PDA

View Full Version : The reason Hairston & McCann were arguing during today's game

fearofpopvol1
06-01-2008, 07:58 PM
Didn't see this posted anywhere, but here ya go:

Gregor Blanco ended the no-hit bit by beginning the sixth inning with a bunt single that drew the ire of Reds shortstop Jerry Hairston Jr., who obviously didn't think a speedy outfielder had the right to obstruct history in a game where the difference was just three runs.

After Hairston voiced his displeasure in Blanco's direction, he came to the plate in the seventh inning and received some choice words from All-Star catcher Brian McCann.

"I wanted him to know we were still trying to win a ballgame," McCann said. "That's Blanco's game. It's not like it was me out there trying to bunt."

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20080601&content_id=2813969&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=atl

Also, I laughed at this:

Yunel Escobar's throwing error helped the Reds score three times in the seventh inning, which was highlighted by a Jay Bruce RBI single. Since making his Major League debut on Tuesday, Bruce has recorded 12 hits in 22 at-bats. During this weekend's series, he had nine hits, including two homers, in 13 at-bats.

Under better circumstances, the Braves might have been heaping praise on Bruce, who hit a walk-off homer on Saturday, then touched Hudson for a third-inning solo shot on Sunday.

But given their frustrations, it was natural to hear Hudson respond sarcastically to a reporter's question about Bruce.

The righty quipped, "I saw Ted Williams up there in every at-bat of every series. Is that what you want me to say?"

Highlifeman21
06-01-2008, 08:21 PM
Great quote by Hudson.

Good to see Hairston was upset with the bunt, but Blanco can fly and bunting isn't something foreign to him. I actually agree with McCann. But again, good to see Hairston sticking up for Cueto.

Falls City Beer
06-01-2008, 08:27 PM
Tim also took a shot at his own offense and Cueto by saying:

"We faced a guy who can't stop backing up third base when he's facing other teams, and then he goes out there and has a no-hitter into the sixth against us," Hudson said.

Whatever, Tim. Your team got kind of handled by a team that was scuffling. Time to get your own house in order rather than lash out at your own top 5 offense or the team that just owned your arses.

OnBaseMachine
06-01-2008, 08:59 PM
Tim also took a shot at his own offense and Cueto by saying:

"We faced a guy who can't stop backing up third base when he's facing other teams, and then he goes out there and has a no-hitter into the sixth against us," Hudson said.

Whatever, Tim. Your team got kind of handled by a team that was scuffling. Time to get your own house in order rather than lash out at your own top 5 offense or the team that just owned your arses.

I just lost a ton of respect for Tim Hudson.

guttle11
06-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Had Blanco bunted just one inning later, I would might have considered it bush league. There is no such thing as a possible no-hitter until you've seen every batter twice IMO.

As for Hudson, his comments are laughable. Cueto hasn't been bad at home, just on the road. ANd Bruce has peppered all fields since coming up. He was the second best hitter in the NL this past week. Put some hot ice on the hammy and keep your mouth shut.

OnBaseMachine
06-01-2008, 09:05 PM
I doubt Hudson would've made those comments if he knew he had to face Cueto and his 96 mph fastball again this season.

Heath
06-01-2008, 09:08 PM
I doubt Hudson would've made those comments if he knew he had to face Cueto and his 96 mph fastball again this season.

Ding Ding Ding....winner winner..chicken dinner.

membengal
06-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Hairston is wrong, but, ya know what? I love him being wrong here. Excellent to hear him standing up for a teammate. Fantastic, actually.

And, Hudson? Don't know what to tell you. That guy backing up third base a bunch recently? Also has carried no-hitters past the 5th inning three times this year now. Apparently Hudson has forgotten how volatile young talent can be on the mound...

TeamBoone
06-01-2008, 09:47 PM
I don't get this "Brave" attitude at all. You'd think they were in first place and got whooped by the worst team in the league. They've stunk on the road too, and the Reds are a bit hot at the moment. Instead of offering a few words of praise to a deserving team, including a couple of rookies, he acts like a baby. I've lost a lot of respect for the veteran too.

