PDA

View Full Version : Strained hamstring for Freel

Reds Fanatic
06-03-2008, 09:54 PM
The update for Freel is a strained right hamstring. He will be flown to Cincinnati to be evaluated by team doctors tomorrow. I have a bad feeling if he goes on the DL Patterson is back.

Degenerate39
06-03-2008, 09:55 PM
Hopper will be back I believe.

VR
06-03-2008, 09:56 PM
The update for Freel is a strained right hamstring. He will be flown to Cincinnati to be evaluated by team doctors tomorrow. I have a bad feeling if he goes on the DL Patterson is back.

As predicted, he has gone "Deion" in Louisville.....hitting .438.

I really don't mind if he's off the bench....just keep him away from the top of the lineup.

Any word on Kepp or Gonzo?

Reds Fanatic
06-03-2008, 09:57 PM
I think Keppinger will be ready in a few weeks. Every update I have heard on him sounds good. I think it is going to be awhile for Gonzalez.

Big Klu
06-03-2008, 09:57 PM

Hopper will be back I believe.

In the immediate future, they might use Freel's roster spot for Bailey. But when the timecomes for an extra OF, I think it will be Hopper (if healthy). Patterson will get the call only if Norris is still injured.

Reds Fanatic
06-03-2008, 10:00 PM
This is an update as of last Saturday on Keppinger, Gonzalez and Hopper from the Enquirer. This does not sound like Hopper is ready to come back.

SHORTSTOPS: Keppinger and Alex Gonzalez are progressing. Keppinger took groundballs and did some running again Friday. Gonzalez, who has run about five times on the field, is up to about 70 percent. He's feeling good enough that he might accompany the team to Miami on the next road trip.

HOPPER UPDATE: Norris Hopper has been on the disabled list with an injured right elbow since April 23. The outfielder is going to get some at-bats in extended spring training in Sarasota.

"He's kind of stuck as far as progress on his arm. ... He's progressing, but he's not progressing quickly enough," Baker said.

gm
06-03-2008, 10:13 PM
Dusty said Freel heard a "pop" before he went down

Kc61
06-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Reds may not replace Freel with a position player immediately. They may use his spot for Bailey and go with a short bench for awhile.

gm
06-03-2008, 10:28 PM
The outfield is stretched pretty thin with Junior's sore knee and 3 catchers. In an emergency you could put A. Phillips or Votto out there, I suppose

REDREAD
06-03-2008, 10:28 PM
I think a lot depends on Jr's mystery soreness. If Jr isn't fully ready to play, they are pretty much going to be forced to DL Freel and call up an OF.

CTA513
06-03-2008, 10:35 PM
Put him on the DL and call up Chris Dickerson if you need another outfielder.

Kc61
06-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Put him on the DL and call up Chris Dickerson if you need another outfielder.

Why? Dickerson hasn't hit at AAA this year. .253 with 44 strikeouts.

Patterson slumped, he was not suited to the leadoff spot, but as a backup outfielder he'll be ok. He's a low OBP guy but he has power and speed and if used in the right role he'll do all right. The Reds don't have another suitable backup outfielder in the wings.

RedlegJake
06-03-2008, 11:52 PM
I'd guess that Hairston could go to the OF, Janish to SS, and they could bring up Green or Rosales instead of Dickerson or Patterson. I'll tell you, though, none of the above would be my preference.

CTA513
06-04-2008, 12:00 AM

Patterson slumped, he was not suited to the leadoff spot, but as a backup outfielder he'll be ok. He's a low OBP guy but he has power and speed and if used in the right role he'll do all right. The Reds don't have another suitable backup outfielder in the wings.

Patterson was given a chance already and they might as well give Dickerson a chance before bringing Patterson back.

reds44
06-04-2008, 12:30 AM
I'd guess that Hairston could go to the OF, Janish to SS, and they could bring up Green or Rosales instead of Dickerson or Patterson. I'll tell you, though, none of the above would be my preference.
Rosales: .200/.268/.288/.557
Green: .241/.307/.364/.671

I can't see either of those guys being brought up.

It really comes down to the two really fast, really good center fielders who can't hit a lick in AAA.

