PDA

View Full Version : Fun with stats

M2
06-03-2008, 04:34 PM
While we're well into the season, we're not so far into it not to see some freaky numbers born of small samples. Here's two that caught my eye:

Jayson Nix, 2B, Rockies has an OPS+ of -8 in 51 plate appearances. He's already been replaced, but it's incredibly difficult to post a negative OPS+. As such, I'm feeling pretty secure in guessing he won't win the ROY award.

And then there's Mariano Rivera. You might have heard of him. In 25 IP this season he has an ERA+ of 1,128. No, I didn't mistakenly add a number in the thousands column.

NJReds
06-03-2008, 04:43 PM
The amazing thing about Rivera is how effortless he appears to be throwing. And his pitches all come in about the same velocity, yet because of his cutter and his location, nobody can get clean contact. Of the few hits he does give up, many are broken bat bloopers into the OF.

camisadelgolf
06-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Nix was doing pretty badly. It reminds me of Corky Miller's stretch of having one hit in 61 at-bats. That's not even including his 2008 with Atlanta, which has him with a -22 OPS over 26 at-bats.

As for Mariano Rivera, his ERA+ is almost just as good as his career numbers in division series playoff games. If you're one of those people who says relievers don't belong in the Hall of Fame, check out Mariano Rivera's overall stats and then his playoff stats:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/r/riverma01.shtml