PDA

View Full Version : Majewski back/Fogg to the DL

JaxRed
06-01-2008, 08:13 AM
"Louisville added another pitching change after last night's game. Middle reliever Gary Majewski (2-1, 3.76 ERA) was called up by Cincinnati."

From Louisville CJ

Hoosier Red
06-01-2008, 08:16 AM
Well, fairs' fair. He's pitched well down there.
Of course so has Herrera, but I think this move will be to sit the guy at the end of the bench and be used as emergency pitcher until the #5 spot comes back around.

Kc61
06-01-2008, 08:18 AM
"Louisville added another pitching change after last night's game. Middle reliever Gary Majewski (2-1, 3.76 ERA) was called up by Cincinnati."

From Louisville CJ

Interesting. Perhaps Fogg went down and the Reds are shoring up the bullpen in light of recent heavy use. Just a guess.

Before fans explode on this, Maj has been lights out at AAA lately. Striking out a lot of people. I hope the fans give him a chance after many bad previous stints.

JaxRed
06-01-2008, 08:21 AM
I don't guess Fogg is going to AAA, if it's Fogg I'm guessing DFA. Could also be someone like Weathers with an arm issue we don't know about, or the end of the line for a Valentin.

Always Red
06-01-2008, 09:04 AM
Before fans explode on this, Maj has been lights out at AAA lately. Striking out a lot of people. I hope the fans give him a chance after many bad previous stints.

I do too. He's got a good arm, and when he's locating it well, he's useful in the pen. This team needs help in middle relief! (Plus, it's always cool to have a dead ringer for John Wilkes Booth on your team!)

IMO, Gary Majewsjki, Todd Coffey and Matt Belisle all suffer from the same "disease." On one hand, all three of them have very good arms, can bring it up there, and have good stretches where they can pitch really well.

But on the other hand, they also tend to not change speeds, and when they miss- they all tend to miss right over the heart of the plate.

Mazzone said a couple of useful things yesterday in the broadcast. First, that he'd rather have guys pitching low and away, and if they miss, it's a ball, rather than try to pitch to the inside corner, and if they miss it's a HR. Secondly, that any decent MLB hitter can time any fastball thrown, if that's all that is thrown to them.

icehole3
06-01-2008, 09:17 AM
I really dont like this move, as long as Magic man is at the end of the bench Im good, if he sees action Im looking straight at Dusty on this, Im sorry Ive given Magic the benefit of the doubt about 5 times to many.

http://www.sternfannetwork.com/forum/images/smilies/Eyes/uh-oh.gif

Rounding Third
06-01-2008, 09:21 AM
I really dont like this move, as long as Magic man is at the end of the bench Im good, if he sees action Im looking straight at Dusty on this, Im sorry Ive given Magic the benefit of the doubt about 5 times to many.

http://www.sternfannetwork.com/forum/images/smilies/Eyes/uh-oh.gif

Not if, but when.

He will get plenty of PT.

Degenerate39
06-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Not exactly who I thought would get the call. Maybe they'll put Weathers on the DL for Majewski. Send Fogg down and call up Maloney later.

membengal
06-01-2008, 09:55 AM
I will sure give him a chance. The 'pen is absolutely gassed, and it was imperative they get a fresh arm up here to be ready to come in for Cueto somewhere around the 6th.

I am hoping Fogg is DFA, and then another move is made tomorrow to get Maloney up here to pitch mid-week. Whatever else Maloney's ceiling is, or isn't, I would rather give the kid a chance to start his journey than watch Fogg face the Phillies lefties in Philly. That will be ugly...

Tom Servo
06-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Great.

mth123
06-01-2008, 10:44 AM
IMO, Gary Majewsjki, Todd Coffey and Matt Belisle all suffer from the same "disease." On one hand, all three of them have very good arms, can bring it up there, and have good stretches where they can pitch really well.

I think all three of these guys buckled under the weight of the expectations here. Maj trying to justify "the Trade," Coffey as the key arm in the pen, and Belisle trying to solidify the back of the rotation. I think they could go on to decent careers as middle relief guys some where when the expectations are low and they're just brought in as "a guy for the mix in spring." But, I don't think it will ever happen in Cincinnati for any of these three.

I'd shine 'em up in AAA and put 'em in a deal as sweetener instead of having to burn a younger player for the same purpose. Herrara should be the guy up now IMO. If the org thinks he needs more time, then I'd turn to a Jon Adkins or an Adam Pettyjohn. Those vets would be getting their "no expectations" opportunities in Cincy just like I think Coffey, Maj and Belisle need somewhere else.

