PDA

View Full Version : Bruce better than Hamilton?

NastyBoy
06-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Interesting article on the mlb website about Jay Bruce, in particular, a quote form his agent who also represents Josh Hamilton.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080602&content_id=2819123&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

"Josh Hamilton might win the Triple Crown this year, but Jay is better," Sosnick said. "I'll take it to the grave. I'll take my lumps from my [other] players for saying that. He's unequivocally the best player we've ever had in terms of talent and upside and the chance to be successful. He's a once-in-a-lifetime player for me."

Homer Bailey
06-02-2008, 07:15 PM
Please just let the boy play! (Not directed towards you Nasty Boy).

He doesn't need these ridiculous comparisons to all of these awesome players. He's played 6 games!

Kingspoint
06-02-2008, 08:14 PM
Absolutely....Hamilton lost 4 years of his career. That reason alone makes Bruce better. Hamilton may have two or three years that are better than any of Bruce', Bruce will have 12 very good years, while Hamilton struggles to get 7.

laxtonto
06-02-2008, 08:38 PM
According to inside sources Josh Hamilton will be named the AL player of the month for the second consecutive time this year. He is the first player ever to achieve that feat for both the months of April and May in the 35 year history of the monthly award.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20080602&content_id=2821927&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Kingspoint
06-02-2008, 08:48 PM
According to inside sources Josh Hamilton will be named the AL player of the month for the second consecutive time this year. He is the first player ever to achieve that feat for both the months of April and May in the 35 year history of the monthly award.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20080602&content_id=2821927&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Mark McGwire won Player-of-the-Month Awards in April and May in the year he smacked nine gazillion homeruns, but that was in the NL.

Ghosts of 1990
06-02-2008, 10:08 PM
Tough debate. They're both future HOF imo.

NorrisHopper30
06-02-2008, 10:12 PM
Tough debate. They're both future HOF imo.

Wow..give them some time geez.

Keep in mind Hamilton is already 27.

captainmorgan07
06-02-2008, 10:12 PM
Both players are very talented. Hamilton has the experince factor so far on Bruce. Both have very good power to all fields and can also shoot the ball the opposite way instead of becoming pull happy. Both Hamilton and Bruce can play all 3 outfield spots. Either could win a gold glove in their career. It's to early to make the call on which one is better.

gilpdawg
06-02-2008, 10:15 PM
Bruce has the potential to be the best player in baseball. Not ever, but currently. :)

Will it happen, maybe, but it also may not.

Remember, Gregg Jefferies was can't miss too. He was just an average player. But look how hot he was when he first came up. In 109 ABs during his first piece of real MLB playing time in 1988, his OPS+ was 178. That's Pujols type numbers, to use a current player as a frame of reference.

Ghosts of 1990
06-02-2008, 10:16 PM
Hamilton hit a 2 run bomb tonight, now has 65 RBI

Ghosts of 1990
06-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Bruce has the potential to be the best player in baseball. Not ever, but currently. :)

Will it happen, maybe, but it also may not.

Remember, Gregg Jefferies was can't miss too. He was just an average player. But look how hot he was when he first came up. In 109 ABs during his first piece of real MLB playing time in 1988, his OPS+ was 178. That's Pujols type numbers, to use a current player as a frame of reference.

Gregg Jeffries was pretty good man. His numbers were deflated by the era he played in but I absolutely understand your point.

gilpdawg
06-02-2008, 10:21 PM
Gregg Jeffries was pretty good man. His numbers were deflated by the era he played in but I absolutely understand your point.

Well, yeah, I didn't say he sucked. He was slightly above league averages for part of his career then fell off fairly young. He had a nice career. If you were collecting baseball cards in 88-89 I'm sure you remember the hype though.

Kingspoint
06-02-2008, 10:23 PM
If we had Hamilton, Dusty still would have played Patterson over him.

NarrowStairs
06-02-2008, 10:29 PM
Hamilton has a better arm.
That part is not up for debate.

The other 4 tools are up in the air to me.

gilpdawg
06-02-2008, 10:32 PM
If we had Hamilton, Dusty still would have played Patterson over him.
If we still had Hamilton, Patterson would not have been signed. At least I hope not.

Redeye fly
06-02-2008, 10:52 PM
And if we had Hamilton, just think of all the games that we could have had Josh Fogg and Matt Belisle in the starting rotation at the same time, with no Volquez.

That said, Hamilton actually would have deserved to play over Jay Bruce if he was still here, based on last season's major league success alone. Patterson though? Well, we all know the answer to that one.

