PDA

View Full Version : Jay's Defense...

SoTxRedsFan
06-01-2008, 04:20 PM
I live in San Antonio, so I don't get to watch many Reds' games. From what you guys have seen over the past 6 games, is Jay's CF defense good enough for him to stay in CF for the near future. Or do you see him in RF if/once Jr. is moved?

Homer Bailey
06-01-2008, 04:29 PM
He hasn't made any large mistakes in center, though he did make one today in right. Broken bat fly ball he came in on it and it went over his head. In center he looked to get pretty solid jumps on the ball, but didn't look to have too much acceleration. However, there were no plays this week that made you say "So and So would have caught that ball." He made all the plays he was supposed to make.

Sound fair?

AccordinglyReds
06-01-2008, 04:31 PM
At all the Bats games I went to this year, he did exceptionally well. Played some nice doubles off the wall with strikes into the cut-off man. He can play CF for now with Freel being the double switch candidate, and Bruce moving to RF. He should be fine.

ChatterRed
06-01-2008, 04:33 PM
The commentators said the broken bat affected Bruce's judgement on the fly ball and he got a late break on it. It happens.

Homer Bailey
06-01-2008, 05:08 PM
The commentators said the broken bat affected Bruce's judgement on the fly ball and he got a late break on it. It happens.

Yeah I can't really blame him for that one. It's hard to believe a broken bat fly ball could reach the warning track.

SarasotaFan
06-01-2008, 09:49 PM
he's not really your prototypical CF - he's more of a RF. he's the heir to RF

_Sir_Charles_
06-01-2008, 10:09 PM
Ummm...he WAS in RF for that hit. It doesn't matter where he was, it was a broken bat, he misread it and misplayed it. It'll happen more than once. It doesn't mean he's a poor outfielder. Some hits are harder to read than others. Broken bat hits even moreso.

SarasotaFan
06-01-2008, 10:20 PM
Ummm...he WAS in RF for that hit. It doesn't matter where he was, it was a broken bat, he misread it and misplayed it. It'll happen more than once. It doesn't mean he's a poor outfielder. Some hits are harder to read than others. Broken bat hits even moreso.
who are you "ummm"ing ????

_Sir_Charles_
06-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Well, you to be precise. Unless I misread your post. Weren't you commenting on the misplay of that broken bat flyball by saying he's more of a RF'er?

Oh, wait. I'm sorry, you were responding to the original post. Sorry bud. My bad.

SarasotaFan
06-01-2008, 10:29 PM
Well, you to be precise. Unless I misread your post. Weren't you commenting on the misplay of that broken bat flyball by saying he's more of a RF'er?

Oh, wait. I'm sorry, you were responding to the original post. Sorry bud. My bad.
i quote when i wanna reply to a certain post...i don't quote when it's in response to the very beginning / whole thread :beerme:

_Sir_Charles_
06-01-2008, 10:32 PM
Yep. I know. I was just reading down the thread and I got to yours. I know...bone headed. :O)