PDA

View Full Version : Marty's call of Bruce walkoff?

redsrule2500
06-01-2008, 07:21 AM
I really want this mp3! Matt, or anyone else able to supply it???????

Thanks! :beerme:

Strikes Out Looking
06-01-2008, 07:43 AM
It wasn't Marty making the call. It was the Cowboy and it was more matter of fact than anything.

redsrule2500
06-01-2008, 08:07 AM
It wasn't Marty making the call. It was the Cowboy and it was more matter of fact than anything.

awwww that sucks...oh well, nevermind

Rounding Third
06-01-2008, 09:10 AM
awwww that sucks...oh well, nevermind

I have the exact same feeling. Jeff shouldn't be allowed near a microphone.

redsmetz
06-01-2008, 09:41 AM

I'm not really down on Brantley. He brings some intelligence to his game calling (frankly, he would make a good coach, IMO). I have two complaints. The first is his constant use of the same phrases in his calling; the primary one being "right down Broadway".

The other is more significant and it's precisely showed in his call last night. He has a terrible, terrible habit of calling the result and not describing the action that's leading up to the result. So last night's call was something along the lines of "there it is" or something like that. The crescendo of drama was completely absent. It's maddening because the picture in your mind's eye has been completely short circuited. Nuxie would go crazy, but he'd be telling you the story as it unfolded (even with his "get out here" calls). It's really the worst part of Brantley's game calling and somebody needs to work with him on it. Ultimately calling a ballgame is telling a story and he's not doing that.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-01-2008, 09:54 AM
Brantley should do color on TV and that is it.

He cannot do play by play, especially on the radio.

TeamBoone
06-01-2008, 09:59 AM
I'm surprised that Marty wasn't doing the 10th inning. Isn't that unusual?

Rounding Third
06-01-2008, 10:20 AM
I'm not really down on Brantley. He brings some intelligence to his game calling

I remember a Reds triva question when the question was something like..."which of these former Reds players became the manager for the Giants and led them to a division championship?"

Jeff picked somebody and when Marty told him the answer was somebody else, Jeff said "Oh I didn't consider him because he wasn't a former Red." Marty was stunned and spent several minutes explaining to Jeff that the question was "Which of these FORMER REDS...." Jeff would have none of it and it sounded like Marty was just about done with Jeff.

buckeyenut
06-01-2008, 10:32 AM
I'm not really down on Brantley. He brings some intelligence to his game calling (frankly, he would make a good coach, IMO). I have two complaints. The first is his constant use of the same phrases in his calling; the primary one being "right down Broadway".

The other is more significant and it's precisely showed in his call last night. He has a terrible, terrible habit of calling the result and not describing the action that's leading up to the result. So last night's call was something along the lines of "there it is" or something like that. The crescendo of drama was completely absent. It's maddening because the picture in your mind's eye has been completely short circuited. Nuxie would go crazy, but he'd be telling you the story as it unfolded (even with his "get out here" calls). It's really the worst part of Brantley's game calling and somebody needs to work with him on it. Ultimately calling a ballgame is telling a story and he's not doing that.

I will say, having watched the replay, there wasn't a lot of drama on that one. Bruce CRUSHED and it was 20 rows up on a rocket! That said, he has to do something for the listener.

redsmetz
06-01-2008, 10:49 AM
I will say, having watched the replay, there wasn't a lot of drama on that one. Bruce CRUSHED and it was 20 rows up on a rocket! That said, he has to do something for the listener.

I agree it was a no doubter and you're right, you've got to walk us through the drama.

Just as a comparison, I went back to the Cleveland game with Dunn's home run. The video has Thom doing the call. Another no doubter, but here's Thom's telling the very immediate story: "High drive and Dunn has beaten the Indians again!" Now granted, Thom was doing the TV broadcast and had the image to go with it. Again, yesterday, it was "In the air and the Reds win".

I can't find the audio of Brantley's call (or for that matter any of the other games - they used to include audio clips along with the video in the past), but it was no description at all. It was something like "That's it" or simply "the Reds win".

OldRightHander
06-01-2008, 11:05 AM
I'm surprised that Marty wasn't doing the 10th inning. Isn't that unusual?

Marty never did the 10th. Remember Billy Bates?

Rounding Third
06-01-2008, 11:41 AM
I agree it was a no doubter and you're right, you've got to walk us through the drama.

