PDA

View Full Version : Cute, newsy article from Hal McCoy

TeamBoone
06-04-2008, 01:19 AM
... especially the last paragraph.

June 3, 2008, 03:06 PM

Life, Liberty and Danny Herrera
By Hal McCoy

At noon - a Philly cheesesteak at Jim’s on South Street with Reds assistant media relations directory Jamie Ramsey (his first cheesesteak) and MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon.

At 1 o’clock - gaping proudly at the Liberty Bell, my first visit in a few years and the first for Mark Sheldon.

They still don’t know who cracked the darn thing and though they twice fixed it, the crack kept coming back. Hey, a little history with your ball.

Doesn’t get much better than that - steak, Cheese-Whiz, onions and a bell more famous than Gus or Buddy.

I know, I know. Some of you think Geno’s is better. Or Pat’s. Or Rick’s. Matter of taste, my friends. I’ve sampled them all. Geno’s is second and I have a lot of people who agree with me.

Ramsay’s report: “Outstanding, man. Very, very good. Deliciously delectable.”

Equipment manager Rick Stowe, two of his sons, and traveling secretary Gary Wahoff visited Independence Hall.

“Along about noon, we were looking at the ink well they used to sign the Declaration of Independence and a copy of the Declaration, both under glass,” said Stowe. “One of the guards said, ‘You folks look trustworthy, like you won’t etch your initials into anything. I’m going to lunch. Lock up when you leave.”

Said Stowe, “I told Wahoff, you take the ink well and I’ll take the Declaration and we’ll put those babies on eBay. But we didn’t.”

Good Americans.

And then the Reds made another roster move as they get younger and younger and younger. Kent Mercker and his troublesome back are back on the DL and the Reds called up left-handed relief pitcher Danny Herrera from Louisville.

Herrera? He is Part II of the trade that sent Josh Hamilton to Texas. The Reds got Edinson Volquez (good enough, right?). They also got 23-year-old Herrera.

He started the season at Class AA Chattanooga and was 3-0 with a 2.55 ERA in 10 relief appearances. After a promotion to Class AAA Louisville he was 0-1 with three saves and a 1.27 ERA in 16 appearances.

He is only 5-7 and 145 pounds (he admits, “I’m only 5-foot-6”) and throws about 84 miles an hour and his best pitch is a screwball. But success is success. He was 10-0 in 17 starts in 2006 at the University of New Mexico, then was a 45th-round (45? Forty-five?) pick in 2006.

Before Monday’s game, Adam Dunn was busily hooking something up to a clubhouse TV.

“It’s old-school, man. Real old-school,” said Dunn. “It’s a Sega Genesis game. NBA Jam. I play one game every day at home against our video guy (Jeff Graupe). We’ve been winning at home, so I brought in on the road.”

Asked who usually won, Dunn said, “You need to ask?”

Then he and Graupe played and Dunn lost, “In triple overtime. You believe that?” Dunn hit a two-run double in Monday night’s game, but the Reds lost, 5-4.

Maybe they should try “Pong.” Grandson, don’t ask.

Ken Griffey Jr., out of the lineup for the second straight night with general soreness, said his son read the paper and thought he was out of the lineup with genital soreness. Well, uh, no.
http://www.daytondailynews.com:80/o/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/cincinnatireds/entries/2008/06/03/life_liberty_and_danny_herrera.html

camisadelgolf
06-04-2008, 01:50 AM
I laughed out loud when I saw that Dunn is playing NBA Jam. He's an interesting guy.

Team Clark
06-05-2008, 10:47 AM
Before Monday’s game, Adam Dunn was busily hooking something up to a clubhouse TV.

“It’s old-school, man. Real old-school,” said Dunn. “It’s a Sega Genesis game. NBA Jam. I play one game every day at home against our video guy (Jeff Graupe). We’ve been winning at home, so I brought in on the road.”

Asked who usually won, Dunn said, “You need to ask?”

Then he and Graupe played and Dunn lost, “In triple overtime. You believe that?” Dunn hit a two-run double in Monday night’s game, but the Reds lost, 5-4.

I love that game. I think that is the one when you get really hot the ball turns to fire!

Caveat Emperor
06-05-2008, 12:19 PM
I love that game. I think that is the one when you get really hot the ball turns to fire!

Also introduced the phrase "Boomshackalacka!" to millions of gamers around the world.

The Genesis version sucked because it didn't have Shaq in it. As anyone who played in the arcade can tell you, the Orlando Magic were the team to play -- Scott Skiles had maxed-out 3 point stats, Shaq had maxed-out dunking stats. They're second only to the NHL 95 Pittsburgh Penguins (featuring Jagr, Lemieux, Franchis, Coffey and Murphy -- all rated 95 or better) as the greatest video game team of all time.

BTW -- this is why Hal McCoy is a great writer. Occasionally he still flashes the brilliant stuff.

Team Clark
06-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Also introduced the phrase "Boomshackalacka!" to millions of gamers around the world.

The Genesis version sucked because it didn't have Shaq in it. As anyone who played in the arcade can tell you, the Orlando Magic were the team to play -- Scott Skiles had maxed-out 3 point stats, Shaq had maxed-out dunking stats. They're second only to the NHL 95 Pittsburgh Penguins (featuring Jagr, Lemieux, Franchis, Coffey and Murphy -- all rated 95 or better) as the greatest video game team of all time.

BTW -- this is why Hal McCoy is a great writer. Occasionally he still flashes the brilliant stuff.

Reminds me of the Tecmo Bowl 49ers, Cowboys and Bills of the late 80's and early 90's. UNSTOPPABLE!!