Falls City Beer
Walt's first clunker.

Matt700wlw
Awesome or something.

If it means Fogg is a thing of the past, then I'll take it.

Kc61
06-01-2008, 10:54 AM
I think all three of these guys buckled under the weight of the expectations here. Maj trying to justify "the Trade," Coffey as the key arm in the pen, and Belisle trying to solidify the back of the rotation. I think they could go on to decent careers as middle relief guys some where when the expectations are low and they're just brought in as "a guy for the mix in spring." But, I don't think it will ever happen in Cincinnati for any of these three.

I'd shine 'em up in AAA and put 'em in a deal as sweetener instead of having to burn a younger player for the same purpose. Herrara should be the guy up now IMO. If the org thinks he needs more time, then I'd turn to a Jon Adkins or an Adam Pettyjohn. Those vets would be getting their "no expectations" opportunities in Cincy just like I think Coffey, Maj and Belisle need somewhere else.

The difference between Maj and Coffey/Belisle is that Maj had a few very good years for the Nationals. Look at the numbers, while Maj was never a high strikeout guy, he allowed less than a hit/inning in those seasons. With the Reds so far, he has been in the Coffey/Belisle league, true.

Herrera is a lefty. Reds already have three lefties in the pen, which is already questionable, no way you want four.

There's also the fact that Maj was injured when acquired. It may just be that it has taken him two years to get healthy, which does happen. Or maybe he'll revert to form and get tatooed again. We'll see, but I think this is the correct move at this time.

M2
06-01-2008, 11:01 AM
I'm sure it's safe to play with fire this time. No way will the Reds get burned.

membengal
06-01-2008, 11:03 AM
Walt's first clunker.

Disgree. His first clunker was running Fogg out there yesterday (insert smiley icon as necessary)

As for this, NOT a clunker. Even if Maj is here and gets lit like a holiday tree today, no big deal. A bunch of that bullpen needs a day off. They need a fresh arm up here to allow that to happen. Maj is the logical choice to be that fresh arm. So here he is. No biggie. And absolutely logical and necessary...

RedlegJake
06-01-2008, 11:03 AM
There's also the fact that Maj was injured when acquired. It may just be that it has taken him two years to get healthy, which does happen. Or maybe he'll revert to form and get tatooed again. We'll see, but I think this is the correct move at this time.

I agre with this. Maj deserves the chance and if he blows it, well, then he's done. Now is when to find out. If Maj just gets back to what he was with Washington, then he's league average and a help to this pen.

NC Reds
06-01-2008, 11:04 AM
I don't expect better results from Majewski this time. Fogg has to go though.

VR
06-01-2008, 11:15 AM
This pitching staff has been stressed to the max lately, I'd guess Maj is coming up as insurance today in case JC only goes a few innings.

In the event of an ugly game today, I'd rather see Maj out there getting hammered for a few innings rather than Bray/ Cordero/ Burton getting pushed beyond their limits that will hurt the team for the next month.

mth123
06-01-2008, 11:24 AM
This pitching staff has been stressed to the max lately, I'd guess Maj is coming up as insurance today in case JC only goes a few innings.

In the event of an ugly game today, I'd rather see Maj out there getting hammered for a few innings rather than Bray/ Cordero/ Burton getting pushed beyond their limits that will hurt the team for the next month.

I agree about the pen needing a breather and if this is just a temporary deal for some one to absorb some lumps while the others rest and there are no long term plans, then it doesn't matter who it is. I'd actually prefer it be some one the organization considers fodder than some one in the future plans. But if this is meant to be a guy to be effective, I just don't think Maj will. I've never seen a guy with more of a "deer in the headlights" look while out on the mound than Maj has had since acquired in Cincy. I think he just put too much pressure on himself after the trade and it got worse as the results soured. I think he needs to go somewhere else to succeed. I actually think he can be a serviceable middle guy again. I don't think he can in Cincinnati.

Kc61
06-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Fogg DL'd. Reds will need a starter Thursday.

Reds Fanatic
06-01-2008, 11:28 AM
This is from Fay's blog:

Pitcher Gary Majewski has been called up and Josh Fogg was put on the disabled list.

“After the game, Fogg was complaining about his back. He had some back spasms and they look like they ain’t going to subside. And we need some pitching help, bad,” manager Dusty Baker said. “So we couldn't wait with our situation, so we called up Majewski.”

