PDA

View Full Version : Griffey to Rays?

Oxilon
06-03-2008, 12:02 PM
No rumor or published report by any stretch, just an idea of mine. Griffey goes to a contending team in the AL, can DH, and will be very close to home. I wouldn't expect much in return for the trade or anything, maybe something along the lines of Griffey + CASH for a C/B level prospect maybe? Thoughts?

Z-Fly
06-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Maybe if we eat all of his remaining contract.

AdamDunn
06-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Maybe if we eat all of his remaining contract.

His salary isn't that large. $8,282,695 according to ESPN.

bgwilly31
06-03-2008, 12:31 PM
Griffey to anywhere is BEST right now.

However we need a RH power bat to replace him with immediately.

If we dont have that unfortunately were better off with him in the line-up.

Ryan freel
Or paul janish

Are not an improvement.

However when KEPP comes back.

If hairston can play center or right field and hairston continues to stay hot. This could be an improvement.

Fullboat
06-03-2008, 12:33 PM
I think if the Rays want him Griffey might go for it.Its Florida and they are
in first.

durl
06-03-2008, 12:34 PM
This cannot be a serious idea. The Reds paying Tampa Bay to take Griffey and only getting a C level prospect in return?

Fullboat
06-03-2008, 12:36 PM
This cannot be a serious idea. The Reds paying Tampa Bay to take Griffey and only getting a C level prospect in return?

What you expect a B or above w/o us paying his salary?

Fullboat
06-03-2008, 12:37 PM
What you expect a B or above w/o us paying his salary?

Never mind read it wrong

Homer Bailey
06-03-2008, 12:40 PM

That number is way wrong. He is making over 12 million this year, and is scheduled to make $16 Million next year. Hang on, I should be able to find the exact number.

Now that I think of it, I believe that a lot of Griffey's contract money was deferred, so maybe that's what the Reds are paying him right now, but still may owe him more in the future.

durl
06-03-2008, 12:41 PM

Griffey's deferred salary pays through 2024 to the tune of about $57 million.

And I believe Griffey has a $4 million buyout clause if the Reds don't pick up his option.

Homer Bailey
06-03-2008, 12:44 PM
00-08:$12.5M/year, 09:$16.5M club option ($4M buyout)
$57.5M in salary deferred at 4% interest, to be paid 2009-2024, reducing contract's present-day value at time of signing to between $9.2M and $9.3M annually, according to Reds management sources
$5.5M of 2000 salary deferred
$6.5M/year of 2001-2008 salaries deferred
signed 2/2000, replacing final year of previous contract

Trace's Daddy
06-03-2008, 12:48 PM
This would allow Griffey contend and be close to home. Also Hairston could move to the outfield where he belongs! And when Keppinger comes back, the lineup may be sufficient. Then use the money saved from Griffey's contract during the offseason for pitching, a right handed bat, or whatever.

HalMorrisRules
06-03-2008, 12:51 PM
I could see why the Rays could be for it and against it. They might be against it because they are doing it right now without him. But they also arent drawing any fans to see them play. Jr might be a huge PR move for them to get fans to the park. That being said, I doubt it will happen nor do I truly wish it to happen.

krm1580
06-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Ask yourself a simple question, what does the 2008 version of Ken Griffey Jr. bring to a baseball team
1.) Limited defense
2.) Limited offense (he is slugging .397 and on pace for 15 HRs)
3.) Limited playoff experience
4.) Relatively high salary

Now what would you be willing to give up for what amounts to a light hitting DH?

The bottom line is, unless Griffey says get me out of here, I cannot imagine a scenario where the Reds could trade him simply because I can't imagine why any team woudl want him.

UC_Ken
06-03-2008, 02:27 PM
I was actually discussing this with someone last weekend. I was more speculating on where Griffey would end up after the Reds paid his buyout this offseason. They're contending, they're in the AL, and their the closest MLB team to his home in Orlando. For this to happen Tampa has to believe that Griffey isn't done and that he's worth whatever he's asking for (maybe 2 yrs./ $15 mil).

bgwilly31
06-03-2008, 03:20 PM
Doesnt this go against everything Tampa stands for.