Dickerson: .252/.337/.381/.718

I would almost rather see Dickerson come up because we saw 150 plate appearances of garbage from Corey Patterson, and at least Dickerson will walk once in awhile.

To be quite honest, the Reds are just running out of legitimate options in AAA. Janish, Bruce, Hairston, and Phillips have already come up this year and it's only June 3rd. There's just not many AAA rosters that you can pull 4 (and now maybe 5) position players out of and not expect a dropoff.

My vote would go to Dickerson.

OnBaseMachine
06-04-2008, 12:44 AM
FWIW, Chris Dickerson was pulled after two plate appearances tonight and he's already on the 40-man roster. I think I would rather see him that Patterson at this point. I mean, why not go with the younger guy at the moment? It seemed to work with Janish and nearly all the other young talent they've called up. At least Dickerson has the ability to draw a walk and he's got a nice frame to develop a little power. Plus his defense is considered top notch. Give Patterson more time in AAA and let Dickerson get a chance.

AmarilloRed
06-04-2008, 12:45 AM
From Fay:

Ryan Freel is headed for the DL with a strained right hamstring.

"He heard something pop," Dusty Baker said.

Freel being out probably mean Corey Patterson will be back. With Ken Griffey Jr. hurting, the Reds need an outfielder. Patterson on the roster. I know that won't be a popular choice. But there aren't any alternatives. Norris Hopper still can't throw. Chris Dickerson is on the roster, but he's hitting .253 with 44 strikeouts in 154 at-bats.

http://beta.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?category=blog07&plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3ae57bcc87-152a-4f72-96fb-cc08b1f396efPost%3acff64072-5b06-474d-8b95-fb127f448037&sid=sitelife.cincinnati.com

reds44
06-04-2008, 12:49 AM
FWIW, Chris Dickerson was pulled after two plate appearances tonight and he's already on the 40-man roster. I think I would rather see him that Patterson at this point. I mean, why not go with the younger guy at the moment? It seemed to work with Janish and nearly all the other young talent they've called up. At least Dickerson has the ability to draw a walk and he's got a nice frame to develop a little power. Plus his defense is considered top notch. Give Patterson more time in AAA and let Dickerson get a chance.
I agree with you, I hope Dickerson gets the call. He strikes out alittle boy, but he walks a lot more. I'm not real sure what Patterson could have worked on in a week in AAA. Just leave him down there and let him do whatever he is doing.

Dickerson's probably never going to be anything but a bench player at best, but I am all for giving a young guy with all the "tools" a shot.

I checked gameday and the inning before Dickerson got pulled, there was an "On-Field Delay" with Dickerson on base. I have no idea if he got injured our not, just pointing out what I saw.

KronoRed
06-04-2008, 01:02 AM

Dickerson has a shot at being a useful member of this team next year, Patterson will be gone..why not go with some more youth?

redsrule2500
06-04-2008, 02:26 AM
Dickerson has a shot at being a useful member of this team next year, Patterson will be gone..why not go with some more youth?

I agree completely. Patterson isn't the future, he's the past. A bad past :p:

But seriously, I hope Freel is back ASAP!

Spring~Fields
06-04-2008, 02:35 AM

OBM
You've followed Dickerson and Bruce much more closely for a longer time than I have, which is the better CF Dickerson or Bruce? as I noticed that many times when I was watching Bruce and the Bats on MILB that Dickerson would be in RF while Bruce played CF.

I am assuming that "if" Dickerson was called up that Baker might just go with Hairston in either RF or CF and allow Janish to play short, what's your opinion?

Hap
06-04-2008, 09:55 AM
dewayne wise and reggie taylor say hello

REDREAD
06-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Patterson was given a chance already and they might as well give Dickerson a chance before bringing Patterson back.

I see the point you are trying to make, but if the Reds feel that Dickerson is not major league material, there's no point in calling him up and giving him a chance. The vast majority of minor leaguers just don't have what it takes to be ML players.

Good ML clubs don't waste a lot of at bats on the Ray Olmedos of the world.

IMO, Dickerson isn't a prospect. Patterson, while not great is a better player, so you call him up, as opposed to throwing Dickerson in there and hoping for a miracle.