Spring~Fields
The difference between Maj and Coffey/Belisle is that Maj had a few very good years for the Nationals. Look at the numbers, while Maj was never a high strikeout guy, he allowed less than a hit/inning in those seasons. With the Reds so far, he has been in the Coffey/Belisle league, true.

Herrera is a lefty. Reds already have three lefties in the pen, which is already questionable, no way you want four.

I think that Maj was comfortable in his old ballpark and that he is uncomfortable at the GABP, and that he pitches differently here because of it. Well, we will see how he does, I hope that he has it together this time around.

Matt700wlw

What's Homer's schedule? Maloney's schedule? Thompson's schedule?

I guess Affeldt could go...

WVRedsFan
06-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Disgree. His first clunker was running Fogg out there yesterday (insert smiley icon as necessary)

Nope. That's all on Pole and Dusty. I doubt Walt ordered them to start him.

As for this, NOT a clunker. Even if Maj is here and gets lit like a holiday tree today, no big deal. A bunch of that bullpen needs a day off. They need a fresh arm up here to allow that to happen. Maj is the logical choice to be that fresh arm. So here he is. No biggie. And absolutely logical and necessary...

Guess someone has to be the sacrificial lamb. It might as well be Maj. How many have pitched so well in AAA to come up to the big club and get bombed? Many. I expect the same from Majewski. I hope not, but I expect it.

WVRedsFan
06-01-2008, 11:31 AM
This is from Fay's blog:

Just curious. What is the URL for Fay's blog these days. I went to the old one and was referred to a new site which had nothing by Fay on it.

Reds Fanatic
06-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Just curious. What is the URL for Fay's blog these days. I went to the old one and was referred to a new site which had nothing by Fay on it.

This is the new site. It is still his blog but there a few other writers that also post updates on it.

http://beta.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=blog07

mth123
06-01-2008, 11:34 AM

A DL stint takes Fogg beyond the June 15th date when he can be traded. A good showing in a rehab stint or two and he could still make it possible to deal him to get out of some of his contract and maybe get a grade D prospect before he appears in another major league game.

If this is a phantom injury thing just to make room, the DL is the right way to go instead of DFA.

PuffyPig
06-01-2008, 11:34 AM
Nope. That's all on Pole and Dusty. I doubt Walt ordered them to start him.

Walt sent down Belisle and brought up Mercker.

Fogg had to start, no one else. So, Walt may as well ordered them to start Fogg.

RedsManRick
06-01-2008, 11:35 AM
If it's Fogg DFA, I won't complain. DL'd with what? A broken ability to pitch?

OnBaseMachine
06-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Bad move. Majewski is awful and I'm sure he'll soon remind us.

Wheelhouse
06-01-2008, 11:36 AM
The only problem I've ever had with Majewski is his "grip it and rip it" (as he put it) approach to pitching. He has good stuff when he's healthy. Hopefully he has learned a more mature and tactical approach to pitching in AAA.

Reds Fanatic
I would not be surprised if Majewski is only up here for a few days. They brought him up now because the bullpen has been way overused the last few days. They need another reliever for now but when they bring up another starter Thursday someone will have to go and I would assume it would be Majewski.

Kc61
Bailey goes today. I think Maloney would normally go tomorrow, but my guess is they'll hold Maloney back and he'll be a Red this week. I don't think Thompson has had enough AAA experience yet.

I assume Maj will get in the game today or tomorrow. If he gets lit up, he probably goes back to AAA. If not, however, then the question is who gets let go when Maloney (or whomever) comes up.

The three lefties seem safe, all are pitching well. Lincoln is pitching well of late. Burton and Cordero are locks to stay.

That leaves Weathers who still doesn't look right and isn't pitching like the last couple years. Wonder whether he will be the fall guy or get DL'd when the starter comes up.

guttle11
06-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Bailey goes today. I think Maloney would normally go tomorrow, but my guess is they'll hold Maloney back and he'll be a Red this week. I don't think Thompson has had enough AAA experience yet.

I assume Maj will get in the game today or tomorrow. If he gets lit up, he probably goes back to AAA. If not, however, then the question is who gets let go when Maloney (or whomever) comes up.

The three lefties seem safe, all are pitching well. Lincoln is pitching well of late. Burton and Cordero are locks to stay.

That leaves Weathers who still doesn't look right and isn't pitching like the last couple years. Wonder whether he will be the fall guy or get DL'd when the starter comes up.

