PDA

View Full Version : Mercker back to the DL...Herrera up

Matt700wlw
06-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Today the Reds placed on the 15-day disabled list LHP Kent Mercker and selected from Louisville the contract of LHP Danny Herrera...a corresponding 40-man roster move will be made prior to tonight's game.

Mercker, for the second time this season (5/9-5/28), is on the DL with lower back pain...he has returned to Cincinnati for an examination.

Herrera, 23, when he pitches will become the third Reds player this season to make his Major League debut (Cueto, Janish, Bruce)...he will wear uniform number 52...in 26 relief apps at Class AA Chattanooga and Class AAA Louisville he combined to go 3-1-3, 1.85 (39ip, 26h, 9r, 8er, 11bb, 26k, 1hr)...went 3-0, 2.55 in 10g for the Lookouts (4/3-4/23) and 0-1-3, 1.27 in 16g for the Bats (4/26-6/2)...his media guide bio is on page 250.

Danny Serafini
06-03-2008, 03:14 PM
Certainly didn't see that one coming.

Reds1
06-03-2008, 03:14 PM
I don't know this guy very well, but heck, the youngsters are doing well so let's go!

Matt700wlw
06-03-2008, 03:15 PM
He's the screwballer....the second part of the Josh Hamilton trade.

lollipopcurve
06-03-2008, 03:16 PM
I like this. Herrera vs Howard in this series...do not miss it.

Chip R
06-03-2008, 03:16 PM
I think he's the guy with the Bugs Bunny screwball.

Kc61
06-03-2008, 03:17 PM
Figured that Herrera would replace Mercker at some point, didn't think this soon though. Wonder if Herrera will go back down to make room for Bailey on Thursday.

RedsManRick
06-03-2008, 03:17 PM
Congrats to Herrera!! Can't wait to see the little guy pitch. Back to back with Cordero could be funny to watch - or relieving Harang.

I assume he goes down when Bailey comes up.

You have to wonder if this is the end for Mercker. Not good.

The_jbh
06-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Yeah I'm suprised they didnt just take the opportunity to move up Bailey... Did they need that lefty that badly for two days? I suppose so with the big bats in the phillies line up

RichRed
06-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Herrera, 23, when he pitches will become the third Reds player this season to make his Major League debut (Cueto, Janish, Bruce)

4th.

Jpup
06-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Yeah I'm suprised they didnt just take the opportunity to move up Bailey... Did they need that lefty that badly for two days? I suppose so with the big bats in the phillies line up

Bray and Affeldt could use all the help they can get.

Cyclone792
06-03-2008, 03:20 PM

This is the series where Bray and Affeldt were going to have to step up big in order for the Reds to have a chance. With Bray pitching last night, I'd expect to see Affeldt at some point tonight. Maybe Herrera too. This is a series where Bray and Affeldt could use some support down there.

Matt700wlw
06-03-2008, 03:20 PM
4th.

Nice math skills :D

Heath
06-03-2008, 03:21 PM
I just looked at the 40 man, the only names that scream at me are Javier Valentin or Corey Patterson.

Mario-Rijo
06-03-2008, 03:21 PM
I like this. Herrera vs Howard in this series...do not miss it.

Yeah this oughta be fun to see!

cumberlandreds
06-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Nice math skills :D

Janish,Cueto,Bruce and Herrera makes four.

I like all this new blood coming up from the minors. It's better than the recycled stuff that used to come up from AAA.

The_jbh
06-03-2008, 03:23 PM
This is the series where Bray and Affeldt were going to have to step up big in order for the Reds to have a chance. With Bray pitching last night, I'd expect to see Affeldt at some point tonight. Maybe Herrera too. This is a series where Bray and Affeldt could use some support down there.

I thought there was some rule that if someone was brought up they couldn't be sent down until after a certain time period like 10 days... but I believe its the other way around. If you send someone down you can't bring them up until 10 days later unless theres an injury?