Extremely disappointing attitude... especially toward the two rookies.

cincinnati chili
06-01-2008, 09:49 PM
I don't believe in this "unwritten" rule at all. The Braves were 3 runs down and needed baserunners. I wouldn't care if there were two outs in the ninth.

Caveat Emperor
06-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Tim Hudson and Jerry Hairston both need to shut up.

Hudson especially -- you got torched by Jay Ballgame for a solo jack in his first week up with the bigs. Show some class about it or shut up. Your offense got sat down by a rookie starter -- again, show some class about it or just shut up. I don't recall him doing anything spectacular at the plate today.

letsgojunior
06-01-2008, 10:03 PM
I agree CE.

Hudson has little room to talk. If he went out there and put up 0's the same way the "pitcher who can't stop backing up third base" did, the Braves would have won the game. Instead, he couldn't get any of the Reds' key hitters out.

deltachi8
06-01-2008, 10:18 PM
I don't believe in this "unwritten" rule at all. The Braves were 3 runs down and needed baserunners. I wouldn't care if there were two outs in the ninth.

I'm with ya.

GAC
06-01-2008, 10:21 PM

I agree. There's no whining in baseball.

RedFanAlways1966
06-01-2008, 10:27 PM
I love the Hairston and McCann exchange. I don't agree with Hairston, but I like to see a guy stand up for his team. I also like to see McCann stand up for his team. Fire... I like it.

Hudson? Get a box of Kleenex for the crybaby. Like a spoiled kid who didn't get his way. Grow up, crybaby. And act like a professional. Guess his mouth/attitude make me root against him everytime he takes the mound.

cincrazy
06-02-2008, 12:25 AM
It's ironic that Hudson made the comment about Cueto constantly having to back up third base when Hudson himself probably left the game today because of pulling a quad while backing up third base so many times.

Mario-Rijo
06-02-2008, 12:34 AM
I love the Hairston and McCann exchange. I don't agree with Hairston, but I like to see a guy stand up for his team. I also like to see McCann stand up for his team. Fire... I like it.

Hudson? Get a box of Kleenex for the crybaby. Like a spoiled kid who didn't get his way. Grow up, crybaby. And act like a professional. Guess his mouth/attitude make me root against him everytime he takes the mound.

Ditto!

Patrick Bateman
06-02-2008, 01:12 AM
Another thing to consider is that the no-hitter was through 5 innings. He was nowhere close to finishing the thing off. It's not like they did it with 2 outs in the 9th or something.

McCann had a good point, bunting is Blanco's game. He shouldn't have to negatively effect his own game to appease the opposition. That's ridiculous.

WVPacman
06-02-2008, 01:39 AM
Im getting ready to go watch the game b/c I was gone all day but it sures sounds like Hairston should have keep his mouth close.If it was only in the fith inning then he should'nt have said anything.If the shoes were on the other feet and the reds needed a hit I garentee he would try a bunt to break up a no hitter.

BCubb2003
06-02-2008, 01:48 AM
I remember Pete Rose complaining about being pitched around during his hitting streak.

Team Clark
06-02-2008, 02:20 AM

:thumbup: This is the kinda stuff I like to see. Dunn's post game comments on Fox were pretty good too. If they split with the Phillies I will be happy.

membengal
06-02-2008, 08:57 AM
Im getting ready to go watch the game b/c I was gone all day but it sures sounds like Hairston should have keep his mouth close.If it was only in the fith inning then he should'nt have said anything.If the shoes were on the other feet and the reds needed a hit I garentee he would try a bunt to break up a no hitter.

Why should Hairston have kept his mouth closed? I don't care if he was right or not. I simply am pleased that he stood up for a teammate. That kind of fire has long been missing from the Reds. So Hairston wasn't right. I don't care. This team has needed a little "hair on their chest" for awhile now in terms of nastiness. If Hairston helps to bring some of that to the fore, even in the midst of being wrong, well, good for him.

Raisor
06-02-2008, 09:23 AM
Hudson faked his injury just so he wouldn't have to face Bruce again.

Just sayin.

