PDA

View Full Version : Did Leo Mazzone seem a little weird in the Fox broadcast?

Wheelhouse
06-01-2008, 01:05 AM
Or is it just me? I think Thom was a little weirded out. Mazzone is almost as weird as John Kruk doing college womens softball (which he is doing!)

Joseph
06-01-2008, 01:32 AM
He laughed a lot at his own jokes, thats for sure.

fearofpopvol1
06-01-2008, 01:48 AM
If I'm not mistaken, he doesn't really have any booth experience.

I didn't see the telecast, but most people seemed to enjoy him. Of the clips I saw, his laugh was pretty infectious I thought.

Wheelhouse
06-01-2008, 01:52 AM
I like Leo Mazzone, but I'd love to hear Thom's commentary on the experience.

GAC
06-01-2008, 06:43 AM
Did he use the term "birth sack" on the air (aka Cowboy)? :lol:

redsrule2500
06-01-2008, 07:10 AM
I dunno, but I couldnt stand him! Most annoying announcer in a long time!

Rounding Third
06-01-2008, 08:09 AM
The best part of the entire broadcast.

Freel is called safe at home and a second later Mazzone says, "Uh oh, somebody is going to get ejected." I died at that point, just the way he said it about Bobby.

Spitball
06-01-2008, 08:29 AM
I really liked Mazzone's commentary, but it was pretty obvious he had little experience in the booth.

redsmetz
06-01-2008, 08:35 AM
I really liked Mazzone's commentary, but it was pretty obvious he had little experience in the booth.

I think this names it exactly. The laugh was a little "off" - stood on its own, just out there, but he's clearly raw. There was little too much "homer" to his commentary, but that's tough to break out of after so many years with the Braves. He'd talk about what the pitcher needed to and I'm going, "no, don't do that!", but it wasn't blatant (so maybe "homer" is too harsh a term).

I will say this, Thom has some work to do to smooth out the rapport, to help Mazzone come along as an announcer. Thom's questions occasionally became to verbose in their introduction and wasn't quite sure why. Brennaman's a good game caller and he can make Mazzone shine, much like Marty made Nuxie a better announcer.

I did think, no offense to Dick Pole, that I'd love to have Mazzone associated with the organization in some way.

TeamBoone
06-01-2008, 08:59 AM
I thought he was fine and didn't notice the "homerism" either. He said some good things about the Braves and some good things about the Reds... pretty even Steven.

I really really like Thom. He does a nice job.

sonny
06-01-2008, 10:10 AM
I really enjoyed Leo in the booth. he seemed like pretty jovial in the booth, just enjoying talking about baseball. He had some good insight and wasn't afraid to speak his mind.

Always Red
06-01-2008, 10:15 AM
I thought Mazzone did just fine. Good insights about pitching- especially how he doesn't like most pitchers to throw to the inside corner, because most of them can't hit the spot, and when they miss they are out over the plate, and get hit hard. He prefers pitchers to hammer the outside corner, low and away, as most all Atlanta pitchers have done over the years.

Hey, if these guys all sounded the same, life would be boring, eh?? :D

Mazzone sure was cracking himself up, all day long. By the end of the game, every time he was giggling at himself I wound up laughing out loud, too. He seemed to be rooting for the Braves, and Thom seemed to be a Reds homer, so none of that bothered me and it all evened out.

Heck yeah, I'd listen to him again. :thumbup:

Matt700wlw
06-01-2008, 10:51 AM
They shouldn't have let him leave town without some sort of contract to be a part of this organization....

If he would want to be a part of it, of course.

I wouldn't mind his fingerprint here.

Marc D
06-01-2008, 10:57 AM
Leo Mazzone was a treat to listen to. I know lots of southerners who laugh like that after almost everything they say, so I guess I'm just used to it. Its a fairly common speech pattern in my experience.

As far as the insight, humor and experience he brought to the table its second to none. If he's looking for a job I'd LOVE for it to be with the Reds organization either in the booth or perferably the dugout.

fearofpopvol1
06-01-2008, 02:20 PM
I think this names it exactly. The laugh was a little "off" - stood on its own, just out there, but he's clearly raw. There was little too much "homer" to his commentary, but that's tough to break out of after so many years with the Braves. He'd talk about what the pitcher needed to and I'm going, "no, don't do that!", but it wasn't blatant (so maybe "homer" is too harsh a term).