Cyclone792
06-03-2008, 03:25 PM
I just looked at the 40 man, the only names that scream at me are Javier Valentin or Corey Patterson.

Drew T. Anderson

He's pretty much worthless as far as I'm concerned.

The Reds could also possibly send Hopper to the 60-day depending on his status. He hasn't played since April 19th so even on the 60-day he'd be only a few weeks away from returning.

Degenerate39
06-03-2008, 03:26 PM
Walt is really impressing me with his youth movements. If Bronson has another bad start or two I could see him going on the 15 day DL and Thompson getting a few starts in that time.

Cyclone792
06-03-2008, 03:26 PM
I thought there was some rule that if someone was brought up they couldn't be sent down until after a certain time period like 10 days... but I believe its the other way around. If you send someone down you can't bring them up until 10 days later unless theres an injury?

If you send a player down, they have to remain down for at least 10 days.

Unless there's an injury and you DL somebody. Then you can bring a guy right back up even if you just DL'd him the day before.

Sea Ray
06-03-2008, 03:28 PM
When do we stick a fork in Mercker? When you can't stay healthy, that's a sign your body's too old to play professional sports. If I'm the GM I open up a roster spot by putting Merck on the 60 day and thank him for his service...

Sea Ray
06-03-2008, 03:29 PM
Drew T. Anderson

He's pretty much worthless as far as I'm concerned.

The Reds could also possibly send Hopper to the 60-day depending on his status. He hasn't played since April 19th so even on the 60-day he'd be only a few weeks away from returning.

Those are two good points. Either move would be seamless

OnBaseMachine
06-03-2008, 03:30 PM
Nice to see Herrera get a chance.

indy_dave00
06-03-2008, 03:33 PM
Herrera's fastball tops out at 82 mph. He works normally in the 70's with screw ball and change ups, during a game vs Indianapolis , their announcers said that last pitch wasn't even fast enough to get you stopped for speeding on the highway with 55 mph speed limit.

His forte is keeping the ball low and pitching below the normal speed batters are use to.

Caveat Emperor
06-03-2008, 03:35 PM
His forte is keeping the ball low and pitching below the normal speed batters are use to.

Gimmick pitchers work best in small doses.

I imagine you'll see Herrera for a lot of 1-2 batter sequences while he's a big leaguer.

OldXOhio
06-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Walt is really impressing me with his youth movements. If Bronson has another bad start or two I could see him going on the 15 day DL and Thompson getting a few starts in that time.

Because he might be hurt or because of the bad outings?

Degenerate39
06-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Because he might be hurt or because of the bad outings?

Because of the bad outings. I doubt he's hurt but you never know when you use a pitcher on 3 days rest like they've been doing with Arroyo lately.

Mario-Rijo
06-03-2008, 03:52 PM
I'll tell ya what this move certainly makes for an interesting assortment of pitches from our relief corps. Everyone has a bit of a different finishing pitch.

Cordero - 4 Seamer
Weathers - Slider
Burton - Cutter
Affeldt - Curveball
Bray - Slider
Herrera - Screwball
Majewski - 2 Seamer

Question is has anyone on the big league club caught this kid yet?

The_jbh
06-03-2008, 03:54 PM
I'll tell ya what this move certainly makes for an interesting assortment of pitches from our relief corps. Everyone has a bit of a different finishing pitch.

Cordero - 4 Seamer
Weathers - Slider
Burton - Cutter
Affeldt - Curveball
Bray - Slider
Herrera - Screwball
Majewski - 2 Seamer

That's a good point. Bako lately caught him as a non-roster invite to spring training but that certainly isn't a guarentee and probably wasn't more than once or twice.

OldXOhio
06-03-2008, 03:54 PM
Because of the bad outings.

Arroyo had sub 2.00 ERA in his last five starts going into last night's game. Shouldn't the guy be given more than another bad start or two before looking to replace him?