I don't think Weathers will be removed from the roster. He might get DL'd again, but I don't think they want to lose another mentor (Hatteberg) if at all possible.

Wheelhouse
06-01-2008, 11:46 AM
Majewski's May at Louisville: 12 games, 15 IP, OppAvg. .143, ERA 1.20, 7 Hits, 15 Ks, 3BB

Worth a final look. Good move by Jocketty.

mth123
06-01-2008, 11:47 AM

I wonder the same. With Freel and Hairston being so versatile, the team could go with 13 pitchers for a while and send Janish or Phillips back down. No off days to rest the pen or skip a starter for quite a while. There could be (and have been many times this year and the last few) worse uses of a roster spot. Maybe they stay with 13 until Keppinger comes back. It might have the side benefit of stopping some of the crazy double switch moves.

Matt700wlw
06-01-2008, 11:54 AM
His last chance.

Period....at least in my world

Marc D
06-01-2008, 11:56 AM
As a kid I remember the first few times I saw his latest device from ACME, thinking "this time he gets the roadrunner." It only took a few episodes before I learned that its just wasn't ever going to happen.

WVRedsFan
06-01-2008, 11:56 AM
Walt sent down Belisle and brought up Mercker.

Fogg had to start, no one else. So, Walt may as well ordered them to start Fogg.

I doubt that. Who else was there? It was a no win situation (even though the Reds won).

Majewski's stay may be temporary if they want to bring up Maloney or someone else. He might go back down.

Tony Cloninger
06-01-2008, 12:03 PM
It would help if one of these starters could go 7 innings without having to throw 120 pitches to do it.

Every game....at least the last ...what 10?...it seems these starters are going 5-6 and throwing 100-120.

Spring~Fields
06-01-2008, 12:06 PM
If it's Fogg DFA, I won't complain. DL'd with what? A broken ability to pitch?

A guy on Fay's blog said that Majewski was in the dugout yesterday, I don't know if that was true or not. DL'd with an inability to move him I guess.

Spring~Fields
06-01-2008, 12:08 PM
It would help if one of these starters could go 7 innings without having to throw 120 pitches to do it.

Every game....at least the last ...what 10?...it seems these starters are going 5-6 and throwing 100-120.

I am losing faith in the pitching coach, I wonder how many pitchers he will have to turn over before the coach finds some pitchers that are coachable. ;)

mth123
06-01-2008, 12:09 PM

Agree. The defense has a lot to do with that. Pitch to contact? Allows too many runners on this poor defensive team that doesn't convert those balls in play to outs with enough frequency, and inflates pitch counts. To be effective, a pitcher needs a lot of K's with this defense behind him. That eats up pitches too, unfortunately.

membengal
06-01-2008, 12:29 PM
I doubt that. Who else was there? It was a no win situation (even though the Reds won).

Majewski's stay may be temporary if they want to bring up Maloney or someone else. He might go back down.

There was Maloney. It was an easy call to make. Face it, Jock was the one making that decision re: Fogg. Now he knows.

Maloney up this week, is the way this is heading. If they really want to thrill me? Give Harang an additional day of rest and slot Maloney in for Tuesday and bump everyone back a day...

ETA: Tuesday would be Maloney's normal rotation day in L'ville, so a Tuesday start would be right in line for him. And I really really would like to get Harang an extra day to chill.

membengal
06-01-2008, 12:31 PM
Bad move. Majewski is awful and I'm sure he'll soon remind us.

Good move. This bullpen needs a breather. If anyone needs to "take one for the team", I nominate Maj. If he surprises us, great. If he is awful, well, so be it. Either way, Bray/Burton et al need a day off. Maj is that day off, I would hope.

reds44
06-01-2008, 12:53 PM
I don't mind this move if he gets a FINAL (and I mean final) audition this week. If he pitches well, then maybe he forces his way on the team, if he comes into a situation where he needs to eat innings and gets lit up, then he's gone when Maloney or Thompson come up on Thursday. I assume Walt just wants a look at him.

I love Fogg going on the DL. They might as well have said the DL'd him with a case of being bad. The teams about to get even younger.

Matt700wlw
06-01-2008, 01:03 PM
Dusty calls him "Majooski" :lol:

StillFunkyB
06-01-2008, 01:08 PM
Interesting. Perhaps Fogg went down and the Reds are shoring up the bullpen in light of recent heavy use. Just a guess.

