PDA

View Full Version : Jay Bruce makes me feel 10 years old all over again

dougdirt
06-01-2008, 05:32 AM
Watching this kid play baseball is just exciting in a way that baseball hasn't been on an individual level for me since Ken Griffey Jr was in Seattle. I remember sneaking into the living room for Wednesday and Sunday night baseball to see Griffey play late as a young kid. Watching him play was amazing and it just gave me such a feel of joy. Fast forward a few years and that is exactly how Jay Bruce makes me feel about baseball. Every time he steps to the plate, there is excitement in me. I just don't know how else to describe it, its just awesome. :beerme:

jojo
06-01-2008, 08:26 AM
Watching this kid play baseball is just exciting in a way that baseball hasn't been on an individual level for me since Ken Griffey Jr was in Seattle. I remember sneaking into the living room for Wednesday and Sunday night baseball to see Griffey play late as a young kid. Watching him play was amazing and it just gave me such a feel of joy. Fast forward a few years and that is exactly how Jay Bruce makes me feel about baseball. Every time he steps to the plate, there is excitement in me. I just don't know how else to describe it, its just awesome. :beerme:

Watching him play kind of makes you want to grab your glove and bat and find a pick up game doesn't he?

smith288
06-01-2008, 10:04 AM
He brings excitement back for sure.

StillFunkyB
06-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Watching him play kind of makes you want to grab your glove and bat and find a pick up game doesn't he?

QFT.

red-in-la
06-01-2008, 04:38 PM
I agree, reminds me of Johnny Bench as a youngster.

Sea Ray
06-01-2008, 05:13 PM
The energy he's brought to this team is just incredible to see. Which brings me to an interesting what if...

Do you think Krivsky second guesses himself for not bringing Bruce north for Opening Day? He might have energized this offense into a few more April wins and in so doing might have saved his job. If this team was playing energized baseball like it is now I doubt Kriv would have been fired. Instead Walt gets to look like a genius and tweak this young talented team into contention for years to come. That blunder could give WK nightmares for years to come.

membengal
06-01-2008, 05:18 PM
at the least, there should be some second guessing that he was not on this team by early may.

Thank goodness he is finally here now...

oregonred
06-01-2008, 05:30 PM
The energy he's brought to this team is just incredible to see. Which brings me to an interesting what if...

Do you think Krivsky second guesses himself for not bringing Bruce north for Opening Day? He might have energized this offense into a few more April wins and in so doing might have saved his job. If this team was playing energized baseball like it is now I doubt Kriv would have been fired. Instead Walt gets to look like a genius and tweak this young talented team into contention for years to come. That blunder could give WK nightmares for years to come.

You bet. Wouldn't you?

If Wayne thought in any way that his job was on the line after only three weeks he would have done a lot of things differently to maximize short term results. It was just ridiculously Bush League for him to get whacked in April.

Aronchis
06-01-2008, 06:03 PM
Leaving Bruce down in AAA for most of May was the right thing to do emotionally.

He was struggling. Once he got hot and exploded, it was time. Pulling the right levers with young talent is always critical mentally.

It may have cost the Reds a few wins in the middle, but helped Jay's mental state a good deal.

Screwball
06-01-2008, 10:21 PM
Watching Jay Bruce play reminds me a lot of watching Josh Hamilton. You just know you're seeing something special and an incredible talent when either steps into the box.

BTW, red-in-la, that's an awesome avatar. :thumbup:

cincrazy
06-01-2008, 10:39 PM
Every time Jay Bruce came to bat today, I got butterflies. I've seen him in person twice now, once in his debut, and again tonight. And each time I get excited. That doesn't happen much anymore for me.

Caveat Emperor
06-01-2008, 10:46 PM
Leaving Bruce down in AAA for most of May was the right thing to do emotionally.

Good point.

By Bruce's own admission, he was pushing himself to try and "put on a show" to make the team. He would have, likely, continued to push himself to justify his place on the lineup if he'd come north after the mediocre spring.