11larkin11
06-03-2008, 03:56 PM

Cordero - 4 Seamer
Weathers - Slider
Burton - Cutter
Affeldt - Curveball
Bray - Slider
Herrera - Screwball
Majewski - 2 Seamer

Ross played down in AA for a few games, I believe, when DRH was there.

Degenerate39
06-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Arroyo had sub 2.00 ERA in his last five starts going into last night's game. Shouldn't the guy be given more than another bad start or two before looking to replace him?

I'm not saying he should go on the DL because of last night. I'm just saying if he has another bad outing or two then I could see Walt making a move to get Thompson up. Maybe just to give Arroyo a rest at least.

camisadelgolf
06-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Why are so many people assuming he'll go down when Bailey comes up? If so, that could be a waste of an option year on Herrera.

LincolnparkRed
06-03-2008, 04:00 PM

Of course not. This is redszone, where reasoned rational thought hasn't been seen since the reds were in the playoffs.

jojo
06-03-2008, 04:02 PM
Why are so many people assuming he'll go down when Bailey comes up? If so, that could be a waste of an option year on Herrera.

Options really aren't an issue with a guy like Herrera and an option is burnt with his call up anyway.

Degenerate39
06-03-2008, 04:03 PM
Of course not. This is redszone, where reasoned rational thought hasn't been seen since the reds were in the playoffs.

Once again I'm not saying Arroyo should be sent down. Jock has been calling up the young guns so far Bruce, Herrera, Janish, and soon Bailey. All I said was he could call up Thompson.

Danny Serafini
06-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Options really aren't an issue with a guy like Herrera and an option is burnt with his call up anyway.

The option doesn't get used until he is sent back down. If he stays up there's no option used.

REDREAD
06-03-2008, 04:17 PM
Because of the bad outings. I doubt he's hurt but you never know when you use a pitcher on 3 days rest like they've been doing with Arroyo lately.

If Arroyo is healthy, you've got to let him pitch. The club has a huge investment in him over the next 2.5 years.

There's no question Arroyo is one of the best 5 starting pitchers in the organization now. No offense, but it's not realistic to expect Thompson or Mallony to do better than Arroyo. There will be plenty of opportunities to audition Thompson/Mallony this year, if Walt wants to do that. No need to DL Arroyo.

REDREAD
06-03-2008, 04:19 PM

It looks like either Maj or Herra is going to stick around for awhile. Mercker's injury is legitimate. I can see him being on he DL for awhile.

As badly as the bullpen has been worked, it's not out of the question that the Reds might send down a position player and go with 13 pitchers for awhile either.. Not likely, but not out of the question.

jojo
06-03-2008, 04:20 PM
The option doesn't get used until he is sent back down. If he stays up there's no option used.

My quoted post was worded poorly....he's not staying up.

Screwball
06-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Given his diminutive stature (5'7", 145 lbs.), it's pretty amazing the numbers Herrera's been able to put up at each level.

2006 (R): 11.42 K/9, 0.00 BB/9, 11.42 K/BB, 2.08 ERA
2006 (A+): 10.29 K/9, 2.03 BB/9, 5.08 K/BB, 1.35 ERA
2007 (A+): 9.00 K/9, 4.09 BB/9, 2.20 K/BB 3.27 ERA
2007 (AA): 11.01 K/9, 3.04 BB/9, 3.20 K/BB, 3.78 ERA
2008 (AA): 5.09 K/9, 3.57 BB/9, 1.43 K/BB, 2.55 ERA
2008 (AAA): 6.75 K/9, 1.69 BB/9, 4.00 K/BB, 1.27 ERA

Other than 17 innings in Chattanooga this year, he's always had a solid to exceptional K/BB rate. He's also had solid HR rates well under 1.00 during his minor league career, so that shouldn't be a concern either. And, as someone else noted, he's only 23 (won't turn 24 until October), so he hasn't been old for his levels.

I'm really excited to see this guy pitch. I remember Marty and Brantley were rather impressed with the kid in ST. Plus, I gotta see him throw the pitch everyone's talking about: the Screwball. :)

15fan
06-03-2008, 04:31 PM
Gimmick pitchers work best in small doses.

