PDA

View Full Version : When Bailey comes up

Kc61
06-03-2008, 12:17 AM
Who goes down?

Likely a pitcher, right?

Majewski? Looked good tonight.

One of the lefties?

Weathers? Has been a pretty important guy, would Reds really cut him loose?

Lincoln? Been good of late.

A non-pitcher? The bench is pretty shallow with five.

All I know is it won't be Bruce.

Cedric
06-03-2008, 12:25 AM
I think Phillips is gone.

cincrazy
06-03-2008, 12:28 AM
I think Phillips is gone.

I stared at this post for about 5 minutes before realizing, "Ohhhhhhhhhh, he means ANDY Phillips, not Brandon." :)

Kc61
06-03-2008, 12:29 AM
Phillips means 13 pitchers and a 4 man bench.

reds44
06-03-2008, 12:34 AM
Phillips means 13 pitchers and a 4 man bench.
With 3 catchers, leaving Freel and Janish to backup 6 positions.

fearofpopvol1
06-03-2008, 12:35 AM
I think it comes down to who would you rather have pitch, Majewski or Lincoln? I'd vote for Weathers to go at this point (even though I love what he's done the last couple of years), but I don't think that's going to happen. I think whoever screws up the most in the next 2 games (between Lincoln and Majewski) is the one to go down.

OnBaseMachine
06-03-2008, 12:41 AM
I would honestly keep Mike Lincoln over Weathers. Weathers is a good guy and all, but it seems like he gives up a run in nearly every one of his appearances. Lincoln isn't great but at least he's capable of pitching well at times. He's allowed 16 earned runs in 25.2 innings but eight of those came in back-to-back appearances against the Mets and Marlins. Plus he's throw 4.2 consecutive scoreless innings with only two baserunners and six strikeouts. I'm sure someone like the Tigers would take Weathers off our hands.

camisadelgolf
06-03-2008, 01:02 AM
I think Valentin is DFAed or Majewski is optioned.

Cedric
06-03-2008, 01:05 AM
Well the Reds aren't crazy enough to go with a 13 man pitching staff. I have no clue what they will do then.

Wheelhouse
06-03-2008, 01:34 AM
I think Valentin is DFAed or Majewski is optioned.

These sound like the two most likely options.

mth123
06-03-2008, 05:24 AM
Valentin is the only lefty bat on the bench. He stays.

The team has struggled with starters not going deep into games. There are no off days on the horizon. 13 pitchers really isn't out of the question. Plenty of guys to catch. Javy can play 1b. Janish is better than solid at SS. Freel and Hairston can play everywhere else. I think A. Phillips goes down for now and they go with 13 pitchers. They go back to 12 when the schedule lightens up.

Triples
06-03-2008, 08:41 AM
With 3 catchers, leaving Freel and Janish to backup 6 positions.

Actually, Dusty mentioned after last nights game they are thinking of going with 13 pitchers. However, between Janish and Freel and 3 catchers, what position can't be covered for a game or two? Janish can plan 3 infield positions and Freel can cover in all 3 outfield positions as well as 2nd and 3rd. I would imagine Janish could cover LF for a game if need be as well. Or put Votto in LF and run Valentin out to 1b for a game. The more I think about it the more I like the 13 pitchers.

camisadelgolf
06-03-2008, 09:20 AM
If Weathers says he is retiring after this year, I'd try like hell to trade him. If he wants to keep playing, I'd keep him on the team, offer him arbitration, and collect the compensation from him being a type A or B free agent. Then again, if he's a type A free agent, no one might sign him.

puca
06-03-2008, 10:43 AM
If Weathers says he is retiring after this year, I'd try like hell to trade him. If he wants to keep playing, I'd keep him on the team, offer him arbitration, and collect the compensation from him being a type A or B free agent. Then again, if he's a type A free agent, no one might sign him.

Playing the arbitration game with Weathers would be dangerous.

He would likely get more via arbitration than anyone would be willing to offer on the open market.

RedLegSuperStar
06-03-2008, 10:54 AM
My guess is Lincoln is gone

camisadelgolf
06-03-2008, 11:13 AM
Playing the arbitration game with Weathers would be dangerous.

