PDA

View Full Version : Adam Dunn is on pace for...

AdamDunn
06-02-2008, 12:48 PM
44 HR, 109 RBI's 133 Walks 144 SO. That would be a career high for him in HR and Walks and a career low for him in strikeouts. That's almost a one to one ration of walks to strikeouts. It would also be the first time he's averaged less than one strikeout a game. However, overall, his runs (on pace for 91) and RBI numbers are not too different from his previous years. I guess I'm asking is Dunn really better than he was last year due to less strikeouts or is he the same old Dunn?

44Magnum
06-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Let's hope he does it. He's still the same old Dunn, but if he is with the Reds, I hope he will continue to improve.

levydl
06-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Dunn hit 46 HRs one year, I think.

bgwilly31
06-02-2008, 03:02 PM
I think dunn with less strike outs is absolutely an improvement.

How could it not be.

Dunn has been on fire as of late so right now he absolutely not the same old dunn.

But overall this year i definitely see an improvement and im happy with what i see.

Trade jr. for RH power. and our outfield will be looking pretty scary!

levydl
06-02-2008, 03:16 PM
I think dunn with less strike outs is absolutely an improvement.

How could it not be.

Because strike outs are only minutely worse than non-strikeout outs.

Homer Bailey
06-02-2008, 05:07 PM
In 2004 he hit 46 Home Runs.

mroby85
06-02-2008, 06:24 PM

I disagree, while I think dunn isn't usually very good at it, i'm a firm believer in productive outs. Moving the runner up, things of the nature, that don't show up in stats, but are very important in the outcome of the game.

Lockdwn11
06-02-2008, 08:33 PM

I think you maybe missing his point less K= more contact more contact = more hits/HRs

Kingspoint
06-02-2008, 08:35 PM
Don't forget a career high in Sac Flies, and a career high in opposite field singles, and a career high in hitting with RISP.

But, all of this is to be expected as he's at the peak age of 28.

improbus
06-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Here's the funny thing about Dunn. In two months, we will be writing about Dunn striking out too much, not doing the little things offensively, and not knocking in enough runs. He's a streak hitter who is unstoppable when he's hot and the worst offensive player on the team (outside of David Ross) when he's cold. Let's not get carried away and evaluate Dunn's season too early.

captainmorgan07
06-02-2008, 08:58 PM
I've been critical of Dunn in the past but right now he is cutting down the strikeouts and has been very clutch this season. He's showing he can cut his swing down and make contact with 2 strikes. He has played very well defensively and needs to be resigned. No where else in the majors can u find a guy who hits 40hrs 100 rbis score 100 runs and walks 100 times.

Ghosts of 1990
06-02-2008, 09:27 PM
he needs resigned and he will be

AdamDunn
06-02-2008, 11:13 PM
I think you maybe missing his point less K= more contact more contact = more hits/HRs

His stats don't support that though. He's only on pace four 6 more than his typical average of 40 hr. He's on pace for only 127 hits, which would be his least since he played 116 games in 2003. I really don't think his value as a player increases with his decreased strikeout rate.

06-03-2008, 12:45 AM

I think both of you are right. Generally an out is worth negative .097 runs while a strikeout is worth negative .110 runs. That is a difference of .013 runs per K. So if Dunn keeps his pace of K's he will strike out around 40 times less than usual, which is worth around 1/2 a run for the season. Not much.

But that assumes that all of those 40 less Ks were outs. It is highly likely that some were hits, homers, SF, or walks or other positive outcomes. The stats do show that. While he in on pace to have less hits, he is on pace to have many more walks this years (145), and triple the # of SF he usually gets. 6 more sac flies alone lead to 4-6 more runs, and the walks really lead to a bunch more runs.

IMHO, he really looks like a different hitter, especially with two strikes. He is much better at staying alive after two strikes to get the count to 3-2 or to get a good pitch he can hit. It seemed like before, once he had two strikes on him, he was as good as out. Let's hope this a permanent change for Dunn.