Phil Niekro says "hello".

Fernando Valenzuela and Tim Wakefield are holding on lines 2 & 3, respectively.

jojo
06-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Phil Niekro says "hello".

Fernando Valenzuela and Tim Wakefield are holding on lines 2 & 3, respectively.

For every Neikro there are 10000 Jebidiah Mertin Mendelstats..... :cool:

bucksfan2
06-03-2008, 04:39 PM
What speed is too slow? I mean if they guy throws it up there in the 60's shouldnt a MLB player be able to just foul it off?

Heath
06-03-2008, 05:23 PM
What speed is too slow? I mean if they guy throws it up there in the 60's shouldnt a MLB player be able to just foul it off?

Not when you're used to seeing speed.

Major League hitters are impatient people. They want the ball NOW to hit.

It's hard to dial down the bat speed. "Screws" up the timing of the hitter.

Tim Wakefield used to throw a 29 mph knuckleball. It was sick.

camisadelgolf
06-03-2008, 05:27 PM
Is anyone shocked that Mercker has already seen time on the DL this year?

Will M
06-03-2008, 05:37 PM
i like it. give the youth with talent a shot.

walt is going to have to make a nice trade or two at some point. he needs to see how certain guys perform in the bigs so he can decide whether they are keepers or not.

Highlifeman21
06-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Had Herrera not been called up to replace Mercker, who is our next LHRP down in AAA?

camisadelgolf
06-03-2008, 05:50 PM
Had Herrera not been called up to replace Mercker, who is our next LHRP down in AAA?

I think it would be Pedro Viola unless Avery finally gets pushed to the pen before leaving as a six-year minor league free agent.

BRM
06-03-2008, 05:52 PM
I think it would be Pedro Viola unless Avery finally gets pushed to the pen before leaving as a six-year minor league free agent.

Viola is in AA. Maloney, Pettyjohn, and Pelland are the only lefties in Louisville currently. The first two are being used as starters so I guess that leaves Pelland.

TRF
06-03-2008, 06:01 PM
Pelland is on the 7 day DL. I think.

BRM
06-03-2008, 06:03 PM
Pelland is on the 7 day DL. I think.

He is.

Big Klu
06-03-2008, 06:04 PM
Figured that Herrera would replace Mercker at some point, didn't think this soon though. Wonder if Herrera will go back down to make room for Bailey on Thursday.

Bray and Affeldt could use all the help they can get.

If Herrera pitches well, I could see Bray being sent back to Louisville to make room for Homer. Bray has not impressed me at all this season.

RedsManRick
06-03-2008, 06:08 PM
If Herrera pitches well, I could see Bray being sent back to Louisville to make room for Homer. Bray has not impressed me at all this season.

Only problem I see is the walk rate, which hasn't been a problem for him in the past. He's striking guys out, no homers given up so far, I don't see what he's done to merit demotion.

It has to be Majewski or Herrera.

OldXOhio
06-03-2008, 06:20 PM

Bray's ERA/WHIP in his last 12 appearances have gone from 5.06/2.40 to 2.87/1.22. I don't get what sending him down would accomplish. There are better candidates for roster moves, aren't there?

reds44
06-03-2008, 06:50 PM
Quotes from Fay:

We were talking to Danny Herrera when David Weathers walked by.

"That's the first time you've looked down to a player," Weathers said.

Well, at least since I covered gymnastics.

Herrera is indeed 5-foot-6 or so.

But you've got handed to him: He's beat the odds. He was 45th round draft choice in 2006 and he's in the big leaguers. He throws 84 at best and he's in the big leagues.

"He looks like the bat boy," Dusty Baker said. "But it's a great story. You've either got to above the speed limit to be successful or under it."

Herrera wasn't expecting the call.

"Very surprising," he said. "I didn't expect it at all."

The reason?

"Lack of expereince," he said. "I've only been at Triple-A for two months. This is only my second year in the pro ball. I thought they've go with someone more experienced."

