PDA

View Full Version : NHL Stanley Cup Finals

SteelSD
06-03-2008, 01:11 AM
Wow. If you're a hockey fan, you just watched what I consider to be one of the best Stanley Cup Finals games ever. It took 3 Overtimes to decide this one and the Penguins salvaged a chance at game 6 with only 34 seconds to play in regulation after pulling their goalie. Petr Sykora actually called his shot in OT well before tallying the game-winning goal. An injured Sergei Gonchar on the ice and grabbing an Assist for that goal? For a single game, that's stuff of legend.

Now, before I continue, this needs to be said...

Even though I'm a huge Penguins fan, the Red Wings are obviously the better team. They have the better defensive plan. They're deeper in skaters and puck handlers. They're better conditioned. Their rink is nearly an unfair advantage because the boards there are like pinball bumpers and they take advantage of that, and did to an extreme in their throttling of the Pens in the first two games. Goliath started the series by beating down David. But David is as even as they can be after five games when heading back to their own arena.

This series heads back to Pittsburgh for game 6 with the Pens down only one game. Realistically, I expect the series to end in Detroit's favor right there and then. However, the Pens have been learning on-the-fly about how to play the 'Wings and how to play in that pinball-machine of an arena. It's interesting to watch and it's possible that their road win at an impossible arena may have given them confidence and isolated a better gameplan.

Classic contest. Interesting matchup. Drama and legend galore. Everything I'd want in a series, even if my team (Pens) is a huge underdog.

Simply fun to watch.

MasonBuzz3
06-03-2008, 01:35 AM
Marc Andre Fleury was an absolute beast in the overtime periods. The Wings had a handful of legitimate chances to seal the Cup win and he turned away every shot. He was unbelievable.
That being said, it seems like Detroit has dominated every game of the series but somehow Pittsburgh has won two games. I agree with you that Detroit will likely end the series on Wednesday in Pittsburgh. But this has been a great final series for the sport.

Patrick Bateman
06-03-2008, 02:01 AM
Good post Steel, and I can say I enjoyed every minute of it. I'm definitely pulling for the Pens, partially because they were my pick going into the playoffs, plus being a Blackhawk fan, I absolutely hate the Red Wings.

Yes Detroit is the better team, but the Fleury-Osgood match-up helps equalize that. Since coming back from injury, Fleury has been on a great run, and has been fabulous throughout the playoffs. He can steal a game, even when Detroit brings their A game, and that's why I think there was still hope down 3 games to 1. I'm going to continue being stubborn and predict Pens in 7.

My lord you must have been happy when Talbot scored to tie the game. I mean I had to bring out a fist pump and I have no real ties to the team. I tell you, the only thing that I love more than a game tieing goal in the final minute is a game tieing homer in the bottom of the 9th. That was the best moment of the playoffs for me... well maybe PM Bouchards OT game winner early on when I was rooting for the Wild was pretty good too.

I have reason to where my Pens jersey with pride tommorow.

SunDeck
06-03-2008, 07:20 AM
I know next to nothing about hockey, but I love to watch games like the one last night. Being an old fart, I can't stay up late, but at least I caught that goal to tie the game and send it in to OT. That was some good stuff right there.

My wife wants to know why so many of the guys have beards.

halcyon
06-03-2008, 08:47 AM
I've never watched hockey before this year's playoffs and only got into it because a friend of mine (from Pitt) insisted on watching an early round Pens game on my big screen. Now I watch the Pens games even when he's not around and found last nite's game to be phenomenal.

Chip R
06-03-2008, 09:06 AM
I happened to catch the last part of the 2nd OT and watched till the game was over and a thought ran through my mind: I wondered how long do these fans stay at these multiple OT games. It didn't appear that too many fans in DET had left even in the 3rd OT.

westofyou
06-03-2008, 09:48 AM
Wednesday... now I have to wait until Wednesday... that was a great game, but man the interference calls were bunk...

My wife wants to know why so many of the guys have beards.

A playoff beard is the superstitious practice of a National Hockey League player not shaving his beard during the Stanley Cup playoffs. The player stops shaving when his team enters the playoffs and does not shave until his team is eliminated or wins the Stanley Cup. It is believed that the tradition was started in the 1980s by the New York Islanders.[1][2] The tradition is also practiced by nearly all North American hockey leagues, to include high school leagues and the NCAA hockey teams, as well as minor league affiliates.[3] The tradition has also spread to hockey leagues in Europe.

Raisor
06-03-2008, 10:24 AM
What a great game last night.

SunDeck
06-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Wednesday... now I have to wait until Wednesday... that was a great game, but man the interference calls were bunk...

