PDA

View Full Version : 50 Best Damn Plays Ever

will5979
06-03-2008, 06:47 AM
I watched a show on FSN the other night that was hosted by Rob Dibble of the 50 best plays ever in baseball.

Of course the Reds only made 2 on the list and both were PEte Rose...70 All-Star game, and hit number 4192.

One play that is consider one of the greatest has always got under my skin, the 75 Fisk HR. First of all let me say that I do have an enormous hatred of the Red Sox and I honestly believe that this HR is the root of it. That HR meant NOTHING! IT won a game, who hoo. Did the Red Sox win the series, NO, the REDS did! How come Johnny Bench's 72 playoff HR never makes that list, or his HR on his retirement? I get so sick of the baseball world thinking that everything revolves around the freakin Red Sox. You get a team that has a little bit of success and the media goes nuts. They did the same crap with t \he Braves back in the 90s, hence my hatred of the Braves.

I had to vent this, again it was a HR to win a game, not the World Series. I guess it goes to show that when your organization sucks for 86 years they'll try anything for a little bit of glory, and unfortunately that HR takes away the Reds glory from that World Series which ticks me off to no end!

OTher than that clip I enjoyed the rest of the show.

CarolinaRedleg
06-03-2008, 08:59 AM
I just break out in laughter whenever that one's on and say something along the lines of, "Oh look....it's the greatest inconsequential home run of all time."

:thumbup:

podgejeff_
06-03-2008, 10:52 AM
I know it's too new to be considered, but Dunn's walk off grand slam should have been on there. Seriously how often do you see a walk off grand slam in baseball? As far as great plays goes that's about as good as baseball gets.

But then again, it was done by a member of a losing team that wasn't playing for anything. So, ultimately, inconsequential.

BurgervilleBuck
06-03-2008, 11:35 AM
The reason the Fisk home run is supposedly more memorable is due to it being a clutch hit and to Fisk's gesticulations. Other than that, it's just another HR. But the supposition is that the Red Sox won that series but what I tell my friend from Massachusetts (or anyone who crows about that home run): You got the highlight but we got the Ring.

I harbor no ill will towards the Sox. They are my second favorite team. For that WS, they were the enemy but until the teams meet again (next week, in fact), I will root for the Redlegs and the Red Sox.

Handofdeath
06-03-2008, 03:51 PM
What doesn't get mentioned often enough is that during the '75 WS Boston was playing without the services of Jim Rice, who was injured. He was 2nd for ROY and 3rd for MVP in the AL that season. I would have to think that had he been playing things might have come out a whole lot differently for the Reds.

BlastFurnace
06-03-2008, 06:01 PM
One of the funniest is when Dibble drilled Doug Dascenzo of the Cubs in the back with a ball after Dascenzo bunted against him.

Part of what made Rob great was how crazy he was. It seems that when he was sent to anger management class that he lost his edge.

He'll always be one of my favorite Reds from that 1990 team.

will5979
06-04-2008, 09:16 AM
What doesn't get mentioned often enough is that during the '75 WS Boston was playing without the services of Jim Rice, who was injured. He was 2nd for ROY and 3rd for MVP in the AL that season. I would have to think that had he been playing things might have come out a whole lot differently for the Reds.

With all due respect that is incorrect because no one would have beaten the 75-76 Reds, the team of destined greatness.