By holding him back in Louisville and letting him be successful, it allowed him to relax and get into a groove. He came to Cincinnati brimming with confidence and a sense that he earned his spot between Dunn and Griffey in the outfield instead of walking out there with his tail between his legs and thinking he needed to prove he belonged.

Smart management often goes beyond numbers, projection and hype. This was one of those cases, IMO.

15fan
06-01-2008, 10:48 PM
I expect that by the end of this week, Jay Bruce will have discovered a cure for cancer, solved the mystery of cold fusion, and negotiated a lasting peace in the Middle East.

Not sure how he'll top that the following week.

But we'll worry about that next Sunday night.

WebScorpion
06-02-2008, 01:13 PM
His game actually reminds me of another great Reds right fielder who was gone before I was 10...I used to see him a lot when I was 8 though. ;) Frank Robinson. It was the hard slide into second base the other night that gave me the flashback. Robbie was always like that...he'd be fair and not try to injure people, but he was gonna take you out of the play if he could. My Grandpa had season tickets down the right field line at Crosley and He used to talk to Robbie (that's what he called him) all the time. Crosley was weird like that...the players went from clubhouse to dugout by passing through the stands and players would always chat with their fans. Anyway, I'm getting off subject here. Jay Bruce reminds me of Frank Robinson because when they hit the ball it stays hit! So yea, he takes me back too...to when I was eight. :thumbup:

redsmetz
06-02-2008, 04:59 PM

I don't think there's any second guessing to do, in my opinion. I think Jay Bruce is producing the way he is right now because he went down to Louisville to perfect his game. I don't think Jay Bruce going north with the team starts like this, period. I really don't.

Krivsky will forever remain a fall guy around here, but he placed this organization on considerably solid footing and wasn't permitted to see it to its fruition. We all knew Bruce would be here some time this year, most like sooner than later. Jocketty's just following through with what was intended from the start of the season, I think.

OldRightHander
06-02-2008, 06:42 PM
I don't think there's any second guessing to do, in my opinion. I think Jay Bruce is producing the way he is right now because he went down to Louisville to perfect his game. I don't think Jay Bruce going north with the team starts like this, period. I really don't.

Krivsky will forever remain a fall guy around here, but he placed this organization on considerably solid footing and wasn't permitted to see it to its fruition. We all knew Bruce would be here some time this year, most like sooner than later. Jocketty's just following through with what was intended from the start of the season, I think.

I tend to agree with you there. His spring wasn't exactly that great and the time in Louisville might have made him hungrier.

You know what though? I find myself looking at the clock and saying to myself, "It's only an hour and a half until game time." I wasn't doing that a couple weeks ago.

StillFunkyB
06-02-2008, 06:52 PM
Smart management often goes beyond numbers, projection and hype. This was one of those cases, IMO.

Not too long ago you couldn't utter the words "smart", and "management" to describe anything Cincinnati Reds.

redsmetz
06-02-2008, 07:25 PM
I tend to agree with you there. His spring wasn't exactly that great and the time in Louisville might have made him hungrier.

You know what though? I find myself looking at the clock and saying to myself, "It's only an hour and a half until game time." I wasn't doing that a couple weeks ago.

Amen! It's my daughter's birthday today and we're going to dinner, but then I know I have dishes to do and I need to soak a sore foot, which means I have an excuse to just listen to the game!

Sea Ray
06-03-2008, 12:54 PM
Amen! It's my daughter's birthday today and we're going to dinner, but then I know I have dishes to do and I need to soak a sore foot, which means I have an excuse to just listen to the game!

Just wonderin', if you're going (out) to dinner why do you have to do dishes? Hope your foot feels better but at least there are Reds games to get you through the rehab

redsmetz
06-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Just wonderin', if you're going (out) to dinner why do you have to do dishes? Hope your foot feels better but at least there are Reds games to get you through the rehab

Oh,those dishes were from breakfast; I just rinse them off and then do all the dishes at the same time - although with my other daughter and my son being home for the summer, I'll probably have to do them twice now. Oy vay!

Thanks for the good wishes on the foot. Just have to keep soaking it. I think it's getting better.