A playoff beard is the superstitious practice of a National Hockey League player not shaving his beard during the Stanley Cup playoffs. The player stops shaving when his team enters the playoffs and does not shave until his team is eliminated or wins the Stanley Cup. It is believed that the tradition was started in the 1980s by the New York Islanders.[1][2] The tradition is also practiced by nearly all North American hockey leagues, to include high school leagues and the NCAA hockey teams, as well as minor league affiliates.[3] The tradition has also spread to hockey leagues in Europe.

I was hoping it was more about cultivating a lumber jack image.

Chip R
06-03-2008, 11:05 AM
I was hoping it was more about cultivating a lumber jack image.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1b/Lumberjack_Song.jpg

SteelSD
06-03-2008, 11:39 AM
My lord you must have been happy when Talbot scored to tie the game.

My wife and I were watching the game at that point with our two cockatoos. Whan Talbot batted that puck in, I jumped up and yelled. Then one of the birds joined in the cheering by puffing up his feathers and barking like a dog while swaying back and forth on the couch. And then the other started bouncing up and down and screaming. Meanwhile my wife sat there with a look of incredulity. Pretty funny looking cheering section at the Steel household to say the least.

I happened to catch the last part of the 2nd OT and watched till the game was over and a thought ran through my mind: I wondered how long do these fans stay at these multiple OT games. It didn't appear that too many fans in DET had left even in the 3rd OT.

Well, do consider that if the 'Wings scored a goal at any point in the overtime, they win the Stanley Cup. Let's say the Reds were up 3 games to 1 in the World Series and the 5th game went to extras. Do YOU leave?;)

Chip R
06-03-2008, 11:56 AM
Well, do consider that if the 'Wings scored a goal at any point in the overtime, they win the Stanley Cup. Let's say the Reds were up 3 games to 1 in the World Series and the 5th game went to extras. Do YOU leave?;)

True enough but I was really talking in general.

M2
06-03-2008, 12:06 PM
The last three Cup games have been great to watch. Credit to the Pens for stepping up their game, particularly the muckers like Staal, Ruutu and Malone. BTW, is it fair to call the Staals the new Sutters?

I kept waiting for Niklas Lidstrom to make a surgical strike at the net in OT, but he stayed back at the blue line. I thought he and Datsyuk (who was everywhere in the extra sessions) could have put together a combo play and ended it. The Wings forwards were doing a great job of occupying the Pens defensemen (who were draped all over them), but it left them out of position to do anything when someone made a run at the net. That's why a defenseman needed to pinch in and, with the space he had in front of him, a player of Lidstrom's skill (I say he's the best player in the NHL and has been for most of this decade) could have been lethal.

SandyD
06-03-2008, 08:53 PM
Alfred and I are talking about finding a sports bar to watch tomorrow night's game. Maybe.

We know NOTHING about hockey ... I think I was a teenager before I even knew there was such a sport as hockey.

BUT, we enjoyed the Brass when they were here, and I did enjoy little bit I saw last night.

Caveat Emperor
06-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Wow...

Fleury with an own-goal.

That has to be absolutely disheartening to the Penguins.

SteelSD
06-04-2008, 10:49 PM
Another fantastic game and I can't remember a series in my life where not only did a team survive two pulls of its goalie, it actually scored two goals with the goalie on the bench. Pittsburgh was obviously out-played during this entire series and sometimes a team needs to lose before it can learn how to win.

Congratulations to a top-notch Red Wings franchise and all Red Wings' fans have something to be very very proud of tonight. They won with great skill and class.

BTW, I am also very proud of the like-minded fans in Pittsburgh who are still standing in appreciation of what the 'Wings have accomplished.

missionhockey21
06-04-2008, 11:06 PM
My heart is breaking, just absolutely breaking. I remember the days of Mario-Jagr-Franchise, etc but being born in '85, I obviously couldn't appreciate it quite like I could do today. I was hoping for a last-second miracle, but it wasn't in the cards.

Congratulations to the Red Wings and their fans, perhaps our teams will meet again next year... a year wiser.

westofyou
06-05-2008, 12:43 AM
Good times.... good times... look at Dallas Drake in the right hand bottom corner.. the man lifted the cup and I shed a tear... that's how damn good this was.

http://cmsimg.freep.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=C4&Dato=20080604&Kategori=SPORTS05&Lopenr=806040807&Ref=PH&Item=2&MaxW=600&MaxH=450&border=0&Quality=100

Raisor
06-05-2008, 01:02 AM
That last shot by Hossa was a hair away from going in, right at the buzzer.

Great ending.

Patrick Bateman
06-05-2008, 01:55 AM
Congrats WOY.

westofyou
06-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Thursday, June 5, 2008
Drake's dream comes true
Veteran, 38, is first to take Cup from captain Lidstrom as his wins his first championship.
Dana Wakiji / The Detroit News

PITTSBURGH -- Dallas Drake nearly called it quits. At age 38, he knew he didn't have many more chances to win a Stanley Cup.

Then he returned to the team that drafted him in the sixth round in the 1989 NHL entry draft -- the Detroit Red Wings.