I will say this, Thom has some work to do to smooth out the rapport, to help Mazzone come along as an announcer. Thom's questions occasionally became to verbose in their introduction and wasn't quite sure why. Brennaman's a good game caller and he can make Mazzone shine, much like Marty made Nuxie a better announcer.

I did think, no offense to Dick Pole, that I'd love to have Mazzone associated with the organization in some way.

I didn't watch the telecast, but I watched the highlight clips, and Thom showed WAY more homerism than Leo did in those. I think the point of having Leo was so each broadcaster could be a homer about their team. I could be wrong though.

Blitz Dorsey
06-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Very raw as an announcer but very insightful. Often was a few steps ahead of the game and was always thinking along with both pitchers. He did slip in a "we" when talking about the Braves, but I forgive him for that. If he was doing it after being in the booth a while, heck no. But the guy is very new and was actually pretty interesting. But yeah, he needs to tone down the laughter a little bit so people don't think he's loony tunes. Thom even ripped on him once in good fun, "You didn't laugh this much in the dugout, did you?"

And I agree Boonie, Thom is very good. I've been saying that since last year. I think people just rip on him because every announcer is going to get ripped. But Thom is light years better than someone like George Grande (not saying much) and has even surpassed his HOF father as the best PBP man in the Reds' organization. Thom is a national pro, but he doesn't try and act too big time when he's doing local Reds games. Could you imagine Welsh's ego if he was a national guy on a consistent basis like Thom? The one thing I like about George Grande is that he doesn't have an ego, but all his other faults trump that.

I also agree. Mazzone for Dick Pole would be great. Beyond having one of the funniest names in the biz, Dick Pole is just one of those guys who has been around baseball so long and has never been known as a great pitching coach. He hasn't been a joke by any means, but I would love a true pitching guru like Leo Mazzone to help mold our young pitching staff. Mario Soto would be great as well, but he doesn't want to do any more than his current role (helping out in spring training and then 1-2 times during the season for short stints).

reds44
06-01-2008, 02:54 PM
I thought he was fine and didn't notice the "homerism" either. He said some good things about the Braves and some good things about the Reds... pretty even Steven.

I really really like Thom. He does a nice job.
Even if there was some homerism envoled, I'm sure Braves fans could complain about some homerism from Thom considering he is our announcer.

bucksfan2
06-01-2008, 05:09 PM
I really enjoyed listening to Leo. He was great when talking about pitchers. He did his best to simplify pitching. It sounded like when he was a pitching coach he kept it simple. When a ball was hard hit he would mention the spot where it was supposed to be and the spot it was. He talked in legnth about his philosophy of pitching, working the outside corner and in. He also talked about the value of having a Maddux or Galvine on your staff when dealing with the young pitchers.

I am suprised that he isn't the pitching coach in Atlanta right now. If I were the reds I would approach him about giving him a paying job with the club. He was frank, honest, and not afraid to say anything. I really enjoyed listening to him.

MrCinatit
06-01-2008, 05:35 PM
I really enjoyed listening to Leo - the man obviously loves the game very much.

redsmetz
06-01-2008, 06:22 PM
I really enjoyed listening to Leo. He was great when talking about pitchers. He did his best to simplify pitching. It sounded like when he was a pitching coach he kept it simple. When a ball was hard hit he would mention the spot where it was supposed to be and the spot it was. He talked in legnth about his philosophy of pitching, working the outside corner and in. He also talked about the value of having a Maddux or Galvine on your staff when dealing with the young pitchers.

I am suprised that he isn't the pitching coach in Atlanta right now. If I were the reds I would approach him about giving him a paying job with the club. He was frank, honest, and not afraid to say anything. I really enjoyed listening to him.

I was equally impressed with Tom Glavine in the brief interview they did with him. He struck me as smart and articulate, somewhat self-effacing. I don't think I've ever heard him interviewed.