The self-taught screweball is his out pitch. "I throw a lot of different pitches," he said. "But it's definitely my money pitch."

WVRedsFan
06-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Bray's ERA/WHIP in his last 12 appearances have gone from 5.06/2.40 to 2.87/1.22. I don't get what sending him down would accomplish. There are better candidates for roster moves, aren't there?

I guess what people are saying is he is not light out. He's always in trouble, looks very hittable despite his strikeouts. He often doesn't make it through an inning without a walk or runners on base.

But I still vote for sending Majewski down.

Spring~Fields
06-03-2008, 06:55 PM
"Lack of expereince," he said. "I've only been at Triple-A for two months. This is only my second year in the pro ball. I thought they've go with someone more experienced."

Interesting, plus they have to clear a roster spot for him don't they ?

Perhaps Maloney would have been the better option than Bailey after all.

Will M
06-03-2008, 07:25 PM
I guess what people are saying is he is not light out. He's always in trouble, looks very hittable despite his strikeouts. He often doesn't make it through an inning without a walk or runners on base.

Bray is 24 years old. unless he gets lit up he needs to stay.
we need to find out if he can get major league hitters out and if he can be counted on to be a solid bullpen member the next few years.
sending him back to AAA accomplishes nothing

fearofpopvol1
06-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Only problem I see is the walk rate, which hasn't been a problem for him in the past. He's striking guys out, no homers given up so far, I don't see what he's done to merit demotion.

It has to be Majewski or Herrera.

BAA for Bray has been hovering around .300 since he's been up. That's obviously a bit high. He's kind of hittable, but I think he's an okay reliever.

Unrelated, I hope he pitches tonight. I want to see the screwball!

Big Klu
06-03-2008, 08:33 PM

Once again, you have said succinctly what I was trying to convey! :thumbup:

Blitz Dorsey
06-03-2008, 10:16 PM
The words Real Deal Holyfield come to mind.

Danny Herrera is for real!

Checkmate on "the trade."

GAC
06-03-2008, 10:27 PM
You won't see either Mercker or Weathers on this team in '09. ;)

VR
06-03-2008, 11:30 PM
2nd and 3rd, no outs, having to face Victorino/ Utley/ Howard/ Burrell. Unscathed.

That's as tough as it gets for a ML reliever. You have to give him great credit for not only his stuff, but the freaky poise needed to even get pitches across in that situation.

fearofpopvol1
06-03-2008, 11:35 PM
Seriously. What an amazing debut. He obviously doesn't have the best stuff, but he's effective and works with what he has very well. Imagine the pressure of making your debut against the heart of one of the best lineups in baseball with no outs and men at 2nd and 3rd and getting out of it?!

Listening to the Phillies announcers analyze him was funny. "That pitch kind of looked like a screwball?"

VR
06-03-2008, 11:46 PM
2 pages about a scrawny, screwball throwing lefty.....and no mention yet of Johnny Franco?

OnBaseMachine
06-03-2008, 11:55 PM
I'll leave you with an up note. The debut of 5-foot-7 Danny Herrera had to make anyone who's ever been told they're too small to excel feel warm inside. He was spectacular. He came into an nearly impossible situation -- second and third, no outs against the heart of the Phillie lineup -- he got out of it. By striking out Ryan Howard and Pat Burrell no less.

"I was very impressed," Baker said. "I know he wasn't scared."

Maybe a little bit.

"I was pretty nervous at first," Herrera said. "But as soon as I threw that first pitch, it was like another outing, just a bigger stage. I was hitting some spots and they were chasing."

Herrera got Howard with an 80 mph cutter and Burrell with a 85 mph fastball.

http://beta.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3acff64072-5b06-474d-8b95-fb127f448037&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

Buckeye33
06-04-2008, 12:32 AM
I loved the way he walked towards home plate after striking out Burrell. My wife and I said that he had a swagger and probably has a slight "little man" syndrome.