Wednesday night in Pittsburgh, after the Red Wings had held on for a 3-2 victory in Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Finals, Drake's lifelong dream came true.

After taking the Stanley Cup from commissioner Gary Bettman, captain Nick Lidstrom took his lap and then headed right for Drake.

"Unbelievable honor. I didn't expect that," Drake said of being the second player to hoist the Cup. "The guys pushed me out there. I couldn't be more thankful and grateful and so many words I want to say right now, I can't get them off my tongue."

Lidstrom said he had been planning the moment for quite a while.

"I started thinking about it, actually, in the first round," Lidstrom said. "I didn't tell anyone about it. But I started thinking about if we were to go the whole way, who should be the guy I gave it to first. And looking at all the players on our team, Dallas is one of the first ones I played with. He came in the year after I did. He's been in the league for 16 years. He had a long, good career. And he had never been to the Final before. So it felt natural for me to give it to him for all the effort and hours and everything he's put into the game, and not having a chance to hoist the Cup yet."

Drake's teammates were as thrilled for Drake as they were for themselves.

"I'm so happy for him," defenseman Niklas Kronwall said. "To be in the league for that long and to come to our team when he was basically going to quit the game, we're so happy to have him."

Drake said the last few moments of Game 6, when the Penguins had pulled goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury and were peppering Chris Osgood with shots, were extremely nerve-wracking.

"It was a close game, too close for a lot of us old guys on the bench," Drake said. "Our tickers can't take all that stuff but we managed to get through it. Very special feeling.

"It's unbelievable. It's a lifelong dream of every kid growing up in Canada and the United States to win that thing. I can't put into words exactly how I feel right now."

But Drake said he knew exactly how the Cup felt when he lifted it for the first time.

"It felt very heavy to me," Drake said. "I think it's more than 35 pounds. I'm going to get a scale out when I get it home."

No matter how heavy the Cup is, Drake said he'll never forget the feeling.

"I didn't think I was ever going to get a chance to lift it up, but a dream came true tonight," Drake said.

OldRightHander
06-05-2008, 09:22 PM
That's good for Drake. I've always like him. I wish he could have done it earlier, when he was still with the Blues, but better late than never. I reminds me of when Bourque finally won it with Colorado. I always liked seeing the aging athlete getting his first championship. That will bring a tear to your eye, even when it happens to a team you've spent your whole life rooting against.

Caveat Emperor
06-05-2008, 09:38 PM
FWIW -- apparently the game did very well in the overnights here in Cincy, came in 2nd place overall for the evening.

The NHL couldn't have asked for a better final 2 games to showcase its product on national TV.

missionhockey21
06-05-2008, 10:09 PM
The highest rated game 6 in eight years; obviously great news for the NHL. The ratings/share for the game in Pittsburgh was ridiculous as one might expect.

westofyou
06-06-2008, 10:39 AM
"I've never touched that Cup before," Drake said. "I dreamed of holding it over my head like every other kid growing up in Canada. But I've been in the same building and I'd never go near the thing. I refused to touch it. If it was rolling down the street, I'd probably have let it keep rolling. That's kind of a hockey superstition. If you want to touch it, you better get your name on it. ...

"For me to put my hands on it for all the right reasons -- it made my whole career worthwhile."

Chip R
06-06-2008, 10:50 AM
I didn't have a dog in this hunt since the Habs were knocked out but when the playoffs were up against an NBA game - even a game where the Celtics were playing - I was more interested in the hockey than the basketball. It was just non-stop action.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Can't say I'm too thrilled with the Red Wings championship, as the logo under my name may suggest. Great to see a good series though.

westofyou
06-06-2008, 03:05 PM
Can't say I'm too thrilled with the Red Wings championship, as the logo under my name may suggest. Great to see a good series though.

Surprised that the Aves fired Joe Q. he's a damn good coach... I really think they leaned too much on the old legs this season with the late signings/trades.

That's a GM's issues not the coach.

Chip R
06-06-2008, 04:38 PM
In a semi-related story, the Canadian Broadcasting Company may be shelving their long-time beloved theme song for Hockey Night In Canada.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=cp-nhl_hockey_night_theme&prov=cp&type=lgns

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-07-2008, 02:33 AM
Surprised that the Aves fired Joe Q. he's a damn good coach... I really think they leaned too much on the old legs this season with the late signings/trades.

That's a GM's issues not the coach.

Coach Q never could get the offense rolling in Colorado, despite having loads of weapons. He was solid but he couldn't seem to beat the Wings. The Avs were absolutely rolling and were playing, IMO, the best hockey in the league at the end of the year and during the first series vs. Minnesota. Then wham! Wings in a 4-game sweep.

Not sure Granato, who's a former Avs coach and was an assistant during the Avs' Cup runs in 96 and 01, is the answer either. But they'll be stacked offensively next season again. Hopefully Forsberg comes back. Then let's see.