RichRed
06-04-2008, 10:09 AM
Patterson slumped, he was not suited to the leadoff spot, but as a backup outfielder he'll be ok. He's a low OBP guy but he has power and speed and if used in the right role he'll do all right.

There is nothing to suggest that Dusty knows what the right role for Patterson is.

OnBaseMachine
06-04-2008, 10:23 AM
OBM
You've followed Dickerson and Bruce much more closely for a longer time than I have, which is the better CF Dickerson or Bruce? as I noticed that many times when I was watching Bruce and the Bats on MILB that Dickerson would be in RF while Bruce played CF.

I am assuming that "if" Dickerson was called up that Baker might just go with Hairston in either RF or CF and allow Janish to play short, what's your opinion?

From what I've read, Dickerson is a plus-plus defender in center field so I'd say the edge has to go to him. I think the only reason Bruce played CF more than Dickerson is because the Reds wanted him to get some more experience in CF in case he were called up.

WVRedsFan
06-04-2008, 10:26 AM
I agree completely. Patterson isn't the future, he's the past. A bad past :p:

But seriously, I hope Freel is back ASAP!

We definitely need Freel for depth, but it seems to be the same old story. Ryan goes through a hot streak and the manager decides he is the first option for whatever replacement he needs. He then goes into a funk.

Last 10 games, of which he has started 6, I believe, he's 6-26 (.231) with 2 runs scored and no RBI's. He's constantly hacking at the first pitch or early in the count. Same old thing. We desparately need him for depth, but I wish the manager had another option occasionally.

Kc61
06-04-2008, 10:37 AM
I see the point you are trying to make, but if the Reds feel that Dickerson is not major league material, there's no point in calling him up and giving him a chance. The vast majority of minor leaguers just don't have what it takes to be ML players.

Good ML clubs don't waste a lot of at bats on the Ray Olmedos of the world.

IMO, Dickerson isn't a prospect. Patterson, while not great is a better player, so you call him up, as opposed to throwing Dickerson in there and hoping for a miracle.

I agree with this, assuming you're correct that Dickerson is not viewed as a prospect. I'm all for moving up guys who the Reds see as part of the future. But if they view somebody as a AAA player, I see no point in bringing him up to sit on the bench.

As is customary with veterans like him, Patterson is being viewed in the worst possible light. He's a guy with an OBP problem but he once hit 24 homers and knocked in 72 in a major league season and is a polished major league defender. He's also a good bunter who can lay down a sac when needed. Used properly on the bench he could be acceptable.

If the Reds view Dickerson as a decent major league prospect, I'm all for calling him up. But if not, I'd rather go with the veteran.

And as for Dusty misusing him, that's highly unlikely now that Bruce is around and playing every day. The only place for Patterson now is the bench and Dusty is well aware of this.

REDREAD
06-04-2008, 10:38 AM
We definitely need Freel for depth, but it seems to be the same old story. Ryan goes through a hot streak and the manager decides he is the first option for whatever replacement he needs. He then goes into a funk..

Yep, for some reason the Reds need to relearn this every year. Freel is not an every day player. He gets overexposed with too much playing time. Either he stops hitting or gets hurt. That's why I was not a fan of the generous extension the Reds gave him.

Kc61
06-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Yep, for some reason the Reds need to relearn this every year. Freel is not an every day player. He gets overexposed with too much playing time. Either he stops hitting or gets hurt. That's why I was not a fan of the generous extension the Reds gave him.

To be fair, they haven't been using him as an everyday player. Freel is now strictly a bench player who subbed for Griffey for the last two days.

The Reds did give Freel a generous extension, but I think they viewed it as insurance in case other players got hurt or didn't pan out. His value is in his ability to fill in all over the field.

With today's personnel, including Hairston and Keppinger, Freel's importance on this team is diminished.

RedsMan3203
06-04-2008, 11:54 AM
Hell Bonds and Sosa are still available!

RedsManRick
06-04-2008, 12:23 PM

I'd take a Bonds/Griffey platoon in RF... Keep their legs fresh.

KronoRed
06-04-2008, 01:44 PM

Did we ad a spot called "statue who can't field and uses HGH"? :D