Fullboat
06-02-2008, 04:03 PM
Does a player have to be in the all star game to participate in the HR
derby?I want to see the Big Donkey hit some taters.:thumbup:

berryluther
06-02-2008, 04:45 PM

I beleive The Donkeys stance was he wouldnt hit in it if he wassnt in the AS Game.

With his pending FA I would think if invited it could raise his stock. Like what it did for Abreau a few years ago.

Fullboat
06-02-2008, 04:52 PM
I beleive The Donkeys stance was he wouldnt hit in it if he wassnt in the AS Game.

With his pending FA I would think if invited it could raise his stock. Like what it did for Abreau a few years ago.

Really! thats a shame.It would definitely raise his stock.

laxtonto
06-02-2008, 05:01 PM
Hamilton in the the Home Run derby.....i might actually watch that

goreds2
06-04-2008, 03:38 AM

I am almost certain he has to be on the All-Star roster to participate.

I think the NBA allstar events (Slam dunk/3 point etc) you do not have to be on the roster.

Z-Fly
06-04-2008, 01:04 PM
I know for a fact he does not have to be an All-Star to be in the durby.

tommycash
06-04-2008, 01:11 PM
I have always wondered why he has not been in the HR Derby.

Ahhhorsepoo
06-04-2008, 09:23 PM
would prolly think he can walk by taking 4 strikes.. or might get called out on 3 straight strikes while watching them.. or might just whiff at too many pitches..

justincredible
06-04-2008, 11:03 PM
would prolly think he can walk by taking 4 strikes.. or might get called out on 3 straight strikes while watching them.. or might just whiff at too many pitches..

Good one. :rolleyes:

Even when he drastically cuts down on his Ks and only ranks 12th in the NL he still gets crap.

mole44
06-04-2008, 11:14 PM
I know for a fact he does not have to be an All-Star to be in the durby.
Yup

mroby85
06-05-2008, 01:57 AM
yea you don't have to be, but they usually turn down the offer if they aren't. i think this question comes up about every season, lol.

improbus
06-06-2008, 08:03 AM
Just as an aside on the Derby itself, does anyone else think that they should cancel it as an attempt to separate themselves from the steroids era. Look at the some of the past winners:
1992 - Mark McGwire
1993 - Juan Gonzalez
1996 - Barry Bonds
2000 - Sammy Sosa
2002 - Jason Giambi
2004 - Miguel Tejada
I understand that Junior won many times, and that not everyone who won or participated in the contest was juicing. However, doesn't the Derby seem like the ultimate symbol of the steroid era? Remember McGwire in Boston, Sammy in Milwaukee...

Also, it is the ultimate hypocracy by ESPN. They love to talk steroids and talk about the implication and consequences of 'riods. But I guarantee that during All-Star week, they will replay those two HR Derbies and make some money. It's sickening...