Big Klu
06-04-2008, 12:41 AM
I found it interesting that Chris Welsh said that Herrera graduated from legendary Odessa Permian High School. I don't know if he played any football there, but that's just about as big a stage as there is at the high school level.

OnBaseMachine
06-04-2008, 01:06 AM
Herrera's screwball has him living large
Listen to this article or download audio file.Click-2-Listen

By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

Wednesday, June 04, 2008

PHILADELPHIA Danny Herrera has heard all the wisecracks and short jokes from friends, from teammates, stuff like, "Shouldn't you be on top of a wedding cake?"

Cincinnati Reds equipment manager Rick Stowe playfully said they considered giving him uniform number 2/16ths, "Because 1/8th already has been used (when Bill Veeck used 3-foot-7 Eddie Gaedel to pinch hit for the 1951 St. Louis Browns)."

Herrera, 5-foot-6, 145 pounds, joined the Reds on Tuesday, June 4, retrieved from Class AAA Louisville when Kent Mercker returned to the disabled list, this time on the 60-day DL.

Herrera, a left-handed relief pitcher, is quite a story:

The 45th-round draft pick of the Texas Rangers in 2006 was sent to the Reds with Edinson Volquez in the Josh Hamilton trade.

Attended Odessa (Texas) Permian High School, the school in the book/movie/TV series "Friday Night Lights."

Pitching for the Reds in an exhibition game this spring, he threw the last pitch in old Al Lang Field, now torn down.

Reds manager Dusty Baker was in wisecrack mode when he said, "When you see him, he'll look like the batboy. But, hey, what a great story. He'll be great motivation for people who hear they don't have enough of this or enough of that or you're too short or too skinny or too fat or too something.

"That's the beauty of baseball. Those types have to be stronger mentally to make it."

Herrera, 23, only throws 84 miles an hour and throws a screwball. He was 3-0 with a 2.55 ERA in 10 appearances at Class AA Chattanooga before he was promoted to Class AAA Louisville, where he was 0-1 with three saves and a 1.27 ERA in 16 appearances.

"I thought I'd be the last candidate to come up because of lack of experience, only a month in Triple-A," he said. "Only my second year of pro ball. This early in the season I thought they'd want more experience."

Of his screwball, a pitch used by Tom "Perfect Game" Browning, Herrera said, "It is my money pitch. I learned it my sophomore year of college (then he went 10-0 in 17 starts at the University of New Mexico in 2006). It is self-taught and developed over three years of trial and error with different grips."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/reds/2008/06/03/ddn060408spredsnotes.html

BTW on Hal's blog he says Mercker will most likely announce his retirement soon.

fearofpopvol1
06-04-2008, 01:18 AM
I think Herrera is obviously going to be a pitcher that relies solely on location. He's going to get lit up from time to time, but if he hits spots, he's going to strike out batters and induce groundballs. I think small doses is the way to go too and sticking him in between hard(er) throwers.

AmarilloRed
06-04-2008, 01:38 AM
I made a pretty strong thread in the Minor League Forum about my desire to see Herrera on the Reds, so I am pretty happy with this callup. He seems to have had a pretty successful opening debut, and I hope he can become a successful reliever for the Reds this year.

Spring~Fields
06-04-2008, 03:40 AM
I made a pretty strong thread in the Minor League Forum about my desire to see Herrera on the Reds, so I am pretty happy with this callup. He seems to have had a pretty successful opening debut, and I hope he can become a successful reliever for the Reds this year.

Yes you did, nice call. Yourself and some of the other's were right on top of this one. :thumbup:

WebScorpion
06-04-2008, 10:42 AM
I think Herrera is obviously going to be a pitcher that relies solely on location. He's going to get lit up from time to time, but if he hits spots, he's going to strike out batters and induce groundballs. I think small doses is the way to go too and sticking him in between hard(er) throwers.
No kidding. After facing 6 or 7 innings of Volquez or Cueto, it's going to be impossible to time this guys stuff...and if you do manage it, here comes Cordero. :eek: A hitter's nightmare!