Just as a comparison, I went back to the Cleveland game with Dunn's home run. The video has Thom doing the call. Another no doubter, but here's Thom's telling the very immediate story: "High drive and Dunn has beaten the Indians again!" Now granted, Thom was doing the TV broadcast and had the image to go with it. Again, yesterday, it was "In the air and the Reds win".

I can't find the audio of Brantley's call (or for that matter any of the other games - they used to include audio clips along with the video in the past), but it was no description at all. It was something like "That's it" or simply "the Reds win".

Here was Thom:

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200805312808444

Sea Ray
06-01-2008, 11:48 AM
Marty never did the 10th. Remember Billy Bates?

Marty would never do a 10th inning. It's against his religion to do more than 2 innings in a row. It's just too taxing...

Matt700wlw
06-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Marty would never do a 10th inning. It's against his religion to do more than 2 innings in a row. It's just too taxing...

He's done the entire game by himself before...

Rounding Third
06-01-2008, 11:50 AM

I believe he even did one this year in spring training by himself.

Sea Ray
06-01-2008, 11:54 AM

When was this?

Matt700wlw
06-01-2008, 11:55 AM
When was this?

I know he did at least one in spring training.....and I thought he already did one this season. (Mother's Day maybe??) He told Tom and/or Jeff to take the day off to be with their families...

OldXOhio
06-01-2008, 12:06 PM

I think you're right on the money here. Brantley's call of such a memorable event was nothing short of miserable. Someone mentioned in a previous thread that Brantley, while not very good in any format, is much better on TV. I'd say that's absolutely the case for one reason: he's strictly the color guy there. It's his play-by-play that's so bad. As you said, it was on full display in the 10th yesterday. One can only hope that Marty has the mic, regardless of inning, everytime Junior comes to the plate until he gets 600.

VR
06-01-2008, 12:10 PM
I actually thought Jeff did pretty good on the call, as did Thom.

The aggravating thing is they have about 3 seconds before the 1,436 postgame commercials start playing.

Unassisted
06-01-2008, 12:16 PM
He's done the entire game by himself before...I don't believe anyone here doubts that he's capable of it. We're just annoyed that he's permitted to opt out of it in favor of the laconic Mr. Brantley.

Matt700wlw
06-01-2008, 12:23 PM
The format's been set for years and years....it's not changing.

Wheelhouse
06-01-2008, 12:32 PM
I have the exact same feeling. Jeff shouldn't be allowed near a microphone.

I like the Cowboy! He's very different, but I like him. Makes me laugh. I don't think he'll be known for the terrific call, but for the other 99.9% of the time he's a hoot.

WVRedsFan
06-01-2008, 12:42 PM

Brantly, as a color commentator is nearly without peer. His pbp is simply hard to lisen to, but so was Joe's for the first five years. He'll get better. He's never done it before if I remember correctlyh.

Mainspark
06-01-2008, 12:42 PM
For many years, Joe Nuxhall did the play by play in the third and seventh innings. Am I correct in recalling that was at some point expanded to include the fourth as well?
Marty and whatever partner he has worked with have always done alternating innings in games that go beyond nine.
Worst case scenario for play-by-play call for Griffey's 600th: George on TV ("Oh, my!") and the Cowboy on the radio.

Matt700wlw
06-01-2008, 12:50 PM
For many years, Joe Nuxhall did the play by play in the third and seventh innings. Am I correct in recalling that was at some point expanded to include the fourth as well?
Marty and whatever partner he has worked with have always done alternating innings in games that go beyond nine.
Worst case scenario for play-by-play call for Griffey's 600th: George on TV ("Oh, my!") and the Cowboy on the radio.

For Griffey's 500, he (being Griffey) asked Marty to call it...so Marty would step in and call his at bats even if it wasn't his inning....could happen again.

Of course, people on here thought it was just some ego trip thing by Marty when it was nothing of the sort.

smith288
06-01-2008, 01:06 PM
I like going to forums of the opponent and seeing their reactions.

Like this call (http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=404&nav=messages&webtag=ml-braves&tid=111138)

redsrule2500
06-01-2008, 01:14 PM
I like going to forums of the opponent and seeing their reactions.

Like this call (http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=404&nav=messages&webtag=ml-braves&tid=111138)

haha I always do that too....so much fun to bask in their misery :p:

reds44
06-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Here was Thom:

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200805312808444
I still can't get over the look Bruce gives while the ball is traveling over the fence. It's like he is thinking, "it's that easy."