I remember how ridiculous Skiles was from 3. Dan Majerle was great too but his stamina was an issue. I wish I still had that game.

Hoosier Red
06-05-2008, 12:29 PM

Aside from the Tecmo Bowl Oakland Raiders, I'm not sure there was a larger discrepancy between actual team and virtual team than the early 90's versions of the Blackhawks in those games.

RedsManRick
06-05-2008, 12:34 PM

The heat were pretty darn good too, with Glen Rice and Harold Miner...

Team Clark
06-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Aside from the Tecmo Bowl Oakland Raiders, I'm not sure there was a larger discrepancy between actual team and virtual team than the early 90's versions of the Blackhawks in those games.

I forgot all about the Blackhawks. I was not a big Penguins fan so I remember being the Blackhawks a lot. Good times!

Blitz Dorsey
06-05-2008, 01:00 PM
That's the part about Adam Dunn that I love. Down-to-earth, playing old Sega games with a clubhouse assistant.

I also love the part about Adam Dunn that hits a lot of home runs.

RedsManRick
06-05-2008, 01:22 PM
Hmmm... I'm in a pair of sim leagues and one of the owners was a Jeff Graupe for the longest time. I found about the leagues from a post here on RZ. Wonder if it's the same guy...

Tom Servo
06-05-2008, 01:26 PM
I still have my NBA Jam for Gameboy. Great game.

M2
06-05-2008, 01:31 PM
Geno's makes an awful cheesesteak.

marcshoe
06-05-2008, 01:36 PM
Geno's makes an awful cheesesteak.

I was happy to see Hal give props to Jim's. A great cheesesteak that too often gets overlooked. Fairly cheap too, at least when I was there.

Highlifeman21
06-05-2008, 01:38 PM
Geno's
Steve's Prince of Steaks
Jim's
Tony Luke's
Mama's
Pat's

In that order.

M2
06-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Geno's
Steve's Prince of Steaks
Jim's
Tony Luke's
Mama's
Pat's

In that order.

I hear Chink's is the gold standard. Tony Luke's is a little blah, but they do a quality roast pork (mind you, they've got John's Roast Pork to contend with on that front, and John's does a better cheesesteak)

Geno's specializes in rubbery steaks. As someone who was raised on cheesesteaks I consider them inedible.

Steve's is the one I've got to try.

Chip R
06-05-2008, 03:01 PM
I can't remember which one I had when I was there last year at the game. I'm pretty sure it wasn't Genos. Maybe Tony Luke's. Pretty good but pretty messy.

Highlifeman21
06-05-2008, 10:40 PM
I hear Chink's is the gold standard. Tony Luke's is a little blah, but they do a quality roast pork (mind you, they've got John's Roast Pork to contend with on that front, and John's does a better cheesesteak)

Geno's specializes in rubbery steaks. As someone who was raised on cheesesteaks I consider them inedible.

Steve's is the one I've got to try.

I should have labeled my list better.

My list was a whiz list, ranked in order.

Chink's is one of the best with american cheese. Horrible with whiz, however.

My american list would be....

Steve's
Chink's
Jim's
Mama's
Geno's
Pat's
Tony Luke's

My prov list would be....

Jim's
Chink's
Steve's
Geno's
Tony Luke's
Pat's
Mama's

You're absolutely right about Tony Luke's roast pork. It's their best sandwich, IMO.

Blitz Dorsey
06-06-2008, 12:23 AM
I go with Penn Station up here in the Cheesesteak capital of the world, Columbus, Ohio. LOL.

(Steak Escape is good stuff as well.)

OnBaseMachine
06-13-2008, 12:09 PM
I'll just post this in here...does Hal not have a fact checker? In the last three days he's made these three errors:

In five long and agonizing innings, Cueto walked eight and gave up two home runs during the Cincinnati Reds' 10-0 loss to the Cardinals on Wednesday night, June 11.

And now Cueto leads the National League in two pitching categories that aren't conducive to winning the Cy Young Award:

Most walks: 51.

Umm, Hal. You're wrong. Cueto only has 31 walks and is no where near the leader in walks.

20 draftees signed

The Reds have signed draft picks No. 4 through No. 23 from last Thursday's free agent draft. No. 1 pick Yonder Alonso is playing in the College World Series for the Miami Hurricanes, the Reds didn't have a No. 2 pick and No. 3 Zachary Stewart, a pitcher from Texas Tech, is unsigned.

Sorry Hal, but Zach Stewart signed days ago. Fay has already reported him as signing, plus there was a article with quotes from him that he signed.

Arroyo hadn't homered since 2006 when he did it twice — back-to-back starts against the Chicago Cubs, managed by Dusty Baker.

"I remember the two home runs he hit previously was against me and finally he hit one for me," said Baker.

"Once a year you get lucky and hit one out of the park, and I hope I can keep saying that for the next 10 years," said Arroyo. "It's still a great feeling to square one up. I remember when I hit the second home run against the Cubs, I looked in their dugout and he was shaking his head."

Once again, not true. Arroyo homered off Matt Morris and the Giants on July 5th last season.

Unassisted
06-13-2008, 12:18 PM
I'll just post this in here...does Hal not have a fact checker? In the last three days he's made these three errors:
AFAIK, newspapers have copy editors but not fact checkers. Since morning newspapers are put together in the wee hours of the morning, it'd be a little difficult for fact checkers to call sources at 0200 to verify the facts.

TeamBoone
06-13-2008, 10:52 PM
AFAIK, newspapers have copy editors but not fact checkers. Since morning newspapers are put together in the wee hours of the morning, it'd be a little difficult for fact checkers to call sources at 0200 to verify the facts.

That's when the newspapers are assembled/printed, but writers' deadlines are much earlier.