Arent they know for young Players and cheap salaries.

Or hold on.... maybe im thinking of the marlins.

UC_Ken
06-03-2008, 04:43 PM
Tampa has never put money into player salaries but my thinking is that being a contender with a ton of young talent they may benefit from a veteran presence.

_Sir_Charles_
06-03-2008, 04:45 PM

*opens his wallet and looks over his checkbook* Ummm, I don't know what's in YOUR bank account...but that looks pretty large to me. :O)

Can you imagine anybody making that statement 20 years ago? *grin*

Jack Burton
06-03-2008, 05:23 PM
As stated before, I doubt the Rays would want Griff. He'd be more likely to end up on the Red Sox.

_Sir_Charles_
06-03-2008, 05:39 PM
How much do you guys want to bet that at the end of the season, he simply decides to retire gracefully. It's becoming more and more obvious that there isn't a demand for him in the market and Griffey strikes me as a player who wants to go out on a team that holds some sort of meaning to him personally. That means the Reds or the Mariners. It looks like the Mariner interest in him is gone. Not the fan's interest, but the FO. I just bet that if the Reds tell him that they're not going to pick up his option that he'll just decide to hang 'em up. He doesn't strike me as a guy who'll just "hang around" too long.

Homer Bailey
06-03-2008, 05:57 PM
How much do you guys want to bet that at the end of the season, he simply decides to retire gracefully. It's becoming more and more obvious that there isn't a demand for him in the market and Griffey strikes me as a player who wants to go out on a team that holds some sort of meaning to him personally. That means the Reds or the Mariners. It looks like the Mariner interest in him is gone. Not the fan's interest, but the FO. I just bet that if the Reds tell him that they're not going to pick up his option that he'll just decide to hang 'em up. He doesn't strike me as a guy who'll just "hang around" too long.

There are times when I feel like he really doesn't have anything left, and that he should retire.

However, whenever he puts that beautiful swing on a ball and drives it out of the park, those feelings quickly go away. I'm confident that Griffey is going to have a solid season this year and remind us how much of a talent he really is.

Keystone12
06-03-2008, 06:18 PM
3.) Limited playoff experience

The bottom line is, unless Griffey says get me out of here, I cannot imagine a scenario where the Reds could trade him simply because I can't imagine why any team woudl want him.

What a bunch of nonsense. "Playoff experience" is a bunch of crap, just like "clutch hitting" is a bunch of crap. It's all about sample sizes, and if Junior Griffey is good at mashing the ball during the season, the odds are in favor of him mashing the ball in the playoffs are pretty good.

AdamDunn
06-03-2008, 08:26 PM
What a bunch of nonsense. "Playoff experience" is a bunch of crap, just like "clutch hitting" is a bunch of crap. It's all about sample sizes.

Bill James says differently

Brutus
06-03-2008, 08:47 PM
What a bunch of nonsense. "Playoff experience" is a bunch of crap, just like "clutch hitting" is a bunch of crap. It's all about sample sizes, and if Junior Griffey is good at mashing the ball during the season, the odds are in favor of him mashing the ball in the playoffs are pretty good.

Clutch hitting is not "crap."

Though it's a subjective term, as it means different things to different people, it makes sense that performing in higher-pressure situations is a repeatable skill just like anything in life. And as AdamDunn mentioned before me, Bill James has come around and determined that in fact there is enough statistical evidence to support that notion.

I do think Playoff Experience helps more than it hurts, meaning it's important. That said, I don't think it's the most important issue.

NarrowStairs
06-04-2008, 01:44 AM
These threads are STUPID and nothing but pure sausage.

Looking past that --- Griffey totally contradicts the Rays FO strategies.

DannyB
06-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Last night and tonights lineup is a perfect example of what we get when Griffey gets traded.
Not a pretty sight.