http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/) and replace Chcuk Norris with Jay Bruce. You will be amused for a week.

:D he's right, y'know...

Ghosts of 1990
06-02-2008, 11:01 PM
Not quite, Bruce is doing quite a bit better. I know that Gerald Perry had a fantastic start with the Braves but Bruce has just been mindblowing so far.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/perryge01.shtml

Gerald Perry? What are you talking about man...

Hit .360 in 45 AB but not much else to speak of.... for a decade

Handofdeath
06-03-2008, 07:44 PM
http://www.baseball-reference.com/p/perryge01.shtml

Gerald Perry? What are you talking about man...

Hit .360 in 45 AB but not much else to speak of.... for a decade

I'm talking about his first 4 or 5 games when he first came into the league.
After his first 22 AB's his line was .368/.435/.632. He was a late season callup I think. He basically pinch hit for the rest of the season but I saw those first few games he played and he was pretty hot to start out. He just became the hitting coach for the Cubs this season.

Kingspoint
06-04-2008, 05:39 AM
He could make the All-Star game if instead his name was "Bruce Lee", and then he could pull a Yao Ming with the All-Star Voting.