Ltlabner
06-04-2008, 11:21 AM

Yep, small doses is the way to go with this type of pitcher.

If Dusty exposes him night after night he'll likely get eaten alive. However, if mixed in with a Harrang, Burton, Bray and Cordero (for example) he's likely to use his trick-bag to great success.

But if he is over-used, or is having an off night....yikes. Could be U.G.L.Y.

Sea Ray
06-04-2008, 12:50 PM
Is there a video of his performance last night? I missed it

OnBaseMachine
06-04-2008, 01:33 PM
Thinking out loud 6.4
Wednesday, June 4, 2008, 10:00 AM EST

OK, call up every rookie in the minor leagues, because as soon as a rookie is called up, he does good things.

Let's look at the four Reds who have made their Major League debuts

-- Johnny Cueto: 7 IP, 10 Ks

-- Paul Janish: walk-off single in extra innings

-- Jay Bruce: cured cancer

-- Danny Herrera: comes in with runners on second and third with no outs and the heart of the Phillies' order coming up. He gets a ground out, intentionally walks Chase Utley and then strikes out Ryan Howard and Pat Burrell.

I've been raving about Danny "the Other Guy" Herrera since I saw him in Chattanooga earlier this season. His screwball is nasty, and he topped out with an 85 mph fastball, but because of all his other stuff, it was enough to get Pat Burrell looking at it right over the heart of the plate. And then Burrell was so embarassed he got caught looking at an 85 mph fastball, he started arguing with the umpire, just to try to save face.

A lot of guys are going to be wondering how a 5-foot-6 guy struck them out with a high school fastball.

The thing that's impressed me the most about Herrera is that he spots his pitches and has great control. Exciting stuff for Herrera, unfortunately unlike those other rookies, he didn't get a victory in his first outing.

http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog

Danny Serafini
06-04-2008, 01:35 PM

It certainly was entertaining. He threw an assorted collection of junk, and the Phillies didn't seem to have any idea of what to do with it. He also hit 85, which I didn't think he could do. He spent a lot of time in the 70s and did drop into the 60s.

RedsManRick
06-04-2008, 01:41 PM
Guys' bats were just too fast. Howard was out ahead of everything, including a fastball. Burrell couldn't keep himself from pulling everything foul.

I definitely wouldn't want guys seeing him twice in the same game, maybe even the same series, but he's just so different from other pitchers that I see no reason he can't remain effective.

The speed seems to help even more because hitters are making their swing decisions earlier than they need to, before the ball begins to break. I think he's more vulnerable to really great hitters who can adjust, but will continue to flummox those who can't.

flyer85
06-04-2008, 01:42 PM
if you can spot your fastball and then get a decent difference in speed from fastball to offspeed stuff you can get people out.

Screwball
06-04-2008, 01:51 PM

I'm not sure if you're able to be in front of a TV, but FSN Ohio is replaying last night's game right now.

OnBaseMachine
06-04-2008, 01:54 PM
Follow this link below and you can find a video of Herrera pitching last night.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=502609

gm
06-04-2008, 02:59 PM
2 pages about a scrawny, screwball throwing lefty.....and no mention yet of Johnny Franco?

IIRC Franco threw the circle change, but he did turn it over like a screwball

Sea Ray
06-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Interesting, plus they have to clear a roster spot for him don't they ?

I must have missed it. What did they do to open up a spot on the 40 man roster for Danny Ray?

Sea Ray
06-04-2008, 07:10 PM
I must have missed it. What did they do to open up a spot on the 40 man roster for Danny Ray?

I see, it must have been Mercker on the 60 day.

Might as well join Smoltz on the golf course...

PuffyPig
06-04-2008, 08:03 PM
BAA for Bray has been hovering around .300 since he's been up. That's obviously a bit high. He's kind of hittable, but I think he's an okay reliever.

BAA for Bray is actually down to .253, and that's with an unlucky .326 BABIP.