He is going to have to show up like Jay Bruce for me to change my opinion on him.

I went to two games last year, and both games he came in and promptly gave up HR's to lose the ballgame.

Small sample, and he did have some family things last year, but I still have not seen anything remotely close to what I saw from him while he was with Washington.

StillFunkyB
06-01-2008, 01:09 PM
Dusty calls him "Majooski" :lol:

That's how I say it too.... :p:

Will M
06-01-2008, 01:11 PM
i hope majik pitches well. i doubt he will. i think walt errored. he should have moved the shiny majik ( after his good AAA ) in a trade. i am of the opinion that he will never pitch well for the reds. i hope i am wrong

if fogg comes back after his DL stint i'll scream

fearofpopvol1
06-01-2008, 01:46 PM
I hope this means Maloney pitches on Thursday.

Majik makes sense. I don't like the idea of him being up here, but the bullpen is taxed. There's no point in bringing up a 5th starter who will sit idle for a few days when they can get some usage out of another arm. Other than Herrera, who else would you use? Coffey? Bring Belisle back? They need someone to throw some innings.

reds44
06-01-2008, 01:47 PM
I hope this means Maloney pitches on Thursday.

Majik makes sense. I don't like the idea of him being up here, but the bullpen is taxed. There's no point in bringing up a 5th starter who will sit idle for a few days when they can get some usage out of another arm. Other than Herrera, who else would you use? Coffey? Bring Belisle back? They need someone to throw some innings.
Homer got pulled after 2 innings in his start last night, signs sure point to Homer starting.

edabbs44
06-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Maybe this is his last shot. An audition for WJ...flunk and you are gone.

fearofpopvol1
06-01-2008, 01:51 PM
Homer got pulled after 2 innings in his start last night, signs sure point to Homer starting.

I saw that. I think it'd be a huge mistake, though. We'll find out for sure tomorrow as I believe Maloney is slated to start.

JaxRed
06-01-2008, 02:22 PM
Homer did not start yesterday. He's scheduled to start today. He might be pulled from that, but game doesn't start till 6:15

Caveat Emperor
06-01-2008, 03:24 PM
Fogg to the DL -- an exam revealed that he's been pitching the last 3 seasons without a talent.

Ron Madden
06-01-2008, 04:20 PM
I have no faith at all in Majewski.

He was toast even before comming to the Reds.

:thumbdown

RedlegJake
06-01-2008, 04:23 PM
I have no faith at all in Majewski.

He was toast even before comming to the Reds.

:thumbdown

Yeah, he was. He was hurt and never really recovered. Lately though his velocity is back to what it was with Washington and his command has been sharp. I'm willing to take a flyer just to see but the leash would be so short you might say I'd be holding him by the collar.

Ron Madden
06-01-2008, 04:30 PM
I wish him all the luck in the world. I really do.

Let's hope he's kicked to the curb if he pitches anything like he has the past few years. ;)

WebScorpion
06-01-2008, 06:17 PM
Fogg, Majewski, and Bailey are on the 40-man roster...Hererra and Maloney are not. Just sayin'...

Highlifeman21
06-01-2008, 07:24 PM
Is it just me, or does Majewski forget how to pitch during his travel from Louisville to Cincinnati?

He very well may be a career minor leaguer, who puts up great numbers for a minor league career.

At the MLB level, however, that's another animal entirely...

REDREAD
06-01-2008, 10:38 PM
Walt's first clunker.

I agree it's puzzling.. but on the other hand, if they need a temporary bullpen arm, there's not a whole lot else to pick from in Louisville, is there?

Am I overlooking someone?

On the flip side, it seems fair to give Maj an audition after Fogg and Belisle got one. If Maj blows this chance, I'm guessing he's not back next year.
That's one thing Walt needs to do this year, sort out the wheat from the chaff.. Avoid bringing back chaff next year.

That said, I'm not exactly thrilled Maj is coming back though. Doubt he'll be any better this time around

TRF
06-02-2008, 10:04 AM
Since Fogg was DL'd, the Reds could have recalled Belisle. Moving him back to the pen is dumb IMO. Just DFA the guy if you don't want him as a starter, the pen is not the right place for him.

Ron Madden
06-03-2008, 03:07 AM
I wish him all the luck in the world. I really do.

Let's hope he's kicked to the curb if he pitches anything like he has the past few years. ;)

Majewski did a fine job tonight. I hope he proves me wrong.