PDA

View Full Version : Who should join the rotation? 6/1/08

*BaseClogger*
06-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Harang, Arroyo, Volquez, Cueto,...?

If you choose "Other" please specify...

reds44
06-01-2008, 12:55 PM
I voted Thompson a few weeks back, and he has shown me nothing to change that. I just like his upside more than Maloney. I'd be fine with either of those two.

I remember Dusty saying something about wanting a lefty in the rotation in spring training, so the logical choice is that it will be Maloney.

Joseph
06-01-2008, 01:01 PM
Maloney does not inspire confidence in me. I think he'll make us long for Brandon Claussen.

Cyclone792
06-01-2008, 01:05 PM
From McCoy's blog:

Who starts Thursday in Philadelphia, Fogg’s turn?

Manager Dusty Baker was coy about it, but the guess here is that it is finally Homer Bailey time. Bailey was scheduled to pitch for the Class AAA Louisville Bats today, but he was scratched in favor of Daryl Thompson.

Well, we know it's not going to be Daryl Thompson. Whether it's Bailey or Maloney remains to be seen.

I'm leaning toward Maloney myself. Bailey has done nothing for me to show that he's anymore ready now than he was a year ago. His walk rate still stinks, which tells me that his command problem hasn't really gotten any better. All Bailey's liable to do Thursday is walk a truckload of Phillies and get knocked out in the 4th or 5th inning, thereby continuing to put more strain on an already worn out bullpen.

NC Reds
06-01-2008, 01:09 PM
Maloney should get a shot. He has been better than Bailey the last month. I am not going to presume he is the next Milton or Claussen. Let him succeed or fail on his own merits.

HokieRed
06-01-2008, 01:11 PM
I'd argue for Pettyjohn, whom I voted for, or Mallett, just because I take it this is for a few starts while Maloney, Thompson, and Bailey continue to work on their stuff. It's important to make the decision about their coming up based on their readiness. I can't help but think that Pettyjohn, particularly as a lefty, can't be any worse than Belisle or Fogg has been.

Matt700wlw
06-01-2008, 01:16 PM
I think we have our answer...

From McCoy's blog:

Who starts Thursday in Philadelphia, Fogg’s turn?

Manager Dusty Baker was coy about it, but the guess here is that it is finally Homer Bailey time. Bailey was scheduled to pitch for the Class AAA Louisville Bats today, but he was scratched in favor of Daryl Thompson

mth123
06-01-2008, 01:16 PM
I voted other. Go get somebody.

I house, I'd go with Maloney BTW.

The_jbh
06-01-2008, 01:23 PM
I am not so sure that scratching Bailey means anything... we are going to give him 9 days rest before coming up? that seems a little excessive. Look for him in the dugout I guess... if they are going to give him that much of a break from action he better be working with Dick Pole and not Ted Powers.

Falls City Beer
06-01-2008, 01:29 PM
Tim Hudson. :p:

My favorite stat in many seasons: Tim Hudson's 2007 season: 224 IP 10 HR surrendered. Incredible.

It's like the guy fell off the face of the earth since he left Oakland; yet he does that. I hate baseball media coverage.

fearofpopvol1
06-01-2008, 01:50 PM
It should be Maloney. I think he's the most ready of the bunch and he's pitched very well for the last month. If it's Bailey, that would be a mistake by Jocketty.

camisadelgolf
06-01-2008, 01:52 PM
Jeremy Affeldt
I just don't trust him for more than one or two innings at a time.
Homer Bailey
He's already in an option year, and when he's on, he's on. It might take him 100 pitches to get through five innings with a 1.80 WHIP, but there's a decent chance he will have allowed just one run.
Matt Belisle
He's been too hittable. I'd let him build his confidence in AAA before coming back.
Ben Jukich
40-man roster space would have to be cleared, and he hasn't even see AAA yet.
Justin Mallett
If he started a MLB game, it would be like watching a piñata.
Matt Maloney
40-man roster space would have to be cleared, and there's no need to start his arbitration clock and use an option year.
Adam Pettyjohn
I'd prefer to sell him to Korea.
Ramon Ramirez
He projects more as a reliever.
Daryl Thompson
He has just one start above AA. I'd give him just a little more time before facing Major League hitting.

fearofpopvol1
06-01-2008, 01:56 PM
Matt Maloney
40-man roster space would have to be cleared, and there's no need to start his arbitration clock and use an option year.

That's actually a good point. Homer definitely has better stuff, but I don't like the idea of rewarding someone who shouldn't be rewarded. He's not been good as of late and I still don't think he's ready. I think Maloney has earned his shot. He's a little older, a bit more seasoned and has better command.

RedsManRick
06-01-2008, 01:57 PM
It should be either Belisle or Maloney in my book -- I voted Maloney. Bailey has done absolutely nothing to show he's advanced from where he was this time last year.

The_jbh
06-01-2008, 02:01 PM
If Homer Bailey is the choice, it is a clear sign that this team is more worried about putting fans in the seats than the finished product. Homer is vastly too inconsistent to touch the field yet. It was just two weeks ago he had gone a good 3 starts that were less than major league ready.

If he is brought up, its because the Reds want to tout Bruce Votto Bailey Volquez and Cueto all in the majors. The fearsome three righties in the rotation.

Maloney has clearly earned the knod if its between thompson Bailey and him. In may he has 4-1 2.56 era in 38 and 2/3 innings. He has given up ONE HR, struck out 30, and only walked 11.

He has to be the guy... plus he's a nice change of pace in the rotation... a lefty, not a extremely hard thrower but good sinking stuff.

membengal
06-01-2008, 02:11 PM
It will be too bad if it is not Maloney, I feel like he has earned the next shot, but if it's Bailey, there is always the hope that he is ready to put it together. Either way, having it NOT be Fogg is a relief.

AmarilloRed
06-01-2008, 06:28 PM
Matt Maloney for me. I just think he is more ready at this time than Homer Bailey.

sonny
06-01-2008, 08:31 PM
I picked Affeldt. The dude is already on the roster, he can do no worse than Fogg can he?

Can He?

Degenerate39
06-01-2008, 08:33 PM
Jay Bruce.

But really I'd say Maloney or Thompson.

WebScorpion
06-02-2008, 11:58 AM
I chose Maloney, since the question was worded who 'should' join the rotation. However, I think it will be Bailey for many reasons. Bailey is already on the 40-man roster, he has prior experience, and he has better pure stuff. I think they're hoping the current atmosphere of the team, coupled with the fact that many of the players involved are Bailey's peers, will be just the shot in the arm Bailey needs to realize his potential. It will be tough for Homer to be the best of this group...any one of the other four starters could inspire him to perform at his current peak and improve with each outing. I hope he takes this as a challenge and rises to the occassion. This team could really be something special with Harang, Volquez, Arroyo, Cueto, and Bailey all pitching at their best. :eek:

TRF
06-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Belisle can be brought back due to the injury to Fogg. I voted Belisle. I also let him know his time in Cincinnati might just hinge on this outing. He needs to pitch with a little desperation and a lot more moxie.

M2
06-02-2008, 12:44 PM
I'd give Pettyjohn a spot start or two, but Maloney's the only guy in AAA right now who strikes me as being capable of posting a sub-5.00 ERA in the majors over the long haul. Until Belisle can reclaim the movement on his pitches, he's not really going to be much of an option.

TRF
06-02-2008, 01:07 PM
AAA might be the place for him to get that back. The AAA pen however is not the right place for him.

Falls City Beer
06-02-2008, 01:17 PM
I chose Maloney*

*to include in a trade for a MLB starter.