He would likely get more via arbitration than anyone would be willing to offer on the open market.

If the Reds' front office has a good relationship with him, they could ask him if he would accept arbitration if they offered it to him.

fearofpopvol1
06-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Another possibility though...I could see Janish possibly going down.

bucksfan2
06-03-2008, 01:44 PM
Another possibility though...I could see Janish possibly going down.

Who is the backup SS? The reason it could work with only 4 bench players is because Hariston can play every position and Freel can play quite a few. Without Janish Hariston has to play every inning of every game at SS until Keppinger comes back.

Please DFA Valentine

The_jbh
06-03-2008, 02:21 PM
I think people underestimate Valentin as our most reliable pitch hitter. he was pretty clutch last year

Jpup
06-03-2008, 03:04 PM
I think people underestimate Valentin as our most reliable pitch hitter. he was pretty clutch last year

there is no such thing.:)

VR
06-03-2008, 03:26 PM
Most likely they'll let either Weathers or Lincoln know that their arm or shoulder hurts.

BRM
06-03-2008, 03:27 PM

His numbers as a pinch-hitter last year were pretty pedestrian.

camisadelgolf
06-03-2008, 03:51 PM
His numbers as a pinch-hitter last year were pretty pedestrian.

That's not the point. The point is that he was the protypical (non-existent) clutch hitter.

BRM
06-03-2008, 03:58 PM
That's not the point. The point is that he was the protypical (non-existent) clutch hitter.

Yeah, he's the epitome of clutch.

Highlifeman21
06-03-2008, 04:48 PM
If Javier Valentin is clutch, then I'm better looking than George Clooney or Brad Pitt.

Or I'm a better golfer than Tiger Woods.

Yeah....

reds44
06-03-2008, 04:57 PM
Who is the backup SS? The reason it could work with only 4 bench players is because Hariston can play every position and Freel can play quite a few. Without Janish Hariston has to play every inning of every game at SS until Keppinger comes back.

Please DFA Valentine
If you DFA Valentin, then you don't have a backup 1st baseman.

camisadelgolf
06-03-2008, 05:07 PM
If you DFA Valentin, then you don't have a backup 1st baseman.

Andy Phillips? Adam Dunn? The rest of the position players?

reds44
06-03-2008, 05:51 PM
Andy Phillips? Adam Dunn? The rest of the position players?
Forgot about Phillips.

Adam Dunn? No.

buckeyenut
06-03-2008, 05:56 PM
I think Herrera goes back down.

BRM
06-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Adam Dunn? No.

Dunn's logged more time at 1B than Valentin during their careers.

REDREAD
06-04-2008, 03:41 PM

There's no way I take the risk of offering Weathers arbitration. I bet he'd accept in a heartbeat. Then you're stuck with him for another year.
He'd win more in arb than on the open market, plus he seems to like it here and would like to play another year.

REDREAD
06-04-2008, 03:44 PM
If the Reds' front office has a good relationship with him, they could ask him if he would accept arbitration if they offered it to him.

But if he wants to play another year, why would he agree to decline arbitration? All that does is make it harder for him to sign somewhere else.

If he says "Yes, I would accept arbitration", then do the Reds tell Weathers "Sorry, we aren't bringing you back".. That seems pretty cold and classless.

Back to the original topic, I'm guessing the Reds go with 13 pitchers, at least for awhile. The bullpen is gassed.

RedsManRick
06-04-2008, 04:19 PM
If he says "Yes, I would accept arbitration", then do the Reds tell Weathers "Sorry, we aren't bringing you back".. That seems pretty cold and classless.

Didn't the Reds play that exact game with somebody a year or two ago, offering them arb only to not follow through on it when they accepted?

BuckeyeRedleg
06-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Javy Valentin has a career .585 OPS as a PH.

Kc61
06-04-2008, 10:18 PM
We still don't have an answer, do we? Who goes tomorrow?

bucksfan2
06-05-2008, 09:57 AM
We still don't have an answer, do we? Who goes tomorrow?

Patterson? Heck yesterday Cordero put better wood on the ball in his second career bat than Patterson has for a month.