Tommyjohn25
06-02-2008, 09:28 AM
I absolutely love the fire in Hairston. It's something that I've noticed in him since his first week with the club. He flat out wants to BEAT the opposition, and now apparently will go to lengths to defend his teammates, right or wrong. IMO that's pretty commendable.

Tommyjohn25
06-02-2008, 09:42 AM
:thumbup: This is the kinda stuff I like to see. Dunn's post game comments on Fox were pretty good too. If they split with the Phillies I will be happy.

I heard about the Dunn comments, but didn't see them. What did he say?

Falls City Beer
06-02-2008, 09:44 AM
Dusty's "Us vs. The World" method.

No wonder Baker likes Hairston. I don't usually like the "us vs. the world" mentality in real life, but it seems to have some place in a team sport.

OldRightHander
06-02-2008, 10:18 AM
A hitter's job is to get on base. A pitcher's job is to pitch...and not whine like a baby when he's soundly beaten.

Dom Heffner
06-02-2008, 12:55 PM
I like the fact that Hairston said what he said. He's wrong, but it shows he really cares about his team. It's like when your parents stick up for you even when they know you are wrong. It's a good feeling.

Having said that, instead of compalining about the bunt, the Reds need to field their positions and not let a bunt hit happen. In the midst of a no-hitter, you need to look for that stuff, because it's most likely coming. Nothing like rattling the other team, and with a guy like Cueto who gets visibly shaken up out there, bunting is a pretty good way to get a rally started. And it worked for a spell.

As for Hudson- sort of odd for a guy who has never had the stuff that Cueto has to make comments about another pitcher like that. Hudson's a good pitcher, don't get me wrong, but he's normally not a guy who strikes out close to one per inning.

The comments about Bruce and Ted Williams are funny, because as much as I like Chipper Jones, there is no way in heck he hits .400 for the year. Maybe all the teams he's killed this year should be saying the same thing about him.

MartyFan
06-02-2008, 01:05 PM
I love that we finally have some vocal guys on the field and that they are serving notice that they intend on being part of the solution here in Cincy...Walt Jocketty sure has done a great job of bringing in some firecrackers since he has been GM...looks like getting rid of Special K sure was the right thing to do...ok, sour grapes aside...I am glad this team is showing some attitude.

jmcclain19
06-02-2008, 01:09 PM

100% agree. I heartily loathe all the "unwritten" rules of playing the game the right way.

Did everyone forget that the point of the game is win?

Marc D
06-02-2008, 01:09 PM
So what did Dunn say in the post game comments?

BTW put me in the group that thinks Hariston was wrong in his arguments but LOVES the fact he was arguing!!

A good old fashioned bench clearing brawl is coming soon and it will be over something like this. It will galvanize this team imo.

OldRightHander
06-02-2008, 01:14 PM
I attended a game in the mid 90s where the Reds had a couple runners on one inning in a game they were leading and a hitter came up and dropped a bunt down. He beat the throw and the bases were loaded. Ron Gant then came up and hit a granny. The manager of the other team (I'm thinking the Astros, but not sure) complained after the game about the Reds bunting in that situation. It was obvious that the hitter was trying to bunt for a hit, not a sac, but that didn't matter. He was livid that the Reds were "trying to bunt runners over" when they had a lead.

Can we just write a rule that does away with unwritten rules?

pahster
06-02-2008, 01:35 PM
Can we just write a rule that does away with unwritten rules?

Only after fisticuffs.

WebScorpion
06-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Only after fisticuffs.
London Prize Ring rules or Marquess Of Queensbury rules? :D

Team Clark
06-02-2008, 02:28 PM
I heard about the Dunn comments, but didn't see them. What did he say?

Just real positive comments that came across with a lot of energy. You could tell he believed what he was saying instead of just giving Piecoro a line. Seems to me the youth and the resurgence of Freel and Hairston have added a nice element to this club. :thumbup:

BCubb2003
06-02-2008, 02:51 PM
London Prize Ring rules or Marquess Of Queensbury rules? :D

I think Chip R should weigh in on what the most gentlemanly course of action should be for a batsman confronting a hurler of such dominance.