Ghosts of 1990
06-02-2008, 11:19 PM
There is no right answer right now. Maybe in 10 years, maybe it will be tough and ironic both because they'll both be all world. Can anyone imagine if they'd have been in the same outfield? Can you even imagine?

All I know is I wouldn't take Hamilton for Bruce right now.... no way.

SultanOfSwing
06-02-2008, 11:25 PM
Hamilton has a better arm.
That part is not up for debate.

The other 4 tools are up in the air to me.
I am not so sure about that. They both have absolute canons. It has always been a high mark for Bruce.

We just haven't seen Bruce Almighty's howitzer yet.

Likely a slight advantage for Bruce with speed.
Hamilton has more raw power right now, but Bruce will easily match and maybe even eclipse him as he fills out.
Defensively they are very, very similar. Good jumps, average routes, good speed, strong arms. Maybe a slight edge to Bruce because of age and overall athleticism.
I believe Bruce has a decent advantage with BA.

Of course, this is all projection. Both have to prove themselves for a longer period of time.

Ghosts of 1990
06-02-2008, 11:55 PM
Power: Hamilton
Line Drive Power: Bruce
Speed: Hamilton
Hit for Average: Tough, I'll say Push
Arm: Hamilton
Overall defense: Push
Lineup: Bruce

just my opinions
and I like Bruce better

Jones1
06-03-2008, 07:28 AM
Only one cheats on his hot wife though. If Hamilton is such a good christian then why is he hitting on 9th grade girls?
Check out this vid on you tube? You be the judge.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fKplqfDcURc

CarolinaRedleg
06-03-2008, 08:01 AM

Wearing the uniform of the good guys: Bruce

smoke6
06-03-2008, 08:49 AM
Still too early for both (waaaay too early for JB though).

Grande Donkey
06-03-2008, 08:56 AM

just my opinions
and I like Bruce betterJay Bruce has more raw power than Hammy does, its just not completely developed yet. The ball that Jay Bruce hit out last night is proof of that. There are only a couple guys in this league that can do that and I don't think Hammy is one of them. Jay Bruce also has an edge in durability and there are no fears of him getting back on drugs. That is nothing against Hammy, I love Hammy, but its JMO.

ChatterRed
06-03-2008, 11:50 AM
I think Hamilton is a better hitter than Bruce right now.

The real question is, would you rather have JUST HAMILTON or would you rather have Volquez/Bruce than Hamilton?

So the equation right now looks like this: Volquez/Bruce > Hamilton

podgejeff_
06-03-2008, 11:57 AM

just my opinions
and I like Bruce better

You forgot a big one...

Health: Bruce by a longshot (when taking any possibility of a relapse into account).

If I had my choice between the two I'd still take Bruce. When the choice is between Bruce/Volquez/Herrera against just Hamilton the choice is obvious. Hamilton is still going to be a great one, though. Just think of a scenario where we could have all three...

cbusredsfan
06-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Funny, I recently read where Josh Hamilton changed agents, in the middle of contract negotiations with Texas. Wonder if this is the guy Josh left?

BlastFurnace
06-03-2008, 03:12 PM
Only one cheats on his hot wife though. If Hamilton is such a good christian then why is he hitting on 9th grade girls?
Check out this vid on you tube? You be the judge.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=fKplqfDcURc

That is an awfully pathetic conclusion to come to.

BlastFurnace
06-03-2008, 03:20 PM
Why is it that one has to be better than the other? They are both tremendous Baseball Players who have great careers ahead of them. Yes, Josh needs to stay clean, but being 27, he could easily play another 13 years and put up some great numbers.

I wish we still had Hamilton and Bruce to play CF and RF for "US" for the next 10-13 years, but we don't. It would be a tremendous young tandem that we haven't had since Foster and Griffey were playing the corner OF positions.

I get to see Hamilton play every day out here in Texas. Believe me, the people out here say the same things many Reds fans say, but the opposite...."Volquez would look good in our rotation, but I still think we got the better of the deal with Hamilton".

I like them both. I don't think you could go wrong either way if you picked one over the other.

RSNtransplant
06-03-2008, 04:45 PM
After seeing Hamilton in a few Dozen games last season and Bruce in 5 of the 6 home games, I'd say at this point Hamilton is better. He looked better fielding, had a stronger arm and drove the ball with more authority. He's also entering/at his prime for physical development, so Bruce has a few years to catchup. Just guessing they probably had similar opportunity/time in the minors? With Hamilton missing 2-3 years, they may be equivalent w/ respect to point in career when it comes to time spent in development, not sure.

I haven't heard Dunn say "Bruce is the best player he's ever seen"